• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? John Davison: "A special 1upyours this w/end. Think retro, think 2yrs ago".

Haunted said:
The funniest parts were

- Luke vs Shane in general.

- Luke cracking up repeatedly over Sony's NPD performance.

- Mark imitating Shane in the signoff. Funniest moment in any podcast, ever.

Here's hoping they can catch lightning in a bottle again.

Have any links to some good examples?

skip

3195980092_64e76c3ba3.jpg

Alphahawk

voltron said:
I agree.

who knows what will happen though. Yours might continue in some capacity.

From what I gathered from Garnetts recent blog 1upYours will probobly continue but under a different name. UGO really likes the show apparently.

Can't wait for friday...

Akia

make it one really long episode.

or record anepisode on saturday and sunday or something.

this is going to have to last us a looooong while

voltron

Akia said:
make it one really long episode.

or record anepisode on saturday and sunday or something.

this is going to have to last us a looooong while

I suggest you guys go listen to the What They Play podcast to get a sense of how excited JOhn sounded. He made it sound pretty epic.

They are recording on the weekend too, it wont be available until next week or something.

Haunted

lowlylowlycook said:
Have any links to some good examples?
Check the 1UPYours preservation society thread, I'm sure people can help you out there. It's been so long, no idea which episode these were in. Early 07, a couple months after PS3 and Wii launched iirc.

dexterslu

"In the mean time though we will be coming together to do something very special a complete retrospective to 1up yours, I don’t want to give to much away here but if you think back about 2 years ago you’ll get an idea about the thing that we have in mind" - John from what they play podcast about the last 10 minutes of the podcast is when he speaks about it

ice cream

Banned
dexterslu said:
"In the mean time though we will be coming together to do something very special a complete retrospective to 1up yours, I don’t want to give to much away here but if you think back about 2 years ago you’ll get an idea about the thing that we have in mind" - John from what they play podcast about the last 10 minutes of the podcast is when he speaks about it
Thanks, was just gonna ask someone in this thread to give me the time at what he says it.

voltron

dexterslu said:

Well yeah that what prompted me to make the thread ;)

Speaking of NPDs, anyone know when they drop? (how many hrs)

dexterslu

voltron said:
Well yeah that what prompted me to make the thread ;)

Speaking of NPDs, anyone know when they drop? (how many hrs)
Yeah, people were asking for specifics and times. Didn't mean to steal your thunder!

voltron

ice cream said:
Thanks, was just gonna ask someone in this thread to give me the time at what he says it.

voltron said:
(about 41mins into the WTP podcast).

edit,

dexterslu said:
Yeah, people were asking for specifics and times. Didn't mean to steal your thunder!

Yeh I prob didnt make it obvious enough in the OP. Didnt bother me, I just thought you might not have realised.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope that this is just a transition type deal and that the podcast will continue in some capacity.

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
I hope that this is just a transition type deal and that the podcast will continue in some capacity.

It would be nice to hear some details on the future at least.

suaveric

Y2Kev said:

It's my understanding that Garnett probably will continue on with another podcast, but it might not be called 1up yours.

voltron

Y2Kev said:

Listen to the most recent WTP play podcast. I gleaned from Johns tone that he really wasnt sure what the future holds for 1upyours. It seemed their immediate goal was to put together on last epic show with the original crew.

He definitely seemed open to the idea of continuing, especially as he received so many letters to him personally asking about it (1upyours).

Oh man this will be epic. Great way to bookend the run of 1UP Yours.

I'm really glad Garnett will continue after this, but I'm also glad he's changing the name, giving it a life of its own.

voltron

Polmacaoidh said:
Oh man this will be epic. Great way to bookend the run of 1UP Yours.

I'm really glad Garnett will continue after this, but I'm glad he's changing the name also.

huh?

That hasnt been confirmed anywhere.

Flavius

I have a feeeevah, and the only CURE is more...

John, Luke, Garnett, & Shane (Mark too, if he can manage it!)

Most downloaded 1up Yours of the forevah confirmed!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Well, I hope this is better than anything else that's come from the general 1UP direction in the past months. The last time I found anything awesome from there, be it stuff from the laid-off guys or from the staff, was the Retronauts cast, before that another Retronauts cast and another Retronauts cast. I'm sorry, but since November or so, they're at best okay in my opinion, and that saddens me because they were at the top of their game maybe 2 months before that.

Garnett, Shane, John, Luke, Mark....oh man....if they can pull in Mark and Luke.....it will be the most epic thing ever. And it has to be like 3 hours!

I'm probably alone in this but I'd rate Garnett, John, Mark and Bryan over either Luke or Shane.

I figure that the Shane love became more about people buying into the meme, but the Luke nostalgia escape's me. He was as much a paid up fanboy as Shane, without the benefit of an encyclopedic knowledge of gaming history, or the desire to play anything other than Halo or WoW.

voltron

HowardRoark said:
Looks like it's still in planning stages?

"jwhdavison lunching with @GarnettLee to plot something"

Just organising when to go record Id say. Luke is already in town and John mentioned (check OP) that they had organised to record on the w/end.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm probably alone in this but I'd rate Garnett, John, Mark and Bryan over either Luke or Shane.

I figure that the Shane love became more about people buying into the meme, but the Luke nostalgia escape's me. He was as much a paid up fanboy as Shane, without the benefit of an encyclopedic knowledge of gaming history, or the desire to play anything other than Halo or WoW.

Luke had his shit together when it came to news and NPD's. Luke was very much a part of what made 1up yours so awesome back then.

diss

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:

alright, it's time for podcast overanalysis

first: luke is hilarious. he's like shane, or jeff green in that they can be on anything and it's automatically enjoyable because they're so fucking funny

second: the 1up yours "style" was built around these 4 (plus special guest star mark), and with the lineup of garnett, luke, shane and john theres a enthusiasm and chemistry that keeps the show moving and entertaining. listen to a podcast with those 4, and then listen to one where luke and john are replaced with bryan and shawn (great podcasters in their own right), or random guests. it's a different dynamic, it seems slower, and garnett says more things that seem awkward because he's running the show like nothing's changed

meanwhile i think he should keep going with 1up yours and with the 1up yours name unless he's tired of it. because fuck, it's his goddamn show, and it's gone through some shitty times but it's always picked itself up again

iFootball

MikeE21286 said:
Garnett, Shane, John, Luke, Mark....oh man....if they can pull in Mark and Luke.....it will be the most epic thing ever. And it has to be like 3 hours!

I'll take 5+ hours please ;)....

Anyways, it sounds awesome, anything they can come up with sounds good....

so, I stood for a moment and I was thinking... why do I care about these people and their podcasts and their current situation???..... although a lot of people do not like de 1UP crew, in my case from the first podcasts I heard/saw from these guys, they sounded like good old friends to me, with a lot of topics in common , same sense of humor, interests etc (I'm in the same age group I guess..)... Although I've always loved and played games, I had never been so into the 'gaming scene' as nowadays, and now I've learned a lot more with them, while having a great time (hey!, they even directed me to GAF for the first time)..... it's strange how this 'connection' thru videogames with these guys makes me think of them as 'friends', even though I've never met them personally.... you could say they're type of people I'd like to hang out and talk/play games with, just like with my current friends...

Anyways, this podcast is great way to say goodbye!

edit*: typos..

Top Bottom