• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
PyncNGy.png

GnawtyDog

Banned
Well, well....

I still don't know how people are hesistant to call Pachter out on his ridiculous predictions.....

The "I doubt he's right" is just a cop out when you know he's flat out wrong. Have faith in your reasoning and stand by it.

Patroclos

Banned
At least a few in the thread dedicated to it!

To you specifically, No thread there. Not sure what you mean?

To others who commented; If anyone here doubts people were praising the ad then you should go check out the OT for the day the ad dropped. There was a certain segment of Gaf that was loving it and praising it to high heaven.

i'm so lost by your points. you PAY for a service, you can't use the BUTMSHASMORESERVERS argument. customers are actively paying to access your network, buy/rent more servers. this shit has been going on since the ps3 launched in 2006! buy some of these magical "cloud(such a dumb marketing term)" servers that you guys keep bringing up from MS.

Halp! I'm done. You're just clueless about how servers or internet traffic works. Have fun bashing down the wrong heads!

To others who commented; If anyone here doubts people were praising the ad then you should go check out the OT for the day the ad dropped. There was a certain segment of Gaf that was loving it and praising it to high heaven.

Why are you the only one going on about a cologne breh?

This really does show the massive damage Mattrick & co did to the Xbox brand... Just insane how the brand is just now damaged to many people, even to the mainstream.

I've been surprised by all of this. I thought the "mainstream" would still buy it because of the brand but no, they seem to be aware of the same initial issues as we all we're. Just goes to show word of mouth is king.

Keep going Phil, you are making the right moves! You may need to weather out the storm though.
Err, are some of you 17-19 year olds here or something? I'd say the irregularity is Sony screwing up during the PS3 generation than MS screwing up this gen (which they did as well). Did people completely forget that the PS1 and PS2 completely dominated their generations?

Anion

Praising the ad for its halariaty != ad making an effect on market.

zychi

Banned
Halp! I'm done. You're just clueless about how servers or internet traffic works. Have fun bashing down the wrong heads!

You do know that Microsoft has huge server networks which Sony doesn't have? Microsoft is one of the biggest cloud providers, Sony is not. Do you see where I'm going?

so difficult! please teach me ol wise one!

sony needs more "server networks" (according to you, i'd personally call them just servers or network servers), there are a bunch of companies who provide them, including MS. rent some servers from them. so difficult. but i guess a business like Sony would never ever use anything Microsoft related. since this is a "console war."

oh wait,

I guess Sony and MS just hate working together.

Robcat

Banned
I'm really confused why this is such a big deal. Some of you are seem like you are taking it personal. I'm confused how this thread exploded from a guy just making a prediction about sales numbers. I'm not really sure why this matters so much.

Con_Smith

Banned
LMAO. I hope you aren't serious.

Yeah right. People who care about a fucking interface enough to justify their console decision make me roll my eyes. Laughed my ass off when someone in here wished Microsoft won for the month based off their OS update speed. I want Microsoft to be competitive and fight for my dollars with their actual first parties not how I access my games and content on their machine and the fact so many people seem to use that as justification makes me shrug as much as they probably do at my opinion.

Elios83

I'm really confused why this is such a big deal. Some of you are seem like you are taking it personal. I'm confused how this thread exploded from a guy just making a prediction about sales numbers. I'm not really sure why this matters so much.

He's a well paid professional figure who failed to see something that everyone in a message board could see (PS4 selling a LOT this month and outselling the XB1).
The calling out is definetly deserved although I agree that it's not such a big deal (definetly not worth of a 75 pages drama), he has been wrong countless times before :p

greyskull

There was nothing technically "wrong" about anything. He's an analyst and his firm had their own estimates for overall sales. He didn't give out any "info".

It says it right in the OP title: "Predicts". The title of the linked article is a bit silly, should have put the "estimates" part at the beginning. Are people upset at Pachter for some other reason? I don't know all the history between GAF and him. He just made a wrong call right now.

Magnus

It was Destiny's launch month. A game which, if you only look at Marketing/Advertising, may as well be a PS4 exclusive. This was always going to be a PS4 victory month, imo.

There was nothing technically "wrong" about anything. He's an analyst and his firm had their own estimates for overall sales. He didn't give out any "info".

If Sony didn't come out and say that Destiny week was their best week this year, you're right.

But they did, and as an analyst, him not taking that statement into account of his analysis is a very flawed approach that lacks even basic research of figures.

It's like predicting IPhone will only sell 10 million units at launch even though Apple confirmed 8 million preorders. (example btw)

Pain

Banned
It was Destiny's launch month. A game which, if you only look at Marketing/Advertising, may as well be a PS4 exclusive. This was always going to be a PS4 victory month, imo.
yeah, it was pretty obvious.
Why was Pachter so off though?

greyskull

so difficult! please teach me ol wise one!

For one thing, you're comparing completely different divisions at the end there. It's just like how Apple uses (used?) Samsung hardware (flash at least) in their devices. Yeah, they're competitors when it comes to the consumer hardware, but it doesn't mean Apple should not cooperate with Samsung on getting good parts. Same as it doesn't make sense for a PC manufacturer to not support Windows because one of their divisions directly competes with Microsoft.

As for this issue, you can rarely throw more servers and hardware at a network problem and see it fixed. We don't know (and I doubt) that this is a capacity issue. It may be an architecture issue, or poor software, or ISP problems, or one of many other reasons. But I'm confident that it's not capacity.

Sony is not a software or infrastructure company. Microsoft is. MS has built their entire business around enterprise infrastructure. They do software, and have been for a long time. They're very good at it, which is why XBL and the console software are both far ahead of anything Sony puts out.

That being said, it doesn't excuse the sorry state of Sony's gaming software and infrastructure. I would have expected that after being in the business so long, after seeing how much MS innovated on XBL and the 360 over last-gen, that they'd have acquired the talent and idea to make proper interfaces and robust back-ends. I very much enjoy my PS4, but there are glaring flaws, and it doesn't help that XBO/XBL is over there working fine and getting updates. It shows in my Vita as well.

So i'm late to this thread. Was Pachter right?? Or just trolling???

Wrong by a large margin.

He can't fathom gamers buying the more expensive console.

Because in his mind, price is the only thing separating both consoles. He cannot process why someone will pick an expensive $439 bundle over a $399 two game bundle.

Top Bottom