• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

zroid

Banned
I'll never understand why some gamers enjoy being OCD gamers. I like to plow on through games and if the world and gameplay feel right, I'll spend a lot of time after I beat it exploring and collecting all the secrets.

I'll definitely be using a guide for this one.

Heh, I wouldn't say I "enjoy" it, it's probably more a curse, if anything. ;)

But in a sense I do have a certain empathy for the developers and I feel like any time I miss something, I'm doing them a disservice. This is mainly for games I enjoy, mind.

Same reason most bands don't make the same loved albums over again, it's boring to them and they are the artists/creators.

Recycling isn't very exciting.

Take risks, don't be safe.

Well said. We should, whenever and wherever possible, encourage games to be more creatively driven than financially driven.

Socreges

Banned
It's never not clear where you're supposed to go, but finding the key to getting there can be annoying at times. I got stuck, as in totally stumped, exactly once, and that was because I failed to enter one room on a stage. If you're not rushing through the game and actually take the time to thoroughly explore each stage then you're golden.
Hoping to hear more of this. It's definitely possible that some reviewers are tearing through the game and missing important pieces.

Point is the "difficulty" you were championing wasn't the good kind. It's the wrong word to describe what the reviewers were experiencing.

And my point is I have no reason to trust that I'll experience the same frustrations or that it will be unenjoyable for me. There's even conflicting accounts on this page.

zroid

Banned
It sucks there isn't an option to do transfarring

If you wait till unspecified date in 2013 there will supposedly be a tool for what you requested. :p

The shit will probably fly tomorrow when reviews hit. I worry a lot of people might mistake what is a conceptually sound game with some frustrations for one which aligns with their pessimistic view on the Sticker mechanic.

Mory Dunz

PM64 is the best, no doubt.

I was never huge on TTYD. It was fun, but soooo easy and straight forward. Exploring in PM64 felt so damn unique, I really felt like Mario's world had turned to paper.

Ahhh, sweet sweet nostalgia. I miss being ten years old.

Not to be argumentative, but look back objectively.
Everything about TTYD was better than PM64. Like, everything. Story, Battle, Badges, etc.

The only reason why they're close in people's minds is because PM64 came first and was completely new. (And this is a pretty solid reason, so don't get me wrong)

TTYD was a sequel so the novelty of paper was gone. But considering both games as if for the first time, it's not close for me.

The only thing 64 has over TTYD is the Koopa Bros Theme Song. What a song...

TriGen

Since this comes out a week before the Wii U, my gaming budget is gonna require me to hold off on getting this day one. But, I am interested in hearing what people think about this game. If it gets a good response around here, I'll probaly end up getting it for Christmas.

eternalb

Not to be argumentative, but look back objectively.
Everything about TTYD was better than PM64. Like, everything. Story, Battle, Badges, etc.

Disagreed. I think both games have their strongsuits; PM had some fantastic mysterious/chapters that were matched, but not surpassed in TTYD.

Plus MP64's battle music is far less annoying. And it had Jr. Troopa, who's missing presence has left a hole in my heart ever since.

Mory Dunz

Disagreed. I think both games have their strongsuits; PM had some fantastic mysterious/chapters that were matched, but not surpassed in TTYD.

Plus MP64's battle music is far less annoying. And it had Jr. Troopa, who's missing presence has left a hole in my heart ever since.

I will give you Jr. Troopa. He was that dude.

One thing that irks me about PM64 though was that you couldn't use timed attacks or defense until after the Goombaron. I understand curving into the battle system, but that was a really long time to go without one of the game's key elements.

PM64 did have some memorable moments in comparison to TTYD though.

TTYD most certainly isn't better in every area, as it's major flaw would be pacing issues presented in Chapter 4, 5, and Chapter 7 prominently, and to a lesser extent, pre-chapter 6.

TTYD might do things better than Paper Mario, but the above reason makes it easier for me to change my mind on replaying it in comparison to Paper Mario.

Bladenic

TTYD most certainly isn't better in every area, as it's major flaw would be pacing issues presented in Chapter 4, 5, and Chapter 7 prominently, and to a lesser extent, pre-chapter 6.

TTYD might do things better than Paper Mario, but the above reason makes it easier for me to change my mind on replaying it in comparison to Paper Mario.

This. I replayed Paper Mario about 4 or 5 times, never replayed TTYD. Both are amazing games though, and TTYD is objectively better in certain aspects.

It's sad that we may never get a Paper Mario like those. Still waiting for Paper Luigi too.

john tv

So are the people who are getting stuck not asking Kersty for help? Or is she just not giving good enough hints...?

The one time I got majorly stuck so far, the hint she gave me helped me get out of it. Granted I'm only in world 2 tho...

squid

Can't wait for this. Day 1! Of course, Day 1 is a month later than US, but oh well.

I'm curious to see reviews for this. It's a Paper Mario game, so it's gonna be good (and better than SPM I suspect), but there's a few things about this game that I'm a bit wary about (SMB-style level system, no partners, no XP). Also, glad Australia is getting the vastly superior blue cover art. Looks awesome!

On a side note, I do hope we get a WiiU Paper Mario sometime. Dat art style in HD...

Great OT by the way!

Haha. I was just asking someone for help. Multiple people have asked me for help too. I wish there was a GameFAQs for reviewers.

I don't really want to get too much into it before my review goes up, but I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on this one. I think it will be a polarizing game.

This so much. I've almost wanted to throw my system across the room.

How about obtuse progression and poor conveyance?

It's a plus in my book. I'm sick of this vocal minority wussing out on difficulty and using this as an excuse.

Hooray for a game I can't just breeze through in a few days, but actually have to take my time and explore and think in without expecting everything to be handed to me.

Mistle

Excited for this but disappointed it's still not a pure sequel in the style of the first two games, especially the masterpiece that was TTYD.

I'm open to change but there are a few aspects I've heard about this game that have me worried.

If there wasn't an embargo, I'd tell you why that logic is full of crap for this game.

Well, I'm a really massively stubborn supporter of old-style gameplay that was literally unfair. I'm probably the only one ever, but that's how games were back then. I guess I'm the only one who misses it. Getting into Flower Fields in the first PM was literally the stuff of nightmares for me as a kid, because finding the Bub-ulbs or whatever they were called was extremely difficult. But it could be the most impossible thing in the world, and I would still find it fun, because it's Paper Mario.

Alex

I am now quite a bit more interested in this game. I really want to see what the ruckus is over the progression. That sounds like my kind of deal, provided it works out. I'm not one to put much heed into the press's opinion on something like that, no offense intended, I just need to try it out for myself.

If there's anything the gaming landscape needs a return of, it's less handholding in games and genres that very sincerely don't need it. Nintendo skews to broader audiences than most, but they're one of the worst at this, so I'm pretty surprised to even hear this is a thing.

More challenging than previous PM games, you say? Yes, please. >:3 Nothing I've heard about Sticker Star's changes so far hasn't made me want the game even more.

I'm wondering if this is a case where someone who explores more thoroughly, like a person who isn't rushing through the game to get a review out, won't get stumped.

I'm wondering if this is a case where someone who explores more thoroughly, like a person who isn't rushing through the game to get a review out, won't get stumped.

Yeah, thats what Im wondering. I know reviewers have to go fast, especially for an RPG... but what about for someone who have time ?
I hope reviews wont be harsh only because of that.

Yuterald

Wait, am I reading this correctly? Critics are complaining that the new Paper Mario is frustrating/bad because it's somewhat directionless? Oh my god...

Zoibie

Have to say, never played a Paper Mario game but I'm really excited for this. Not that I don't have a ton of 3DS games still to get through, but this one in particular has really grabbed my attention.

Wait, am I reading this correctly? Critics are complaining that the new Paper Mario is frustrating/bad because it's somewhat directionless? Oh my god...

well, those games sound like a pain to review under a deadline where there are no gamefaqs and the internet to ask for help.

Gravijah

Same reason most bands don't make the same loved albums over again, it's boring to them and they are the artists/creators.

Recycling isn't very exciting.

Take risks, don't be safe.

though, let's be honest here... this is Intelligent Systems. Fire Emblem & Advance Wars aren't exactly series with risky sequels.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gonna be a fun ride. Sounds like some will be liking it and others hating it.
Mind you might all end up with people annoyed.

Still the game looks alright otherwise, so hopefully no RE6 style reviews :/

GOAT alone won't make RE6 style reviews happen

Obviously, since I said this, scores lower than what RE6 got on some sites will rain :lol

zroid

Banned
Just to add more fuel to the speculation fire, this conversation also happened:

Philip Kollar @pkollar
I love how moving whole sections of text around in a review that's not working can make it suddenly come together and make sense.

Rich @RichIGN
@pkollar Yeah that happened to me a while ago. Words is funny things.

Philip Kollar @pkollar
@RichIGN For the same review I'm working on?! (or, uh, review of the same game, I mean)

Rich @RichIGN
@pkollar Nah. Didn't do that review. Though I'll be curious to see the scores and reactions on that one.

Philip Kollar @pkollar
@RichIGN Oh snap! And here I was looking forward to reading your thoughts. DAMN YOU RICH

Rich @RichIGN
@pkollar Haha. There are plans for that. But I'll be on here and in comments discussing. Will be pretty close to the review, I suspect.

It's a plus in my book. I'm sick of this vocal minority wussing out on difficulty and using this as an excuse.

Hooray for a game I can't just breeze through in a few days, but actually have to take my time and explore and think in without expecting everything to be handed to me.

Hell yeah, well said. I'm more than glad to hear this game is stumping people and getting them stuck. That is a great thing to have in a video game, it brings more life to the whole experience instead of a boring cake-walk.

when are reviews up, 12 est or pst?

9a.m PST

Just to add more fuel to the speculation fire, this conversation also happened:

Philip Kollar @pkollar
I love how moving whole sections of text around in a review that's not working can make it suddenly come together and make sense.

Rich @RichIGN
@pkollar Yeah that happened to me a while ago. Words is funny things.

Philip Kollar @pkollar
@RichIGN For the same review I'm working on?! (or, uh, review of the same game, I mean)

Rich @RichIGN
@pkollar Nah. Didn't do that review. Though I'll be curious to see the scores and reactions on that one.

Philip Kollar @pkollar
@RichIGN Oh snap! And here I was looking forward to reading your thoughts. DAMN YOU RICH

Rich @RichIGN
@pkollar Haha. There are plans for that. But I'll be on here and in comments discussing. Will be pretty close to the review, I suspect.

Didnt Rich said that there was a lot of clever things too ?
1h15m left :p

It's never not clear where you're supposed to go, but finding the key to getting there can be annoying at times. I got stuck, as in totally stumped, exactly once, and that was because I failed to enter one room on a stage. If you're not rushing through the game and actually take the time to thoroughly explore each stage then you're golden.

So its going to be Dragon Quest VII kind of challenging. I can live with that. Gamefaq/Fortuneteller should have my back if I miss something.

Cranzor

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but if I were to pre-order the game from Amazon right now, should the game still come on/before the release date? Or am I too late?

Reviews be damned.

ipN9gpNhMOxuc.gif

This was really the only thing the OP needed to sell this game to me.

I'll be curious to read some non-spoiler reviews but I don't it's going to convince me not to buy it even if some areas are vague. I made it through all the Layton games so far (okay, working on the latest one right now) so I should be okay.

Top Bottom