• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 41, 2013

Vashetti

Banned
So what are the sales here? Sub 10k?

Still surprised it failed to make a bigger impact, especially considering the massive ad campaign and their cutting content to ensure a lower rating so they could push even more ads.

Reviews have been quite mixed and often scathing.

I personally loved it, but a new game/IP at the end of the gen with new consoles out next month was always going to suffer.

I personally loved it, but a new game/IP at the end of the gen with new consoles out next month was always going to suffer.

I guess it's more reviews than new IP this late, TLoU shows that you can release a new IP i the tail end of a generation and still see massive success. Saying that, TLoU did have a lot going for it, summer drought, weeks of no competition, etc so perhaps that's not the best comparison to make.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

nah, TLOU?

I think the game just failed to portray itself as something interesting. Reviews didn't help.

edit: lol at Virtua Tennis charting with KZ merc again. DAT BUNDLE :D

It's not good.

That said, I don't think it's just the reviews; I think the novelty just isn't there now, compared to when Heavy Rain came out. (And actually think the polarized reviews are in part due to the concept no longer being as novel).
---
Gfk site doesn't seem to be working.

I guess it's more reviews than new IP this late, TLoU shows that you can release a new IP i the tail end of a generation and still see massive success. Saying that, TLoU did have a lot going for it, summer drought, weeks of no competition, etc so perhaps that's not the best comparison to make.

Yeah, I'd bet competition from other releases was the biggest factor here. Heavy Rain got shit on in reviews as well, and that didn't hit sales of it. I think it just came out at the worst possible time for what it is.

It's the kind of release that probably would have thrived if it'd come out in August or something, but with GTA V, Fifa and Pokemon having a vice like grip on the charts it probably charted as high as it realistically could.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's not good.

That said, I don't think it's just the reviews; I think the novelty just isn't there now, compared to when Heavy Rain came out. (And actually think the polarized reviews are in part due to the concept no longer being as novel).
---
Gfk site doesn't seem to be working.

Yep. Anyone who can contact them? :D

Mpl90

Rockstar/Take 2’s ‘GTA V’ (-31%) takes a second consecutive week at No1 and its 3rd in total since launch. EA’s ‘FIFA 14’ (-29%) stays at No2 ahead of this week’s big new release. The new wave of Skylanders lands with ‘Skylanders Swap Force’ arriving at No3. Developer duties have passed from Toys For Bob to Vicarious Visions (360, Wii U, PS3) and Beenox (Wii) for the next outing while N-Space continues to develop the 3DS version. ‘Swap Force’ doesn’t manage to match predecessor ‘Skylanders Giants’ which made it to No2 this time last year with just over 35% more sales than Activision Blizzards’ latest release. Wii continues to be the most popular format with 37% of sales, with Wii U accounting for another 4%. Last week’s new Pokémon titles both drop a place with ‘Pokémon X’ at No4 (-59%) and ‘Pokémon Y’ at No5 (-58%). Another debut title from last week slips a place with Quantic Dreams/Sony’s ‘Beyond Two Souls’ (-60%) down to No6. 4J Studios’ ‘Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition’ (+19%) which hasn’t been out of the Top 10 since its release 17 weeks ago climbs a place to No7. Both ‘F1 2013’ (-36%) and ‘Just Dance 2014’ (-30%) slip two places to No8 and No9 respectively. Other major toys-to-life title ‘Disney Infinity’ (+20%) rounds off the Top 10. This means that new Wii U/3DS title ‘Sonic: Lost World’ has to settle for a debut at No11.

GTAV - 76k
FIFA 14 - 64k

Top 40 Entertainment Software (All Prices), Week Ending 18 October 2013

GRAND THEFT AUTO V - TAKE 2
FIFA 14 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
POKEMON X - NINTENDO
POKEMON Y - NINTENDO
BEYOND TWO SOULS - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION - MICROSOFT
F1 2013 - CODEMASTERS
JUST DANCE 2014 - UBISOFT
DISNEY INFINITY - DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
SONIC: LOST WORLD - NINTENDO
LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
KILLZONE: MERCENARY - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
MAX PAYNE 3 - TAKE 2
VIRTUA TENNIS 4: WORLD TOUR EDITION - SEGA
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER - NINTENDO
ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF - NINTENDO
SAINTS ROW IV - KOCH MEDIA
LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
TOMB RAIDER - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: BLACKLIST - UBISOFT
THE LAST OF US - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED - ELECTRONIC ARTS
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2014 - KONAMI
NBA 2K14 - TAKE 2
DIABLO III - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
RAYMAN LEGENDS - UBISOFT
CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
MOSHI MONSTERS: KATSUMA UNLEASHED - MIND CANDY
FARMING SIMULATOR 2013 - KOCH MEDIA
ASSASSIN'S CREED III - UBISOFT
BIOSHOCK INFINITE - TAKE 2
FIFA 13 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
GRAND THEFT AUTO IV - TAKE 2
PAYDAY 2 - 505 GAMES
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 REMIX - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
THE SMURFS 2 - UBISOFT
GRAN TURISMO 5 ACADEMY EDITION - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
MARIO KART 7 - NINTENDO
SKYLANDERS GIANTS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

Peff

So how long until the "games plus physical toys" genre is thoroughly run into the ground? Disney Infinity has the obvious Disney appeal, but Swap Force looks like the game that should have been released last year instead. I'm not sure it's the kind of universal phenomenon that even then still couldn't save Guitar Hero.

Dynoro

So how long until the "games plus physical toys" genre is thoroughly run into the ground? Disney Infinity has the obvious Disney appeal, but Swap Force looks like the game that should have been released last year instead. I'm not sure it's the kind of universal phenomenon that even then still couldn't save Guitar Hero.

I think the share of sales on the Wii is quite telling for Skylanders; it shows that the target market have not moved on to other consoles (and have probably diverted to handhelds or phones/tablets). Unless the recent release of Pokemon meant parents don't have the cash for two games (or three with X and Y) in quick succession.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Wii U exclusivity doesn't help.

It's also for 3DS (not the same game, but for Chart Track it is) and the 3DS version of Sonic Generations (not the same game, but for Chart Track it is) outsold the console versions (not the same game, but for Chart Track it is), so that's probably not the reason.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not really, not with that kind of ridiculous marketing campaign. Not to mention there hasn't been much in the way of competition other than Pokémon and Sonic (lol). Batman and I think Battlefield 4? come out this week, so we'll see.
GTA 5 and FIFA 14 are also big competitors. Even if those games werent released in the same week, they keep on selling good for many weeks straight.

While a big (though not unexpected) drop for Beyond (though position wise it barely moves), I'm more surprised for the big drop off of Pokemon. Considering it wasn't in full sale everywhere over the last weekend, I wouldn't have expected such a drop this week. But it really goes to show it doesn't matter how long it's tracked, the bulk of sales are first day generally with big releases like these. Even still I expected better legs. Be interesting how it compared to past titles.

Sonic is as expected, not great. Swap Force's drop is expected with greater competition and parents won't want to be buying even more toys for potentially 3 games.

Peff

I think the share of sales on the Wii is quite telling for Skylanders; it shows that the target market have not moved on to other consoles (and have probably diverted to handhelds or phones/tablets). Unless the recent release of Pokemon meant parents don't have the cash for two games (or three with X and Y) in quick succession.

Yeah, it's too early to tell either way, but it doesn't seem very sustainable. Especially so because if I'm not mistaken Swap Force isn't compatible with the old toy reader thing, which probably won't sit well with parents.

Bruno MB

Pokémon second week drop:

- Pokémon Diamond (-20%)
- Pokémon Pearl (?)

- Pokémon Black (-47%)
- Pokémon White (-50%)

- Pokémon Black 2 (-59%)
- Pokémon White 2 (-62%)

- Pokémon Y (-58%)
- Pokémon X (-59%)

Mpl90

- Pokémon Diamond (-20%)
- Pokémon Pearl (?)

- Pokémon Black (-47%)
- Pokémon White (-50%)

- Pokémon Black 2 (-59%)
- Pokémon White 2 (-62%)

- Pokémon Y (-58%)
- Pokémon X (-59%)

So, it's more in line with Black and White and Black and White 2. We'll never know how Diamond and Pearl debuted in UK, right? Because I suspect X and Y's debut is far nearer to Black and White than to Diamond and Pearl.

- Pokémon Diamond (-20%)
- Pokémon Pearl (?)

- Pokémon Black (-47%)
- Pokémon White (-50%)

- Pokémon Black 2 (-59%)
- Pokémon White 2 (-62%)

- Pokémon Y (-58%)
- Pokémon X (-59%)

So that is not a great drop for Pokemon historically. Nearly as bad as B+W2 which didn't sell that great and with X+Y on less days of sale the week prior.

Vashetti

Banned
Wasn't the DS much bigger at the time when Pokémon launched for it, compared to how big the 3DS is now when Pokémon has just launched?

Mpl90

So that is not a great drop for Pokemon historically. Nearly as bad as B+W2 which didn't sell that great and with X+Y on less days of sale the week prior.

X and Y, however, had a 2x debut compared to Black 2 and White 2, so much higher than them.

Just to put things in perspective, given the higher than 121k debut (the only higher limit we have is 180k), a 58/59% drop puts it at 50k as lowest limit and 75.6k as highest limit for this week.

I'm trying to find infos about Diamond and Pearl debut in UK (not on Chart Track, since it's broken right now argh), but nothing so far. Still, we could compare it with Black and White's first month (which were 4 weeks tracked), posted by Bruno MB last week.

March 2011 UK

[NDS] Pokémon White (Nintendo) - 154.000
[NDS] Pokémon Black (Nintendo) - 132.000

286k between the two.

Pokémon Black and White sold between 171k and 255.6k in these two weeks. Obviously, a number much nearer to the lowest limit is the sensible estimate we can make. Maybe, this week we can have better infos about sales of each Pokémon SKU.

Bruno MB

GTAV - 76k
FIFA 14 - 64k

Top 40 Entertainment Software (All Prices), Week Ending 18 October 2013

GRAND THEFT AUTO V - TAKE 2
FIFA 14 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
POKEMON X - NINTENDO
POKEMON Y - NINTENDO
BEYOND TWO SOULS - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION - MICROSOFT
F1 2013 - CODEMASTERS
JUST DANCE 2014 - UBISOFT
DISNEY INFINITY - DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
SONIC: LOST WORLD - NINTENDO
LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
KILLZONE: MERCENARY - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
MAX PAYNE 3 - TAKE 2
VIRTUA TENNIS 4: WORLD TOUR EDITION - SEGA
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER - NINTENDO
ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF - NINTENDO
SAINTS ROW IV - KOCH MEDIA
LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
TOMB RAIDER - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: BLACKLIST - UBISOFT
THE LAST OF US - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED - ELECTRONIC ARTS
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2014 - KONAMI
NBA 2K14 - TAKE 2
DIABLO III - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
RAYMAN LEGENDS - UBISOFT
CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
MOSHI MONSTERS: KATSUMA UNLEASHED - MIND CANDY
FARMING SIMULATOR 2013 - KOCH MEDIA
ASSASSIN'S CREED III - UBISOFT
BIOSHOCK INFINITE - TAKE 2
FIFA 13 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
GRAND THEFT AUTO IV - TAKE 2
PAYDAY 2 - 505 GAMES
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 REMIX - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
THE SMURFS 2 - UBISOFT
GRAN TURISMO 5 ACADEMY EDITION - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
MARIO KART 7 - NINTENDO
SKYLANDERS GIANTS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

GFK Chart-Track looks completely dead. I opened the new thread with this chart, I'll update when the web is fixed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700864

Top Bottom