• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

john tv

Diggin' this so far - barely had any time to play, but just got out of the first world last night. Started off a little bit slow but quickly got really good. Surprisingly challenging, too (that or I just suck).

Masked Man

I said wow
i'm not going to lie, i would trade Paper Mario for Animal Crossing.

As would I, although I understand: AC will sell like crazy here in Japan, so they're going to get it out as soon as they can. :/
I intend to buy both, for the record. I just really want Paper Mario!

Symphonic

Diggin' this so far - barely had any time to play, but just got out of the first world last night. Started off a little bit slow but quickly got really good. Surprisingly challenging, too (that or I just suck).

Yessss. I want this. Is it similar to the other games or drastically different?

ohlawd

That's what I like to hear. Less than a week left!

qq more

Wow. You got the style down perfectly, Chet. Amazing job with the OT art!

I hope the game turns out great. I was very disappointed by Super Paper Mario..

Tagg9

Game looks superb. I'll probably skip Professor Layton after I complete VLR and just go straight to this. Who needs a console?

terrisus

Definitely going to be all over this as soon as it comes out.
Love the Paper Mario series, and really excited to be able to have one of them in portable form.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Feel like the only person that is still not convinced that the sticker mechanic is a good idea, so I need convincing. Hopefully I will be won over.

john tv out of his natural habitat.

Hoping for a LOT of Paper Mario chat 8-4 guys (and Ms. Hiroko)! I'd particularly be interested in your opinion of the writing as localisers yourself! I've always found that PM is Treehouse's finest work and I'm conerned that the lack of partners might detract from it all.

rip YOSH of Glitzville.

also i am thankful that flurrie is not a parter in this game or dat chet rippo art work. (But I'll second the general sentiments and say that this is some of your finest art!)

Seda

Feel like the only person that is still not convinced that the sticker mechanic is a good idea, so I need convincing. Hopefully I will be won over.

uh....there's been a lot of people concerned about it. You are far from the only one.

I am really dissapointed with the direction they are taking with the Paper Mario franchise.

Don't get me wrong, the sticker idea seems fun and all, but like a lot of people, I'm not a fan of Nintendo getting rid of the partners and playing the whole "Bowser capturing Princess Peach card." I know that happened in the first one, but after playing TTYD, I really didn't want to go backwards. What they did with TTYD was perfect. Not making Bowser the main central villain and the little entertaining stories that happened in between getting Crystal Stars is what made the game.

Super Paper Mario may have been tedious, but at least it had the nice touching story aspect to it.

This...

This just feels like the kind of story I'd expect from a big 3D console Mario game. It just feels out of place compared to what we got before in Mario RPGs.

So as much as I hate to do this...I think I'll be skipping out on this one for now. Maybe I'll pick it up another time when the price goes down a bit.

zroid

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out Peach has a much bigger role than merely playing the part of captive in this game.

Well either way, we're sure to find out soon.

Symphonic

I am really dissapointed with the direction they are taking with the Paper Mario franchise.

Don't get me wrong, the sticker idea seems fun and all, but like a lot of people, I'm not a fan of Nintendo getting rid of the partners and playing the whole "Bowser capturing Princess Peach card." I know that happened in the first one, but after playing TTYD, I really didn't want to go backwards. What they did with TTYD was perfect. Not making Bowser the main central villain and the little entertaining stories that happened in between getting Crystal Stars is what made the game.

Super Paper Mario may have been tedious, but at least it had the nice touching story aspect to it.

This...

This just feels like the kind of story I'd expect from a big 3D console Mario game. It just feels out of place compared to what we got before in Mario RPGs.

So as much as I hate to do this...I think I'll be skipping out on this one for now. Maybe I'll pick it up another time when the price goes down a bit.

I'm so glad you know the whole story to the game.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I'm just sick of people taking previews and screenshots and videos and claiming that the story/gameplay/graphics/whatever are awful. It's fine that you don't like what you see and you don't want to buy the game, but it's wrong to say that the story is bad when you haven't even seen 95% of it.

Tookay

I'm so glad you know the whole story to the game.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I'm just sick of people taking previews and screenshots and videos and claiming that the story/gameplay/graphics/whatever are awful. It's fine that you don't like what you see and you don't want to buy the game, but it's wrong to say that the story is bad when you haven't even seen 95% of it.

Well Nintendo hasn't provided anything to contradict his impression in all the pre-release media.

We've seen the first 30 minutes, clips from throughout the game, and screenshots from later levels, with nary a new villain or troupe of baddies in sight. I'm with nintendoman here; it's easy to foresee that the plot/characters might be pretty dull in comparison to TTYD, because the lack of partners and new antagonists means the story loses out on some guaranteed methods of staying fresh.

Now you can claim that we're jumping the gun, but if you're not allowed to come to some conclusions about the general feel of a game from its own marketing, then something's wrong on Nintendo's end, not ours.

zroid

Banned
Rich from IGN implied that it would get a lower than anticipated score, and Jonathan Holmes from Destructoid is comparing it to the original Zelda, which I'm worried means "lots of random shit hidden in unmarked places with no direction as to where to go next." Hopefully I'm not driven to cancel my preorder tomorrow.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, Holmes's description of who would enjoy the game pretty much fits him like a glove, so I expect he quite liked it.

Drago

As long as the game is good and fun, I don't mind if it isn't up to snuff to 64 and TTYD. For $30, I just can't say no to Paper Mario

OK that's the first draft of the Paper Mario: Sticker Star review done. Definitely more a game for fans of NES/SNES era Mario than 64/GC era

...that seems...good?
Although obviously saying 'not very Paper Mario' - so fans may not love it I suppose.

zroid

Banned
The thought of getting stuck in a Paper Mario game kind of thrills me, for some reason.

I'm guessing it's because you need to find the right combination of stickers for certain battles due to the resource management mechanics. If so, great!!

Can't wait to see how it turns out, it's Paper Mario, but I'm so fucking worried about it...
TTYD is one of my favorite games of all time, and I had high expectations for this game before seeing the different direction IS took. I just want it to be memorable; the graphics and the music are pretty good, and it looks like the mechanics actually work and make a fun game, but the game looks really generic from what we've seen so far. Fuck the mariachi Shy Guys, I want something that's really memorable, like Huff'N'Puff, General Guy, Doopliss, Rawk Hawk, Dimentio and Mimi. And here I thought SPM couldn't be beaten in that aspect. The only 2 bosses I know of are a giant Pokey and the King Goomba. Lowering my hopes again...

At least we know that each of the bosses has it's own theme, like in past games. Hopefully I'm really, really wrong, because even so I'm still looking forward to playing this next Monday.

KarmaCow

Kinda blind preordered this since it was $10 cheaper on Amazon but now I'm kinda worried about the level structure. It seems to be compartmentalized for portable play and the lack of partners is worrying. Paper Mario wasn't ever challenging but this might be too simple.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oddly enough, I was never anticipating this game to be Paper Mario 3 / the sequel to TTYD many want. Mind you I love TTYD as much as anyone, it's amazing.

But considering this is a portable game, I figured it would be built around some concessions to portable play, and maybe scaled back a bit, like an alternate version of Paper Mario 1.

The way they've got it set up with a world map and "stages" but not in the way Super Paper Mario was conceived actually intrigues me. If it works like I suspect it does, I think this could end up being good for the portable format. We'll see.

Edit:

So...

"It sucks that I'm stuck in the game" or
"I'm stuck so this game sucks"

lol

Combined with the remarks this is for the "SNES" gamer, are we getting to the point that all it takes for a game to be retro is that it poses any sort of challenge for the player to have to figure something out at all? Ha ha. "I got stuck in this game. It's too retro for it's own good."

A hard paper mario game?

I'm scared.

Yet interested.

Give me the paper mario equivalent of the super ultimate secret level of mario 3d land.

The thought of getting stuck in a Paper Mario game kind of thrills me, for some reason.

I'm guessing it's because you need to find the right combination of stickers for certain battles due to the resource management mechanics. If so, great!!

Given the references to the original Zelda and Resident Evil, reviewers are probably having trouble figuring out what to do next.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder if this game has a fortune teller that they just missed like...all the other paper mario games.

Drago

Seems that the game is like Zelda in that there is no sense of where to go or what to do next. Not sure if I like that, but I'll give it a shot.

zroid

Banned
Given the references to the original Zelda and Resident Evil, reviewers are probably having trouble figuring out what to do next.

Seems that the game is like Zelda in that there is no sense of where to go or what to do next. Not sure if I like that, but I'll give it a shot.

This seems bizarre. If the game has a compartmentalized level structure (complete with overworld map), how do you get someone in a position where they don't know where to go next? Unless individual levels are extremely nonlinear, I find it hard to believe.

EDIT: well, I just read that gamefaqs post which lays it out in pretty certain terms.

Top Bottom