• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan: Health care plan must change to pass the House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus1234

They are playing hot-potato with this bill lmao. Trump and Bannon are using the media to pin it on Ryan, while Ryan is coming out ridiculing it and saying "this is your bill Mr President". The utter incompetence of this cabinet is hysterical.

spwolf

I can't figure out Ryan and the Republican's strategy doing this, but it was never about passing a better health care legislation. All that mattered was that they could say Obamacare was repealed. Sounds like a losing outcome no matter if their bill got through or not, so where were they exactly going with this?

it is something that cant be won... US healtcare cost per capita is 2x more than in Germany, and US govt spent same money as German govt to provide healthcare at much higher costs for patients.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita

Since they are not willing to cap the costs by hospitals (they charge 2x more than western european ones), doctors/staff and pharmaceutical companies, there is no good solution be that Obamacare or some crazy republican tax cut.

I spent some time trying to puzzle out what the hell Ryan is doing here and I finally settled on this. He is completely incompetent. He is a shitty small time politician who has managed to constantly fail his way up. He is in over his head.

They are all incompetent. They have all been riding the gravy train of never having to actually legislate its always been winning by demonizing the left and their policies and never having to actually do any work. The GOP have never been good at legislating and the current crop is especially unprepared because most of them were brought in under the stupid tea party wave and their entire premise was to not let Obama get any of what he wanted and that was it. No plan of their own, no agenda, just a no to the democratic president and now that they have all of government they no longer have a boogie man and are being shown for how stupid and worthless they are.

aeolist

Banned
meanwhile the democrats are drooling at the opportunity to work with fascists to destroy american healthcare

C7AE_D_U4AElh4v.jpg

I spent some time trying to puzzle out what the hell Ryan is doing here and I finally settled on this. He is completely incompetent. He is a shitty small time politician who has managed to constantly fail his way up. He is in over his head.

They are incompetent, but it's not just incompetence that drives this bill. The GOP legitimately believe that the people value the dollars in their pockets more than silly healthcare, and the Healthcare industry as it is has to be busted down completely and rebuilt to support anything even approximating Universal healthcare. They also hate Obama, and thought they could pin Obamacare on him then easily repeal it whenever they took back the government.

The problem was, even broken, they let him pass it. Now too many Americans can see clearly that while it may have flaws, it was FAR superior to the big fat nothing they were receiving, especially those with pre-existing conditions (and EVERYONE has a family member with a pre-existing condition). There are also the ones who have something seemingly routine happen to them (like breaking an arm or a leg or appendicitis) than then get slapped with thousands (and in some cases, tens of thousands) of dollars worth of hospital fees.

Now, surprise! This awful bill that the Republicans made sure to tie directly to Obama the American people don't want to give it up, despite the high premiums. Republican could easily take the easy road, add the public option, and be hailed as heroes, but the whole point of the witch hunt was to destroy Obamacare (and Obama's legacy by proxy) keep the pharmaceutical companies in their laps, and throw the poors a few bucks so they'd be happy and anoint the GOP as liberators for banishing the icky Obamacare.

Whoops.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
meanwhile the democrats are drooling at the opportunity to work with fascists to destroy american healthcare

C7AE_D_U4AElh4v.jpg
That's a polite quote before she follows up with "but hell naw tho"

On whether the Democrats could work with President Trump or House Speaker Paul Ryan on health care legislation

We have a responsibility to the American people to find as much common ground as we can. There has to be sincerity, though. ... I don't think he has the faintest idea — the president — about the health care thing.

[But Rep. Paul] Ryan ... is [a] philosophical, right-wing, anti-government [person], and so an act of mercy for him is to reduce the government's role. So we're talking about two different things. They're debating whether it's "Trumpcare" or "Ryancare," but neither of them wants it identified with themselves because it's such a failure in the public mind.

I can't figure out Ryan and the Republican's strategy doing this, but it was never about passing a better health care legislation. All that mattered was that they could say Obamacare was repealed. Sounds like a losing outcome no matter if their bill got through or not, so where were they exactly going with this?

Their strategy is there is no strategy. It seems too hard to believe but, yes, these people are just that stupid. They conjure up fantasies among themselves, get fed fake news and facts to make them believe their policies are logical, obvious and would make everything better. When those policies try to stand up to evidence outside of their little circlejerks, they collapse because they were never based on real evidence nor facts nor reality.

There are a lot of people, mostly republicans, who truly despise things like medicaid and any "hand outs" towards helping the poor. I've met quite a few people who believe this. They believe the poor choose to be poor from laziness and/or from fraud and wanting to cheat the system. They want their earned money to solely be their own money, and not taxed at all to give any of it to those lazy poors. This type of toxic attitude explains Paul Ryan's "health care plan".

What's hilarious about this kind of thinking is that it'll affect them as well, & will then be caught with "Deer in the headlights" looks thinking, "What just happened"?, etc.

It's so amazing how fucked they are in this. The only way for them to pass this with 50 something votes is to classify it as a budgetary bill, an actual replacement plan would require 60 votes. Which is partly why it's a tax cut from the poor to the rich.

Meanwhile the Freedom Caucus wants to fuck over the poor but other House reps and Governors don't want them to fuck over the poor because of the election in 2018. When you're facing these odds and two groups that want very different things, how do you create a bill that pleases both of them?

So I guess what I'm saying is who the fuck knows whats gonna happen with this thing at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom