• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

hatchx

Banned
Challenging difficulty and IGN disapproval are both pluses in my book.

There is a difference between challenging and frustrating.

There's a difference between exploring a game, and being lost.

I hope things turn out well, but after over 2 years of knowing about this game, I can't help but be worried it's not going to a worthwhile game.

He didn't say low. He said the score might be lower than anticipated.

I can only interpret it to mean <8.0

CronoShot

There's also a guy on the Sticker Star board on GameFAQs saying similar things.

Yo everyone,

Not allowed to talk about a whole lot, but I am reviewing this and have been playing for around 15 hours so far. I dropped by to quickly mention a couple of things you might find interesting:

1) The soundtrack is excellent, featuring live instruments for leads in many of the songs!
2) It's creative, sometimes very creative.
3) I am currently extremely frustrated trying to figure out what to do next however. This has happened to me at least three times already and it's not cool at all. However I'm sure the existence of internet assistance will help you guys when you finally play.

Can't talk about anything beyond a certain point pretty early on in the adventure, but if you have any questions, fire away and I will do my best to answer (if I get time!).

Some more:

As for the difficulty, it's... not the good kind of difficult. It's the "I don't know where to go and the game provides zero direction for me to be able to figure it out" kind. But that'll subside once everyone has the game and info is available for it. Other parts of the game, such as some battles, are actually a bit harder than I expected.

What had me stuck early on (and has happened since a couple of additional times) is the fact that you have to have and know where to use specific stickers in the environment in order to progress. There are at least a couple instances thus far where this is very ambiguous, and the hints provided by your companion are essentially worthless.

ohlawd

I can only interpret it to mean <8.0

The new point system birthed from this gen where anything below a 9 is a fail. I know that feel.

I posted earlier predicting that this game will get a 7.0 from IGN. Then the news of reviewers having trouble started coming in. That 7.0 from IGN and other publications might turn out to be real :(

I'm going to get this game regardless. At first I was upset that Paper Mario Sticker Star is going to be different from the previous paper mario games I have played. No partners or level ups. But I got over it because even if the game is different, I still want to give it a shot. I might check out the reviews though, but it will not affect my decision that I had made.

I want to play ths game to see how bad the reviewers are at it.

I highly doubt it's this perplexing.

Then again, I hated the change the 2D Zeldas made making it obvious which walls to bomb.

Refugio

Maybe because they don't want to just make another regular ol' Paper Mario. I'm up for something different.

Yeah some devs just don't like making too many similar games. Maybe they'll talk about this in the eventual Iwata Asks.

Anyway even though I love the first two, I do find change exciting. I just hope finding the right thing really isn't that hard. I'm the kind of person that will resort to a faq if I can't progress right away. I don't want to keep gamefaqs open all the time lol.

hatchx

Banned
The new point system birthed from this gen where anything below a 9 is a fail. I know that feel.

I posted earlier predicting that this game will get a 7.0 from IGN. Then the news of reviewers having trouble started coming in. That 7.0 from IGN and other publications might turn out to be real :(

The best I can hope for is that there are 3-4 or areas in the game that stop you, but the rest is excellent and still worth playing.

A 7.0 sounds about right. They gave Code of Princess a 6.9, and I love it...so.....meh

zroid

Banned
I hope things turn out well, but after over 2 years of knowing about this game, I can't help but be worried it's not going to a worthwhile game.

I wouldn't say the two year cycle has been much of a decline for me; the sticker conceit is pretty compelling, honestly, and the writing seems sharp as ever.

If these frustrations prove legitimate it will obviously have been a very sudden disappointment for me, but I generally have relatively high tolerance for this kind of thing, so it should be alright.

Anyway, my philosophy in playing games (unlike some, who want to be spoon-fed a perfect experience) is to play a game in the way most suited to getting the most out of it. If I have to keep an eye on a GameFAQ to keep myself interested, well so be it. I'm glad I'm not a game reviewer because I'd rather not be in a position where I have to make some sort of judgement call on whether this should be considered acceptable or appropriate.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ugh, I didn't mind the lack of partners at all but my fears about the new level structure are surfacing.

hatchx

Banned

Anyway, my philosophy in playing games (unlike some, who want to be spoon-fed a perfect experience) is to play a game in the way most suited to getting the most out of it. If I have to keep an eye on a GameFAQ to keep myself interested, well so be it. I'm glad I'm not a game reviewer because I'd rather not be in a position where I have to make some sort of judgement on whether this should be considered acceptable.

I never beat a Zelda (ever) without a guide / online help. Kind of pathetic I guess.

Like I said, I hope it's just a few stop gaps rather than all over the game. If there are only 3 or 4 times where the gamer gets stuck, that's not so bad. I'm just worried it'll turn into the kind of game where you never know where to go.

zroid

Banned
If there are only 3 or 4 times where the gamer gets stuck, that's not so bad. I'm just worried it'll turn into the kind of game where you never know where to go.

Hopefully, yes. I doubt it'll be too persistent. It sounds like the result of missing an item and there not being clear instruction on where it is or what it is, rather than the game being directionless.

jackal27

Banned
Yeah some devs just don't like making too many similar games. Maybe they'll talk about this in the eventual Iwata Asks.

Anyway even though I love the first two, I do find change exciting. I just hope finding the right thing really isn't that hard. I'm the kind of person that will resort to a faq if I can't progress right away. I don't want to keep gamefaqs open all the time lol.

Paper Mario is made by Intelligent Systems though... The guys who make Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, haha.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Frustrating difficulty from getting lost is better, imo, than frustrating difficulty due to unfair difficulty levels in battles and heavy-level grinding requirements. Just grab a quick guide and, viola.

Although, I suspect it's because the reviewers likely, due to rushing through the game for review, didn't pick up on subtle hints in levels that made it clear your were meant to return to them at later points.

Velcro Fly

After slogging through the first two Golden Sun games on the GBA where you are often told where to go but never ever how to get there, I think I'll be fine.

I'm thinking it is one of those kind of games where if you don't pick up a key item at a certain point, you pretty much have to go all the way back to get it. And you never really get any hints that you need this key item the first time through an area, so you probably aren't on the lookout for something like that and a first playthrough without any guides or outside help will contain a ton of backtracking.

jschreier

Haha. I was just asking someone for help. Multiple people have asked me for help too. I wish there was a GameFAQs for reviewers.

I don't really want to get too much into it before my review goes up, but I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on this one. I think it will be a polarizing game.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Like I said, I hope it's just a few stop gaps rather than all over the game. If there are only 3 or 4 times where the gamer gets stuck, that's not so bad. I'm just worried it'll turn into the kind of game where you never know where to go.

It's never not clear where you're supposed to go, but finding the key to getting there can be annoying at times. I got stuck, as in totally stumped, exactly once, and that was because I failed to enter one room on a stage. If you're not rushing through the game and actually take the time to thoroughly explore each stage then you're golden.

Tookay

I just hope that, even with FAQ in hand, the game isn't a chore to backtrack through. I love TTYD, but those sections were easily the worst parts of the game.

zroid

Banned
It's never not clear where you're supposed to go, but finding the key to getting there can be annoying at times. I got stuck, as in totally stumped, exactly once, and that was because I failed to enter one room on a stage. If you're not rushing through the game and actually take the time to thoroughly explore each stage then you're golden.

Well that's definitely what I wanted to hear because I'm one of those people who needs to look in every nook and cranny, and talk to every single NPC no matter what.

Anyhoo, I eagerly anticipate the Nintendo Life review :)

hatchx

Banned
Haha. I was just asking someone for help. Multiple people have asked me for help too. I wish there was a GameFAQs for reviewers.

I don't really want to get too much into it before my review goes up, but I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on this one. I think it will be a polarizing game.

Who to believe? Who?!

Wow this game sounds awesome for someone like me. I love exploring every little corner and pixel a game has to offer especially RPGs, talking to everyone and trying to interact with everything that you can touch. I think that's the reason I have like 70 hours on Xenoblade and I'm still at
Satorl Marsh

Well that's definitely what I wanted to hear because I'm one of those people who needs to look in every nook and cranny, and talk to every single NPC no matter what.

This is me as well.

But yeah IntSys for the most part makes similar games lol.

*clearly hasn't played Fire Emblem: Awakening*

Anyway, 'This game doesn't tell me what to do every second of the way' sounds like a bullshit complaint. Boo-hoo. It's not immediately obvious what you should do next? How is that a bad thing?

Bladenic

I was never down with the game ever since more info started popping up. But I thought "hey it'll probably come out and be great and my fears will be for naught". Now it's shaping up that my fears might be coming true.

I'll be playing the game regardless when I finally get a 3DS, but my expectations are low.

CronoShot

Interesting. Seems like I might be okay. I switched to 3D in SPM like every ten steps because I was afraid I would miss something.

Nekofrog

Banned
nintendo please, i beg of you, thousand year door 2. don't change a goddamn thing, use the same engine if you have to.

just more glorious thousand year door.

hatchx

Banned
Interesting. Seems like I might be okay. I switched to 3D in SPM like every ten steps because I was afraid I would miss something.

I'll never understand why some gamers enjoy being OCD gamers. I like to plow on through games and if the world and gameplay feel right, I'll spend a lot of time after I beat it exploring and collecting all the secrets.

I'll definitely be using a guide for this one.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I can't understand why they're so damn stubborn as to not do this.

Probably because they want to offer something new? It was already enough to do what they did with two games, there's no need to make another exactly like that.

That news doesn't bother me at all. Then again, to make a true assessment we'll all have to see for ourselves.

I'm also a little more excited for it now ;)

hatchx

Banned
but PM64 is just as good as TTYD, and better in some aspects.

PM64 is the best, no doubt.

I was never huge on TTYD. It was fun, but soooo easy and straight forward. Exploring in PM64 felt so damn unique, I really felt like Mario's world had turned to paper.

Ahhh, sweet sweet nostalgia. I miss being ten years old.

Sagitario

I am planning on buying the digital version and then the retail one down the road (no hurry), are the save files between versions compatible or transferable?

Probably because they want to offer something new? It was already enough to do what they did with two games, there's no need to make another exactly like that.

But! But! We haven't had a real Paper Mario in 8 years!!

Lol.

We haven't had a real Pikmin in 8 years either and people complain 3 looks and plays too much like the 2.

So damned either way.

I am planning on buying the digital version and then the retail one down the road (no hurry), are the save files between versions compatible or transferable?

No.

Diablos54

I'm just crazy like that lol. I remember swimming through all the water in Colony 9 and getting to the deepest corners on the maps until I was sure that there were no more places to see.
lol, I did that too. Plus later on in
the sea area with floating platforms.
That was very time consuming, to say the least.

Top Bottom