• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

Hawk269

Well that would definitely be good for Microsoft if that's the case.

It would, but it also proves that they need to do drastic things like give away a free game in order to achieve that. So if they want to sustain that (if they actually did outsell the PS4), then they will need to have the same type of promotions for the rest of the year or simply cut the price.

Kuni

Hmmmmmmmm... This would certainly surprise me... Even for Patcher this seems far. He's either way off base or correct.

YuShtink

PS3 was a contender again in part because of the things you mentioned, but mainly because of worldwide appeal. XB1 doesn't have that in its corner. Even if it starts outselling the PS4 in the US (which I do not think will ever become a consistent trend) it will never catch up on worldwide sales.

I really don't care if it "wins" in the end. Right now I just think Xbox has the better available library (Note RIGHT NOW), and feel that they probably deserve more sales RIGHT NOW because of that. Sony needs to step it up and stop riding the "MS sucks" wave they've found themselves on since early last year, and actually provide some bigger budget games worth buying a system for.

Swass

Is this similar to picking the worst team in the playoffs to win in hopes they become a cinderella team and win it all so you win huge because of the odds and look like a genius?

I don't see how September can even be close with months of pre orders of the Destiny white bundle going into the month, the standard PS4 and bundle have been in the Amazon top 10 all month meanwhile the Madden Xbone bundle fell off fast and only the Kinectless sku has managed to hang around the 40 spot.. there's just no way.

Biker19

Banned
Of course. RROD is the entire reason Sony sold 10M PS3's in Japan and made up a lot of lost US sales in mainland Europe because only dirty Americans would buy such an unreliable piece of hardware.

Sony also had two generations of dominance with PS1 & PS2, while Microsoft had zero. Pretty easy to see why PS3 would make a comeback in worldwide sales sooner or later.

Only difference was in America in which the gap between 360 & PS3 in sales were far too great (Xbox 360 had almost about a 19 million lead over PS3 in America!).

I doubt MS will say much if they do win a month, would seem pretty stupid to puff their chest out over winning 1 month when they've had their asses handed to them for the last 8 or so

Is this a joke post? Of course they will. They release statements even when they have mediocre months

Is this a joke post? Of course they will. They release statements even when they have mediocre months

Release statements vs bragging, which is what I said. Would be embarrassing for them to be all "we won!" and brag only to lose again hard the next month, their recent NPD comments have been pretty short, to my knowledge

Hindle

Banned
I doubt MS will say much if they do win a month, would seem pretty stupid to puff their chest out over winning 1 month when they've had their asses handed to them for the last 8 or so

We'd have heard something already if MS have won this month, be it teasing from Nelson, or Bish doing his hinting.

I bought an XboxOne in October that was won in a carnival in September. If all carnivals purchased their XboxOne's in September I can see this happening. I believe Pachter has the inside scoop on Carnival purchase activity.

Zephyrus

Banned
I really don't care if it "wins" in the end. Right now I just think Xbox has the better available library (Note RIGHT NOW), and feel that they probably deserve more sales RIGHT NOW because of that. Sony needs to step it up and stop riding the "MS sucks" wave they've found themselves on since early last year, and actually provide some bigger budget games worth buying a system for.

Yeah, let's instantly reward a company which tried to pull the biggest anti-consumer move in the history of videogames, because they have "nice" games now.

Must be nice having the memory capacity of a goldfish, but for me I'd REALLY like to see Microsoft struggle for a while.
See some real investments that scream 8 year plan and not "hey, we paid to have this timed exclusive game".

Because quite frankly, that's what I'm seeing currently.

When I remember this tomorrow at work....

flao.gif

Release statements vs bragging, which is what I said. Would be embarrassing for them to be all "we won!" and brag only to lose again hard the next month, their recent NPD comments have been pretty short, to my knowledge

MS does have Sunset O and Halo in their back pocket. Not sure if they will lose hard for the rest of the year.

September NPD includes all the white PS4 Destiny hardware bundles sales on top of the normal SKU sales doesn't it?

The man is a numpty if that is the case.

I would be amazed if PS4 only sold 250k the month Destiny launched. That would be almost as big of a fail as XB1 in March with Titanfall and price drops.

hawk2025

Therein lies the issue; You use your opinion and project it in everyone else.

It's fine that you believe it has a better library that deserves larger sales; The market clearly disagrees, and it speaks with the loudest voice of all: Actual sales.

lol

They will scream from the mountaintops and cite their recent "increasing momentum" approach.

Xando

I never understand how a company can "deserve" anything.

Bigger budget doesn't mean better games. I would rather they spend the money on a variety of games with different budget sizes.

Darksol

MS does have Sunset O and Halo in their back pocket. Not sure if they will lose hard for the rest of the year.

SO looks fun, but it isn't a game changer. As for MCC, I think it'll sell very well...to people who already bought an Xbox One.

I don't see either giving MS a lead in hardware.

They would absolutely do that. Their NPD comments have been getting shorter because they've been losing lately.

I bought an XboxOne in October that was won in a carnival in September. If all carnivals purchased their XboxOne's in September I can see this happening. I believe Pachter has the inside scoop on Carnival purchase activity.

You know I really enjoyed this post more than I should've. Now I really want to go to a carnival though :p

How can people know before NPD has their session?

MS will have their own methods of tracking sales. Online connections, retail insights etc. so they'll have a good idea how they did. NPD is just the official numbers everyone agrees to play with

Market says it doesn't have the better library, and since multiplats are better, and PS4 has far more exclusives, I can't see that changing soonish. Even MCC will only bring the Halo hardcore in, many of which will have already bought in knowing a Halo was due.

And no one should ever put any weight on SO being a market changer. Therein lies madness.

Even if NPDs come back with PS4 on top, he could still be right since NPDs probably don't track carnival hardware sales.

SO looks fun, but it isn't a game changer. As for MCC, I think it'll sell very well...to people who already bought an Xbox One.

I don't see either giving MS a lead in hardware.

There are many gamers who haven't made the jump to XB1 or PS4. SO on its may not be a game changer, but SO, Forza H2, Halo plus a MS promotion could be a difference.

Vilifier

Neo Member
Classic Pachter. I think there is a chance it could be close, but it would be surprising if Xboxone wins the month by a clear margin.

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's already happening. You can read some of the comments already crossing their fingers that this isn't true. The console wars between XBOX and Playstation loyalists will never die it seems.

Well, it's like this for every wild prediction: "Just hope they are right to see the meltdowns"....if that isn't crossing fingers to see the Xbox takeover in the U.S I don't know what is.

Biker19

Banned
Yeah, let's instantly reward a company which tried to pull the biggest anti-consumer move in the history of videogames, because they have "nice" games now.

Must be nice having the memory capacity of a goldfish, but for me I'd REALLY like to see Microsoft struggle for a while.
See some real investments that scream 8 year plan and not "hey, we paid to have this timed exclusive game".

Because quite frankly, that's what I'm seeing currently.

Exactly, especially when MS hasn't exactly been totally committed towards building a huge library with 1st party games like Nintendo & Sony are (see the years of E3 2010 to present with Xbox 360 as an example).

Microsoft's only getting back into games now because their attempt of winning over the market with "TV, TV, TV" & the NFL deal had failed. They're not exactly doing this out of the goodness of their hearts for gamers at all.

Pain

Banned
Just curious, does anyone really think Pachter is right with this one? This goes against all data we have be it Amazon charts, Sony's statements of huge hardware sales and Destiny bundle.

Hmm...bold prediction. I'm sure the X1 had a great September given the free game promo, leftover Madden Bundles from August, and the superior lineup of exclusives nearing release (I bought one in September myself) but to beat the PS4 with the white Destiny bundle would be extraordinary.

SO looks fun, but i As for MCC, I think it'll sell very well...to people who already bought an Xbox One.
I know I'm only one person and I've been loving my PS4 for nearly a year coming from 360 but in my opinion MCC will sell consoles. Bought mine just for that game.

Hmm...bold prediction. I'm sure the X1 had a great September given the free game promo, leftover Madden Bundles from August, and the superior lineup of exclusives nearing release (I bought one in September myself) but to beat the PS4 with the white Destiny bundle would be extraordinary.

Was it ever reported how many white PS4 bundles produced?

Aroll

The problem with that cheaper bundle for Destiny thing is that Microsoft couldn't advertise it. If you can't advertise it, only places like right here even know it exists and is cheaper. Basically, while a logical reason, since it couldn't be advertised, Destiny pushed the PS4, not the Xbox One, and the week to week sales figures seem to prove that. The Madden bundle was probably a good performer for Xbox One, but that wasn't a last month game.

Top Bottom