• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan: Health care plan must change to pass the House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
I can't figure out Ryan and the Republican's strategy doing this, but it was never about passing a better health care legislation. All that mattered was that they could say Obamacare was repealed. Sounds like a losing outcome no matter if their bill got through or not, so where were they exactly going with this?

Republicans are in a tricky spot. They've been shouting from the roof tops for the past seven years that they want to repeal Obamacare. They look stupid if they control government and don't repeal it after promising it for years.

If they want to replace it with something that kicks a lot of people off of healthcare, too many moderate republicans won't support it because they'll be slaughtered in 2018.

If they want to replace it with something that doesn't kick a lot of people off of health care, the rest of republicans won't support it because they don't want the whole thing to exist

That's what they call a conundrum.

You have to assume they are going to be trapped and going bi partisan. Abandon the freedom caucus loons who can only loose their seats for not being conservative enough.
What Democrats are going to support them enough to counter the loss of the Freedom caucus? For that to happen it will have to be simply fixes to the ACA, not "repeal and replace".

What's nuts to me is they had six years of sending repeal bills to Obama but the moment they would have responsibility for that taking place, they can't do it. Politics would be more funny if people's lives weren't at stake here.

Jenov

There are a lot of people, mostly republicans, who truly despise things like medicaid and any "hand outs" towards helping the poor. I've met quite a few people who believe this. They believe the poor choose to be poor from laziness and/or from fraud and wanting to cheat the system. They want their earned money to solely be their own money, and not taxed at all to give any of it to those lazy poors. This type of toxic attitude explains Paul Ryan's "health care plan".

Nafai1123

Banned
You have to assume they are going to be trapped and going bi partisan. Abandon the freedom caucus loons who can only loose their seats for not being conservative enough.

They would have to backtrack on repealing the ACA in order for Dems to get on board. That will be a tough sell given they've been telling all their voters how they need to repeal it for the last 6 years. It will hurt them with more than just the freedom caucus.

I do think it's their only decent option though, unless they seriously want to come up with a better plan to ACA, like single-payer, but that's just fantasy land.

Or...they appeal to the freedom caucus, make shit 100% worse and risk the backlash in 2018. Would not surprise me if they choose this option given they don't give a shit about people and think they are stupid enough to keep voting Republican (which they likely are in many of their districts).

Kasumin

There's even solid proof that they don't know how to do anything other than obstruct from the New York Times:

”We need to get into a governing mode and start thinking about actually achieving something rather than just kind of sparring," Mr. McConnell said.

His comment reflected the reality that many Republicans serving on Capitol Hill are not accustomed to the idea that the legislation they are pushing has a real chance of becoming law, because most of them had held office only while Barack Obama was in the White House.

Amazing.

Even former Senator John Boehner has been saying that they have no chance to successfully repeal and replace the ACA:

”[Congressional Republicans are] going to fix Obamacare — I shouldn't call it repeal-and-replace, because it's not going to happen," he said.

Boehner said the talk in November about lightning-fast passage a new health care framework was wildly optimistic.

”I started laughing," he said. ”Republicans never ever agree on health care."

Get fucked, Republicans.

All those older, low-income white people who voted for Trump weren't expecting a 24% increase in their health insurance under TRUMPCARE.

Too bad many of them won't get a second chance to correct that mistake now.

Donald probably had that as part of his plan all along.

I can't figure out Ryan and the Republican's strategy doing this, but it was never about passing a better health care legislation. All that mattered was that they could say Obamacare was repealed. Sounds like a losing outcome no matter if their bill got through or not, so where were they exactly going with this?
I'm pretty sure Ryan had a raging erection writing that part about the tax cuts for the wealthy and increased costs for the middle and lower class.

He lives for that kind of shit. He's vile and disgusting.

Gruco

Banned
Trump digging in against Obamacare in his rally today.

Dude is going to cut off any possibility of an orderly retreat on this.

You know, because he has no idea what he's talking about. Or doing.

digdug2k

All those older, low-income white people who voted for Trump weren't expecting a 24% increase in their health insurance under TRUMPCARE.

Too bad many of them won't get a second chance to correct that mistake now.

Donald probably had that as part of his plan all along.
They'll keep "fixing" it until they've got something thats more focused on fucking the your/poor.

Iolo

Trump digging in against Obamacare in his rally today.

Dude is going to cut off any possibility of an orderly retreat on this.

You know, because he has no idea what he's talking about. Or doing.

Hm? Trump will be 100% for something one day (or hour) and 100% against it the next. What you can count on is that he's always 100% for Trump, and will do anything he can to dump this on Ryan and the Republicans if this fails.

Vestal

Gold Member
8 years bitching and moaning.

No idea what to do.

It was an impossible fight to begin with.

The hardest thing to do is take something away from the people. The biggest mistake the republicans have made over the last 8 years is push this Repeal nonsense. Its simple their solution to Obamacare takes away something people rely on. The only way republicans can stick to their principals and offer a better option is if they put the economy on over drive, increase minimum wage, raise wages across the board and bring us to a point of "Full employment", even at this Nirvana state they would still have to strip any ideas they have regarding Medicaid.

Cmagus

Who knew that even republican voters want Healthcare if they finally are given it, even if its from a Democrat?

And taking it away isn't going to happen without a fight?

Tom Price is on CNN now doing a town hall for health care and so far everyone is laying into him and calling his bs, people aren't happy.

Vestal

Gold Member
Tom Price is on CNN now doing a town hall for health care and so far everyone is laying into him and calling his bs, people aren't happy.

Girl just beat the shit out of Price right fucking now over Planned Parenthood.

Funny how the most effective way of convincing conservative voters that healthcare is a good thing was giving it to them and then taking it away.

Lemonz

giphy.gif

TyrantII

But the CBO is fake news

Also they'll sweeten the bill somehow (maybe not shit on Medicare) but it'll still be worse than the ACA, in almost every way.

Dems better get ready to filibuster the next 4 years

If the house is the problem, it'll be culling the bill, not sweetening it. The freedom caucus wants government out of healthcare.

Move it right. Pass it. The slaughter in the midterms will be epic, and we will impeach trump.

TyrantII

If this can't even get past the House... There is going to be a lot of bad blood. Particularly if Trump goes off on Twitter, which I imagine is almost a guarantee.

The house is pulling it apocalypse right. The Senate and GOP Governors want a much more moderate (left) bill than Ryan's.

Grab the popcorn

I don't think Dems would support anything thats not just fixes to the ACA ... and they shouldn't

Kinda funny how the GOP made this such a problem for themselves by demonizing it so much. It's almost as if their propaganda machine is working against them for once

I don't really know what the end game is besides passing something minor. But even that will have Freedom Caucus resistance. I just don't know how this ends?

The House and Senate want monstorously different things.

rjinaz

It's funny because it seems like there was a good amount of republicans who didn't like the bill because it didn't go far enough to the right. Push it further to the right and the bigger the public outcry. Push it further to the left and more republicans will oppose it. The republicans are a joke right now.

Yup. There is no room for them to move. It's dead Jim.

Now we just wait for Ryan and Trump to blame the Democrats.

Either they pass their own shitty revised bill or they shred the ACA from the inside out to save face. There's no good outcome.

There are a lot of people, mostly republicans, who truly despise things like medicaid and any "hand outs" towards helping the poor. I've met quite a few people who believe this. They believe the poor choose to be poor from laziness and/or from fraud and wanting to cheat the system. They want their earned money to solely be their own money, and not taxed at all to give any of it to those lazy poors. This type of toxic attitude explains Paul Ryan's "health care plan".
My dad's like that. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to find a job, his money is his money that he worked for and the government shouldn't take so much to help lazy people and Planned Parenthood and illegals

I don't think Dems would support anything thats not just fixes to the ACA ... and they shouldn't

Kinda funny how the GOP made this such a problem for themselves by demonizing it so much. It's almost as if their propaganda machine is working against them for once
Their problem is they demonized the hell out of it even though ACA is almost exactly what President McCain would have passed if he was elected and attempted healthcare reform (leaving some margin of error for minor details but the overall architecture would be the same). ACA is what the establishment GOP wanted, and they probably secretly hoped Clinton would win so they wouldn't have to deal with it for another four years.

Their problem is they demonized the hell out of it even though ACA is almost exactly what President McCain would have passed if he was elected and attempted healthcare reform (leaving some margin of error for minor details but the overall architecture would be the same). ACA is what the establishment GOP wanted, and they probably secretly hoped Clinton would win so they wouldn't have to deal with it for another four years.

Not only that but they could keep campaigning against it.

Briarios

They basically had 8 years to come up with a workable plan, but ... Nah, we'd rather spend our time ragging on Obama, and wait until the night before to craft something like it was an end of term paper. Idiots.

It's funny because it seems like there was a good amount of republicans who didn't like the bill because it didn't go far enough to the right. Push it further to the right and the bigger the public outcry. Push it further to the left and more republicans will oppose it. The republicans are a joke right now.

That's pretty silly though. Dissent is rampant in tons of Republican districts. The GOP can't just throw this to Fox News to spit shine. Trump has been promising affordable health care for all Americans then watches as Ryan stands behind this garbage?

Congress are going to be fighting for their political lives this midterm, under an already very unpopular President. They're going to be screaming long and hard to go Bipartisan.

120v

crazy how this is 2009 all over again but bizarro

unfortunately i think they'll succeed in eking out some shitty bill by next year. they have the majority, the parliamentary tools, and the cost of "doing nothing" is too steep going into midterms. would love to be wrong though

Armaros

That's pretty silly though. Dissent is rampant in tons of Republican districts. The GOP can't just throw this to Fox News to spit shine. Trump has been promising affordable health care for all Americans then watches as Ryan stands behind this garbage?

Congress are going to be fighting for their political lives this midterm, under an already very unpopular President. They're going to be screaming long and hard to go Bipartisan.

And the bill as it is will kill them in the midterms.

The CBO estimates that 14 million would lose healthcare coverage in a YEAR.

They would get to spend that entire time defending why they removed coverage for that many people right when midterm campaigning starts. So they cant even just pass the plan and hope the effects only occur down the line, its going to take effect almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom