• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Bet: Will Xbox Series Consoles Outsell PS5 in September 2023?

Will Xbox Series Consoles Outsell PS5 in September 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Suchong

MJqzfYb.gif

Codes 208

I love xbox but nah, ps5 already has a 2 to 1 lead over them. Starfield and activision arent going to be the magic bullets people want them to be

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'm staying out of this one. But wouldn't Starfield need to be (and heavily marketed as) a complete masterpiece for that to happen? And isn't Sony rumored to be launching a new PS5 model at that time?

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

MarkMe2525

I just don't see it happening. Starfield will give Xbox a boost in the west, but not overtake Playstation. That's crazy talk.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think Xbox has a chance. Starfield with Forza round the corner. It's possible the ABK deal will be finalized by September as well.

I'd say I'm 60% confident.

Xtib81

Doubt it unless Starfield is the GOAT and MS is very agressive with marketing. Sony on the other hand could go for the jugular with a new ps5 model and a price drop.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

If Starfield wasn't on PC Game Pass and Steam, maybe. Since it isn't exclusive and Spiderman 2 is. it won't. Will MS make more money than Sony that month? Probably.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
No and when that happens they should buy EA , T2 and Ubisoft so they can compete... and when that fails they should buy capcom and sega ... and so on

yazenov

🤔

MS is expecting a "record-breaking revenue" which could be driven by increased Gamepass signups from PC and Xbox, Steam purchases, and so forth. It's a first-party game so the growth will be mainly software driven. I don't think hardware sales will be increased that much to outsell the PS5 since it's mainly a PC-centric game like DIablo and the majority of the sales will be from there IMO. We shall see.

Xbox Series will be lucky to outsell the Switch during that month.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

No chance.

Starfield will also sell less than eafc 24 (during the 1 year lifetime of eafc 24)

Last edited:
Is the 399 pricing thought to be clearing stock to make room for the slim? Do we expect the slim model to be priced higher than 399?
The entire point of the redesign is cost saving. Much less silicon is being used, the Liquid Metal is apparently gone, the power draw is going to be much lower and it’ll have a significantly smaller and cheaper heat sink. It also doesn’t have a disc drive.

Sony will want to sell those in high volumes to get people into their ecosystem so that they will continue to have people buy their digital libraries with PlayStation so they’ll be more likely to buy a PS6. Microsoft have tried to destabilise that by having a rental service like GamePass, but so far it isn’t making a dent.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You know what, screw it I am saying that Series consoles WILL surpass PS5 sales for September. And since I lean heavily towards PS, I will let my best friend @Riky choose my Avatar if I'm wrong.
matrix-not-like-this.gif

Does Microsoft release a Starfield bundle or does that go against gamepass.
TIL MS sells consoles from the ...console. And they have Forza Horizon 5 bundles.

MS with that 'come at me bro' energy.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, sales don't matter... oh wait, in September yes. Seriously I don't understand how MS is doing it so badly, Sony has a selling bundle with Spiderman 2 ready Sept 1st and possibly a slimline redesign for $399 that will sell like hot cakes, MS instead has a Series S for $349 and a Series X that will cost €150 more in many countries LOL, it's like they don't want to sell consoles.

Do you think consoles do not drive sales and subs? I have said it here before, the Series X is probably my last Xbox console, but I still think consoles are important to MS regardless of spin.
I mean they’ve sold 21 million, combine that with PC and cloud and you have a substantial user base. It’s not like MS is going to say “welp, we’re raking in all this revenue but haven’t sold more consoles than Sony, time to close up shop”. If that’s the way things worked then Sony would’ve handed the keys to Nintendo and committed seppuku a long time ago.

It's not possible for Starfield to be an 11/10, but even if it were...as Phil said, so no, it shouldn't change anything.

I suppose it's possible, but that month will be leading up to Spider-Man 2. Either way I think Starfield is kind of more of a PC game than an Xbox game and it'll do best on PC

Starfield will sell more on PC than Xbox. Most of the folks who want an Xbox already have one, and the rest need more than just one game to be encouraged to buy a 2nd/3rd console.

reinking

Gold Member
I mean they’ve sold 21 million, combine that with PC and cloud and you have a substantial user base. It’s not like MS is going to say “welp, we’re raking in all this revenue but haven’t sold more consoles than Sony, time to close up shop”. If that’s the way things worked then Sony would’ve handed the keys to Nintendo and committed seppuku a long time ago.
When did I say they were going to do that? I was saying consoles lead to subscriber growth and sales. You seem to agree that more consoles sold equals more growth? That is what I meant is that one leads to the other. Cool if you think differently.

LordCBH

Depends. Will Microsoft have good availability of stock? Cause they haven’t managed that yet. If they can, I think Starfield will shift some good numbers of consoles.

The LE Spider-Man 2 bundle will release on September 1st, so possibly a big NO

Not even Halo Infinite drove a lot of Xbox Series consoles.

I do suspect Sony will do a price cut to $450 in September for the US if they don’t release any Slim model by then.

Japan and the US are the only big markets where the PS5 hasn’t seen any price promotion.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
No.

New IP, Xbox brand is in decline, expensive to buy unless you are all-in on Gamepass, and the reviews haven't even come out yet, it might get torn to pieces. Plus, it's also on Steam.

Series S/X sales will see a temporary spike that won't touch Sony.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Depends, if Starfield is a generational gem, then it will move more xbox consoles, there is no doubt. But it will likely be spread out over months and years as the word spreads.
If its just another 9/10 game, it's not likely to move that many people.

StereoVsn

Isn't Spider-Man 2 coming in September? I have my doubts that Starfield will drive more Xbox sales vs Spider-Man PS5.

Top Bottom