• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Bet: Will Xbox Series Consoles Outsell PS5 in September 2023?

Will Xbox Series Consoles Outsell PS5 in September 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is the 399 pricing thought to be clearing stock to make room for the slim? Do we expect the slim model to be priced higher than 399?
The PS5 digital edition is already priced at $399. If the redesigned PS5 “slim” will have an attachable disc drive as an option; it stands to reason that a new SKU without a disc drive will be made more readily available at an MSRP of $399 as well.

Pimpbaa

Even if Spider-Man 2 is more of the same (as the first game and miles morales) and Starfield is the best thing Bethesda or MS ever made, I think the PS5 will still outsell. I ain’t doing no avatar bet however since I’m a huge pussy.

phaedrus

I'm not going to Avatar bet it because I lost my last bet (even though it technically wasn't a bet), which is why I have the "dickless" tag
TX9Zvd0.gif

//DEVIL//

Lol. Unless MW3 and Forza are also in Sept to help Starfied to get Xbox #1, Then no chance in hell.

If they keep releasing good games, they might have a chance one day. Sept isn't that date.

Alex Scott

I am not voting, but if it reviews like Elden Ring then maybe then it could outsell PS5.
MS does have some confident, considering they are giving you a early access.

I love my avatar too much to do a bet.

I would've voted for PS5 if I were doing it, for 2 reasons.

-Phil has said out console-ing Sony/Nintendo is not a win for them.

-They are not restocking xbox. Where I live Series S is out of stock FFS.

hinch7

I doubt it will improve console sales much. In the following month Spiderman 2 is set to launch. And for the holidays, people would want to play that. Starfield is a new IP that people who aren't in the know wouldn't know or care about.

If you were to replace that with TES, however that would be a different story.

Last edited:

drganon

Voted no. If the game turns out decent ( which I hope it is otherwise I'm selling my Xbox), then it will give it a nice sales bump, but most likely still won't outsell the ps5.

If I'm wrong, I look forward to the terrible avatar I'll have to use for awhile.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Starfield may be Xbox's first real next-gen game - which is a laughable state of affairs - and impressive as hell, but it's a brand-new IP. Xbox appear to be having some kind of stock issues, and it's also launching on PC. Going up against a sequel to one of PS4's best games launching on a console that's selling like hot-cakes, based on one of the most popular super-heroes in the world. I'm not a betting man, but unless Microsoft has something magical up its sleeves - and I couldn't even imagine what that looks like - PlayStation's walking away with the gold unless Insomniac have dropped the ball in a major way.

Matsuchezz

Even Phil spencer is going to buy spider man 2 instead of starfield and he also purchased the ps5 Spider-Man 2 special edition console. He already has acknowledged that starfield is not going to make any difference whatsoever. And he is damn right about it.

I take the bet.
heath ledger joker GIF

Last edited:

3liteDragon

No cause it's a PC-centric game & the Spider Man console bundle drops 5 days before it's launch & that's gonna sell a shit ton of units.

Barakov

Gold Member
September is shaping up to be very interesting considering the highly anticipated launch of Starfield on Xbox side and the release of the Spiderman 2 bundle ahead of the October game release for PS5. Which console do you think will come out on top?

Avatar choices pending and open to suggestions. Avatars must remain for 3 months subsequent to Circana NPD release.

Edit: Please note, this is based off of US sales only
Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
September is shaping up to be very interesting considering the highly anticipated launch of Starfield on Xbox side and the release of the Spiderman 2 bundle ahead of the October game release for PS5. Which console do you think will come out on top?

Avatar choices pending and open to suggestions. Avatars must remain for 3 months subsequent to Circana NPD release.

Edit: Please note, this is based off of US sales only
I voted no. The PS5 will stay on top in September. For the bet I just hope that if I loose there will be enough choices for it not to be clone fest. Please offer more than 2 or 3 like the Starfield date bet.

skit_data

In USA maybe there's a possibility but worldwide?
I really don't think it's possible, Xbox simply isn't big enough outside of a few select countries.

Pelta88

Amazon top 100, in the UK, always correlates directly to how games chart in the UK. With that in mind, some stats...

Starfield: Standard Edition #470 Premium #8,766
Spider-Man 2:
Standard Edition #Sold Out Premium #Sold out

And obviously someone will say "Well Starfield is on gamepass." Totally ignoring the fact that according to Microsoft, behind the scenes and in submission to regulators, GP is actually cannibalizing and having a negative affect to XBOX game sales.

Sorcerer

I don't think Starfield is strong enough for someone who doesn't own either console at this point to counter Spiderman. If push comes to shove, they will wait for Spiderman and pick up a PS5. I think those most interested in Starfield would be on PC anyway.

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

September is it. The moment Microsoft finally turns the tide and begins to reclaim glory not seen since the 360 days. Just looking at the responses here - I can tell Sony fans are scared. How can you compete with the next Skyrim? You can't. Starfield is that rare kind of game that will be talked about and played relentlessly for the next TEN years. And it's only on Xbox.

As Ghandi once said: “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." You're all laughing now, but you won't be come September and beyond.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Actually the Spiderman PS5 that sold out will be part of September sales

Yeah I realize that now lol. Oh well.

It's really unbelievable to me that Microsoft isn't offering Starfield edition Series bundles. They had special editions for Cyberpunk and Halo, but fumbled with Starfield? How does that happen? The Starfield controller is excellent and shits on Spiderman controller if I'm being honest but you got to complete the set.

A month from launch with barely any promo is pretty stupid as well but what the hell do I know.

onQ123

Yeah I realize that now lol. Oh well.

It's really unbelievable to me that Microsoft isn't offering Starfield edition Series bundles. They had special editions for Cyberpunk and Halo, but fumbled with Starfield? How does that happen? The Starfield controller is excellent and shits on Spiderman controller if I'm being honest but you got to complete the set.

A month from launch with barely any promo is pretty stupid as well but what the hell do I know.

Microsoft really don't want to Sell Series X consoles right now They seriously looked at the situation & went into a meeting & came out with a black Series S console that cost just a little under PS5 DE as if they are trying to confuse people into thinking it's the Series X for a cheaper price than a PS5.

I'm not sure when a die shrink is coming but I don't think MS want to sell too many Series X as is until they are cheaper to manufactory.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Microsoft really don't want to Sell Series X consoles right now They seriously looked at the situation & went into a meeting & came out with a black Series S console that cost just a little under PS5 DE as if they are trying to confuse people into thinking it's the Series X for a cheaper price than a PS5.

I'm not sure when a die shrink is coming but I don't think MS want to sell too many Series X as is until they are cheaper to manufactory.

Which is selling at more of a loss? The Series S or Series X?

supernova8

Banned
Unless they are secretly planning to have a massive restock, no.

Their inventory management just seems to be shit. Doesn't matter if it's because of the die they chose. They made their bed now they have to lie in it. I would've happily bought a Series X at regular retail price (no not with fucking Forza Horizon bundled, get outta here with your stealth price hike) if it were readily available (in Japan).

onQ123

Unless they are secretly planning to have a massive restock, no.

Their inventory management just seems to be shit. Doesn't matter if it's because of the die they chose. They made their bed now they have to lie in it. I would've happily bought a Series X at regular retail price (no not with fucking Forza Horizon bundled, get outta here with your stealth price hike) if it were readily available (in Japan).
I refuse to believe that the price difference between Series X without a game & the price with Forza bundled is really keeping you from buying Series X for this long lol

supernova8

Banned
I refuse to believe that the price difference between Series X without a game & the price with Forza bundled is really keeping you from buying Series X for this long lol
I already have a Series S (the price is impulse purchase territory in my books), and plus there is something called "principle". I'm already subscribed to Game Pass like the 99.999% of Xbox owners (there's no other reason to buy Xbox) and I flat out refuse to pay extra for a game that's already on GP. If they had a bundle with an extra 2 or 3 months of GP that I could add onto my account then sure that's providing value but otherwise no thank you.

I could probably spend an entire day going around different shops in Akihabara and maybe find a Series X without the aforementioned stupid bundle, but then I still have to spend time and money to do that. There's no excuse, this long after launch they should be able to offer the Series X online at the regular RRP without forced-bundling a game (especially that's already on GP). There is the Diablo 4 bundle but that's not a game I was 100% planning to buy so the answer goes back to "no thanks".

(also yes I am the type of person who would boycott GT7 because it requires always-online)

Last edited:

NoobSmog

Serious question from someone who hasn't had an xbox, do they generally do revisions and die shrinks for their consoles? I know they had the one s, but that almost seemed like a necessary upgrade.

Serious question from someone who hasn't had an xbox, do they generally do revisions and die shrinks for their consoles? I know they had the one s, but that almost seemed like a necessary upgrade.

They do.

But this generation they are doing some bizzare stuff.

Overall I feel current models are pretty good but a die shrink and slim models are always welcome. Would love to see a Series S slim.

Top Bottom