• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 41, 2013

Hmm.. I doubt that Beyond will reach Heavy Rain numbers.. which is quite surprising, considering that Heavy Rain was an exclusive, new IP from an unknown studio to an unpopular genre.

Beyond Two souls had at least more marketing, known actors and the success of Heavy Rain helping it. So, how come it is (presumably) selling less than HR?

Not as hyped, mixed reviews, GTAV, more competitive time of year, Heavy Rain came out at the height of those mystery/adventure games, I thought Heavy Rain had more/better marketing personally, people moving away from current gen saving for next.

Would all be my guesses.

Well, to be fair, Heavy Rain came out during a relatively quiet month, and got great reviews. Beyond is coming out at the busiest time of year (even launching the same week as Pokemon), and is get a middling response critically.

Agreed. Consumers are also much more risk averse now than they were in 2010. GTA, FIFA and Pokemon are safe bets. Beyond is a gamble for the average punter

QaaQer

Hmm.. I doubt that Beyond will reach Heavy Rain numbers.. which is quite surprising, considering that Heavy Rain was an exclusive, new IP from an unknown studio to an unpopular genre.

Beyond Two souls had at least more marketing, known actors and the success of Heavy Rain helping it. So, how come it is (presumably) selling less than HR?

A few reasons, the main one being the lack of gameplay. Say what you want about QTEs, but it is an actual gameplay mechanic and there were consequences to failure. HR had a really depressing ending for QTE-impared players.

From what I understand there is no real consequence with BTS because you cannot fail at the 'gameplay'. I put gameplay in quotes because it boils down to moving the joystick occasionally. someone please correct me if I'm wrong

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there any reason why Black 2 and White 2 sold so much less in the first week compared to X and Y? I know about new Pokemon generation and that stuff, and it is the first main Pokemon game for the 3DS, but its surprising to me to see how many Pokemon fans who skipped out on Black 2 and White 2 in the launch week compared to X an Y.

Is there any reason why Black 2 and White 2 sold so much less in the first week compared to X and Y? I know about new Pokemon generation and that stuff, and it is the first main Pokemon game for the 3DS, but its surprising to me to see how many Pokemon fans who skipped out on Black 2 and White 2 in the launch week compared to X an Y.

the DS was pretty dead at the time

Principate

Saint Titanfall

3rd entries in pokemon seris always sell a lot less seen throough the franchise. B2 and W2 was essentially the the third entry. Same with a lot of series with mainlines and etc entries FF etc. Comparitiely to other third entires it actually did very well.

From what I understand there is no real consequence with BTS because you cannot fail at the 'gameplay'. I put gameplay in quotes because it boils down to moving the joystick occasionally. someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Not completely wrong as the "QTE" stuff (Though the way a lot of it works isn't quite standard QTE fare) does make up a large portion of the game, but that's far from all there is to it, as it does have a lot of explorative gameplay as well and also a significant amount of branching elements throughout.

It is far too forgiving for 'failure' though, sadly. That much is right.

Compared to other recent niche games, Dragon's Crown opening (PS3 version) looks disappointing.

A bit, yeah. Compares pretty favourably to to other Vanillaware games though... for what that's worth.

fvng

That David cage hate

Raonak

Banned

Middiling reviews, end of currentgen-so gamers saving up for next and most importantly, launching near juggernauts- Fifa, GTAV and pokemon.

They'd probably already played Black and White. BW2 was a sequel, but it still reused assets, game world, and mechanics directly from BW2. It was more effort than Yellow/Emerald/Platinum, but not a whole lot.

Damn, some pretty embarrassing posts in this thread.
People actually comparing HR and Beyond sales based on chart position alone is also funny. It probably did sell less but that's not how it works.

Peff

Damn, some pretty embarrassing posts in this thread.
People actually comparing HR and Beyond sales based on chart position alone is also funny. It probably did sell less but that's not how it works.

Make that embarrassing posts+1, there's no "probably" about it since we have numbers.

Make that embarrassing posts+1, there's no "probably" about it since we have numbers.

I'm saying that you can't draw that conclusion from chart position. The numbers do confirm it though, hadn't seen the relevant posts yet, that's Why I wasn't stating it as a fact.

Just Dance players more important to the Nintendo ecosystem than Zelda fans.

Wonder how long Pokemon can hang in there. The £99 2DS in Tesco is going to be a big mover for children not on the tablet train.
Agreed. Consumers are also much more risk averse now than they were in 2010. GTA, FIFA and Pokemon are safe bets. Beyond is a gamble for the average punter
Can quantify that? I mean consumer debt levels is rising recently, which indicates that they are more confident to spend. Not sure if the help to buy house thing affects this, though. I do think it is a crowded period but I'm not sure consumers are risk averse.

L~A

That's pretty cool, but the lack of sales number really is infuriating. Seriously, it's just annoying how Media Create is pretty much the only tracker giving weekly sales data for both software AND hardware. This is why I generally don't bother with UK/US/EU charts, even though I love sales data.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Wonder how long Pokemon can hang in there. The £99 2DS in Tesco is going to be a big mover for children not on the tablet train.

FYI, Amazon just matched Tesco's price for the white 2DS. Not for the black one, now at 131 pounds since Amazon finished its stock and they're selling it through third parties.

Can quantify that? I mean consumer debt levels is rising recently, which indicates that they are more confident to spend. Not sure if the help to buy house thing affects this, though. I do think it is a crowded period but I'm not sure consumers are risk averse.

End of generation fatigue. BTS should have been a launch PS4 title or cross gen at least. The people Sony were targeting with this title (hardcore gamers) are all saving their pennies for a PS4 and £40 on a game which has middling reviews (though I think it's great personally) just 6 weeks out from a new generation start is probably too big of an ask.

BTS, TLoU and GT6 should all get PS4 ports IMO, that would give them a good chance of charting again and getting business from people who have gone next gen exclusive for all games except GTA5.

Nice to see David Cage's hack writing get the sales they deserve, although I'm guessing it was just a bad time to launch the game this close to next gen

Zalman

They'd probably already played Black and White. BW2 was a sequel, but it still reused assets, game world, and mechanics directly from BW2. It was more effort than Yellow/Emerald/Platinum, but not a whole lot.
BW2 was a completely different game than the first though, unlike previous "third versions." Those were the same thing with a few tweaks. They just never sell as much as the first games do. Look at the Platinum numbers for instance.

test_account

XP-39C²
the DS was pretty dead at the time
That is true, but most of the people probably still had their DS, and it could be played on the 3DS as well :) But the DS being phased out might have been some reason yeah, i can see that.

3rd entries in pokemon seris always sell a lot less seen throough the franchise. B2 and W2 was essentially the the third entry. Same with a lot of series with mainlines and etc entries FF etc. Comparitiely to other third entires it actually did very well.
I see, so those Pokemon games (like Black 2 and White 2) are not fully new games, but more of an upgrade of the older games?

Nice to see David Cage's hack writing get the sales they deserve, although I'm guessing it was just a bad time to launch the game this close to next gen
What is wrong with the writing in Beyond? (i havnt played it).

It's less than that...

That's even worse, I thought 37k, while not great and pretty depressing, wasn't too bad considering the competition, but less than 37k is just heartbreaking and will undoubtedly be much, much lower than expectations. Sony put on a fantastic ad campaign for it, guess it just didn't resonate with the wider fanbase...

He's not the best writer, but come on...that's just needlessly mean.

There was some decent marketing for Beyond in the UK right? If the game underperforms globally I wonder if that will change sony's approach towards QD's next game. Will they pressure the studio to move away from this format and towards something more convential? Beyond obviously had a pretty big budget, having a game like this flop hard isn't something that can be ignored.

There was some decent marketing for Beyond in the UK right? If the game underperforms globally I wonder if that will change sony's approach towards QD's next game. Will they pressure the studio to move away from this format and towards something more convential? Beyond obviously had a pretty big budget, having a game like this flop hard isn't something that can be ignored.

It would be pretty hard for the game to not break even.

If I recall correctly Quantic Dream's mocap studio is used in film production as well, as an additional revenue stream - so I don't think this bombaing is going to affect their solvency or anything.
He's not the best writer, but come on...that's just needlessly mean.
From what I've been told me the story is a mess in this.

It's strange. Hire Hollywood acting talent. Forgo Hollywood screenwriting talent. Although, I suppose this is all part of David Cage's not-so-secret aspirations to be part of Hollywood/make film.

I imagine though if this is less commercially successful de Fondaumière, who seems to control the purse strings will be seriously contemplating proper writers next time.

Hellraider

Pokemon didnt beat GTA? Maybe there was a heatwave in the UK?

Dunno about the UK, but here in Greece it's pretty damn hot these past couple of days.I am sure this will be the reason PES will top the charts for October instead of pokemon.

If I recall correctly Quantic Dream's mocap studio is used in film production as well, as an additional revenue stream - so I don't think this bombaing is going to affect their solvency or anything.
From what I've been told me the story is a mess in this.

It's strange. Hire Hollywood acting talent. Forgo Hollywood screenwriting talent. Although, I suppose this is all part of David Cage's not-so-secret aspirations to be part of Hollywood/make film.

I imagine though if this is less commercially successful de Fondaumière, who seems to control the purse strings will be seriously contemplating proper writers next time.

I definitely agree that he needs to take a back-seat when it comes to writing, but I appreciate his ideas if not the execution. He just needs to swallow his price and accept he can't do his ideas justice in terms of dialogue, story, etc.

I sincerely hope that they do force him to step down from writing duties with the next game, just hire someone competent. TWD and Fables show just how much of a difference a competent writer can make...

Kurtofan

Sounds like some people here are mad at pokemon for some reason.

3 and 4 for Pokemon? Oooch... GTA with it's boot on Pikachu's throat.

GTA is on more platforms than pokemon and they didn't even count the games together...

Also lol at ignoring the individual charts, first and second place is such a terrible result.

I'm really not sure why beating or not beating the 4th week of GTA V's sales is some sort of metric or benchmark to begin with.
It all started when someone started a thread if Pokemon XY will beat day 1 sales of GTAV. Then the rest are history.
Oh, is that where this is coming from. Dumb.

Top Bottom