• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

Draikin 2

Someone needs to do a Valkyria Chronicles Steam mockup. I've already tweeted the Vanquish one to Sega (so did one other person).
Here's my attempt at one (hope I didn't forget to edit something):
valkyria_chronicles_ssiu34.jpg

valkyria_chronicles_svxl4j.jpg

Oh boy, STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS!

Seeing you have a Panzer Dragoon avatar, you should probably do the Panzer Dragoon collection on, heh.

I think some posters here are right and the thread title should replace the word "demand" for "show demand for". As it all boils down to that, showing there is an increasing demand for them.

I wonder if they can put some studio or something to dig up all the old Sega PC ports. That with Vanquish+Bayonetta would be a great start.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't see Sega porting all of these games to PC at once, so I think the best bet would be to gather up a ton of support for the single most likely title (I'd guess Bayonetta.)

Edit: Oh man or Persona 5. Oh man. OH MAN.

Terra_Ex

valkyria_chronicles_ssiu34.jpg

That's the stuff of my dreams.Yet instead of bringing VC to PC, they took to portable land where it promptly died. Did my part and tweeted at sega, they now hold a load of IPs I'd love to see on PC but I'm not expecting them to be receptive to the idea.

I don't see Sega porting all of these games to PC at once, so I think the best bet would be to gather up a ton of support for the single most likely title (I'd guess Bayonetta.)

Yup. I think even Bayonetta + Vanquish would be fine too because they're both Platinum titles and they're already showing interesting Steam.

Asking for too many titles at once makes your voices fall upon deaf ears. Start asking for more games after others have already come over and have been successful.

Nillansan

Edit: Oh man or Persona 5. Oh man. OH MAN.

I wrote a joint petition for Bayonetta and Vanquish a while back, but I never actually went ahead and posted it. I'll post it here later, just in case someone wants to salvage some bits from it.

Sentenza

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm very glad this "campaign" is keeping the request vague instead of focusing on a single title.

I don't want a specific game on PC from Sega. I want their catalogue, their ongoing support for incoming games.
I want to make them aware that "Release this on Steam as well, please" is not going to be a bizarre anecdotal request, from now on, but a persistent general sentiment among many PC users.

Miguel81

Grief, you should make one for Tecmo to port over the Ninja Gaiden games. All these character action games on Steam would be sweet.

Peff

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm very glad this "campaign" is keeping the request vague instead of focusing on a single title.

I don't want a specific game on PC from Sega. I want their catalogue, their ongoing support for incoming games.
I want to make them aware that "Release this on Steam as well, please" is not going to be a bizarre anecdotal request, from now on, but a persistent general sentiment among many PC users.

It's not just about getting the three games people want the most, it's more about what has the most chances of getting the snowball going down the hill. Last year Namco looked with shifty eyes at an internet petition and gave us an extremely low budget release of Dark Souls just in case people would just pirate it. Now they have not only made DSII lead on PC, they've published a Naruto game and even gone back to a failed franchise and funded a PC port.

out of curiosity, how did Valkyria sell in the US vs Japan?

IIRC the US number was close to 200k a couple of years ago, but it was a slow burn, while Japan got to 140.000 and 230.000 counting the re-release. VC2 did something like 30k? in the US.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
out of curiosity, how did Valkyria sell in the US vs Japan?

IIRC it sold relatively well in the US after a terrible launch (in the middle of the holiday season with little promotion). VC2 bombed horribly as far as I know, and in Japan I think it sold similarly to VC1. Ultimately the move to PSP hurt the series since they gained nothing in Japan but lost their western audience.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

It's just asking a lot and isn't promising at all for sales to a company.

If they hear a big campaign of people saying "Give us your games!" they don't know which games are in demand and which aren't so they have nothing solid to present so they can convince someone to allow it to be ported.

If they hear a big campaign of people saying "Give us Bayonetta!" they'll have a huge amount of support for one singular project which they can show and say "This is big, this will be profitable. If they dip their toe in the water and see that PC gaming can be profitable, now they'll have their own internal incentive to port the games to PC.

We all want their whole catalogue. But asking for everything at once is quite the overwhelming request, and a lot to ask for what they perceive to be an unproven market for these games. This results in them disregarding the entire request, where as with a focused game or two they'd be much more likely to say "Huh, Metal Gear Rising is doing well and they're asking for Bayonetta, there's probably a market for this etc etc."

Getting a focused game or two (Bayonetta and Vanquish being the best ideas) on the service and supporting them, showing that they sell, is the best way to get things done. After that it would be much easier to say "Hey guys, look at these other games that could be on PC, we'll support those too just as we did X and Y.

Camp Lo

Banned

If they hear a big campaign of people saying "Give us your games!" they don't know which games are in demand and which aren't so they have nothing solid to present so they can convince someone to allow it to be ported.

If they hear a big campaign of people saying "Give us Bayonetta!" they'll have a huge amount of support for one singular project which they can show and say "This is big, this will be profitable. If they dip their toe in the water and see that PC gaming can be profitable, now they'll have their own internal incentive to port the games to PC.

How do we do this? Preorders? I'd preorder all those games if thats what it takes. I don't know about others but I'm down with putting money where my mouth is.

I don't know how to show them people are serious.

Sentenza

But here's the thing: I don't think that even for them focusing on a single title would be a good strategy.
First, because different people have different tastes, and aiming to a single release to please them all would be like "creating the best tomato sauce in existence" just to learn in the tough way that people have different tastes and opinions about what's the best tomato sauces.
Second, because given how modest the costs can be for a port to PC (putting it in numbers, even few thousands copies would be enough to break even in most cases) I'm frankly of the opinion that a "shotgun approach" where they port several game and hope for at least one to be successful on the platform would work better for them.

In that scenario, even something mildly successful (let's say 200-300K) would probably be enough to cover the costs for several other games.
You never know where the surprising smashing hit can come from, and playing safe doesn't pay off too much here.

Momentary

Banned

You're not the only one. I'm right there with ya.

Like said before, the only thing really uniting us here is that we want these games on PC. Focusing down too much will only fragment and weaken us.

There's a lot of guys who despise Valkyria in the Yakuza fanbase (For being an "unprofitable mess" that diverted resources that could supposedly been spent localizing Yakuza), there's a lot of people in the Valkyria fanbase who despise Sanic (For being the only thing Sega cares about instead of fresh IPs like VC), and there's a lot of people in the Sanic fanbase who despise pretty much anything that isn't Sanic (No explanation necessary.). Keeping everything under one banner all at once prevents our message from getting fragmented by conflicting fanbases caused by Sega's rather wide portfolio.

Sentenza

Even if they port, most ppl here probably will buy it only when it is 90% sale from amazon or steam.
Well, thanks for your contribution.

Worth noting that while a lot of people will buy them when discounted, a lot of other people won't.
And the beauty of digital distribution is precisely that even people buying at discounted price generate additional revenues. For years.

Clawww

Even if they port, most ppl here probably will buy it only when it is 90% sale from amazon or steam.

nah, a lot of these games have very strong fanbases already. rising did very well as a modestly discounted preorder.

and even if people grab it when it's very cheap, that's still money they're making and will continue to make over time, and will be profitable in the long run.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
But here's the thing: I don't think that even for them focusing on a single title would be a good strategy.
First, because different people have different tastes, and aiming to a single release to please them all would be like "creating the best tomato sauce in existence" just to learn in the tough way that people have different tastes and opinions about what's the best tomato sauces.

I mean, this just reads like you think they'd prefer 5 mild failures rather than 1 big success.

They don't neccessarily know that what they choose to port would line up with the PC audiences tastes, but if we showed support for one game, then they WOULD have a reasonable expectation for there to be a lot of support for that singular game which would eventually lead to it being successful.

Second, because given how modest the costs can be for a port to PC (putting it in numbers, even few thousands copies would be enough to break even in most cases) I'm frankly of the opinion that a "shotgun approach" where they port several game and hope for at least one to be successful on the platform would work better for them.

I don't think you or any of us have the figures to actually prove this true or not so it's not really worth speculating.

In that scenario, even something mildly successful (let's say 200-300K) would probably be enough to cover the costs for several other games.
You never know where the surprising smashing hit can come from, and playing safe doesn't pay off too much here.

I don't think they'd be willing to pull multiple teams to port all of these games at once.

It would just be straight up bad business sense when they could just port one and gauge the response. More importantly, it's not something they'll do. No company is going to dive head first porting a bunch of games that range from mildly successful to pretty successful on consoles to PC with the expectations that they'll all post profits.

We don't know how difficult it would be to port them all. THEY don't know how difficult it would be to port them all. We don't know how much it would cost. Compared to the potential risk, a gamble on one game is much smarter and safer than a gamble on 4 or 5.

We'd all prefer that every game everywhere came out on everything, but it won't happen and it wouldn't be a smart idea for Sega anyway. Maybe eventually, but not all at once.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

And if most people is hundreds of thousands or millions of people, then I'm sure they're fine with that. You know that these publishers discount their games on steam voluntarily? You want to know why?

Cause they make fucktons of money off of them. Giant god damn dumptrucks full of cash.

Peff

Imagine all the second-hand copies they wouldn't be able to sell because of low PC prices they set themselves!

kuroshiki

Well, thanks for your contribution.

Worth noting that while a lot of people will buy them when discounted, a lot of other people won't.
And the beauty of digital distribution is precisely that even people buying at discounted price generate additional revenues. For years.

my pleasure.

It really depends whether Sega decided that those 'additional revenue' was worth the price of putting up with front port price. If somebody says I will get the revenues, however small they may be, down the line, but I need to pay $200,000 up front, I would also be considered whether that is a good idea or not.

You're joking, right?

No. Just stating cold bloody facts.

nah, a lot of these games have very strong fanbases already. rising did very well as a modestly discounted preorder.

and even if people grab it when it's very cheap, that's still money they're making and will continue to make over time, and will be profitable in the long run.

Sega and foreign fan bases usually... well do not get along together. They seem to misunderstand each other multiple times over and over again.

For profit issue please see the post above.

And if most people is hundreds of thousands or millions of people, then I'm sure they're fine with that. You know that these publishers discount their games on steam voluntarily? You want to know why?

Cause they make fucktons of money off of them. Giant god damn dumptrucks full of cash.

Don't tell me that. Convince sega that they will make shit ton of money. I mean, they must be full of shitheads that can't calculate at all, right? Teach them math.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Admittedly, this is me.

Really depends on the game though, and the quality of the port, and any enhancements (like proper widescreen in older games, etc). Straight blah ports, especially for games I already own, are not going to make me open my wallet unless they are dirt cheap.

Dario ff

Banned
It's probably worth repeating that the main studio they used for porting their last two games (Sonic Generations and Binary Domain) is currently dormant and not taking any work anymore as I stated before from their e-mail.

The bigger issue with porting their back-catalogue other than the Platinum Games stuff is probably finding who'd do it for cheap for reducing the risk. Blit Software did the port for Sonic CD (ported from 360 instead of the native PC version Taxman did because lolsega) and Jet Set Radio, which are considerably lower scale titles than the two RPGs mentioned here. And I'm not sure how much work the indie studio that did HOTD: Overkill can do.

The plan of focusing on the PG titles is mostly because they would likely want to do the work themselves properly.

kuroshiki

Admittedly, this is me.

Really depends on the game though, and the quality of the port, and any enhancements (like proper widescreen in older games, etc). Straight blah ports, especially for games I already own, are not going to make me open my wallet unless they are dirt cheap.

There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING wrong with buying the game 90% or more off.

Sentenza

I mean, this just reads like you think they'd prefer 5 mild failures rather than 1 big success.
I doubt you can have "big success" with very late ports, for a start. Solid performers is a realistic expectation, though.

They don't neccessarily know that what they choose to port would line up with the PC audiences tastes, but if we showed support for one game, then they WOULD have a reasonable expectation for there to be a lot of support for that singular game which would eventually lead to it being successful.
But as I said, and as CertifiedFP put even better, I don't want one specific game. I'm mildly interested in several of them. i would pay for several of them, but I won't cry or beg to have any of it, specifically.

I don't think you or any of us have the figures to actually prove this true or not so it's not really worth speculating.
Several across the years, actually. With developers occasionally being even specific about the work involved.

I don't think they'd be willing to pull multiple teams to port all of these games at once.
Who said anything about doing all them at once?
That's not what I asked for. What I'm asking is "Please, consider it a viable option for everything. Don't think about PC ports like some exotic thing to do every now and then".

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I doubt you can have "big success" with very late ports, for a start. Solid performers is a realistic expectation, though.

But as I said, and as CertifiedFP put even better, I don't want one specific game. I'm mildly interested in several of them. i would pay for several of them, but I won't cry or beg to have any of it, specifically.

Several across the years, actually. With developers occasionally being even specific about the work involved.

Who said anything about doing all them at once?
That's not what I asked for. What I'm asking is "Please, consider it a viable option for everything. Don't think about PC ports like some exotic thing to do every now and then".

If the crux of your argument is just "Do PC ports of all these games eventually" then I'm pretty sure they already know that there's at least some people who want them all.

Regardless of if you want one specific game or not, the way to get the many games is through one specific game.

Look how we got Injustice and King of Fighers. Mortal Kombat.

Look how we're getting Dark Souls II. Dark Souls: PTDE

I wouldn't be surprised if Revengeance and Enslaved coming to PC were a result of Dark Souls as well.

They need a game as a test bed. If there's demand for a game that they can test with and theres a success, that's when they'll port others.

Edit: Also could you post a link to some of the port data?

valkyria chronicles, bayonetta and vanquish would be nice. they can keep the dreamcast games though

i'd pay for those the same i paid for metal gear rising

also itt: buttmad console gamers

antitrop

Grief, you should make one for Tecmo to port over the Ninja Gaiden games. All these character action games on Steam would be sweet.

Steam really does need more character action games so badly. At least I'll be able to get my fill of Rising, soon.

antitrop

If the crux of your argument is just "Do PC ports of all these games eventually" then I'm pretty sure they already know that there's at least some people who want them all.

Regardless of if you want one specific game or not, the way to get the many games is through one specific game.

Look how we got Injustice and King of Fighers. Mortal Kombat.

Look how we're getting Dark Souls II. Dark Souls: PTDE

I wouldn't be surprised if Revengeance and Enslaved coming to PC were a result of Dark Souls as well.

They need a game as a test bed. If there's demand for a game that they can test with and theres a success, that's when they'll port others.
I assume the success of MK9 also gave way to Injustice.

Top Bottom