• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P R O M E T H E U S |OT| Ridley Scott goes back to Building Better Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it last night. Some things were really impressive, looked amazing and had great atmosphere. Many other things were done poorly, did not look good, and did not make any sense. There was all the components to tell a gripping story here but it didn't happen.

Ripley needed to work on the story a lot more and there were some scenes that were shot poorly. The result is a very uneven film and a waste of potential.

Ridley needs to not work with Damon Lindelof again.

JB1981

Deleted footage is pretty good..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKiyCmDNSCQ&feature=youtu.be

All the deleted scenes..

Buuuuuut not good enough.

damn already taken down.

edit: here you go

http://film-book.com/prometheus-2012-10-minute-deleted-scenes-video-ridley-scott/

The extended scene with Vickers and Weyland is actually quite good, wish they would have kept that in the movie. I also like the longer scene with Shaw and her BF in her bedroom as she's observing the video log. This is only 10 min and apparently there is 35 min of cut scenes. I am willing to bet this movie was cut to pieces.

The new scene with Fiefeld and the biologist guy continues to be terrible though.

Dyno

Ridley needs to not work with Damon Lindelof again.

It just needed to be iterated more. Until all of the extraneous stuff was cut out.

What really was the narrative? In broad strokes what was happening. For a movie to show us so much what did it wind up telling us?

- Engineers are a humanoid race that evolved thousands of years before we did.
- They discover/invent a black ooze that can seed a planet with life.
- Black ooze evolves quickly. If black ooze passes through a life form it goes through a radical evolutionary transformation.
- Engineers don't fully understand and cannot control black ooze.
- Engineers had no plan when it came to human development. They did it just because.
- From this ooze xenomorphs arise.

That's what I got watching it the first time.

zoukka

It just needed to be iterated more. Until all of the extraneous stuff was cut out.

What really was the narrative? In broad strokes what was happening. For a movie to show us so much what did it wind up telling us?

- Engineers are a humanoid race that evolved thousands of years before we did.
- They discover/invent a black ooze that can seed a planet with life.
- Black ooze evolves quickly. If black ooze passes through a life form it goes through a radical evolutionary transformation.
- Engineers don't fully understand and cannot control black ooze.
- Engineers had no plan when it came to human development. They did it just because.
- From this ooze xenomorphs arise.

That's what I got watching it the first time.

One important thing I personally got from the movie, was that the xenomorph was a weapon of sorts. We don't exactly know who it was made against, but I think at the time of the movie the engineers have decided to infect whole earth. Maybe because humans ended up being "bad" or they need the xenos. Or both.

One important thing I personally got from the movie, was that the xenomorph was a weapon of sorts. We don't exactly know who it was made against, but I think at the time of the movie the engineers have decided to infect whole earth. Maybe because humans ended up being "bad" or they need the xenos. Or both.

I also got the feeling that the Engineers had some strange sense of worship for their own creations (mainly the xeno), hence the murals and altar in the liquid chamber.

Perhaps, like Ash in Alien, they viewed them as perfect organisms and their previous experiments - namely humans- were not so much?

Really anxious to see where things go in the next one. I just hope they get someone to tighten-up the ideas a bit. As much as I like things to be left to my imagination and interpretation, Prometheus (and I actually really, really liked the film) just felt sloppy overall in the writing department.
Great stuff in there. It just needs to be polished and expanded upon, IMO.

edit: fuck. Sorry Snkfanatic. :/

Aurongel

Just watched the 10 minutes of cut content and I have to say that I'm kind of surprised by the quality of it all. The first few scenes shown were definitely cut for a reason, they just don't seem to serve much of a purpose. The cut scene of Fifield and what's-his-face finding the
snake skin(?)
in the tunnel is just another prime example of the movie throwing a million strange oddities at the viewer and explaining none of it. The extended scene with Elizabeth and Holloway adds a bit of background to Elizabeth's character especially and sets up what comes after a bit better. The greatest surprise for me though is the Weyland and Vickers scene, it felt a bit less artificial than the final film ended up being.

It'll be very interesting to see if the other deleted scenes help to clear up some of the other more murky plot points that people have criticized in the past. My guess is that it'll only add a bit more exposition between characters and open up their backgrounds a bit more.

Or maybe this is all just wishful thinking about the film it should have been.

JB1981

Just watched the 10 minutes of cut content and I have to say that I'm kind of surprised by the quality of it all. The first few scenes shown were definitely cut for a reason, they just don't seem to serve much of a purpose. The cut scene of Fifield and what's-his-face finding the
snake skin(?)
in the tunnel is just another prime example of the movie throwing a million strange oddities at the viewer and explaining none of it. The extended scene with Elizabeth and Holloway adds a bit of background to Elizabeth's character especially and sets up what comes after a bit better. The greatest surprise for me though is the Weyland and Vickers scene, it felt a bit less artificial than the final film ended up being.

It'll be very interesting to see if the other deleted scenes help to clear up some of the other more murky plot points that people have criticized in the past. My guess is that it'll only add a bit more exposition between characters and open up their backgrounds a bit more.

Or maybe this is all just wishful thinking about the film it should have been.

Agree completely. It's a very strong scene and gives the audience a much clearer understanding of what their relationship has been like up to this point.

Dyno

Why did I click this thread before watching the movie. Shesh

It's actually a really good, really valid question. You should answer it.

There is always someone like this in every movie discussion. They're waiting months before seeing the movie, they're also sifting through 80+ pages of comments looking... for what, I wonder? And then of course they are compelled to come out and claim the movie has been spoilt for them.

It's a really weird phenomena.

Dyno

Yeah... The thing is what you're saying and what JollyCorner added was implied in the earlier films and expanded upon in other media. I guess it's nice to see it implied by Mr. Scott but it's a bit of an old hand by now.

Feature

Banned
My theory:

'Humans are xenons or whatever evolved from something'. Just like the alien creature in the end was evolved from that big dude. It's looks depend on what creature the alien comes out of.

also a question about the movie:
what the hell was that opening scene about with the guy injecting himself with something and then turning into a million flies or something?

zoukka

also a question about the movie:
what the hell was that opening scene about with the guy injecting himself with something and then turning into a million flies or something?

Hint:
He disintegrates and we see his DNA transmorph. Engineer DNA is identical to human DNA. The opening scene happened long before humans were around (implied by the landscape pans and the transition to people studying the past)

Feature

Banned
Hint:
He disintegrates and we see his DNA transmorph. Engineer DNA is identical to human DNA. The opening scene happened long before humans were around (implied by the landscape pans and the transition to people studying the past)

So humans came from that guy drinking the black stuff?

MNC

damn already taken down.

edit: here you go

http://film-book.com/prometheus-2012-10-minute-deleted-scenes-video-ridley-scott/

The extended scene with Vickers and Weyland is actually quite good, wish they would have kept that in the movie. I also like the longer scene with Shaw and her BF in her bedroom as she's observing the video log. This is only 10 min and apparently there is 35 min of cut scenes. I am willing to bet this movie was cut to pieces.

The new scene with Fiefeld and the biologist guy continues to be terrible though.

Wow that doesn't even look like Theron in the thumbnail.

Dead Man

It's actually a really good, really valid question. You should answer it.

There is always someone like this in every movie discussion. They're waiting months before seeing the movie, they're also sifting through 80+ pages of comments looking... for what, I wonder? And then of course they are compelled to come out and claim the movie has been spoilt for them.

It's a really weird phenomena.

God forbid someone try and get some impressions of the movie.

JB1981

So apparently the digital release of this movie will be much longer? Is it just deleted scenes added to the total run time or is the actual movie this long?

http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/hd-prometheus-downloads/

iTunes and other outlets will be offering a download version of Prometheus which has a run-time of 2 hours and 39 minutes, 39 minutes longer than the theatrical cut! But I’m not sure if this longer version will be the same one as the early release version. Here’s the product listing at iTunes.

I thought the theatrical cut was a little over 2 hours. So maybe this is just 35 minutes of deleted scenes included with the digital download, which we can view separate from the movie?

Other sources online say there is only 15 minutes of additional scenes. If that true, that stinks! I have already seen the leaked 10 minutes from the DVD.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This still running in theaters? How did people just see it?

m9SRe.jpg

JJD

I think shit like that should be banned. The movie is still playing in a lot of places.

A few weeks ago some idiot implied that someone had downloaded the torrent of Cabin in the Woods just because a gaffer posted in the OT saying he had just seen the movie a few days after the torrent was made available.

The member in question then posted a scan of his portuguese movie ticket to prove he had paid to see the movie.

Why people have to assume anyone seeing the movie late is just pirating stuff? GAF police sure is annoying sometimes. Guys like that must make the MPAA proud.

Akahige

I think shit like that should be banned. The movie is still playing in a lot of places.

A few weeks ago some idiot implied that someone had downloaded the torrent of Cabin in the Woods just because a gaffer posted in the OT saying he had just seen the movie a few days after the torrent was made available.

The member in question then posted a scan of his portuguese movie ticket to prove he had paid to see the movie.

Why people have to assume anyone seeing the movie late is just pirating stuff? GAF police sure is annoying sometimes. Guys like that must make the MPAA proud.
One of the smaller and older theaters near me is still playing Snow White and The Hunger Games

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Does anybody have a link for that hilarious Prometheus script? It was posted a reaaaaally long time ago... I laughed so much and want to show it to a friend...

MedIC86

Does anyone know if there will be a recut of the film with the deleted scenes on the bluray? or can you only watch them seperate.

GhaleonEB

LOL give it a day. You'll experience the same 'Hang on a second!' moment that everybody else did upon reflection. Movie is dumb as bricks.

It really is. But it's also so good in the moment due to the direction, pacing and art design that I found myself going along for the ride...right until the credits rolled. It's a move that requires you to turn off your brain to enjoy. It's not what I wanted; not from Scott, not from sci-fi, not in this fictional universe. But that's what we got instead. I've been telling myself it could be patched up with a longer edition; surely the editing was to blame. Surely many of the flaws were due to cut material.

Not really. The movie is, as you said, dumb as bricks.

strobogo

Banned
The cover on the left is what I have as my desktop background and what I used to stare at during my first ever mushroom trip. I saw hidden engineer helmets and xenomorphs in it, plus what seemed to be layers of previous sketches. In the center, part of the world looked to have a a hieroglyph style drawing of a mother holding a child or maybe reading to a child, and surrounding it was a weird elongated (more than usual) xeno head. Plus it looked like planets rotating and the stars were moving. It was awesome as fuck. And it looked different and I saw more or less things at different distances I was away from my monitor. After that I tried some music and laid in bed in the dark with headphones on for the next hour or so. It was a pretty good night.

I still think this movie is better than what people seem to think. It has problems, but I enjoyed it greatly. I had higher expectations for it than anything since The Dark Knight and while it didn't live up to what it could have and should have been, I still loved it. I was more hyped for it than TDKR and The Avengers combined. And it still was pretty awesome to me.

Final blu-ray cover art, courtesy of blu-ray.com forum

bJqWA.jpg

Man, I like the 4-disc version the best. I will fore sure purchase whichever edition had the most special features. I stand by my enjoyment of this movie and really hope it makes enough to warrant a sequel.

ZoddGutts

Oh god, you guys weren't kidding about the movie. Movie is like a dumb ass version of Alien. Every single character went full retard in this film, jesus christ. Great visuals but everything else was so bad. But hey at least we go to see the you know what at the end.

If there's a sequel, please don't bring back the shitty scriptwriters of this film.

Darkgran

Wow.

This movie was so bad. It is a jumbled mess.

The acting is terrible. The delivery of the dialogue was laughable and I didn't care for any of the people thanks to the lack of character development.

The plot is ridiculous and stupid. What an utter disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom