• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

As funny as this news is because of Patcher, I'm really interested to see what Sony is going to do with Japan.

3DS just did 230k over there with new launch and Monster Hunter. It has to sting bad to know that one franchise might have literally changed the entire landscape of Vita in the land of the rising sun.

But, since that dream is gone, I'm interested in seeing if Sony can spark some interest back in console gaming.

iZ6aL5v5PK6Pp.gif

Judging by the size of this thread pachter wins again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Another interesting month of NPD's already down. Onward to November I guess?

Sony is going to mop up this holiday.

ryuken-d

Continued? Really?? WTF is this?

What exactly have they done since Last year that has pissed people off?

haven't you been listening! tomb raider II paid with dirty xbox money!!!! hahaha I'm joking.....half joking. we all agree that every non Gaffer could or couldnt give a shit about most of the stuff we talk about but you cant say xbox hasnt pissed people off lately.

Palocca

Once again, Pachter is wrong.

PlayStation @PlayStation · 29m 29 minutes ago

Breaking: PS4 was September's top-selling console, leading current-gen software sales including Madden NFL 15, NHL 15 & FIFA 15. Thank you 💙

Asd202

As funny as this news is because of Patcher, I'm really interested to see what Sony is going to do with Japan.

3DS just did 230k over there with new launch and Monster Hunter. It has to sting bad to know that one franchise might have literally changed the entire landscape of Vita in the land of the rising sun.

But, since that dream is gone, I'm interested in seeing if Sony can spark some interest back in console gaming.

That ship has sailed Japan is about gaming on the go.

ryuken-d

very good question, I'm hoping they just need time and for the PS3 to stop being so amazing. its seriously still amazing a buddy of mine still gets JRPG/imports even after having both xbone and PS4!!

Oshimai

IGN said:
Sony has confirmed that PlayStation 4 was September 2014’s best-selling console in North America, producing numbers nearly triple what was sold in August of 2014, when PS4 was also the best-selling console in the United States. The PS4 has outsold its competition for nine straight months and counting.

On PlayStation Network, Destiny set records for most digital pre-orders, most day one digital sales, and most week one digital sales. The PlayStation Network originally debuted in the fall of 2006.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/10/16/playstation-4-destiny-dominate-us-sales-charts

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm so shocked that Pachter was wrong. Again. So very, very shocked. Seriously, how does this guy get to keep being regarded as some sort of authority on these things? I know this isn't his actual job, and I'm sure he's good at some other stuff, but he's so bad at this! Why do people (sites?) keep listening to him?

That ship has sailed Japan is about gaming on the go.
The problem I have with this attitude towards console gaming is that it assumes JPN can't be brought back. The ship can be reeled back in. It just needs some "system-sellers." Persona 5 should start that trend, even if the game is cross-gen.

I'm so shocked that Pachter was wrong. Again. So very, very shocked. Seriously, how does this guy get to keep being regarded as some sort of authority on these things? I know this isn't his actual job, and I'm sure he's good at some other stuff, but he's so bad at this! Why do people (sites?) keep listening to him?

No one does apparently, everyone thinks he's a joke. Yet it's still a big deal and there's loads of celebrating when he's wrong.

Of course this doesn't really make sense but people go along with it.

Game Guru

The same is true this generation, except the roles are reversed

The same could be said this gen but vise versa.

Not really... The best 360 was able to achieve against the PS3 worldwide was practically a tie for second place to the Wii, not the utter domination that PS1 and PS2 had. That was due to sales in the US and the UK. Outside of the US and the UK, Sony has always been king. Had Xbox One not fumbled with the initial reveal, the best MS could hope for against the PS4 was another practical tie, though for first-place. However, because of the fumble, PS4 will end up the utter domination that PS1 and PS2 has.

So long as Xbox can only get notable marketshare in the US and the UK, the best Xbox can hope for is to practically tie with PlayStation. However, PlayStation can get utter domination if they win the US and the UK because the rest of the world will always be on board with PlayStation.

Because nobody* (not all, but hyperbole) bothers to check how Pachter's predictions actually compare with the actual result. They just see 'analyst' and go all gaga and makes news stories out of his predictions just because he's an analyst, not bothering to factcheck whether or not these predictions are valid opinions built on a history of strong predictions.

Those who frequent the NPD threads know that Pach's predictions are shit. Too bad many news outlet don't visit GAF often enough.

ryuken-d

why did you think he could be right?

Start of what? PS4 will be behind PS3 LTD in Japan no question about it.

Not debating that, yet, but 2015 is when the bigger titles will begin hitting over there. Japan was late to development it seems. Everyone is hopping on board as TGS showed. We will see how the momentum picks up as the year goes on and the titles begin to hit.

Not debating that, yet, but 2015 is when the bigger titles will begin hitting over there. Japan was late to development it seems. Everyone is hopping on board as TGS showed. We will see how the momentum picks up as the year goes on and the titles begin to hit.
2015 JPN is closer to 2014 West. They'll still be releasing a ton of cross-gen titles. On the bright side, TGS next year should show a lot more exclusives. 2015 will be good for JPN PS4, no doubt.

ryuken-d

Not really... The best 360 was able to achieve against the PS3 worldwide was practically a tie for second place to the Wii, not the utter domination that PS1 and PS2 had. That was due to sales in the US and the UK. Outside of the US and the UK, Sony has always been king. Had Xbox One not fumbled with the initial reveal, the best MS could hope for against the PS4 was another practical tie, though for first-place. However, because of the fumble, PS4 will end up the utter domination that PS1 and PS2 has.

So long as Xbox can only get notable marketshare in the US and the UK, the best Xbox can hope for is to practically tie with PlayStation. However, PlayStation can get utter domination if they win the US and the UK because the rest of the world will always be on board with PlayStation.

where the hell were you at every PS Vs. Xbox thread ever?! and at the same time I say duh, right, exacly. everybody knows this, man.

I wonder why the game industry has only 1 analyst to listen to.

Joking of course, but I guess the reason he's the most popular among gamers and media is because he got famous making bad predictions and it somehow became his schtick.

What does Japan have to do with NPD? We have media create threads for proper Japanese sales discussion. I will say one thing about it though. I see Sony pushing the PS4 more than the PSV there since the former is getting FF,MGS, KH, DQ, RE, GT etc.

lol I don't get this, of course the xbox version could sell more. There were close to 600K ps4 sold and many of them were probably destiny bundles.

maybe just read on hard core gamer that PS4 definitely was the leading platform in terms of sales according to Bungie. Maybe Sony kept mum to let Bungie say it themselves

Top Bottom