• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

Sanke__

I think pachter is getting carried away with thinking the systems are equal in all aspects except price
They are not

Bessy67

Are you honestly in the belief that people who purchase Playstation 4s are more likely to use an online retailer? Because even if they are only a "small part", the whole ratio doesn't go out the window because of it.
2013 (Nov. and Dec.) was a virtual dead heat in terms of console sales IIRC. For 2013 Amazon had PS4 as the #6 best seller and Xbox One as #19. I still think PS4 will win this month easily, but I wouldn't necessarily trust Amazon sales rankings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

m@cross

As a Sony fan, I actually hope this is true. I feel like they are taking their lead for granted and need a swift kick in the ass to correct course.

Andrew House and Shawn Layden knows.

Not us.

Exactly. We don't know how much or little (for a platform holder) they spent on this.

We already know that it will have had a positive impact on ps4 sales however. Calling it a waste even if my some miracle Microsoft sold more is amusing.

I mean Microsoft is one step away from giving the system away right now.

It doesn't have to be in order to be valuable data.

We've been over this pages ago.

Eh it can be somewhat useful in seeing overall trends but is a very poor method to try and actually assess sales units or percentage differences. Either way I have no horse in this race and I'm not picking "winners" for September other than both PS4 and Xbox One sales were solid.

Can you demonstrate this with some number or maybe a pie chart?

MMM, pie...

I give the things I want. Sensitive sales data for the company I work for is not one of those things.

I am somewhat confused though why saying Xbox One sales were solid in September has so many people jumping on this. Did people think the launch of a huge game like Destiny would give it no boost?

Hopefully true and Sony is forced to drop the price. I'd like to pick up a PS4.

lol Sony ain't gonna drop the price over one month of sales. They are still doing fantastic regardless of what MS does.

And I wouldn't be surprised if MS comes close, or even passes, PS4 sales eventually. It's going to be close in North America, it always was going to be, it's the rest of the world where Sony is going to clean MS' clock and build a huge overall userbase lead that will keep them as the "lead platform" for most third parties.

hawk2025

Eh it can be somewhat useful in seeing overall trends but is a very poor method to try and actually assess sales units or percentage differences. Either way I have no horse in this race and I'm not picking "winners" for September other than both PS4 and Xbox One sales were solid.

Well, by definition; There is no way to make cardinal inference from ordinal data like sales rankings.

I really think he's not counting the destiny bundles. If he is then I will have what he's smoking. Almost all websites had the destiny bundle as best seller.

lol Sony ain't gonna drop the price over one month of sales. They are still doing fantastic regardless of what MS does.

And I wouldn't be surprised if MS comes close, or even passes, PS4 sales eventually. It's going to be close in North America, it always was going to be, it's the rest of the world where Sony is going to clean MS' clock and build a huge overall userbase lead that will keep them as the "lead platform" for most third parties.

I expect unofficial price drops.

Relativ9

He has the PS4 at less then last month, despite the extra week, the massive Destiny launch and the fact that Sony already said it was their best month since Christmas. Is this a fake post or something?

Elios83

15 pages for a Pachter's prediction seem a bit too much :D
The guy clearly understimated or simply not considered at all the impact of Destiny being marketed as a first party PS4 game and the white console bundle.
He adjusted august's numbers for 5 weeks and gave a boost to XB1 for the single week promotion with no boost at all for the PS4. Nonsensical and pretty much terrible for someone who is paid to make such forecasts.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

They've done it all over Europe, I'm sure they will on the US as well, probably with tv-advertised "unofficial" retailer-bound price drops/bundles.

mdubs

Banned
As a Sony fan, I actually hope this is true. I feel like they are taking their lead for granted and need a swift kick in the ass to correct course.

Exactly. Amazing how there are some in this thread who are actively frightened at the potential Microsoft inching closer to monthly sales parity. It's as if people think competition is a bad thing, truly baffling.

Tarsul

15 pages for a Pachter's prediction seem a bit too much :D
The guy clearly understimated or simply not considered at all the impact of Destiny being marketed as a first party PS4 game and the white console bundle.
He adjusted august's numbers for 5 weeks and gave a boost to XB1 for the single week promotion with no boost at all for the PS4. Nonsensical and pretty much terrible for someone who is paid to make such forecasts.
I'm always astonished by how little sense his predictions make and that neither he nor his employer seem to care about how wrong he always is. Must be a wonderful bubble he's living in.

m@cross

I didn't even know they were off course :/

As I said, I am a Sony loyalist, but I can't help but feel they are squandering their momentum.

1. Lower quality Plus content (I have enjoyed some of those games, but an ossasional larger market game would help satisfy a larger player base and make the service more desirable, Knack is selling for sub 20 now, just give it already)

2. Friends list performance with more than 50 or so is horrible.

3. Still not delivered on launch promises for features, and lagging behind MS in delivering new features as well. Stop trying to force feed music unlimited, wtf.

4. Network performance is generally complete shit for new big games. Maybe this is the developers fault, but the service is down enough in other ways to make me think it is at least partially their fault. At the very least insist new crap is not going to get released in a way to crap the service.

5. Most bundles are barely saving over full unbundled systems. Whil XB1 is worse hardware spec wise, it is hard to justify a PS4 for the same price when you can now get the XB1 with 2 games and sometimes more for the same price.

6. Generally I see MS pushing their games and system a ton more in popular media. While they may be a worse system, most casual consumers I know still think it is the top system.

7. Poor communicating by Sony is building resentment. How is that big OS update coming they announced for Sept. Don't even have the updated list of features still and we are half way to feking November.

I can't help but feel they are becoming PS3 SONY again where they are acting like the pretty girl who can't lose the prome Queen vote.

Biker19

Banned

Especially within Japanese 3rd party publishers. Publishers like Tecmo-Koei, Square-Enix or Konami wouldn't be dumb enough to dumb down PS4 versions of games graphically just to appeal to Microsoft, especially knowing that most of their games sell a whole lot more on Playstation consoles in comparison to Xbox consoles.

Euron

Exactly. Amazing how there are some in this thread who are actively frightened at the potential Microsoft inching closer to monthly sales parity. It's as if people think competition is a bad thing, truly baffling.
I agree with this. It was panic mode Sony that expanded their first party. Every company can use a kick in the head to get them going. But there's no way in hell Patchter is right. Sony said the PS4 had its most successful week since launch and MS would already be hyping up their sales if he was correct.

On the other hand, November will be very interesting. . . . . .

Top Bottom