• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

zroid

Banned
Haha if Jim Sterling were reviewing this it'd probably be like a 4. From what I know about him, he's highly sensitive to the types of issues this game apparently has.

RPGCrazied

I'm sure if you liked Super Paper Mario, since it didn't really have partners, then you'll like this? I'm sure the writing is going to be just as good as the other Paper Mario games.

I'm sure if you liked Super Paper Mario, since it didn't really have partners, then you'll like this? I'm sure the writing is going to be just as good as the other Paper Mario games.

I sincerely hope it isn't like Super Paper Mario. I don't mind if it's its own thing, but I will be super let down if it's like SPM.

Aeana

The progression stuff doesn't sound too bad to me, although I'm still concerned about the worth of regular battles.

So are the people who are getting stuck not asking Kersty for help? Or is she just not giving good enough hints...?

The one time I got majorly stuck so far, the hint she gave me helped me get out of it. Granted I'm only in world 2 tho...

Your aid doesn't always seem to give you clues when you're stuck, though it may just be that you have to be in the right area or something to trigger it.

zroid

Banned
Well I guess according to most here then, I just suck at gaming, am not observant, and just suck at exploration. Great.

Come on, "most" of us aren't saying that. But pre-release review conditions are obviously very different from standard ones, so it's valid to question whether these are legitimate concerns for us normal folk.

I'm not posting a review. I'll post a few thoughts, but I wasn't graced with an "official review copy" of sorts. I'm just obeying the press embargo to be proper/polite.

Come on, "most" of us aren't saying that.

I'm sorry if you don't feel that way, it's just the vibe of the thread I'm getting honestly. :|

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
The progression stuff doesn't sound too bad to me, although I'm still concerned about the worth of regular battles.

Besides loot (coins, stickers, health) drops immediately after battle, the more enemies you defeat during the course of a stage the more cash you receive as a bonus once you complete it. Also, they're fun!

Not sure how I feel about the changes made. I'll wait for reviews and user input.

Besides loot (coins, stickers, health) drops immediately after battle, the more enemies you defeat during the course of a stage the more cash you receive as a bonus once you complete it. Also, they're fun!

Do battles still have an element of skill with timed hits and timed blocks?

Gonna take a stab that if the getting lost thing is bad, then I can see Sticker Star as a game that could improve with each playthrough due to prior knowledge. It's still a legit complaint, but it's one I can live with since I can reduce the issues at least. Which is more than what I could say about TTYD's issues with progression.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm not posting a review. I'll post a few thoughts, but I wasn't graced with an "official review copy" of sorts. I'm just obeying the press embargo to be proper/polite.

Ah, well I'll be interested in reading your opinion on it nonetheless. Anything that isn't SPM linear seems like it would be a plus to me though.

I will note: I haven't played other Paper Mario games, so do take that into account with my opinions here. Also note, I did not finish the game or come anywhere close to it because I just couldn't figure it out. That's a huge reason why I'm not reviewing this game. Can't really give a full "review" without finishing it (though I was tempted).

So here are a few quick pros and cons which summarize my thoughts:

Positives:

Big stickers can be fun to watch
A few enemies gave me chuckles
Can press start to go to the world map quickly (only if you've defeated a level)
Puzzles can be clever

Negatives:

Battles don't really have weight, to the point they feel like fluff/filler
You can get stickers sometimes and coins
Coins seem superfluous since most stickers can be found around the levels
Most become tedious and in the way of trying to figure out where to go or what to do next
The whole world felt lifeless, no real character development
Kersti isn't great at giving useful hints
Where to go next can be extremely frustrating

GameXplain makes it sound a lot like Golden Coins - you can go where you want. Non-linear levels.
Listening to Gamexplain it sounds like the big problem is its open world nature. Sounds a bit like the Zelda DS games but without a 'note pad' function.

zroid

Banned
I will note: I haven't played other Paper Mario games, so do take that into account with my opinions here. Also note, I did not finish the game or come anywhere close to it because I just couldn't figure it out. That's a huge reason why I'm not reviewing this game. Can't really give a full "review" without finishing it (though I was tempted).

Positives:

Can press start to go to the world map quickly (only if you've defeated a level)
Puzzles can be clever

Negatives:

Most become tedious and in the way of trying to figure out where to go or what to do next

Thanks for the impressions. Weird how it sounds like this game was rushed even though it's been in development for so long.

Positives:

Puzzles can be clever

Negatives:

Do you not think this makes a great handheld game? Sounds like old Gameboy games, always going back to search new areas etc.?

Do you not think this makes a great handheld game? Sounds like old Gameboy games, always going back to search new areas etc.?

It sounded like it would be great. I really hate it right now honestly. I stopped playing it completely because backtracking on one level for an hour wasn't my idea of fun. Again, see my snippy post above where I think people think I'm dumb for a possible reason for my frustration in the game. ;)

Oh and the music is pretty OK. I hesitate to call it great, but it's enjoyable and doesn't stick out in most areas. Fits nicely.

WillyFive

Not to be argumentative, but look back objectively.
Everything about TTYD was better than PM64. Like, everything. Story, Battle, Badges, etc.

Only the battle system was better. Everything else was not, especially art style, music, levels, writing, structure, partners, etc.

TTYD was a good sequel, but not good enough to be better than the first one. Although to be fair, there's a distinct lack of Mario Gonzales in PM1.

IGN review made me realise what this game is:
Its a sticker collector. Open world and about just looking for stickers. Mario is just an excuse to sell the sticker collection game.

So yeah its a collectathon based on sticker collecting. Individual worlds might as well be different sticker packs.

RM8

Just remembering the glorious moments found in the original trilogy has me super hyped. The wait is unbearable.

The only thing I'm worried about now after all the reviews and such is the world. Sounds like it lacks charm and life which is weird for a Mario RPG game :(

Everything else sounds great though...maybe the battle system is a little bit too simplified now, but I guess I'll have to see for myself.

Top Bottom