• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 12, 2008

Raist

Banned
Weighted Charts (in percentages), Week 12 2008

rs79cn.png

Raist

Banned
Zzoram said:
The black piece of the German pie should be enormous, not invisible.

PC charts are seperated from console charts, so that wouldn't work infortunately.
The only other source for german charts that I have and that mixes consoles and PC titles is supposedly not really reliable.
For some other countries I also doubt they're charting handheld games. Like sweden, for instance.

Raist

Banned
felipeko said:
Well done!

Would be good if we had an estimation for the "weight" of every country.. than you could do a total...

Been looking for this for a while. The only thing that I could find is this

chartvideo7.jpg

That's quite old and not very informative :/

Oh well, it probably galloped away in other nations. If the public is aware of the price drop, because I read on GAF that the public's lack of awareness might be at the root of the problem.

iceatcs

cjelly said:
What games are these new PS3 owners buying?
According to this thread's chart.
Look like many new owners bought Vegas 2, Resistance (bundle pack?), Call Of Duty 4 or/and Assassin's Creed.

f@luS

More than a member.
so where is the difference? few exclu, and the system itself. Durability, silence, free online, may pay in the end. (oh yeah , BR too :D)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
f@luS said:
so where is the difference? few exclu, and the system itself. Durability, silence, free online, may pay in the end. (oh yeah , BR too :D)
I am not talking about the systems themselves.

If it were not for the Wii, this generation would be completely stale, as instead of 2 consoles after the same target market, we'd have 3 consoles after the same target market, all selling the exact same games.

Elios83

Umm I overstimated the response to the 360 price cut.
With the 360 at 199€ as the lowest price I would have never expected it to continue to lag behind PS3 in UK sales and that's even before the GT5 Prologue bundle. When MS announced the price cut I said SCEE was overconfindent if they didn't react to such a price cut....well... it seems they were right.

Sandman7

AltogetherAndrews said:
Oh well, it probably galloped away in other nations. If the public is aware of the price drop, because I read on GAF that the public's lack of awareness might be at the root of the problem.

:lol

You really are going to rub it in aren't you?

Rolf NB

Luckyman said:
If PS3 drops to 299€ sometime this year.. it´s over.
I actuallly expect the next steps to be smaller. 50€ish. Teaching the unwashed masses that the next pricedrop, whenever it comes, is going to mean hugulous savings isn't good business practice. People need to have the feeling that the money they spend extra by not waiting is worth spending (because they've spent more quality time with the console in the end). 100€ steps are shit if you want that mentality to settle in.

Luckyman said:
If PS3 drops to 299€ sometime this year.. it´s over.
What is over? The battle for second place? Speaking on a european level that is already over and was over before (simply because 360 failed to sell significant amounts even before PS3 launched). Just focusing on UK it'll eventually happen, new price drop this year or not.

Personally I'd rather see the re-introduction of BC at the current price point, but I don't have high hopes for that.

Raist

Banned
87m2hiv.png

France :
Week 10, 2008http://www.gamekult.com/blog/marchi...u+9+mars+2008+Le+bonnet+d+ane+pour+Bully.html

01 (01) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
02 (12) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
03 (04) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
04 (__) [360] Army of Two (Electronic Arts)
05 (02) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
06 (__) [PS3] Army of Two (Electronic Arts)
07 (05) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
08 (03) [PSP] PES 2008 (Konami)
09 (06) [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
10 (10) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
11 (09) [NDS] Imagine Babies (Ubisoft)
12 (13) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
13 (14) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
14 (08) [WII] DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Namco Bandai)
15 (15) [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
16 (11) [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
17 (17) [WII] Big Brain Academy : Wii Degree (Nintendo)
18 (18) [NDS] Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
19 (07) [360] Lost Odyssey (Microsoft)
20 (19) [WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Ubisoft)

NDS=8
WII=7
PS3=2
360=2
PSP=1

Things of note :
- Bully (WII/360) bomba total
- After 16 weeks, SMG finally drops from the Top 5.
- Big drop for LO. Expected.
- Army of Two 360 > PS3. Surprising.

Out of the top this week :
- Bleach: Shattered Balde (WII, was #16)
- Devil May Cry 4 (PS3, was #20)

70dtu0.png

Aaaand done. See you next week :p

Kenka

Raist said:
87m2hiv.png

France :
Week 10, 2008http://www.gamekult.com/blog/marchi...u+9+mars+2008+Le+bonnet+d+ane+pour+Bully.html

01 (01) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
02 (12) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
03 (04) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
04 (__) [360] Army of Two (Electronic Arts)
05 (02) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
06 (__) [PS3] Army of Two (Electronic Arts)
07 (05) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
08 (03) [PSP] PES 2008 (Konami)
09 (06) [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
10 (10) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
11 (09) [NDS] Imagine Babies (Ubisoft)
12 (13) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
13 (14) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
14 (08) [WII] DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Namco Bandai)
15 (15) [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
16 (11) [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
17 (17) [WII] Big Brain Academy : Wii Degree (Nintendo)
18 (18) [NDS] Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
19 (07) [360] Lost Odyssey (Microsoft)
20 (19) [WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Ubisoft)

Aaaand done. See you next week :p

This is quite a big recovery for M&S Wii. France was affected by short supply as well ?

Opiate

I have a question: would anyone here be willing to put together a weighted total for the EU across all regions? This would be an imperfect calculation without question, but as a general indicator, it could be useful.

We'd have to decide on values for every country, but the general idea would be UK + Germany (=1/2 UK) + France (=1/3 UK) + Spain (=1/3 UK) with perhaps a few smaller countries put in there. This could give us a general idea how the market looks across Europe in total.

Is that too nebulous a calculation to be worth GAF's time? Because obviously it wouldn't be an exact science. Personally, I'd very much appreciate it as a general indicator of Europe overall, although I understand the aversion to any math that isn't precise.

Raist

Banned
Opiate said:
I have a question: would anyone here be willing to put together a weighted total for the EU across all regions? This would be an imperfect calculation without question, but as a general indicator, it could be useful.

We'd have to decide on values for every country, but the general idea would be UK + Germany (=1/2 UK) + France (=1/3 UK) + Spain (=1/3 UK) with perhaps a few smaller countries put in there. This could give us a general idea how the market looks across Europe in total.

Is that too nebulous a calculation to be worth GAF's time? Because obviously it wouldn't be an exact science. Personally, I'd very much appreciate it as a general indicator of Europe overall, although I understand the aversion to any math that isn't precise.

Well, there are a few problems.

First, for some countries we have only access to All Formats charts (Ireland, Denmark, Norway and Finland).
And second, it's quite hard to figure out the real weights of each countries across PAL land (europe + oceania).
I have recent data indicating that france is twice bigger than spain for instance, but I have yet to find recent data on the other european countries markets. It's quite puzzling how hard it is to find such simple information : just the global revenues generated by hardware+software.
If anyone wishes to help, he's welcome. I'd like to get 2007 data, or at least, 2006.

Opiate

Thanks Raist. I've been hunting around too, and one of the reasons I asked for help was because I was running into the same roadblocks finding data that you apparently are. I assumed this was my naivete (I've only been interested in gathering this data for a few weeks now), but it sounds like it's a more general problem.

If I find anything, I'll let you know -- but now that you mention it, it sounds like any statistical model we put up would be obsolete by the time we finished it, as fluctuations of one country's economy up and another country's down could immediately and significantly affect their overall-European-consumer market share.

Raist

Banned
Opiate said:
Thanks Raist. I've been hunting around too, and one of the reasons I asked for help was because I was running into the same roadblocks finding data that you apparently are. I assumed this was my naivete (I've only been interested in gathering this data for a few weeks now), but it sounds like it's a more general problem.

If I find anything, I'll let you know -- but now that you mention it, it sounds like any statistical model we put up would be obsolete by the time we finished it, as fluctuations of one country's economy up and another country's down could immediately and significantly affect their overall-European-consumer market share.

Yeah, it's quite impossible to find this stuff :/

On another note, went to my favorite stores today, GT5P is absolutely sold out everywhere, Condemned 2 is already out (thought it would be released next week) and it looks like it doesn't really sell well, and some PS3 games have seen their price drop. Motorstorm, HS, RFoM etc. 40€

Top Bottom