• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim and the sword [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did people like the Russian one when it punked out and died in like 90 seconds?

The scene where it appears out of the wave while running at the kaiju and dropping an elbow on its head, while the music changes and becomes all russiany is easily my favourite scene in the movie; it's pure actionscene perfection.

I love the film, but a couple of things bother me: fair enough that Rayleigh didn't know about the sword, but why didn't he and Mako have more training with the rebuilt Gypsy Danger before they actually took it out? Then he would have had opportunity to learn about the sword and other additional systems and weapons. And the one time they do practice together when Mako gets lost in a memory and almost destroys the control room, she holds up her right hand but she's not holding the 'controller' in her hand at the time, so going by the rules the film establishes earlier she shouldn't have been able to equip the arm cannon unless Rayleigh was doing the same movement. Plus, while they were neurally linking for the first time, couldn't they have done it with some kind of training module rather than an active Jaeger with live weapon systems? Or at least done it within the Jaeger but with the weapons deactivated.

Also, I love it when Gypsy Danger is fighting the big gorilla Kaiju and they pick up shipping containers to smash into the sides of its face. I just love how silly and showy that is - the shipping containers will be thin metal that wouldn't have half the impact of just punching the thing, but it looks so good. And I love the elbow rocket too. I hope there's double elbow rockets in the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom