• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
New Stormland trailer. Damn, I might cave and buy this at launch (while still waiting for a Lone Echo sale, ha).

Stormland features drop-in, drop-out two-player co-op throughout the entire story campaign and ongoing play so that you can experience everything in the game by yourself or with a friend. We make it easy for players to work together in-game, too; you can warp to them at any time, revive them if an enemy downs them, and coordinate movements by placing way points for each other on a shared 3D map.

Last edited:

Alexios

So this is out in early access. Pretty cheap too.

Promising first impressions. A small scale game with a singular purpose, fun combat and progression rather than a pretense of story or deeper interactions (apparently there's next to nothing in the game outside the combat encounters), but one that it seemingly does well.
Until You Fall successfully fuses VR sword combat with meta-game elements in a way that no other VR title has yet managed. The game’s physical combat is underscored with a sense of deliberate strategy that can change from one encounter to the next. With deep and interesting combat, it’s almost a shame that the game isn’t more expansive in terms of its environments and overall scope, but fortunately what’s here feels really good and stands on its own.

Last edited:

Alexios

More Espire 1 gameplay from random tubers. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Release date confirmed for September 24. Please be good. And yay for mainstream(ish?) non VR media coverage.
Edit: Ah, you also get a free copy of Killing Floor: Incursion when you pre-purchase this. Neat.

Last edited:

Alexios

6 new free songs and the custom color picker included!

Knch

The kickstarter is now live!
And it's in Canadian rupees, thus very cheap for just about anyone.

Alexios

Rush got an update with a new track and stuff.

Last edited:

Alexios

Kind of painful to watch the guy fumble around or idle doing nothing and have the motion sickness vignette aid enabled on top but the game looks good and more organic than the last one.

Hopefully the teleport will be made into a spell or whatever in-theme looking thing, maybe something like In Death's teleport arrow and teleport shard, rather than the out of place GUI it is too.

Last edited:

Galaed27310

Neo Member
I am currently building my PC slowly but surely as money comes in and my huge preference was VR usability. I am so looking forward to having VR and a PC combo. In the meantime maybe I should get the VR for my Playstation 4... any thoughts?

Romulus

I am currently building my PC slowly but surely as money comes in and my huge preference was VR usability. I am so looking forward to having VR and a PC combo. In the meantime maybe I should get the VR for my Playstation 4... any thoughts?

It's cheap and has tracking/controller flaws but the headset punches adove its price point in a few ways, comfort, minimal SDF, and 120hz.
Its keep me from upgrading to pcvr until I try ps5 vr but that's just in my case. All the newer hmds are way better on pcvr.
I would say get it the exclusives speak to you then sell it later. It does have some really good games along with Iron Man and Golem coming this year.

Galaed27310

Neo Member
It's cheap and has tracking/controller flaws but the headset punches adove its price point in a few ways, comfort, minimal SDF, and 120hz.
Its keep me from upgrading to pcvr until I try ps5 vr but that's just in my case. All the newer hmds are way better on pcvr.
I would say get it the exclusives speak to you then sell it later. It does have some really good games along with Iron Man and Golem coming this year.
Thanks for the info, will definitely try it now

Alexios

So this update finally re-adds all the maps they used to have before the visuals overhaul, adds different time of day variants for maps that never had that before, and adds one more new map. All around cool stuff. Onward is great.

Last edited:

Alexios

VRHeadsetsSteam_Aug-2019-G.png

Alexios

Plus this is out, seems fun, still not the seamless Pirates!-like sailing game you want.

Last edited:

Alexios

So, Vive Cosmos appears to be a slightly higher resolution Oculus Rift S (2880x1700 vs 2560x1440) sold for around $700.
It also supports the existing Vive wireless kit and will later get an optional face plate add-on for the HMD to support the lighthouse tracking instead.

I think they should match the Rift S price to get people interested, then Oculus could do a needed price cut. Right now they both charge a premium. Both companies got rid of costly stuff like base stations/trackers but sell the kits at equal prices just for the years late modest resolution bump.

Last edited:

Alexios

Mini VR STALKER new teaser? 0_0

Ooooooold trailer (since if you just watch the new teaser you don't see the connection to the game I liken it to):

Last edited:

Alexios

So this (several months old trailer).

Is coming "soon" as the dev said on Sept 13.
BlueberryBandit said:
specific release date is not currently set, but it is coming soon so it won't be too long of a wait

Hope it's cool. Melee isn't physics based but requires technique, not waggling and the spell casting is inspired by Lichdom: Battlemage. Games like Dark Souls & Dark Messiah are also cited as inspirations (duh). Of course as these indie things go it's a procedurally generated dungeon romp.

Last edited:

scalman

If first time enter to VR world and if pc its only gtx 1060 6gb laptop with i7 is it worth it on those specs. I saw how low res you need to go for game like no mans sky on those specs and im kinda woried.
Or go for psvr on ps4 pro better.
Is psvr is ok used on pc as well on games and virtual desktop stuff. ?

bloomorte

If first time enter to VR world and if pc its only gtx 1060 6gb laptop with i7 is it worth it on those specs. I saw how low res you need to go for game like no mans sky on those specs and im kinda woried.
PSVR on PC was a bad experience for me. Maybe there's a better way to set it up, but for me I was never at the center of the screen and the delay was breaking the immersion.

Wonko_C

Don't take my word for it but apparently No Man's Sky on PC just needed more time to iron out the performance issues. Having those specs no way it should run worse than the game running on a PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

scalman

well i saw guy playing no mans sky VR on gtx 1060 with pculus and like having 480p resolution only because to keep fps.
so other games on let say Oculus with GTX 1060 will run ok , even those that are not made for VR but i will make them with some mods and apps there ? would like to go to VR world cheap and for now PSVr sure its cheapest way , but that older Oculus is not so more expencive used too. i so want to go to VR world but i think i will get bored soon , because i want real games on it , not some funny games made to play like 15min on VR.

how movies are on VR like normal movies on virtual dekstop ? is it much worse then looking it on normal 1080p HDTV in room ?

Alexios

Get an Oculus if that's your only/most affordable serious PC VR option, either the original set with a 3rd sensor for 360 degree VR or the newer S. I'd say Oculus have an equal amount of worthwhile exclusives as PSVR, you just don't hear of them from the console centric media of today. Games like Lone Echo (and hopefully the coming Stormland) are VR showcases second to none and other smaller productions like Journey of the Gods are more than worth playing as well. Of course they're fully playable with other PC VR sets as well thanks to fan software like Revive (but they're mostly only great with a Valve Index, or at least its controllers, which match the Oculus Touch layout far more closely than the Vive wands). Overall there are tons more PC VR games than there are PSVR games while some like SUPERHOT VR, Apex Constuct and Space Junkies might be available on PSVR as well but they play far better with the 1:1 hand tracking and 360 degree VR most PC VR kits offer making them almost completely different experiences. You're right in that many VR games are short (or multiplayer focused like all the PVP FPS like Contractors VR & Echo Combat), but I wouldn't say they are 15 minute casual gaming breaks, they can be normal meaty serious games, it's just that the single player aspects often only last for 5 or 10 hours rather than 20 or 100 hours as in some of the larger console games. There are also lots of rogue-lites you can play longer or all the arena/wave games like Blade & Sorcery that are fun for a long time if you find yourself investing in their simulations or simply end up liking them enough to do that. And all the potentially longer VR-compatible cockpit based non-VR games like Dirt Rally 1 & 2 or Elite Dangerous and End Space.

Definitely don't get VR just for NMS though and definitely get accustomed to VR inner workings and common control schemes before delving in such a game to avoid problems. If you get an Oculus their First Contact tutorial will get you sorted, otherwise free games/demos like The Lab will do.

Last edited:

Alexios

What a pleasant surprise, then. Against all odds, Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son nestles itself neatly amongst the growing number of VR titles that marry compelling, involving narrative with thoughtful interactivity. It’s a game with a welcome amount of heart, refusing to settle for the usual standards of tie-in media. Dare I say it, it’s even a worthy follow-up to a movie you’d have thought best left untouched. Bravo.
Hmmm, still not sure about this, seems like a Telltale style game with some pretty restricted scenes.

Last edited:

Alexios

This is looking pretty sweet, well realized with enough twists to differentiate it from other stealth action games like Espire 1 (outside potential quality).

Last edited:

Alexios

Some gifs from Panther VR's kickstarter page.
d26e82a4dcc9f23585f9b0fbd8f59628_original.gif

3c14920b7361537817b8e93652a267a9_original.gif

934d407dc8d86851db4a73b9eac58e1d_original.gif

06f02e25f86272d2a7bfe4a0843158c2_original.gif

e778d62463f7ee822b628307964631fb_original.gif

7c79fb7e00ec505fbceff4b7a0e61875_original.gif

a2e6119d3244aab098a5733da99fade0_original.gif

Lots of details on there. It seems really well thought out. Some of its goals aren't what I'd like to see but they may work for what they want to do. If I was shown the footage and information I could easily believe someone telling me it's some stylized Ubisoft Splinter Cell VR, not another indie thing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom