• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 40, 2017

NHale

Let's forget people are waiting on the X to drop for Forza

But is it a beast or is it not a beast? Because you first started claiming that Forzas were a beast and now you are just going into the pool of excuses.

Also I'm sure there are at least 70K people waiting for the Xbox One X and Forza 7 at launch in the UK. Clearly this is it. Maybe that and better weather because of the heat wave last week am I right?

Not Drake

Let's forget people are waiting on the X to drop for Forza

Did any of the games last year saw a resurgence in sales after a PS4 Pro Launch? The comment is not necessarily aimed at you gamz, but I guess it might give us a clue if we can expect a bump for Forza 7 after X launch.

EDIT: Just got back to weeks 45 and 46 of last year's PAL charts and it seems there's nothing that got a boost caused by PS4 Pro. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Styles

Isn't it 2 platforms?

don't mind them

they are still fuming because MHW isn't coming to the Nintendo Switch and are lashing out at other Capcom releases

6vSpzOH.gif

But is it a beast or is it not a beast? Because you first started claiming that Forzas were a beast and now you are just going into the pool of excuses.

Also I'm sure there are at least 70K people waiting for the Xbox One X and Forza 7 at launch in the UK. Clearly this is it. Maybe that and better weather because of the heat wave last week am I right?

He's a wind up merchant

Gran Turismo - 44,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 115,000
Gran Turismo 3 - 74,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 253,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 108,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 269,000
Gran Turismo 6 - 55,000

Thanks a bunch. Thats one hell of a drop for GT6. GTS should be doing 250k+ but there's no way thats happening. I'm guessing 150k.

don't mind them

they are still fuming that MHW isn't coming to the Nintendo Switch and are lashing out at other Capcom releases

6vSpzOH.gif

"They", "them".

Come on now what's with this us v them? It's video games, where were you last couple of weeks when Capcom was completely obliterated by everyone here over MvCI, I guess they were all salty Nintendo fans? Or weren't they? How do you tell the difference? What are the rules?

But seriously this is dumb, both the original comment and your response.

gamz

I didn't claim it wasn't by my comment. I'm just saying people are also waiting for the X because of Forza being tied to it. I also feel in these charts digital is a thing and since the chart doesn't account for it we don't get the full story.

MisterR

I didn't claim it wasn't by my comment. I'm just saying people are also waiting for the X because of Forza being tied to it. I also feel in these charts digital is a thing and since the chart doesn't account for it we don't get the full story.

You're just trying to throw every old excuse in the book at it to try and sell Forza 7 as a huge success. Less than 30k is a disappointing result. No getting around it.

gamz

You're just trying to throw every old excuse in the book at it to try and sell Forza 7 as a huge success. Less than 30k is a disappointing result. No getting around it.

I'm just saying there's digital and a new console closely tied to it. I wouldn't discount it.

NHale

So what you are saying is that there are 70K people in the UK, that didn't get Forza 7 at launch because of the Xbox One X launch and digital sales (which are definitely high considering the retail price is £10 cheaper than the digital copy). Seems believable. Btw what are you expecting the beast monster Xbox One X to do at launch in the UK? 600K in 1 day? More?

Doesn't help that they release one every year, either Horizon or a Motorsport. Fatigue will set in eventually. Would love Turn 10 to try something different at some point, like PGR maybe.

Finally some sense...

Fatigue kicks in to all IPs. There are multiple reasons why GTA games always sell gangbusters besides their quality. GTA launches are events because they only happen every 4/5 years, so people are always hyped for the new one and get that game because they know they aren't getting another for a while.

Assassin's Creed was selling gangbusters until they turned it into a yearly franchise. Call of Duty is starting to suffer from the fatigue (besides the failed advanced movement switch), F1 games sold really well for the first couple of years under Codemasters but now they sell around 1/10th of what they did back then.

The only games built to last in a yearly franchise are sim sports games because they follow the actual real life changes in the actual sports year by year. A new roster is enticing and a new season always make people hyped for the real thing and by extension also towards the new game. Racing games especially real sims and lite console sims are just not the genre that are built towards having a game being released every 2 years for the same IP unless you want serious fatigue to kick in because stuff doesn't change that much that require you to buy a new game, that genre would be better served if they just release 1 game per generation and kept improving and adding (cars and tracks) to the game as GAAS ala Rainbow 6 Siege.

MisterR

I'm just saying there's digital and a new console closely tied to it. I wouldn't discount it.

There is digital for every game, and I'm guessing you can count in the low hundreds the number of people who haven't bought an Xbox One for the last 3-4 years, but are just sitting around waiting to buy a very high priced version of it and a copy of Forza 7. Most Xbox One X buyers most likely are upgrading from a One S. No reason for them to not go ahead and buy the game now.

GT is going to kill it, for better or worse. I reckon 150K. Not as big as it once was, but GT6 was just kind of dropped on a platform on its way out. PS4 owners are hungry for a racer, and GT is still a big name.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Don't really care, honestly, since I won't be buying the game. But I am looking forward to the Forza vs GT shit fight!

NHale

I'd say 150k is a pretty good guess. First GT on a PS system always sells well. This is the first PS4 GT. GT6 came out way too late when people had already moved on from the PS3.

Week 1? No fucking way.

The game is going to get ravaged by reviews and even if popular sim racing streamers are loving the game, it isn't going to get the traction at release as some other games because it's not a traditional Gran Turismo game.

Also racing games are not selling like hotcakes anymore so if they do better than 100K it would be a massive success. I'm betting 75k in the UK at launch. Game will definitely do better on other european countries though.

MisterR

Week 1? No fucking way.

The game is going to get ravaged by reviews and even if popular sim racing streamers are loving the game, it isn't going to get the traction at release as some other games because it's not a traditional Gran Turismo game.

Also racing games are not selling like hotcakes anymore so if they do better than 100K it would be a massive success. I'm betting 75k in the UK at launch. Game will definitely do better on other european countries though.

We'll see.

There seems to be not that much hype about GT Sport and to be some confusion over what the game actually is since it's not called GT7.

I'll be interested to see how it does.

GT is going to kill it, for better or worse. I reckon 150K. Not as big as it once was, but GT6 was just kind of dropped on a platform on its way out. PS4 owners are hungry for a racer, and GT is still a big name.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Don't really care, honestly, since I won't be buying the game. But I am looking forward to the Forza vs GT shit fight!

I can't imagine anything worse! The Face Off thread would give you ulcers if you spent too long in it.

The willy waving and general insecurities on show when Forza and GT 'enthusiasts' come together is one of the most pathetic things I've seem on this board.

gamz

Week 1? No fucking way.

What's the reason that sim racer's arent selling as previously? I'm generally curious? Same ole, same ole?

Dinjooh

Week 1? No fucking way.

I don't think this will change much tbh during the first week. At least the GT fans I know are buying the console for this game and they couldn't give a shit how it reviews.

gtj1092

"They", "them".

Come on now what's with this us v them? It's video games, where were you last couple of weeks when Capcom was completely obliterated by everyone here over MvCI, I guess they were all salty Nintendo fans? Or weren't they? How do you tell the difference? What are the rules?

But seriously this is dumb, both the original comment and your response.

Yes a majority of them were Nintendo fans.

Chobel

No way GTS does 150K first week, heck I don't think it will do 100k. The lackluster launch content and the lack of traditional campaign mode will hamper GTS sales potential significantly.

So what you are saying is that there are 70K people in the UK, that didn't get Forza 7 at launch because of the Xbox One X launch and digital sales (which are definitely high considering the retail price is £10 cheaper than the digital copy). Seems believable. Btw what are you expecting the beast monster Xbox One X to do at launch in the UK? 600K in 1 day? More?

Finally some sense...

Fatigue kicks in to all IPs. There are multiple reasons why GTA games always sell gangbusters besides their quality. GTA launches are events because they only happen every 4/5 years, so people are always hyped for the new one and get that game because they know they aren't getting another for a while.

Assassin's Creed was selling gangbusters until they turned it into a yearly franchise. Call of Duty is starting to suffer from the fatigue (besides the failed advanced movement switch), F1 games sold really well for the first couple of years under Codemasters but now they sell around 1/10th of what they did back then.

The only games built to last in a yearly franchise are sim sports games because they follow the actual real life changes in the actual sports year by year. A new roster is enticing and a new season always make people hyped for the real thing and by extension also towards the new game. Racing games especially real sims and lite console sims are just not the genre that are built towards having a game being released every 2 years for the same IP unless you want serious fatigue to kick in because stuff doesn't change that much that require you to buy a new game, that genre would be better served if they just release 1 game per generation and kept improving and adding (cars and tracks) to the game as GAAS ala Rainbow 6 Siege.

Agreed, I dislike the sequel factory mentality MS has with first party. It's the only thing I don't like about them and Xbox, I like a lot of the other stuff they do.

NHale

What's the reason that sim racer's arent selling as previously? I'm generally curious? Same ole, same ole?

More competition from other racing games on the PC especially geared towards hardcore sim games, the release of games with modes and systems designed to keep you playing for years (Destiny, Overwatch, Rainbow 6 Siege, Call of Duty, FIFA, NBA 2K, etc.) and also people getting fatigued by the same IPs being released time and time again. Even Activision stopped numbering Call of Duty titles and are now numbering subtitles, because they know even the name followed by higher number can get people fatigued just because of the meaningless number.

There gets to a point where people start to wonder why they are playing the Fiat 500 Abarth 3 lap race around Barcelona for the 10th different time against AI just so they get credits to unlock the same car they unlocked in previous games. Of course new features get introduced in new games like rain, dynamic weather, day and night cycle, but it gets to a point where the core experience is so similar, that you start to question yourself, "Why I'm getting a new iteration of the same racing game IP while you could be playing the game I already play and own aka Destiny/Overwatch/PUBG instead?".

In the "old" days, racing games were the games people got to get them replay value, because multiplayer wasn't a popular thing outside of PC and most games were single player campaigns without any meaningful replay value. Now almost every game is built to give you that replay value and keep you logging in every day. Racing games can still be a factor and have a big userbase, but they need to adapt to the new reality imho. Arcade racers like Forza Horizon, Driveclub, Need for Speed, The Crew are the only ones that should have more than 1 release in a single generation from now on.

ethomaz

Banned
Forza 7 being down compared with Forza 6 was a bit expected.

- Some Forza fans moved to Horizon spin-off (Forza Horizon will be the top seller Forza game this gen)
- General sales in UK are below last year.
- Forza has too many releases... one per year making some guys skip some of them like it happens with FIFA that has bigger sales each 2 years.
- The game received some critics due microtransations and loot box progression... even the VIP pass was not well received.

GTS the opposite looks to be selling way more than GT6 (that had a bad launch due bad timing release after PS4 launch on PS3 lol)... the demo looks to be stunning and a big selling point... fans are starving for a GT game since last gen.

Wiped89

Maybe do one Motorsport per gen and make Horizon series annually.

I do think there are too many Forza releases. I only bought an Xbox One S last year and as a huge fan of racing games I was trying to decide whether to get Forza 5 or skip straight to 6, and then I heard 7 was coming and didn't buy either. And I still haven't picked up 7.

No way GTS does 150K first week, heck I don't think it will do 100k. The lackluster launch content and the lack of traditional campaign mode will hamper GTS sales potential significantly.

GT will sell gangbusters in the UK, the casual audience (the vast majority) won't even know about the lack of content or the focus online. TV spots are happening already and PlayStation owners have been waiting on a new GT since forever equals big frontloaded numbers.

Week 1? No fucking way.

Reviews not going to effect this game much .
If fact the demo going to have much bigger effect than any reviews .
Also with with this GT being more GaaS than ever WOM going matter much more than reviews .

I mean, that was a decade ago so things might have changed since.

A decade ago people were saying that a demo \ GT5 Prologue not going to sell .
It went on to sell 5 million .
Chances are this going to be the only GT on PS4 it will sell over time.

Forza Motorsport 7 is below 30,000 units.
The Motorsport series has always been less popular than Horizon series, but the fatigue is really kicking in now. GT Sport may not be launching in the best shape, but it does have the benefit of being the first GT on PS4. I think that will help its launch to some degree.

Gran Turismo - 44,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 115,000
Gran Turismo 3 - 74,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 253,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 108,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 269,000
Gran Turismo 6 - 55,000
I think GTS will land between GT3 and GT6. I would consider 100K+ to be pretty good considering where it was with GT6.

After GTS launches, it would be nice to see the debut numbers for all the racing games this gen.

Plum

Fuck that port, seriously. 30fps for this game that runs on a toaster at 1080p and 60fps.

Capcom's incompetence strikes again. That's a lost sale for me, I really can't justify buying a last-gen game again if it doesn't at least include a bump in framerate.

Chobel

GT will sell gangbusters in the UK, the casual audience (the vast majority) won't even know about the lack of content or the focus online. TV spots are happening already and PlayStation owners have been waiting on a new GT since forever equals big frontloaded numbers.

People said the same about SFV, and look what what happened when it was actually released.

"PlayStation owners have been waiting on a new GT"

Nah, I believe GT is nowhere as popular as it was in previous gen, mostly because GT6 happened. Like we've seen multiple times recently, all what's needed is one underwhelming entry to ruin a franchise (Halo, Gears, Assassin's Creed, Watch dogs...)

Kyoufu

Capcom's incompetence strikes again. That's a lost sale for me, I really can't justify buying a last-gen game again if it doesn't at least include a bump in framerate.

It runs at double the frame rate of the PS3 version.

15fps to 30fps

People said the same about SFV, and look what what happened when it was actually released.

"PlayStation owners have been waiting on a new GT"

Nah, I believe GT is nowhere as popular as it was in previous gen, mostly because GT6 happened. Like we've seen multiple times recently, all what's needed is one underwhelming entry to ruin a franchise (Halo, Gears, Assassin's Creed, Watch dogs...)
I could see it going either way. I wouldn't be surprised by poor performance (racers becoming less and less relevant) or good performance (the brand outweighing issues with the game and the state of racers on the market).

MisterR

The Motorsport series has always been less popular than Horizon series, but the fatigue is really kicking in now. GT Sport may not be launching in the best shape, but it does have the benefit of being the first GT on PS4. I think that will help its launch to some degree.

I think GTS will land between GT3 and GT6. I would consider 100K+ to be pretty good considering where it was with GT6.

After GTS launches, it would be nice to see the debut numbers for all the racing games this gen.

GT6 was released on PS3, after PS4 had launched, trying to base GTS sales on GT6 is foolish in my opinion. If you'll notice anything from that chart, the first iteration of GT on a PS console sales extremely well, with a big drop on the second release.

Top Bottom