• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to give it to Macron: he's actually staying and conversing with them on that parking lot rather than stopping for 15 minutes, taking a selfie and then leaving.

I have to give it to Macron: he's actually staying and conversing with them on that parking lot rather than stopping for 15 minutes, taking a selfie and then leaving.

That's the worst part: his visit is FAR MORE meaningful than lepen's, Who made a coup d'éclat with no substance. He doesn't lie to them and seem to be sincere. Lepen just told them what they want to hear.
But the harm has been done and pictures tell a story that lepen will easily exploit.

azyless

But the harm has been done and pictures tell a story that lepen will easily exploit.
C-V419PXoAAy_eO.jpg:large

Magni

If Le Pen "wins" today with regards to Whirlpool, that shows how stupid politics has become.

She took a couple selfies in a parking lot, while he was talking with unions and company representatives. And then he also talked to the workers for good measure.

FFS this is just as obvious a choice as Trump vs Clinton.

Iceternal

If Le Pen "wins" today with regards to Whirlpool, that shows how stupid politics has become.

She took a couple selfies in a parking lot, while he was talking with unions and company representatives. And then he also talked to the workers for good measure.

FFS this is just as obvious a choice as Trump vs Clinton.

He's doing very poorly though. This is a disastrous day for him.

He's not up to the task IMO.

I will not vote on May 7.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Of course parts of poltics have become stupid, or rather they already were but we didn't notice before.
It has become infinitely worse in the age of social media. There is no doubt about that.

Aw man, please? Le Pen would fuck my whole life up so bad. I selfishly need the support as well. :(

MonsieurPaul

Neo Member
Anxious to see how this will be covered on TV news tonight. Right now I find newspapers coverage (Le Monde, Nouvel Obs, Libé) pretty balanced.

IMHO I find Macron pretty good on this. This is not the disaster everyone is talking about.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it would help if I understood more of what was being said but I respect the fact he stayed and tried.

It doesn't look like today is going him any favours though.

Whirlpool is symptomatic of many things, and to be fair, it's poisonous, because if like MLP you go all in on protectionism, the end result is that you'd never have had these factories in the first place.
I mean, we can complain all we want about globalized capitalism, I do, but we wouldn't have these foreign investments without it.
We obviously have social norms to at least make sure these companies meet our labor standards, but the truth is, even with our current standards, people laid off are still pretty miserable, particularly when they won't find another job afterwards.
There's nothing in what MLP offers that will make people's lives better. It won't protect them and it certainly won't stimulate local economies. But generally, it seems everyone else is pretty powerless because the only thing they ultimately do is mitigate the damage.

Oh yeah, you're right. Still, they're so closely affiliated that it's going to reflect terribly on Macron. What a shitshow.
Ferrand, his movement's Secretary took to twitter to tell Attali to shut up, calling his position "despicably anecdotal".

The last thing anyone needs is people like Attali commenting.

She's such a vulture her breath must smell of carrion.

For reference, what's your benchmark on managing the closure of factories? Like, who excelled at that? Because I can't think of a case that ended badly once the cameras and empty promises were gone.

Has Le Pen ever said anything positive about Rodrigo Duterte? If yes, please share a source. I didn't find anything but I'm sure she did at some point.

So, I am really confused, what is going with Macron right now that he's getting heat for? I can't quite follow based on the last few pages.

Dilly

Banned

I don't get this.

Neither is Le Pen, which is the only other option. Voting for Macron is at worst voting for the status-quo. That gives 5 years to work to creating a viable opposition party that suits your needs through local and national elections.

Le Pen would be an unmitigated disaster on a globl level, and for everyone who isn't white also on a personal level.

She's part of a racist political dynasty that got famous and made money by being holocaust deniers. God knows how anyone believes she is anti-establishment and for the common folk.

G.O.O.

That's the worst part: his visit is FAR MORE meaningful than lepen's, Who made a coup d'éclat with no substance. He doesn't lie to them and seem to be sincere. Lepen just told them what they want to hear.
lack of experience in political campaigns.

He's trying to make up fort it though.

Le Pen would fuck my whole life up so bad. I selfishly need the support as well. :(

I'm about in the same boat as you (American married to Frenchwoman, living in France). So make that two begging you all to vote.

Although my FN voting neighbor DID say, "Don't worry. They're not going to kick YOU out. You're a GOOD immigrant!" (Eyeroll)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, I am really confused, what is going with Macron right now that he's getting heat for? I can't quite follow based on the last few pages.

Le Pen went to meet the factory workers on the floor. Macron initially only went to meet their union representative, in an office away from the factory. It reinforces the notion he's aloof/out of touch and doesn't care about the working classes. It's mostly an imaging thing, but, well image matters.

MonsieurPaul

Neo Member
Maybe if I understood more of what was being said I wouldn't think it but I respect the fact he stayed and tried.

It doesn't look like today is going him any favours though.

Not only he stayed, but he didn't make all the usual promises that everyone know he won't be able to keep. Instead, he told them that he won't nationalize them to save their jobs and he can't/won't forbid a company to close a factory site because that will be bad for foreign investment.

Clearly, he won't win a lot of voters from Whirlpool, but this is not the disastrous PR fail that some think it is.

On the other hand, Marine selfie with the soon-to-be-fired employee may cost her much more in the long term.

Elandyll

Banned

How so?

He spent more than 1h there working, she did a 10min photo op on a parking and then left, while promising Trump level stuff.

Macron also stopped to talk with workers on the way out and promised to come back for a follow up.

Iceternal

Le Pen went to meet the factory workers on the floor. Macron initially only went to meet their union representative, in an office away from the factory. It reinforces the notion he's aloof/out of touch and doesn't care about the working classes. It's mostly an imaging thing, but, well image matters.

You forgot to mention that Macron is the one that authorized the delocalization of the factory to Poland, making 300+ french workers lose their jobs.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

While Macron should definitely talk to the unions AND to the workers like he did, wouldn't it have been smarter to speak with the workers first, and then go speak with the unions?

Just to add more: LePen basically shows up on the parking lot and gives the typical right wing spin of "I'm going to save your jobs!" Took some photos with people smiling and left.

Macron goes to speak with the union and THEN goes face to face with the workers who aren't really on his side and engages with them.

Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view, but for me it shows that he's not just relying on his base supporters. He's reaching out and trying to explain how his program is the better of the two.

azyless

What does it have to do with anything ?

I am not going to vote for Le Pen.

I just refuse to vote for someone I disagree with.

I will vote "blanc".
You're not going to vote very often then.
If you don't find one of them better than the other then uhhh... I question your values.

Coffinhal

Because they do show up flag when there is some cameras. The rest of the time, you have less than one hundred people, and very few people who are close to Melenchon. More likely to be autonomous/antifa. It's why it's kind of ridiculous to take credit for those struggles.

Please cut with the victimization, Mélenchon supported the demonstration of the police syndicate against "hate against Police". I would have love to be able to vote for him if he was not trying so hard not getting my vote. So i am not on a "smear campaign".

Where ? Do you have some photos, videos that show people with Insoumis flags every time or so there are protests ? I don't even think there are Insoumis flags. I've only seen A3 signs during the biggest rallies, french flags and handmade signs (mostly). You're over estimating how much people that support FI would show their vote and support in other protests. Although yeah they're not the majority in these protests because it's another form of political action (that is not the most used during official campaigns), and I've not seen Mélenchon taking much credit out of them (especially because they are not big enough to be on the media).

Funny to see how you didn't answer about the link from Amnesty denying your hypothesis. I'm glad you changed your mind.

I know what the left does. But you guys are losing the battle and won't even fucking admit it.

Everyone remembers how the country got blocked with the El Khomri law. No one remembers protests against the state of emergency, for migrants, for the banlieues. Nuit debout couldn't leave the cities because it kept the image of young white students more angry against capitalism than against actual injustice.

It's unfair ? Yeah, that's tough. But JLM had something to say here, he didn't, and that will stay.

Bla-bla-bla. Your post is full of personnal moral judgement.

I recommend you to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj16QPgyJ4A and then tell me when they are not clearly "identifying the ennemy" when they repeat a hundred times that not one vote should go to Le Pen and that she is the anti-thesis of everything they fight for.

You're not going to vote very often then.
If you don't find one of them better than the other then uhhh... I question your values.[/QUOTE]

Little public prosecutor are everywhere these days. Beware, Le Pen is on the verge of power! 35% in the first round, Macron at 18%, she can't lose at this point!

Just to add more: LePen basically shows up on the parking lot and gives the typical right wing spin of "I'm going to save your jobs!" Took some photos with people smiling and left.

Macron goes to speak with the union and THEN goes face to face with the workers who aren't really on his side and engages with them.

Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view, but for me it shows that he's not just relying on his base supporters. He's reaching out and trying to explain how his program is the better of the two.

Yep. When I did some report with pro-Macron back in February, that was one of the points that went in favor of him : "he likes to fight and discuss with those he disagrees with" "he likes to be on the field with people, explaining himself, not like the others"
How that will affect people's mind and the vote is really uncertain and shouldn't be taken up with a thin point of view

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I will vote "blanc".
Think about other folks in situations that this will impact first. You don't agree with him? That's fine, but please, before you do that DO consider what happens in a Le Pen victory. What that means for so many of us.

My life depends on the EU - she wants to kill it. It could have disastrous consequences for some of us.

You don't know any of us personally but please think about it.

I will vote "blanc".

It has to do with Le Pen's program. All of it. You're trying to equate Macron and Le Pen as if both programs have the same level of harm for the country and its inhabitants. They don't.

Le Pen's program is more harmful than Macron's program not matter how bad Macron's program might be.

Sinsem

Again, attacking people who abstain or vote NotA is pointless.
You won't make them vote like that.
We could have more interesting discussions.

Dilly

Banned

I will vote "blanc".

Because abstaining is the same is not caring who wins it? Sounds like a good position to be in, not evryone is that lucky.

tuxfool

Banned
Saying this is outrageous.

Eh, I find the selfishness and intellectual laziness of bothsiders equally outrageous.

Again, attacking people who abstain or vote NotA is pointless.
You won't make them vote like that.
We could have more interesting discussions.

Maybe. But the facile arguments of people exclaiming that they wont vote hardly helps towards interesting discussions. The fact that they even put forward these arguments leaves little to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom