• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim and the sword [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
7ULJGMl.gif

An example of a ship being hit by a supersonic anti-ship missile.

Ive watched this gif a million times now.
I must find more videos of this kinda shit.
off to google.

LakeEarth

I thought Crimson Typhoon had buzzsaws which went against the "no blood" rule in the OP, but apparently it's not saws but their hands? What's the point of them spinning like that if it wasn't for cutting? I only know what I saw in the movie, and what I saw was Crimson Typhoon doing one cool flip thing and then getting owned.

cntr

Banned
I thought Crimson Typhoon had buzzsaws which went against the "no blood" rule in the OP, but apparently it's not saws but their hands? What's the point of them spinning like that if it wasn't for cutting? I only know what I saw in the movie, and what I saw was Crimson Typhoon doing one cool flip thing and then getting owned.
They do cut once or twice, yeah. But note that their cuts are fairly shallow, while Gipsy's sword cuts limbs off and entire kaiju in half.

Crimson relies on doing a bunch of shallow cuts to initially damage the kaiju, and then blasts them with its own plasma cannon. It spills blood, yes, but not as much as Gipsy's sword does. And, sorry, I wasn't clear -- I didn't mean absolutely no blood, just a minimal amount of blood. Crimson does risk it more than the other Jaegers, but it doesn't completely ignore the idea.

I think their use of cutting weapons might even be a subtle reference to China's lax environmental pollution standards.

Chichikov

They do cut once or twice, yeah. But note that their cuts are fairly shallow, while Gipsy's sword cuts limbs off and entire kaiju in half.

Crimson relies on doing a bunch of shallow cuts to initially damage the kaiju, and then blasts them with its own plasma cannon. It spills blood, yes, but not as much as Gipsy's sword does. And, sorry, I wasn't clear -- I didn't mean absolutely no blood, just a minimal amount of blood. Crimson does risk it more than the other Jaegers, but it doesn't completely ignore the idea.

I think their use of cutting weapons might even be a subtle reference to China's lax environmental pollution standards.
Seriously I got to ask, you honestly think this is anything but a bit of lazy writing?
Like, you really think they went and thought about all you explanations before they wrote that scene?

Again, I don't think it ruined the movie or anything, I mean I do think it's better to establish what your characters can and cannot do, especially when you deal with giant robots and giant monsters, otherwise you get that "oh, I guess they can that now" feeling, which can feel the scene being bit unearned, but that's the extent of it.

I think they wanted to write a scene with a cool super sword that wrecked the shit out of the monster, but they wanted to maintain the tension and keep the robots underdogs, so that's what we got.

cntr

Banned
Seriously I got to ask, you honestly think this is anything but a bit of lazy writing?
Like, you really think they went and thought about all you explanations before they wrote that scene?

Again, I don't think it ruined the movie or anything, I mean I do think it's better to establish what your characters can and cannot do, especially when you deal with giant robots and giant monsters, otherwise you get that "oh, I guess they can that now" feeling, which can feel the scene being bit unearned, but that's the extent of it.

I think they wanted to write a scene with a cool super sword that wrecked the shit out of the monster, but they wanted to maintain the tension and keep the robots underdogs, so that's what we got.
...yes, because they released the documents they used to design the world and reveal background information. Which is where I get these most of these explanations from. As I said, Pacific Rim is a very visual movie -- you can't ignore what information is conveyed through visuals.

The writer, Travis Beacham, has said that he built the world of Pacific Rim even before the movie was made. He even blogs random backstories of pilots who've never appeared in any actual Pacific Rim media. They didn't bullshit everything as they went along making the movie.

Chichikov

...yes, because they released the documents they used to design the world and reveal background information. Which is where I get these most of these explanations from. As I said, Pacific Rim is a very visual movie -- you can't ignore what information is conveyed through visuals.

The writer, Travis Beacham, has said that he built the world of Pacific Rim even before the movie was made. He even blogs random backstories of pilots who've never appeared in any actual Pacific Rim media. They didn't bullshit everything as they went along making the movie.
Everything is bullshit, it's a made up fictional world.
If they actually thought that through and had an explanation then they did a shit job of conveying it in the movie, because to me it felt pretty random (and apparently a lot of people felt the same).
That's a failure of filmmaking, like, they're not making a riddle movie, right?
You want people to be in the movie, you want people to suspend their disbelief, you really don't want them to go "wait, why? how? what?"/
It isn't supposed to be mystery you're trying to figure out and certainly not something you should read on the internet in order to understand.

Though again, this was a pretty minor point for me and it didn't what made not like the film as much as I hoped I would.

cntr

Banned
Simply because you failed to understand concepts because they weren't explained in words doesn't make Pacific Rim a bad movie. At most, it means that they misjudged how some people would interpret the film.

cntr

Banned
This is an airtight argument. Case closed.
Okay, I was waiting for someone to ask questions about this. It is a reference to this concept:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LikeRealityUnlessNoted

Most movies are best interpreted when you assume that anything unstated or not (implicitly or explicitly) contradicted is like reality. (No, this is not an endorsement of "why didn't they nuke"-style criticisms.)

If plasma swords were a real thing in real life, it would be strange to not have them appear in Pacific Rim. But they're not, and it gives no indication that such weapons exist in the movie, so it's best to assume that they don't because that's movie convention. Compare stuff like fighter planes, which exist in real life -- and are thus addressed in the opening scenes.

Chichikov

Simply because you failed to understand concepts because they weren't explained in words doesn't make Pacific Rim a bad movie. At most, it means that they misjudged how some people would interpret the film.
Unless your goal is to make a confusing or mysterious film (and I don't think Pacific Rim meant to be either) if a large segment of your audience fail to understand the movie, that's a failure of filmmaking.
Though really, I think this is a more philosophical point, since I really don't think the majority of the people who didn't like Pacific Rim didn't like it because it was too smart for them to understand.

But once again just so we're clear, I don't think the sword thing is a huge failure or anything. Could've probably be handled better, like, great action scenes don't need internet essays to explain why they make sense, but whatever, that fight was good, if the whole film was like it I would've probably liked that movie much more than I did.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Is it really necessary for some people to try and overthink movies like pacific rim? They used giant robots because giant robots are cool.

Gnome

I find the entire premise of the movie to be dumb. Dumb things can still be enjoyable though, even if I didn't care for the movie.

Chichikov

Is it really necessary for some people to try and overthink movies like pacific rim? They used giant robots because giant robots are cool.
Giant robots are cool.
Clunky dialog, bad acting, terrible pacing, boring non-robot punching scenes and weird fights in the water where you can barely see what's going on aren't cool.
All of those are much bigger problem than the sword.

Also, I think the OP is overthinking the movie much more than its average detractors.

NotLiquid

Pacific Rim was a generally pretty dumb movie but I think people tend to also underestimate how smart some of it really was. It didn't have to command a lot of sense from it's audience in being a sincere love letter for dumb mecha elements but even when it does it tends to be managed in pretty subtle ways. For one thing the whole idea of "drift compatibility" is a pretty good way to correlate character development with how well they're able to control a giant fucking robot. OPs explanations also add onto much of what I feel Guillermo del Toro nails in terms of bringing the thought process into many of the dumb series that ended up informing Pacific Rim. People ask whether the creative team "honestly thought into this" and it wasn't just the fans looking for some kind of justification but this is the kind of stuff del Toro does. He's great at this nerdy kind of detail.

I mean sure, there are a lot of dumb elements still that can't just be explained away (Gypsy running on nuclear power should not make it exempt from an EMP, that boat-bat should totally fall apart although I'd like to think they took much liberty in the way of making it "cool"). But as a whole Pacific Rim is mostly consistent with itself in being a dumb but smart movie. It kind of boggles my mind how much scrutiny it gets sometimes, especially at communities you figure would be all over this kind of movie. The way people make it sound at times it's like if it's a Bayformers movie. If nothing else, Pacific Rim is the closest thing to what a blockbuster Transformers movie should feel like.

As a side note, I can't recall whether Raleigh actually knew about the sword or not. The explanation as to why they don't think to use the sword makes more sense since I don't explicitly remember Raleigh reacting to it (been a while since I watched it). Mako was probably just faster on the pickup. Whatever, it's a cool scene regardless and is clearly done for the sake of being over-the-top.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, they botched the nuclear/analog thing. I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a reference to Giant Robo, but it doesn't actually make sense.

One possible explanation, and this an actual fan-theory, is that Gipsy's electronics are shielded from the nuclear radiation, and it is thus shielded from the EMP.

The sword wasn't used before because Mako wasn't ready to do it. The sword symbolizes her strength, and only in that moment was she ready and strong enough to actually break through her fear of Kaijus and do some real damage.

Otherwise i think it's pretty dumb to negatively criticize a movie for being dumb when the movie itself makes no real attempt to prove otherwise. Pacific Rim accomplished exactly what it wanted to, awesome robot on monster action, a little drama here and there, some metaphors here and there, and a whole lot of lore.

cntr

Banned
The sword wasn't used before because Mako wasn't ready to do it. The sword symbolizes her strength, and only in that moment was she ready and strong enough to actually break through her fear of Kaijus and do some real damage.
Yeah. Note how Raleigh essentially leads the way through most of the Hong Kong battle, until the final moment, when Mako takes it.

Everything in the OP is motherfucking right, people just like to overlook the logic that requires just a tiny bit of thought when it comes to this film.

One of my all time fav action movies.

Yah, what about that OP?

Well neither do 300 ft robots!

300ft robots are fucking cool though.

OP hasn't fabricated evidence, but he has put the evidence together in order to reach an intended conclusion.

Nah, one of the first things you're told in the movie is that the kaiju blood is highly toxic. It's fairly easy to work out the rest if you think about it.

I think the problem is that the movie is sloppily written in terms of what's shown on the screen, regardless of how well the lore is worked out behind the scenes. It has a poor balance between the Rule of Cool and creating suspension of disbelief. Like the infamous line about Gypsy Danger being "analog" because it has a nuclear reactor. This line is in there because it's a classic anime reference (Giant Robo OVA) which is simultaneously cool yet makes the writer look ignorant because of how it is used.

That's the one that annoyed me too. Two guesses, first is that Gipsy's electronics are behind a lot of shielding because it's powered by a nuclear reactor. Second guess is that because it's nuclear power instead of a battery or something like that, when it's turned off there's zero power going around the circuits so that stops them being damaged by the EMP.

That's all pulled out of my arse with nothing to suggest any of that in the movie.

I certainly would have appreciated a gigantic piston powered punch followed by a big *WHOOSH* of steam, but they gotta save something for the sequel!

It's close enough

pacific_cherno_alpha_vs_otachi_3_by_xxsederapxx-d6xqmoo.gif

1377635512708.gif

Also, given that I didn't see the bodies I'm going to assume that the Kaidonovskys survived, the final scene of the yet to be released extended cut is the two of them swimming to shore like the ending of Jaws and we'll see Cherno Alpha Mk 2 in the sequel.

Cherno Alpha is the best.

Hero

The Russians lived? I thought they were confirmed KIA.

Even if they did, why would they be back? Could've sworn I remembered reading that the Russian Jaegars didn't have escape pods built-in because their mentality was that if the pilots needed to use them then they failed the motherland.

cntr

Banned

Even if they did, why would they be back? Could've sworn I remembered reading that the Russian Jaegars didn't have escape pods built-in because their mentality was that if the pilots needed to use them then they failed the motherland.
They didn't live, it's just a fan joke/wish because they really liked the Russians. (And who wouldn't?)

cntr

Banned
In the first cafeteria scene, when Raleigh walks past the Russians, Sasha puts a protective arm around her husband and scowls at Raleigh. And when Gipsy is about to blow up the Shatterdome with the plasma gun, everybody runs away, but the Russians look mildly concerned and just walk away.

And in the Hong Kong battle, they use actual Russian swearing! And when they're being held down in the water, they continue punching the kaiju while, y'know, drowning.

Did you see the bodies? Until then I refuse to give up the dream of Cherno coming back.

It could have been worse.

It could have been that snorefest Godzilla.

Ugh, tell me about it. pacific rim wasn't great, but it was good fun.
I let myself get pulled into seeing godzilla opening night because of the amazing marketing and Bryan Cranston. What a dissapointment. At least with Pacific Rim I didn't feel like my time was wasted

Tawpgun

The chinese team could still be alive though right? All I remember is their jaeger cockpit being ripped out and thrown into the water.

zeemumu

Aren't Jaegers supposed to kill the Kaiju BEFORE they get to the city. Most of the fights take place in the icean, and the ones that don't usually happened due to someone's error. So would Kaiju blood still be a risk for infecting the city?

And shouldn't Raleigh have been aware of the changes being made to Gypsy before getting into it? It's not like he didn't have time and he's trusting that robot with his life. He didn't take the time to read the patch notes

And if they have cauterizing blade technology, why didn't they just use that primarily? If you wanted to go ranged, you don't need a giant robot. Just mount the cannons on something else.

And what was the point of discontinuing Jaegers to build a wall? The one shot of the wall we see, a Kaiju plows through it like tissue.

All that said I love this movie dearly.
Did you see the bodies? Until then I refuse to give up the dream of Cherno coming back.
Their cockpit exploded while they were drowning. Russia can make another one but those pilots are dead.

cntr

Banned
Aren't Jaegers supposed to kill the Kaiju BEFORE they get to the city. Most of the fights take place in the icean, and the ones that don't usually happened due to someone's error. So would Kaiju blood still be a risk for infecting the city?
It's a mixture of not wanting to pollute the environment (environmentalism was evidently more successful there) and the fact that they often don't succeed stopping the kaiju from entering the city.

And shouldn't Raleigh have been aware of the changes being made to Gypsy before getting into it? It's not like he didn't have time and he's trusting that robot with his life. He didn't take the time to read the patch notes
Yeah, this really needs to be clearer, tbh.

And if they have cauterizing blade technology, why didn't they just use that primarily? If you wanted to go ranged, you don't need a giant robot. Just mount the cannons on something else.
Remember that the anti-kaiju missiles and the cauterizing blade are both found on Striker Eureka -- the most cutting edge of the Jaegers. So they simply might not have existed when previous Jaegers were made.

And what was the point of discontinuing Jaegers to build a wall? The one shot of the wall we see, a Kaiju plows through it like tissue.
Well, the point was that the politicians were backing something that didn't work because they had given up, and were just making a meaningless gesture. That said, it really was too obviously dumb to be accepted by the audience. Something more subtle would've worked better.

Ominym

Banned
The real reason is because it lead to a cool reveal, there doesn't need to be any further explanation than that.

I love it when there are well-thought out explanations for seemingly nonsensical or arbitrary things. This even explains why they used giant robots rather than "focusing R&D on more practical weapons" (I've seen this one from time to time). Nice job!

zeshakag

I've found you can glean how compelling the craft of a movie is by the subtextual layer at which most discussions about said movie occurs.

People debating sword mechanics, or arguing that Count Duku wore a different shirt in the comics or some shit, kaiju blood is deadly so giant robots have to punch it

vs

What the actions taken by Bob say about what humans really want in life when confronted with death, or discussion of cinematography and how the picture framing of Bob throughout the movie changed based on his perceived financial worth, is our society really headed towards loving AI like otaku love body pillows

cntr

Banned
I've found you can glean how compelling the craft of a movie is by the subtextual layer at which most discussions about said movie occurs.

People debating sword mechanics, or arguing that Count Duku wore a different shirt in the comics or some shit, kaiju blood is deadly so giant robots have to punch it

vs

What the actions taken by Bob say about what humans really want in life when confronted with death, or discussion of cinematography and how the picture framing of Bob throughout the movie changed based on his perceived financial worth, is our society really headed towards loving AI like otaku love body pillows
I think I prefer the former rather than the silly "philosophical" movies like the latter. Not to say that I don't like philosophical movies, it's just that it's very rare to make it actually work.

zeshakag

I think I prefer the former rather than the silly "philosophical" movies like the latter. Not to say that I don't like philosophical movies, it's just that it's very rare to make it actually work.

Those discussions aren't exclusive to "philosophical" movies. Those discussions are possible in any movie with meaningful conflict.

Snowpiercer, District 9, Mad Max Fury Road, Inside Out are just a small sample of popular movies that make us think and ask questions. There is much to talk about, and you don't need to squeeze blood from a stone to have any meaningful conversation about it.

JCX

Thank you OP. I got it on my first viewing, but some people need this "dumb movie" explained to them.

I mean sure, there are a lot of dumb elements still that can't just be explained away (Gypsy running on nuclear power should not make it exempt from an EMP, that boat-bat should totally fall apart although I'd like to think they took much liberty in the way of making it "cool"). But as a whole Pacific Rim is mostly consistent with itself in being a dumb but smart movie. It kind of boggles my mind how much scrutiny it gets sometimes, especially at communities you figure would be all over this kind of movie. The way people make it sound at times it's like if it's a Bayformers movie. If nothing else, Pacific Rim is the closest thing to what a blockbuster Transformers movie should feel like.

Del Toro pretty much says as much in the behind he scenes making of for the movie.

cntr

Banned
Those discussions aren't exclusive to "philosophical" movies. Those discussions are possible in any movie with meaningful conflict.

Snowpiercer, District 9, Mad Max Fury Road, Inside Out are just a small sample of popular movies that make us think and ask questions. There is much to talk about, and you don't need to squeeze blood from a stone to have any meaningful conversation about it.
yeah, and the philosophical bits in those kind of movies tend to be the worst parts

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What is stupid about Pacific Rim is that the Kaijuu enters our world always from the same spot, every time, all the time, and yet they don't just put Jaeger patrols nearby the entrance and instead wait for the Kaijuu to wonder around and cause destruction before fighting them. That's just retarded.

Arondight

What is stupid about Pacific Rim is that the Kaijuu enters our world always from the same spot, every time, all the time, and yet they don't just put Jaeger patrols nearby the entrance and instead wait for the Kaijuu to wonder around and cause destruction before fighting them. That's just retarded.

I thought it was really because Jaeger's aren't really good for underwater battles. Hence why they always stick to the coast as a tactic where they seem to have far better mobility and far greater chance of survival. The first battle with the knifehead pretty much was that indication where the kaiju can easily surprise attack and have water as their biggest advantage. They only really did the last battle underwater as a last ditch effort to save themselves and came out lucky. The Kaiju are shown to be far more able,mobile while the Jaegars can't really see much not to mention a hit can be far more devastating underwater.

zeshakag

This thread makes me wonder what would be good reasons to build gigantic robots that audiences can accept.

I think the Iron Giant worked with audiences, but that was for a different genre.

For the giant robot genre, I think the Macross mechs could work as they have the dual benefit of rapid transport and air/ground support(jet mode) and soldier/helper (humanoid mode). I mean, a robot that can carry heavy objects and provide front line duties has many uses.

However Macross mechs are much smaller than their giant robot counterparts, save for the carriers.

Pacific Rim made money, and viewers will generally accept a premise. I think the main problem for people is when the rules set by the premise are broken.

Korey

Then the question is: why didn't the kaijus have more toxic fluid weapons? Like spray that shit everywhere and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom