• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N7.Angel

Yeah Macron is the future President, fuck that but whatever, people need to stop crying because Lepen will never beat Macron in the secound round, not even close.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
so france is one step closer to trump 2.0. I get that there's another round, but people were doubting trump and then boom, next thing you know that orange dildo is kicking muslims in the mouth. Don't get complacment, mes amis.

Man, I hope this stupidity will finally put to rest after the second round. As if Austria (where extreme right is much more popular than in France) and Belgium haven't already shown that continental Europe is a different thing that US. Not to even talk about how Clinton would have won under the French electoral system.

So 3rd and 4th place, who are their voters likely to vote for conservatives or progressives?

Some of Fillon's voters probably are going to flock to Le Pen, but I think that Macron is going to pull ahead significantly since he'll get most of the remaining supporters.

Magni

Asselineau 0,8% lol so much for that second round finish
will those young naïfs finally learn that the polls weren't lying?

Good for you. It's always great to see people passionate about voting.

Those lines in Montreal were insane. Are they always like that or was there an influx this year?

No, it was crazy this year, they got +30% voters in like the last months, and they canceled e-voting which is huge deal here... It usually takes 40mins to an hour max to vote, this was crazy.

---

And, please guys, let's just vote Macron, the choice is simple.

Tiberius

so france is one step closer to trump 2.0. I get that there's another round, but people were doubting trump and then boom, next thing you know that orange dildo is kicking muslims in the mouth. Don't get complacment, mes amis.
No the election is over it will be 2002 again

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Even though the outcome was expected, I still had a tinge of sadness seeing Le Pen in the top 2. It's terrifying.

Her worst dad made it to 2nd before so it's not new and really not surprising, was more surprising back in 2002.

Lanf

Some people in this thread... smh. This was the expected outcome of the first round, and as good as we could hope for, imo.

Macron should have no problem winning this in two weeks. Just go vote my southern brethren.

Eligor

Neo Member
Sad to see Mélenchon go. A 2nd turn debate between him and Macron would have been more interesting than what we're about to endure for the next two weeks.

Ac30

The best possible outcome would have been Macron - Fillon to be fair. But yeah it's the second best possible outcome.

Fillon doesn't care about the EU, though - he seems totally ambivalent. At least Macron campaigned on further integration. Fillon likes the status quo, which *is* unsustainable.

RPGCrazied

I knew who Le Pen was. I want anyone but her to win. She was visiting Putin, Putin donated to her campaign. When does the runoff vote start? I swear if she wins this world is fucked.

Okay. Is this a done deal?

Because I'm terrified of saying those numbers are final, given how close they are and they're just estimates now.

Knowing how in the end results can vary from the initial numbers (in Holland the PVV gained still two seats, in the US the Republicans always gain on Democrats because of early voting vs on-day voting, in brexit seemed to be dismissed at the beginning of the evening when results came in,...), can I rest assured it's Macron (vs Le Pen)?

Magni

No, it was crazy this year, they got +30% voters in like the last months, and they canceled e-voting which is huge deal here... It usually takes 40mins to an hour max to vote, this was crazy.

---

And, please guys, let's just vote Macron, the choice is simple.

e-voting was never planned for the presidential elections, it was only planned for the legislatives.

And yes, the choice is as simple as it gets.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You guys are aware that this is a two-rounds election, right? She's not even leading, she has no realistic chances of winning the election.

I could be more pleased with the result too, but it's not doom and gloom at all.

Yeah but she's tied with Macron at 23%. That's way more support than she deserves. She shouldn't even make it into the 2nd round.

Tamanator

Some of Fillon's voters probably are going to flock to Le Pen, but I think that Macron is going to pull ahead significantly since he'll get most of the remaining supporters.

Some Melenchon voters will go Le Pen as well, especially due to the anti-EU angle, since the election will truly take the angle of pro-EU vs anti-EU. Fillon's voters will split in three, with the social conservatives staying home, the more nationalist leaning supporters going Le Pen and the Economic liberals going Macron.

Moppeh

Banned
This gotta be a fucking joke, one candidat that is basically François Hollande but worse and another one that is just a Nazi in disguise.

Fuck this shit seriously.

It is also shit, come on

Hamon was the best candidate and he got dumpstered. Out of the top 4, Macron was the best choice. I would have preferred someone more left wing but Melenchon is a little too wacky for me.

EDIT: I'm also surprised to see so many people bummed out on the other page. I guess there were more Melenchon voters on GAF than I thought.

Iksenpets

Banned
Well now I can exhale for the first time in months. Thank you, France! Now Macron just has to hold the whole world together as de facto leader of the free world (along with Merkel) for at least a few years until America can right itself.

Koren

Macron is the luckiest guy in France... Honestly, everything happened to put him on track.

But I'm happy for something else:

Will they stop with this primary elections nonsense now? Both candidates from primaries are out, one being only at 6%. It's just an awful system in the fifth republic...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The polls were so good actually. The stupid talk about the polls can stop now. Lepen had no chance. And that's great. Still, go out and vote in the second round.

Fisico

Macron will have an easy victory so I'll vote in two weeks but it will be a vote blanc.

Explained a few posts ago why, it's not about his stance or politics but what happened behind the scenes which sets a very dangerous precedent from à political point of view.
If that's how politic is going to be done in France now that's à very sad state

Low score for Hamon too :"(

RPGCrazied

Le Pen wanted to ban the hijab and close all mosques. Just ugh. I'm sure she has said some more horrible things, but I don't live in France.

azyless

Some Melenchon voters will go Le Pen as well, especially due to the anti-EU angle, since the election will truly take the angle of pro-EU vs anti-EU. Fillon's voters will split in three, with the social conservatives staying home, the more nationalist leaning supporters going Le Pen and the Economic liberals going Macron.
There was a poll a few days back on here that said Le Pen was the last choice for Mélenchon voters, so not really.
The anti-EU stuff is way overblown, i imagine most Mélenchon voters don't want to leave the EU either.

I haven't followed the election enough to make an informed opinion, but I feel like this isn't a good match up. It seems similar to the US race where both sides are polar opposites. MLP has an opportunity to gain as many votes as possible playing to her strengths against Macron compared to Fillon and Melenchon who could've siphoned away votes on parts of her platform. And how the Fillon and Melechon voters split between the final two candidates should be concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom