• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, someone explain to me why Majora's Mask's save system works the way it does

nakedeyes

Banned
pretty simple really.. Owl system is seriously just there so you can turn off your machine for a while without playing the song of time and restarting the timer..

If you play song of time, then OWL save, then load that save, then die.. you also start from the song of time point. Its a single-save-single-load type save.

Its not exclusive to MM as well, there have been a few games before and after MM with similar save systems.

This thread is seriously just a byproduct of modern gaming's persistent hand holding, and de-emphasis on death penalties. Kids nowadays and all that. Love you GAF!

I think I'll leave it at that too. This is the Fire Emblem Casual mode debate all over again, where people over-dramatize the changes before the game actually comes out, then nobody ever mentions it again when they realize they can still enjoy their game the exact same way as before. The save system is not the center piece by which all of MM holds together.

This is different from Casual Mode in FE though, since having save states in MM removes any semblance of difficulty in the game. Any consequences from your decisions (or lack thereof) are gone since you can just go back and redo it lickity split. It's why I'm not a huge fan of the save system in the Ace Attorney games since they're abusable in the same way (I try not to abuse it, but damn it's hard sometimes).

MM is a game where you have to commit to your plan for that session. I've fucked up countless times in playthroughs, but aside from one instance where my file was deleted, I've never been frustrated with how the game's rules work regarding saving. Challenged, yes. But rarely, if ever, frustrated.

For the record though, I'm not completely opposed to a Casual Mode difficulty so people can have that save system. Just keep it separate from the normal difficulty.

extralite

MM is my second favorite Zelda after LA exactly because it is so unique.

Song of soaring. talk to owl statue. Save. Was that so hard?
Exactly. When you're outside a dungeon, you can save anytime without losing much progress.

Look, even if it's just temporary saves anywhere instead of just at owl statues, it'll be good enough for me.
But then you could save in dungeons. I could see it be added to a portable version because that's the playstyle on portables but it would be an undesirable impact on difficulty. It would impact the design in a negative way.

Yep, and this is why I loved it as a save system. Every moment mattered in that game, and the sense of tension and pressure was continually palpable. Pikmin was similar, but to a lesser degree. I love having that pressure placed on me in a game.
True. Nintendo (or Miyamoto in particular) have this problem that they need to make games anyone can and will play but also keep some sense of difficulty intact. MM and Pikmin offer a great compromise between time limit and savable progress. Just don't make everything you won permanent.

You're just twisting it to make the statu quo seem more appealing than it is. Tedium is not the developers' vision, the themes are not shattered from the added option of saving. The themes are perfectly intact, the oppressing atmosphere of having to hurry is still there. You'd still have to replay events multiple time.
But the game is not tedious at all. The way it is designed there is always a direct way to your goal that is blocked so you have to sidetrack, obtain an item or ability and then be returned to where you started. Next time you pass this point you can just take the direct way.

When you restart a cycle you need to return to the location you were at last but the way there is much shorter than the first time you took it. There is a sense of maintained progress like in an RPG, taking on a location the second time is always much easier than the last time.

Giving the player that sense of growth and accomplishment is an achievement in itself. It is a good thing you have to go there again, you will notice how you get better and more efficient.

I feel like if some of you had been raised on the japanese version, you'd be arguing that suspended save was twisting the developers' vision of "having to play through the 3 day cycles in one sitting" and that the western version was crap.
Some might argue that way but it would be wrong. The owl statues don't give you any advantage, the time limit stays intact. They're an addition that doesn't negatively impact what the game set out to do.

Can you not go down the slippery slope? It gets old to have your arguments twisted into something clearly unwinnable. Saving permanently at owls isn't anything crazy like that, not even close. Don't be obtuse, the game's mechanics do not lie on the lack of saving options at the owls.
But they do. The urgency depends on the time limit not being reversible. You go all the way back or forward. It is only Link who gets better at the things he needs to do.

Again, were you guys against casual mode in Fire Emblem? The game survived just fine to its addition and I now have a lot more friends who play it. Are you guys boycotting Virtual Console games on the 3DS because they have savestates too?
The saving mechanics in MM are not external to the game plot like in FE. FE is a much more harder game to begin with and the easy modes for the Wii game already let you keep your suspend saves on a retry. Giving players different options for difficulty makes sense but in MM saving is also integrated into the world view and story.

Save states in VC are hidden in a menu, if you don't seek them out you will at first use the ingame saving features as originally intended. Save states are also dangerous because as some have already stated in this thread you can lose progress by accidentally loading instead of saving.

They're a nice feature to adjust difficulty but you will rob yourself of the accomplishment. It's your choice but it is a cheating feature after all.

The reason I play FE on classic mode is because the game is about your tactics and skill. MM, on the other hand, is really not so challenging that the lack of permanent save adds anything besides tedium for me. Usually, you end up having to replay something simply because you lacked the necessary information, nothing more. Dungeons, though, are always really easy to clear on first try, owl saves won't exactly make it much easier.

A remake should absolutely try to win back some of the people who hated the game because of the limited saving options. Hero Mode would be the perfect compromise, imo. Give the option of permanent saving in the normal quest, but Hero Mode is x2 damage + suspended saves only. There is no problem with this set up.
The difficulty in MM lies in time management, not in dying all the time. What you describe is much more frustrating (edit: and tedious, actually) than MM really is. The hardest bits in MM were making some of the NPCs happy. Which wasn't about battles.

And you greatly overstate the supposed tediousness. Edit: Three days are reasonably long, whatever you repeat will be far enough in the past that it will feel fresh again. It also gives you time to let your experience sink in.

Mix up your approaches and do different things, there will be not much repetition at all. Edit: Instead there will be variation and more complex plans.

Also, there were plenty of Zeldas after MM that used different saving mechanics. MM doesn't need to win back people (if at all that would have been the job of the Zelda games that came after MM). It needs to appeal to new gamers that would also have liked MM back when it came out.

I feel it's better to not remake MM at all than to make it like every other game.

Okamid3n

This is different from Casual Mode in FE though, since having save states in MM removes any semblance of difficulty in the game.

Casual mode in FE also added permanent saves any time during chapter. It absolutely broke the game way, way more than owl saves would. There aren't even that many owls.

For the record though, I'm not completely opposed to a Casual Mode difficulty so people can have that save system. Just keep it separate from the normal difficulty.

Yes. There's no problem with that.

extralite

Casual mode in FE also added permanent saves any time during chapter. It absolutely broke the game way, way more than owl saves would. There aren't even that many owls.

It's also a pretty common save type in srpgs though. BL has it, the PS version of TO has it and the easy modes of some older FEs (before the 3DS one) have it. But in SRPGs it can also happen that you're already screwed at the time of saving and need to start over from the beginning of the battle regardless.

It's not really a good comparison to MM. The suspended saves in MM need not and should not be made permanent.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Can we please address these issues on a case-by-case basis instead of creating easier-to-attack hypotheticals? No one's asking to go option-crazy, I'm just talking about the most discussed and only issue people seem to have with an otherwise near-perfect game. Thank you.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, the game is based on a time loop. You are time traveling back to the 1st day. A save file that you can return to repeatedly creates a meta time loop outside of the game itself, defeating the purpose of a time loop at all. It is exactly the same as turning off gravity in a platformer, or not taking damage in a FPS.

ramparter

Banned
Accidents can happen like power cut or just game freeze (has actually happened while playing MM). Defenders can say whatever they want, fact is the system is faulty, alienates many players and has costed MM reputation.
The main reason I want a remake is because they will most certainly fix it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Accidents can happen like power cut or just game freeze (has actually happened while playing MM). Defenders can say whatever they want, fact is the system is faulty, alienates many players and has costed MM reputation.
The main reason I want a remake is because they will most certainly fix it.

So you'd prefer a game that saves your progress every so often like Dark Souls and returns you to the exact point you left off with no option to load an old save file? I'd actually support that

OMG Aero

The dumb owl statues are the reason why I've never finished Majora's Mask.
The only version of Majora's Mask I've owned is the one on the Gamecube collection disc, which is a really bad version of that game and sometimes will just crash. Every single time I have ever tried to play through Majora's Mask the game will crash on me after I've spent hours making progress or doing sidequests and then I have to start all the way back at my last song of time save, so I just quit playing the game.

the problem is that you have to throw the eggs you've collected in a pond in the lab, once you drop them there, they remain there permanently, even after playing the song of time (if I remember correctly....)

No, they don't remain. The only thing in the world that remains is whether you've activated the owl statues. Everything else resets. The only things saved are your non-refillable items (including songs and upgrades) and the owl statues.

Majora's Mask seems like a real pain-in-the-ass to play. I wonder if they'll streamline that stuff for the eventual 3DS remake.

hmmm i think the reason majoras mask 3DS hasn't happened yet is to "fix" or make changes to this.

10 or 11 year old me never had a problem with it and i 100% the game by getting all hearts and masks, i can't do that today if i tried haha

Wasp

Many Nintendo games have weird save systems.

In NSMBU the game will only save after a castle or tower level which are placed 5 or 6 levels apart. You have to beat the game before being allowed the ability to save after every level.

Mario Galaxy is fine as it asks you yes/no if you want to save after every level, but why the hell wouldn't I want to save? There's no need to ask me, just autosave.

3D World is much better as it autosaves after every level, although even this is slightly annoying as it pauses the game for 5 seconds to do so.

Loofy

MM's save system isnt that much different from Ocarina or any other Zelda game.
Only difference is that you cant just quit while youre doing a dungeon, you have to teleport out and save at a statue.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
But the game is supposed to be frustrating to some point.

The entire game is about being stuck in a 3 day time loop. Frustration is one of the core emotions people would probably feel if they were in that situation. So yes, it is very important that people cannot us owl statues as permanent saves, because it is important that if a quest takes multiple days/events to complete, and they need to be completed in order, then the player shouldn't be allowed to redo one part until they get it and then move on to the next part, save, redo until you get it, next part, save, redo until you get it, etc. You gotta go through every day. That's the way it is. It's not a flaw. If you don't like it, fine, but the game actually does what it's supposed to do (puts the player in the characters shoes) and does it well.

The original version didn't even have the owl statues. Would you then say that the owl statues as they currently are hurt the game compared with its original vision?

Yes, it's because publishers are pussies who want to make easy games so they won't scare the baby gamers and sell more.

If you can't stand going back to the beginning of the level when you miss a platform, maybe you should change hobby.

There is nothing challenging about having to play a game all the way from the beginning every time you load it up.

Oblivion

Also, I don't really get the complaints about having hard saves would encourage cheating. You could make the exact same argument for Ocarina or any other game that has a save feature.

You don't do this in MM though.

I know, I was referring to SMB2 and many NES games that didn't have save functions at all.

Ninjimbo

Majora's Mask seems like a real pain-in-the-ass to play. I wonder if they'll streamline that stuff for the eventual 3DS remake.
It really isn't. The game handles itself like any other Zelda except that it asks you to be a little more concious of how you spend your time since there's a limit. The game is small. You can explore the bulk of it in 20 minutes and the game is very linear so you always know where you have to be and what you should be doing. It's not stressful unless you have some sort of weird anxiety against time limits. If you're the type of person who stresses out on timed tests, then yeah, maybe MM isn't for you.

The game is very fair and it leans on the easy side of things.

That said, a remake could clean up a lot of the technical problems in the game. MM had a lot of those.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I never trusted the owls as a kid, I only used them as a last resort. Basically from what I gathered when the game first came out the save stayed there until I loaded the game again then it would go away and the game would continue as if I had never saved, so I was always super paranoid of those owl statues.

The only time I'd ever use the Owls to save would be if I'd hear my mom calling down for me to come at once or something needed me to get off the N64 within 5 minutes.

The game felt structured around needing to cast the song of time to make anything feel "permanent" if that makes sense.

Zing

Banned
So it basically acts like a "resume" save like in a handheld game?
Yes. Think NSMB2's "quick save". The owls are just a temporary save to allow quitting the game at odd intervals. I'm not sure why this is so confusing.

ec0ec0

Owl Statue saving wasn't even in the Japanese version, it was added to make the game easier for the west.

Hahaha... Gaf is always informed (even the first person to see a thread knows all the answers :p)

edit: so people didnt "trust" the owls when they were kids... amazing.

(it was so easy to understand, and the game actually told you something about it)

extralite

I know, I was referring to SMB2 and many NES games that didn't have save functions at all.

Then you're still missing the point of the poster you replied to. He said level, not game. And having to do the level again, even from a restart point, makes it difficult.

In MM the scope is bigger (3 days instead of a level length) and the pace slower but you only have to repeat certain things and can do lots of new stuff in addition to what you did before.

Oblivion

Then you're still missing the point of the poster you replied to. He said level, not game. And having to do the level again, even from a restart point, makes it difficult.

In MM the scope is bigger (3 days instead of a level length) and the pace slower but you only have to repeat certain things and can do lots of new stuff in addition to what you did before.

Oh...I missed that part of his post for some reason. I thought he meant restarting the entire game from the beginning, which is what you had to do with those games when you shut off your system.

In any case, sure we would agree that there's a rather vast difference between having to restart a level that would take less than a minute to complete, compared restarting several hours worth of work, yes?

extralite

Oh...I missed that part of his post for some reason. I thought he meant restarting the entire game from the beginning, which is what you had to do with those games when you shut off your system.

In any case, sure we would agree that there's a rather vast difference between having to restart a level that would take less than a minute to complete, compared restarting several hours worth of work, yes?

What exactly would several hours of work apply to? Certainly not any of the games you named.

Jamix012

Can you not go down the slippery slope? It gets old to have your arguments twisted into something clearly unwinnable. Saving permanently at owls isn't anything crazy like that, not even close. Don't be obtuse, the game's mechanics do not lie on the lack of saving options at the owls.
But they do largely. I'm not going to run over the same argument for the 4th of 5th time.

Again, were you guys against casual mode in Fire Emblem? The game survived just fine to its addition and I now have a lot more friends who play it. Are you guys boycotting Virtual Console games on the 3DS because they have savestates too?
Yes actually, I don't buy virtual console console games because of save states largely. I did buy some but I realised that having save states ruined the experience for me, so I don't anymore. Regarding Casual Mode in Fire Emblem, yes I was against it somewhat, but it's fine because the game was designed with casual mode in mind. If they re-released an older fire emblem and added a casual mode, I'd probably not enjoy it.
The reason I play FE on classic mode is because the game is about your tactics and skill. MM, on the other hand, is really not so challenging that the lack of permanent save adds anything besides tedium for me. Usually, you end up having to replay something simply because you lacked the necessary information, nothing more. Dungeons, though, are always really easy to clear on first try, owl saves won't exactly make it much easier.
Key words: for you. It honestly sounds like you don't really like parts of MM and frankly, that's fine. But stop insisting it has to change just because you don't like the save system
A remake should absolutely try to win back some of the people who hated the game because of the limited saving options. Hero Mode would be the perfect compromise, imo. Give the option of permanent saving in the normal quest, but Hero Mode is x2 damage + suspended saves only. There is no problem with this set up.

This is not a solution. I'm generally against varying difficulties in games unless going on a higher difficulty rewards me somehow (an obscure example is in Pokemon Puzzle League you can only face the true final boss if you do very hard.) It doesn't need to be a big incentive, but even like an alt costume for link as a reward for doing hard would be fine for me.
Besides, what if I want to play the game normally, but without 2x damage (which would probably be the mode I'd play)? 3 difficulties would be overkill.

Oblivion

What exactly would several hours of work apply to? Certainly not any of the games you named.

I meant what you had to do between dungeons.

And yes, many NES games would take you a few hours to beat from start to finish.

extralite

I meant what you had to do between dungeons.

And yes, many NES games would take you a few hours to beat from start to finish.

What you have to do between dungeons you either don't have to do again or won't take hours.

And NES games used warps, passwords and batteries to not take hours in one session. I'd say two hours at most.

The save system ruined the game for me. Only 3D Zelda I never finished.
Then you're missing out. It's so awesome to beat a boss just before the moon hits and you play the song of time with only seconds left.

Oblivion

Yes actually, I don't buy virtual console console games because of save states largely. I did buy some but I realised that having save states ruined the experience for me, so I don't anymore.

Damn, that's pretty extreme, yo. But at least you're principled I guess.

What you have to do between dungeons you either don't have to do again or won't take hours.

And NES games used warps, passwords and batteries to not take hours in one session. I'd say two hours at most.

It takes a good amount of time to do the stuff between dungeons. Especially when you're going to the Great Bay Temple. The process going there is particularly tedious.

And yes, NES games had those things, which were really nice because developers also seemed to realize having to start over all the time can be kind of annoying.

Okamid3n

EDIT: I think I should really stop now, we all made our points and we're just going in circles.

I appreciated the debate and I can say I understand the opposing point of view a bit more now.

*Sigh*...I just want this fanbase to recognize that this game can have flaws, It's a great game but it's not this holy divine gift from the sky that can do no wrong. Listen, if a feature is so obtuse and cumbersome that at every turn I find myself growing ever frustrated with the game to the extent that I don't want to play it anymore, then it's a flaw. Saving is massively important to games, and put frankly I hate repetition, so in my eyes having my save deleted after I resume playing is asinine regardless of how it plays into the theme. Furthermore, having the owl statues be permanent wouldn't ruin the game, I know because every time I play the game I use the second save slot as backup of my save, yet I'm still able to enjoy it. The only real problem that arises is the fact that people could keep retrying if the moon fell, and the easy and logical way to fix that is to just have the moon overwrite any saves when it falls.
There's no flaw here. A flaw is poor framerate or glitches. This is a bold and intentional facet of the games design and if you don't like it then it's simply not for you. Is a roguelike flawed because you can't quicksave? No. That doesn't mean you have to like roguelikes either. If it really bothers you that much just play it on pc with an emulator and enjoy your cozy easy mode. Don't tell the rest of us that we're 'blind to the games flaws' because we appreciate a fundamental, fully intentional aspect of the games design that makes it unique, tense and memorable.

Blue-kun

I'm always pretty amazed by how bothered by MM'save system some people are. I played the game for the first time when I was like, 12 years old, and had no issue completing it, nor did I ever think the save system was hindering me at any given time.

I guess it depends on who's playing, but the way I see it for someone to call this unplayable due to the way it handles saves, that person would have to be someone who never disposes of ~3 hours to play a game, while at the same time being prone to ignoring the owl statues for... whatever reason.

As I grew older and started to work, I can see how having to sit down for 3 hours might be a problem, as you start having other things on your mind and taking your time. But the original western release fixed that giving you the quick save option, so you can actually suspend and continue the game at any given time you want.

And on a more personal note, I really don't understand why MM is the only game that gets some flak for its save system, when, in fact, it might be the only Zelda that handles it decently enough -- given its theme and what not.

In OoT you could save by pressing START, yes, but doing so would send you back to the start of a dungeon or to the Temple of Time/Link's House. Technically, it works pretty much the same way as MM, except you don't need to play a song and the "save" isn't temporary (no reason for it to be, after all, as the game will never reset what you've done anyway...).

ALBW has those save statues outside of dungeons, and if you want to actually save your game, you have to walk out of them and talk to that statue thingy. Again, it's not a save anywhere deal, and it WILL make you backtrack and walk through rooms you've already "cleared" when you load. Plus, unlike MM, there's basically very little reason for it to work this way, as I don't think a save anywhere would've changed the game dramatically.

And this would apply to a bunch of other games in the series, too, but no need to elaborate as you guys know how it works by now.

extralite

It takes a good amount of time to do the stuff between dungeons. Especially when you're going to the Great Bay Temple. The process going there is particularly tedious.
I understand that you failed to save because you didn't read the explanations for the owls but that far into the game when you use the inverted song of time even (otherwise you cannot spend more than an hour before the moon hits) it really is tough luck that you didn't grasp the system by then. I guess you'd have been better off without the owls so the Japanese version is better for people who fail to understand suspend saves.

Plus, unlike MM, there's basically very little reason for it to work this way, as I don't think a save anywhere would've changed the game dramatically.

It has already been explained but save anywhere is a problem because you can save when you're full health and stocked up on curative items and keep going back to that save and update it as you progress without making mistakes. As opposed to having to beat a dungeon from the entrance to the boss and having to eat the damage you get for playing badly. Less health, tougher boss. Save anywhere cheats that system. Which is why some dislike VC with instant saves.

In the case of later Zeldas and their boss room teleporters it would more apply to the sequences until you unlock the teleporter though. But it's the same principle, saving makes it easier to keep an amount of health with which you can clear the whole sequence.

From a design perspective, the fact that the owl symbol appears next to your save says that it is very intentional. There would be no good reason to distinguish between saves if their mechanics worked the exact same way. It lets the player know beforehand what they're getting into.

It prevents save/reload spamming for timed events like the couple's mask or protecting the farm.

Personally, I don't think it's the game's fault if I don't have a few hours to set aside for it. It just means the game isn't for me and my oh so busy schedule.

extralite

Personally, I don't think it's the game's fault if I don't have a few hours to set aside for it. It just means the game isn't for me and my oh so busy schedule.

I think you (like many others who haven't played the game) misunderstand the time needed to play it. You don't have to play the game for hours at a time, the US version has owl saves so you can take breaks. Even in the Japanese version, playing 3 hours without saving is an option, not a necessity. The longest you even *can* play without (permanent) saving is shy of an hour at the beginning. You're forced to save by then.

It is also one of the shortest Zeldas (and the shortest 3D Zelda), you can beat it in 20 hours (maybe less) if you only do the dungeons. 40 hours if also you do the townfolk adventuring bits. That is still shorter than OoT was.

Top Bottom