• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Duke controller re-releasing for XB1 & PC Holiday 2017

I'll get this just for playing some Halo CE and Crimson Skies on Xbox BC. It'll probably take me forever again to remember to locate the black and white buttons with any consistency.

Shifty

Yesssss give it to me.

Though preferably fix the logo so it isn't squashed from 4:3 at 16:9 with black bars > 4:3 like it is in that teaser video.

Oh good.

They did.

Oh hey you are right, they have the sticks the wrong way around.

If this releases with the sticks wrong i'm going to laugh.

Oh bad.

Maybe they figured that the wider thumb pad was better for fine aiming?

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Oh, are we posting Penny-Arcade comics?

i-FgdBzx3.jpg

Alx

I had to google it to refresh my memories, but I had forgotten that the centerpiece was that huge. Weird. I guess the smaller logo increases that feeling.
I was fine with the Duke at the time, but don't really miss it tbh. Its main interesting idea was the wiggly d-pad, that made it quite comfortable to use. Also 6 front facing buttons is great for old Capcom fighting games, but there aren't that many of them.

kubev

Why is the middle logo area a screen now? Was that really necessary?

It'll come in handy for when Microsoft adds Dreamcast to Xbox One Backwards Compatibility, though, right? Right?! (Hey, it was rumored that the original Xbox was intended to have Dreamcast support at some point.)

iosefe

So excited for this controller. I've got Halo installed in my PC ready to play already

Who named it the Duke anyway?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Funny how the controller is so huge, but the white and black buttons are super tiny.

The S was so much better. Maybe they'll bring that back next.

Why Microsoft decided to reléase 2 different controllers in the japanese and us market?

The S controller was designed for people with smaller hands. People in Japan apparently have smaller hands, so the Duke wouldn't have really worked for the vast majority of them, thus why they designed the S controller. Granted, the controller became so popular that MS released it in every territory later on and it later replaced the Duke completely.

I remember playing Soul Calibur 2 with friends for an entire night with this thing when I first bought my OG Xbox. We played from 5pm one day until about 8am the next morning. 4 of us swapping controllers back and forth. This thing was a beast but as someone with big hands it was amazing.

dlauv

I have one for the original Xbox. The right stick has different sensitivity settings than the S, which can make later Xbox shooters a pain in the ass. Also, holding it for too long gives me hand cramps. The directional pad is garbage. The six-button layout is almost good. The sticks themselves feel great.

You know, they only made these because the hardware manufacturer they were working with only dealt with hardware of a certain size, so they settled on the Duke at the time.

ElNino

Have you ever used the Duke? It's huge. Most people found it uncomfortable.
It was big, yes. Too big for most people. However, as for comfort it was still more comfortable for me than any of the PS controllers (PS4 included) due to the left stick placement. Playing Destiny 2 recently has reminded me how uncomfortable it can be if your hand starts cramping due to your thumb position.

_SAKY_

For me, playing a console game with anything other than the controller which the game was designed for is unacceptable so I am really looking forward to this product. I'd like to see some 360 controller compatibility next. Perhaps an inexpensive usb dongle.

Being able to remap the controls, via the XBO OS, may benefit some or most of these old games that likely have dated control schemes by today's standards.

Keep it coming MS. This is great stuff for the current and future retro communities.

They should have made a next gen Duke. One which is more like the current official pad but bigger. That would have had a decent market I think instead of this monstrosity.

Using the black and white buttons instead of left and right bumpers would be weird. idk if I can go back to that, but I do love the form factor.

edit: nvm just saw that this will have bumpers. They look pretty bad though :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely will be keeping an eye on this. The screen is kind of odd.

Furyous

The Duke was my shit playing NFL Fever in a Best Buy. A friend of mine bought one and we played it nonstop. It's just something special about holding a batarang sized controller. We called it the Batman. I wish Sony had something like this available.

Salute to Microsoft for going retro on everyone.

Unknown?

It was big, yes. Too big for most people. However, as for comfort it was still more comfortable for me than any of the PS controllers (PS4 included) due to the left stick placement. Playing Destiny 2 recently has reminded me how uncomfortable it can be if your hand starts cramping due to your thumb position.

Rofl! So on the PS4 both thumbs cramp but on Xbox only your right thumb cramps?

Top Bottom