• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 12, 2008

Psychotext said:
Pretty much... though I wonder if you'll see it appear in Germany.
Of course, GT is huge here. Pretty much the biggest IP apart from footie games I'd recon. We are crazy about cars.

f@luS said:
i dont know, the game has been available for only 2 days...its short
:lol

Lobster

Banned
kottila said:
5 or 6 hours, I'll spare you the angst:

GT5P>>>>>>>>>>>the rest.

don't under estimate the power of M&S.

Also im sure Alkaline is anxious to see Pro Evo and NMH just like myself.

Raist

Banned
This week is going to get quite ugly.

Titles to watch : GT5P, EG5, GoW CoO, MGPO+

Quite a lot of big releases for Sony platforms, we'll see if they chart high.

Phife Dawg said:
Of course, GT is huge here. Pretty much the biggest IP apart from footie games I'd recon. We are crazy about cars.

:lol
Yeah, I was mostly wondering because the charts are usually all DS / Wii games.

Lobster

Banned
Raist said:
This week is going to get quite ugly.

Titles to watch : GT5P, EG5, GoW CoO, MGPO+

Quite a lot of big releases for Sony platforms, we'll see if they chart high.

D:

You forgot Pro Evo Wii!

As much as it would like to see PES Wii selling well and the effort to pay off for Konami, I honestly don't think its going to happen. It had a very, very good marketing push over here, but its actually a missed opportunity to release it half a year after the other console versions (and half a year before PES 2009 for that matter).

Lobster said:
don't under estimate the power of M&S.

Also im sure Alkaline is anxious to see Pro Evo and NMH just like myself.

I certainly am! I'm hoping PES charts top 10 in the UK and that NMH climbs back into the top 40. PES should be in the top 5 for most other countries (hopefully).

As much as it would like to see PES Wii selling well and the effort to pay off for Konami, I honestly don't think its going to happen. It had a very, very good marketing push over here, but its actually a missed opportunity to release it half a year after the other console versions (and half a year before PES 2009 for that matter).

I still think Konami should have scrapped the Wii version's "2008" moniker. But oh well. I guess we'll see the results.

Lobster

Banned
Wollan said:
So it's GT5P vs PES Wii.

Nah..still M&S vs GT5P.

slaughterking said:

I don't really know..

Its Wii+Football+Europe.

I'm thinking it will be a big seller for Wii.

_Alkaline_ said:
I certainly am! I'm hoping PES charts top 10 in the UK and that NMH climbs back into the top 40. PES should be in the top 5 for most other countries (hopefully).

I think NMH should be in the 20s. In the last thread we heard of advertising so that should help.

Lobster said:
Its Wii+Football+Europe.

I'm thinking it will be a big seller for Wii.

It's actually more like: Wii + Football + Europe + Huge departure from trad PES play + Intimidating (even if fantastic) controls + late release = ? It really could go either way, but I think that keeping expectations in check for the title would be a good idea.

I think NMH should be in the 20s. In the last thread we heard of advertising so that should help.

Advertising hit on the opening weekend and carried on sporadically through the next couple of weeks. TBH, I think the TV ads have done about as much as could be expected and movement back up the charts will depend on word of mouth, print reviews (all very positive) etc.

The only thing is that I'm worried NMH was very front-loaded. The hardcore, niche type of game that it is can tend to make titles sell very well opening week (and NMH did) but struggle afterwards. Let's hope that's not the case.

kottila

_Alkaline_ said:
The only thing is that I'm worried NMH was very front-loaded. The hardcore, niche type of game that it is can tend to make titles sell very well opening week (and NMH did) but struggle afterwards. Let's hope that's not the case.

It was already out of the list last week, why would it come back again this week?

Lobster said:
Its marketing push started after the game was released.

But its marketing push - on TV and in the UK, at least - started on the day of release and carried on through the first week, with a few ads popping up last week as well. It didn't have a big pre-launch push, but it's not like the TV marketing only started a week or two after release.

Cosmonaut X said:
It's actually more like: Wii + Football + Europe + Huge departure from trad PES play + Intimidating (even if fantastic) controls + late release = ? It really could go either way, but I think that keeping expectations in check for the title would be a good idea.
Yeah, thats about what I'm thinking. PES fans are admittedly that kind of demoprahic, that is willing to buy a new version of their game each year, but I doubt this applies to a game, that is halfway between the regular releases.
If the message about the new controles isn't clear enough PES fans won't bother with the Wii version. Konami can hope for good word of mouth and long legs or somehow recruit newcomers to the series, though.

RJT

Supposedly, NMH was #41-ish on the chart lask week (it was the first non-charted wii game), so it could easily come back.

Pro Evo Wii has been released too late to be a SERIOUS contender this time around. Most people have bought and been disappointed by PES 2008 on another format already, so my hopes are that it does well enough to guarantee a new edition in October / November.

A refined, slightly improved 2009 Wii PES (preferably with a full edit mode and a non-Master League 'management' mode in addition to Champions Road) would be just glorious.

slaughterking said:
Yeah, thats about what I'm thinking. PES fans are admittedly that kind of demoprahic, that is willing to buy a new version of their game each year, but I doubt this applies to a game, that is halfway between the regular releases.
If the message about the new controles isn't clear enough PES fans won't bother with the Wii version. Konami can hope for good word of mouth and long legs or somehow recruit newcomers to the series, though.

Well, the TV ads have been good - Michael Owen & Ian Wright playing the game, with a great illustration of the control method - and the word-of-mouth is fantastic. However, the majority of the PES audience seems to be quite casual in the sense that they just want a fun yearly footy game that they can dip into, not necessarily anything that shakes things up that much. If the Wii version can't rely on them then it's going to be down to the hardcore PES players and any newcomers - a far smaller audience, IMO.

ColR100

NMH has pretty much bombed in the UK. Hardly any copies have shifted since its first week.

Wii Pro Evo has been flying out though from what I saw last Friday, while GT:p is just a monster. Didn't really notice many copies of GoW selling though.

Will be an interesting week of sales for sure.

ColR100 said:
NMH has pretty much bombed in the UK. Hardly any copies have shifted since its first week.

Wii Pro Evo has been flying out though from what I saw last Friday, while GT:p is just a monster. Didn't really notice many copies of GoW selling though.

GT5: P will do great in shops, partially thanks to Sony charging £24.99 for it on PSN when it's £19.99 in most physical retailers. I had to laugh when I went on PSN to check the price (I might have been interested had the download version come in at under £15). :lol

ColR100 said:

Is this anecdotal reporting?

Haha, I thought you said GT5P and for a second i was like "why the hell is Harry Potter number 1?" :lol

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, the TV ads have been good - Michael Owen & Ian Wright playing the game, with a great illustration of the control method
Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I'm not entirely sure, but I think our german spots don't feature any football celebrities and theres not much emphasis on the controls either. :/

test_account

XP-39C²
cjelly said:
'practically sold out at almost all the online retailers.'

So it's not sold out, then? :lol

Its probly not sold out everywhere, but he didnt say it was sold out either. I'd say that practically sold out is when a store i.e takes in 100 copies of a game and there is maybe 5 copies left. Even if it isnt complete sold out it doesnt mean that the game wont sell well though.

ColR100 said:
Yes, it is. Well just my impressions from Fridays launch day here in the UK.

Oh ok. Out of interest, do you work at a game's store?

slaughterking said:
Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I'm not entirely sure, but I think our german spots don't feature any football celebrities and theres not much emphasis on the controls either. :/

Well that's stupid.

It's not like the graphics are the big pull of the game. :lol

ColR100

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh ok. Out of interest, do you work at a game's store?
Yep at the mo..........quite depressing I tell ya. :lol Although that just might be that retail work fucks me right off.

ColR100 said:
Yep at the mo..........quite depressing I tell ya. :lol Although that just might be that retail work fucks me right off.

That's pretty cool!

I think it would be great if you gave us some anecdotal reports about the sales of UK games, like you did in this thread. Like, kinda made it a regular feature of these threads. It's always interesting as it kinda gives us a preview to what we might see when the charts ultimately come out. :)

I know this is OT (well, kinda), but does anyone know what happened to the "US Retail Musings" threads that Altered Beast used to make? I enjoyed them.

mabuza

Banned
i actually did enjoy working at game. it was fun to be surrounded by coworkers as passionate about games as me. obviously you wouldn't wanna be there forever but my time there was fun.

ColR100

_Alkaline_ said:
That's pretty cool!

I think it would be great if you gave us some anecdotal reports about the sales of UK games, like you did in this thread. Like, kinda made it a regular feature of these threads. It's always interesting as it kinda gives us a preview to what we might see when the charts ultimately come out. :)

I know this is OT (well, kinda), but does anyone know what happened to the "US Retail Musings" threads that Altered Beast used to make? I enjoyed them.
If I have the time each Monday then I'll try to remember to post up what people have been buying up over the weekend, but I'm sure there are also quite a few people who could do the same. And yes, in a preview sort of way it's always interesting and a point of discussion before the charts do get released.

No idea about the US Retail Musings thread, but I sometimes see it on the first page. I remember someone who worked in GameStation did a similar thing for UK retail as well not long ago.

ColR100 said:
If I have the time each Monday then I'll try to remember to post up what people have been buying up over the weekend, but I'm sure there are also quite a few people who could do the same. And yes, in a preview sort of way it's always interesting and a point of discussion before the charts do get released.

No idea about the US Retail Musings thread, but I sometimes see it on the first page. I remember someone who worked in GameStation did a similar thing for UK retail as well not long ago.

Thanks man, that would be great! We all really do appreciate stuff like that!

Italy January 08:
PS3: 40.500
360: 21.500
Wii: 10.500
DS: 70.500
PS2: 64.500
PSP: 43.000

Italy LTD till end of Jan. 08:
PS2: 5.260.000
DS: 1.890.000
PSP: 1.035.500
PS3: 398.000
360: 352.500
Wii: 283.500

Europe & Australia/NZ:
United Kingdom:
Wii: 2.000.000 [till end of Dec. 07]
360: 1.550.000 [till end of Sep. 07]
PS3: 754.000 [till end of Dec. 07]
France till end of March 08:
Wii: 1.470.000
PS3: 630.000
360: 610.000
Germany till end of Dec. 07:
Wii: 728.000
360: 384.000
PS3: 308.000
Spain till end of Dec. 07:
Wii: 660.000
PS3: 410.000
360: 225.000
Italy till end of Jan. 08:
PS3: 398.000
360: 352.500
Wii: 283.500
Norway till end of Dec. 07:
Wii: 57.000
PS3: 57.000
360: 45.000
Austria till end of Nov. 07:
360: 47.000
Wii: 40.000
PS3: 34.000
Switzerland:
Wii: 100.000 [till end of Dec. 07]
PS3: 20.000 [till 04/08/07]
360: ??.???
Benelux till end of Aug. 07:
PS3: 100.000
Wii: ???.???
360: ???.???
Portugal till end of Nov. 07:
PS3: 30.000
Wii: 8.000 - 12.000
360: 7.000 - 10.000
Total:
Wii: 5.350.500
360: 3.188.500
PS3: 2.741.000
Sources: GfK, Media Control, ChartTrack, AC Nielsen, Screen Digest, NG&MA, SONY, Nintendo, "Heute".

Australia:
360: 303.000 [till 01/13/2008]
Wii: 293.990 [till end of Dec. 07]
PS3: 155.000 [till end of Dec. 07]
New Zealand:
360: 50.000 [till 03/23/08]
PS3: 20.857 [till end of Dec. 07]
Wii: 5.996 [till end of March 07]
Total:
360: 253.000
Wii: 299.986
PS3: 175.857
Sources: GfK

Whoa, awesome stats Captain.

Pretty much Wii domination throughout, with exceptions being most notably Portugal, New Zealand and Italy.

I think there was a press release recently that stated Wii has now overtaken 360 in Australia.

RJT

Representing Portugal Wii love!

Honestly, I don't believe Xbox 360 is even close to wii at this point here. I know a lot of people with a wii or ps3 (at least 5 each), but no one with a 360. Obviously a non representative report, but still, wii has been quite successful for what used to be exclusively Sonyland. I honestly never even saw a Gamecube...

I wonder how many copies of PES Wii Konami shipped. In the states, it is hard to find in stores, but considering that the UK (and the rest of Europe) is football/Wii land, I would imagine that Konami would ship a decent amount of copies to fulfill any sort of demand. I won't be surprised if PES charts lower than expected due to a smaller shipment than say, GT5 Prologue.

_Alkaline_ said:
Whoa, awesome stats Captain.

Pretty much Wii domination throughout, with exceptions being most notably Portugal, New Zealand and Italy.

I think there was a press release recently that stated Wii has now overtaken 360 in Australia.
Yes. ^^

The Wii is going to be the best selling Nintendo system in Europe. :D

Shipped units to EU/AU:
SNES: 8.580.000
NES: 8.560.000
N64: 6.750.000
Wii: 6.300.000
GCN: 4.760.000

Already 6.300.000 shipped units, I wonder how many units the Wii will manage till the end of the Gen. :)

Kenka

Captain Smoker said:
Yes. ^^

The Wii is going to be the best selling Nintendo system in Europe. :D

Already 6.300.000 shipped units, I wonder how many units the Wii will manage till the end of the Gen. :)

According to these numbers, Europe expanded its market to US-levels with the PlayStation brand. Not before. Now I know why we didn't get fabulous RPGs at that time :(

Top Bottom