• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That Tea for God thing is pretty cool, I didn't realize it was a room scale only game, I thought it would have regular locomotion, but you physically move everywhere as each area twists and turns into the next one so that walking in your play area feels like going through a larger space. Like this:

My play area is super tiny actually, I call it standing VR rather than room scale at this point, but it worked still. Rooms were super cramped obviously, I was constantly almost pivoting in place to turn into the next area over and over and over, but it was still pretty cool that the game adjusted down to that size fully. So yeah it's basically like Unseen Diplomacy which is still rare to see done in VR despite that dating all the way back to 2016 and I haven't actually played it or any other like it myself before this one. I wish I had a room fit for full room scale to make such experiences more immersing.

Last edited:

Alexios

I did think this game was nice but not nice enough to put up with the performance issues it had for what was essentially small puzzle rooms. Maybe it's fixed!

Last edited:

Alexios

Played the Vertigo 2 demo yesterday. It seems pretty decent, though also a bit weird. It's like a Half-Life style action adventure but as a parody rather than a serious story. The guns can feel weird and the finger tracking was finicky on Oculus Touch, the gestures didn't considently work as they should, though it didn't affect gameplay. Most of the early enemies didn't put up much of a fight and were boring but some weapon wielding robots proved enough of a threat so it gets better.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the Samsung Odyssey+ is $299 direct or through Amazon right now. I don't know if that's a permanent price drop, but it was $499. For anybody who has held off on jumping into PC VR due to cost, this headset is an absolute steal at this price. The pixel smoothing or anti-screen door effect or whatever it is they call it is fantastic. I've owned or played around with quite a few headsets including Vive Pro, Rift, and Rift S. I prefer the Odyssey+ image over all of them. Before I bought mine awhile back, I saw a lot of complaints about comfort and light leakage. Maybe I have an oddly shaped head, but I had no issues. I wear glasses and had no issues there, either. I bought prescription lenses from VR Optician not too long ago, though. They were about $75 with shipping and fit perfectly. Honestly, if I were to try my best to objectively rate this headset vs any of the others I've owned or tried, it would come out roughly even or slightly ahead overall in every case.

JCK75

I just noticed that the Samsung Odyssey+ is $299 direct or through Amazon right now. I don't know if that's a permanent price drop, but it was $499. For anybody who has held off on jumping into PC VR due to cost, this headset is an absolute steal at this price. The pixel smoothing or anti-screen door effect or whatever it is they call it is fantastic. I've owned or played around with quite a few headsets including Vive Pro, Rift, and Rift S. I prefer the Odyssey+ image over all of them. Before I bought mine awhile back, I saw a lot of complaints about comfort and light leakage. Maybe I have an oddly shaped head, but I had no issues. I wear glasses and had no issues there, either. I bought prescription lenses from VR Optician not too long ago, though. They were about $75 with shipping and fit perfectly. Honestly, if I were to try my best to objectively rate this headset vs any of the others I've owned or tried, it would come out roughly even or slightly ahead overall in every case.

I have vive and love it but I'm jumping on this purely because the price is nuts and I love the idea of having something I can take between machines without having to hook up sensors.. I have gaming machines at work, a VR ready laptop in my living room, this is the perfect solution.

Alexios

So Space Junkies is getting non VR compatibility.
I'm not sure if the game has much to offer if you're gonna be playing it with standard mouse controls, it's just a simple deathmatch style FPS with a couple different modes and cosmetics to unlock as you gain points online, although the zero gravity environment might make it novel enough for some. On the other hand I think mouse and keyboard players will dominate the leaderboards. It's one thing to have to aim your weapons manually and another to just point and click as you've been learning to do for decades. Though many (but not all) of the weapons have actual crosshair visors to look through so you don't exactly need skill to aim I think it still makes a difference. In the fun factor too. Then again PSVR players already cross-play it with standard dual shock 4 controls vs the hand tracking on PC VR so there's that, now there's a 3rd vastly different control scheme in play. We'll see how it is and if they've made any balance changes or if it will help the game gain players.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
This looks way too good to be true haha :D

Amazon launches Prime Video VR for Oculus Go, Quest, and Gear VR

I hope stuff like this becomes more common. And they should offer 3D movies because they look awesome in VR.

Oh btw Google needs to fix their fucking YouTube app on Steam. It's a flickering shitshow.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

OpenXR_SolvingFragmentation-1024x570.png

mango drank

I just noticed that the Samsung Odyssey+ is $299 direct or through Amazon right now. I don't know if that's a permanent price drop, but it was $499. For anybody who has held off on jumping into PC VR due to cost, this headset is an absolute steal at this price.

I wonder if they're releasing a new version (O++?) this year. The original Odyssey came out at the end of 2017, the O+ came out in October of last year, and here we are in 2019, almost in August. I wonder if Samsung is getting enough ROI out of the Odyssey to keep iterating on it yearly.

Alexios

This could be decent (but it's pvp only so not quite my thing).

Last edited:

Alexios

Gameplay of Until You Fall. I like seeing all these different takes on melee combat, from physics driven simulations like Blade & Sorcery to gamey stuff like this.

This almost reminds me of Red Steel 2, though iirc that had a more intuitive/subtle way of showing you the enemy's combo directions to block, not just a HUD.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cringe video but nice concept (for any wireless VR).

Not something I'd ever get but yeah. Maybe it'd also help people with some disabilities play effectively.

And yeah this finally becomes reality xD
Edit: that said, it's same old standing/room scale VR with the effortless bouncing around he does in the gameplay parts rather than a new actual locomotion method so I don't see the comparison to the treadmills which let you travel long ingame distances with immersing physical movement while remaining in place. But yeah it could be fun in games with a lot of 360 on the spot movement like the archery game he uses as a demo. Plus like I said maybe it can help people with muscle atrophies and things like that play normal standing/room scale VR applications.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

We will never get Mario Kart Arcade GP VR for PC or Console so this is probably the best similar thing we will ever get.

Alexios

Damn, Sony bought Insomniac Games. Stormland is still scheduled for Oculus this holiday but the future of PC VR past that is going to be a little bit poorer without these guys :(

This came out of nowhere. Releases tomorrow on various platforms (Steam, Oculus, wherever) and location VR arcades.

This continues to look eh.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

It's going to anger me if sony doesn't use imsomniac to make VR Ratchet & Clank and keeps them pumping out flat Spiderman sequels.

Alexios

Gonna play the Westworld thing later once it downloads, sad it's another short experience and I'm not even a fan of the show but it looks pretty well made and I don't have much time for games at the moment anyway so it'll do.

Romulus

Damn, Sony bought Insomniac Games. Stormland is still scheduled for Oculus this holiday but the future of PC VR past that is going to be a little bit poorer without these guys :(

This came out of nowhere. Releases tomorrow on various platforms (Steam, Oculus, wherever) and location VR arcades.

This continues to look eh.

I think we'll still see PC VR games from insomniac.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Knch

Alexios

Trying out Racket Fury. I haven't played table tennis irl in ages but this feels really close to the real thing except for being way too easy to overshoot.

It's surreal initially with how it's so real in feel yet clearly not in looks with the sci fi robots and all (well, game graphics would betray it without robots too).

There's another VR table tennis game called Eleven that appears to be going for more realism but it seems to be in dire need of solo content and an upgrade as the AI is tied to framerate which messes up on any set deviating from the expected and the work around is to try different fps settings in-game or whatever. An overhaul is being worked on but for now if you want table tennis in VR I'd go for Racket Fury. Even though it started (?) as a low-end VR Oculus Go game!

I've tried First Person Tennis and found it's easy to overshoot there too. Maybe in VR you can strike things fast without needing the power? Or I need practice.

Trying out Racket Fury. I haven't played table tennis irl in ages but this feels really close to the real thing except for being way too easy to overshoot.

It's surreal initially with how it's so real in feel yet clearly not in looks with the sci fi robots and all (well, game graphics would betray it without robots too).

There's another VR table tennis game called Eleven that appears to be going for more realism but it seems to be in dire need of solo content and an upgrade as the AI is tied to framerate which messes up on any set deviating from the expected and the work around is to try different fps settings in-game or whatever. An overhaul is being worked on but for now if you want table tennis in VR I'd go for Racket Fury. Even though it started (?) as a low-end VR Oculus Go game!

I've tried First Person Tennis and found it's easy to overshoot there too. Maybe in VR you can strike things fast without needing the power? Or I need practice.

Those robots will fuck you up, if you try the higher difficulties... never knew i could become this hateful against a fucking AI XD

Top Bottom