• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Outlander' series ordered to series on Starz, developed by Ron Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

I’ve learned that Starz has given a series order to Outlander, a drama based on Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling fantasy/romance/adventure series of books. I hear the project, from Battlestar Galactica developer Ron Moore and Sony Pictures TV, has received a 16-episode order, with production slated to begin in October in Scotland where the books are set. I hear Gabaldon let the news of the greenlight slip at Book Expo America 2013. The news comes a month after Outlander opened a writers room, with Moore hiring four scribes to work with him — Toni Graphia, Matt Roberts, Ira Behr and Anne Kenney. This marks Sony’s first series for Starz.

Outlander spans the genres of romance, science fiction, history, and adventure. It follows Claire, a married WWII combat nurse, who mistakenly steps back in time to year 1743 where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world of adventure that sends her on the run and threatens her life. When Claire is forced to marry Jamie, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, it ignites a passionate affair that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. The seven-book series has sold over 20 million copies. An eighth novel is slated to come out this fall. The books have developed passionate fan following, with multiple companies running “Jamie and Claire” tours of Scotland, where they visit locations from the books.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/out...-starz/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Was expecting it to be a series based on this.

220px-Outlanderposter.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cool. I've been meaning to check out the books for a while now. Hope the show turns out well.

Also, I think it's interesting that, while every one of Starz' other series have received 8-13 episode seasons, this was ordered for 16. Very interesting.

Also, WHERE'S INCURSION?!!!!!!?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
One of my girlfriends fucking loves this. It's total trash, btw. But apparently the good kind. Tru Blood meets Fabio novel.

Krowley

From what I've heard about the books they're supposed to be a really strange blend of about a million different genres.

The fact that one of these genres is historical romance has kept me from diving in so far. But the fact that they also have elements of fantasy, science fiction, and horror has made me consider reading them. I'll probably give them a shot one of these days, though I fear they won't be a good fit for my tastes overall.

It might work well as a TV series, regardless.

Subitai

I think I've heard of one of these on audio book. Some really interesting historical comparisons come up as the story goes along. It has a following and plot is already laid out, so it has that going for it like GoT.

hythloday

This is one of my favorite series of books ever. Although, I don't think it really "needed" a TV series associated with it. Better a TV series than a movie though. They can do more with it. I think it's mostly going to appeal to female viewers, however.

To the "harlequin" comments, that's really only in the first couple of books. There's a lot more drama/adventure than sex later on. The quality of writing is also way higher than the True Blood shit.

hythloday

One of my girlfriends fucking loves this. It's total trash, btw. But apparently the good kind. Tru Blood meets Fabio novel.

If she's a huge fan, be advised the author provides autographed copies regularly to The Poisoned Pen bookstore in AZ. They have an online store and will ship.

I honestly can't see how they'll manage to set the story up properly...considering some of the horrible things that are that basis for the series. Casting should be interesting though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A couple of tidbits:

Starz's Outlander Adaptation Casts Its Claire

Irish actress Caitriona Balfe has landed the female lead, playing a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened.

HHqfuYE.jpg

Outlander Series Casts Scotsman Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser

Scotsman Sam Heughan has landed the lead role of Jamie Fraser in Outlander. Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

EosS9Yq.jpg

Game of Thrones Actor to Pull Double Duty in Starz's Historical Drama Outlander

Game of Thrones alum Tobias Menzies will portray both 18th-century British baddie Jonathan “Black Jack” Randall and his 20th-century kin Frank in the cabler’s forthcoming time-travel series, TVLine has confirmed.

nqi9S3O.jpg

camelpope

Neo Member
I wonder if the TV series will have as many rapes as the books. Felt awkward how often everyone (male or female) was raped every book.

I'm only SLIGHTLY exaggerating.

Bizarre how he chose to do this project. Helix makes sense but this is just weird for him

I'll give it a chance though. Also I rewatched Rome again so the casting of Brutus as a villain sounds good

Clevinger

I wonder if the TV series will have as many rapes as the books. Felt awkward how often everyone (male or female) was raped every book.

So is this author like the female version of Terry Goodkind? Is there a lot of torture too?

hythloday

I'm sure they'll have to include at least some of them. I'm more interested in how they will handle the
20-year jump in time between books 2 and 3
(assuming the series gets past season 1).

So is this author like the female version of Terry Goodkind? Is there a lot of torture too?

Nowhere near that bad.

Edit: I will say that in the first book there are lots of scenes that would be more appealing to romance novel enthusiasts, but that doesn't permeate the entire series. I'm also assuming that they'll have to tone it down and include more focus on the action/fighting/drama for the TV series to make it watchable.

camelpope

Neo Member

It always felt like the authors version of old time rape fantasy. Now that said I'm not saying I don't like the books, my wife had me read them after I got caught up with Game of Thrones years ago.
We used to joke about who is raping Jamie this chapter in the later books.

I'm going to watch, just......

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Thanks for posting the production updates, Ratsky!

Sure thing boo!

(assuming the series gets past season 1).

It's a Starz series, so of course it will.
It'll be cancelled after season 2 tho.

Whatever happened to that sci-fi show the Spartacus producer was planning for STARZ?

Incursion? It's on indefinite hold. Something to do with the high production costs and Starz being poopy heads.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Outlander Adds Borgias Actress

Lotte Verbeek, best known as Italian temptresse Giulia Farnese on Showtime’s The Borgias, has joined Starz’s upcoming series adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s popular novels, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

As has been rumored online for some time, Verbeek will portray Geillis Duncan.

buKHSpF.jpg

Also confirmed: British actor James Fleet (Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Vicar of Dibley) will take on the role of
Rev. Wakefield, a Scottish historian of sorts who — in the books — interacts with Clare and husband Frank in the 1940s.

1HLani8.jpg

Busty

Banned
I have friends working on this and as far as I'm aware it's already started shooting. Owing to Scotland's woeful production facilities (the country has no sound stages to accommodate a series like this) they are having to convert an old carpet factory into some makeshift studio.

I also hear that the series is choke full of explicit sex and nudity. Initially Starz and Sony had wanted to cast a name actress in the lead but couldn't find one that would agreement to so much of the series explicit sex.

Apparently the first episode features a scene where the lead female lifts up her skirt, while on the tour of a castle no less, to reveal she isn't wearing any underwear and the male protag goes down on her...., again while touring a castle.

It sound..., horrendous.

I'll try and get my hands on some of the scripts if anyone cares to know what they're like. Though I suspect no one will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom