• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena Gamechariot Videos!

There probably is an extensive story mode for the home console version that isn't very suitable for an arcade game. I guess that's where this comes from.

In multiple Japanese interviews with the developers, they state that the story mode for this game is far beyond the scope of any story mode they've done for previous games.

That should be a pretty big indication right there.

Busaiku

You know, Elizabeth's inclusion itself is probably huge, huge, huge Persona 3 spoilers, so from the onset, people should expect it.

Solune

In multiple Japanese interviews with the developers, they state that the story mode for this game is far beyond the scope of any story mode they've done for previous games.

Story mode of what type of games? Fighting games or Persona games? It's quite a vague statement.

I weep for those who haven't played P4.

Seriously.

The fuck is wrong with you? Do you hate fun?

Imma go to your house and eject P4:Arena and break that shit in front of you. I know who you are.

FSTEAK, MOTHERFUCKER

/secretfsteakfistbump

Story mode of what type of games? Fighting games or Persona games? It's quite a vague statement.

Fighting games. It's going to be good, hopefully like, MK9 level of smoothness.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Probably means more visual novel paths than blazblue

I weep for those who haven't played P4.

Seriously.

The fuck is wrong with you? Do you hate fun?

Imma go to your house and eject P4:Arena and break that shit in front of you. I know who you are.

FSTEAK, MOTHERFUCKER

I don't like turn based RPGs

best I'll do is watch the anime leading up to release

......maybe

Play BlazBlue.
It's got like 30 hours of story mode or something.

As for P4A, I don't really care how long it is as long as the quality is top notch. From what I remember of the very little of BB that I played, it had a cool way of going about story mode. MK9, in all of it's stupid Saturday morning cartoon glory, is still the smoothest.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MK9's story mode was also probably the most expensive and time consuming to develop by a large margin.

I mean it's cool but not the game changer everyone made it out to be. I honestly don't expect, or want other fighting game developers to spend their much more limited time and resources towards something like that.

Omikaru

Excellent. Just makes the wait for this even harder now. :(

Oh and "far beyond" isn't what they implied.
They said like around BlazBlue level, maybe more.

Not in the interview from Gemaga (I believe it was Gemaga).

They specifically say that there is for more content in the story than they are used to working with.

I don't have the magazine in front of me, but the developers being interviewed were surprised. No clue if that interview was ever translated or what.

MechaX

You know what? Bring it up with a mod. Game is 4 years old, this is its sequel, and I see no reason why P4 needs spoiler tags here in this thread. If someone wants to avoid P4 spoilers, then avoid P4 related threads, simple as that.

I haven't played ME3, and I plan to. I haven't gone into any EA/ME3 related thread to avoid spoilers. Enter at your own discretion.

I ended up bringing it up to duckroll. You are indeed correct about the assumption of risk when it comes to something like entering a ME3 topic (or a similar franchise series). But P4U seems to be a slightly different scenario. Duckroll had this to say;

duckroll said:
This is a good question, and a valid concern. I've discussed this with other mods, and I think in this case, it is clear that Persona 4 Arena is a different genre and a possible gateway for fans into the series who might not have played the previous game. While it is a sequel of sorts, I don't think it would be fair to have unmarked spoilers for no reason either.

So the policy on this would be that spoilers for previous games should be marked clearly if someone wants to discuss plot points, but at the same time, we should realize that not everyone is malicious with this. So if something that's unmarked, it would be good to:

a) not quote that unmarked spoiler

b) advise the person to mark the spoiler before someone who might not want to see it, sees it.

If you want to share this with people posting in the P4A threads, that would be good too.

As for other multi-game franchises, I don't think it directly applies to every franchise. Some games expect that someone who is playing the current game knows about all the major events in the previous games - either through a summary in the game, or from having played those games themselves. An example would be Mass Effect. Hence in a Mass Effect 3 thread, unmarked spoilers for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 wouldn't be in bad faith, because it is hard to argue that someone playing Mass Effect 3 is trying to avoid spoilers for the first two games.

I hope that helps define some kind of mod stance to this kind of situation, at least in regards to scenarios where the sequel end up switching genres (or as Nich implied, are seemingly used as entry points in their own right).

Netto-kun

Screens from console version story mode.

http://andriasang.com/con0qo/p4_arena_modes_story/

The other screens show scenes from the story mode. When you start off the game, you'll have access to four characters: the main character, Chie, Yosuke and Yukiko. Other characters will be unlocked as you play. The main character's story begins with a reunion with his friends and family.

jfkethMk0ZCz6.jpg
jbzcPvRMqRIp66.jpg
jnqP60cI5hErz.jpg
jbnkjCNGe2SPF.jpg
j2hoUF7HStbkz.jpg
jbaPgy5a71Phmf.jpg
jVARCf305KWcW.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy shit, continuation of Persona 4's story !!??

OH LORD UP HIGH LET THERE BE PLENTY OF GIANTBOMB COVERAGE FOR THIS !!

Chavelo

Persona 4 continuation?
Lesson mode?
By Arc?

OH GOD... WE'RE GETTING A BB-QUALITY TRAINING AND STORY MODE.

DAT MAIN MENU
DAT ART
DAT CHARLIE TUNOKU

SEXUAL STEAK IS ALL AROUND ME YUM YUM YUM

Those screens look fantastic! :D

Looks like this game is going to have the Challenge mode that BlazBlue has.

Yay for more tutorials in Fighting Games! :D

I saw it was discovered that Akihiko got an infinite

Well for what it is worth, it is an infinite blockstring not an infinite combo...and the (rumored) patch that is (supposedly) coming out in May will more than likely fix it.

Also

CHIE'S ROOM

23wo5.jpg

Tutorials are standard now. It's a matter of if the tutorials are bad like MvC3 or good like BB.

See, in my opinion that shit they put in MvC3 and SF4 isn't a tutorial at all, just crappy trials for trials' sake.

I should've said "Yay for Fighting Game tutorials that are actually good" :)

Those screens look fantastic! :D

Looks like this game is going to have the Challenge mode that BlazBlue has.

Yay for more tutorials in Fighting Games! :D

Well for what it is worth, it is an infinite blockstring not an infinite combo...and the (rumored) patch that is (supposedly) coming out in May will more than likely fix it.

Also

CHIE'S ROOM

23wo5.jpg

What's up girl?!

Is that a Bruce Lee poster in there? hnnnnnnng.jpg

See, in my opinion that shit they put in MvC3 and SF4 isn't a tutorial at all, just crappy trials for trials' sake.

I should've said "Yay for Fighting Game tutorials that are actually good" :)

Well, yeah, that's what Capcom's Trial Modes are for. They're the fighting game equivalent of puzzles, they're not meant to teach you anything.

On topic: I AM FERVENTLY ANTICIPATING THE RELEASE OF THIS GAME.
I wish I had decided to import it first, but I'll just have to find a way to cope until the English version drops. It's gonna be so awesome.

Persona 4 continuation?
Lesson mode?
By Arc?

OH GOD... WE'RE GETTING A BB-QUALITY TRAINING AND STORY MODE.

DAT MAIN MENU
DAT ART
DAT CHARLIE TUNOKU

SEXUAL STEAK IS ALL AROUND ME YUM YUM YUM
Indeed

I've been following P4U quietly for a while now. It looks like they are gonna ram this game full of content rivaling that of Extend. This game is shaping up to be one of the better fighters of the year if the online play is up to par and they continually update it with DLC characters... that are slightly cheaper than the ones in BlazBlue. This Summer is gonna be awesome.

Man I don't even play fighting games much anymore (I only play Melty Blood Act Cadenza and Actress Again). But as a HUGE P4 fan, this game will be got.

Fuck now I gotta listen to the OST again

SUPARSTARX

Yeah, they're hella gonna get a lot of non-fighting game players in just because it's Persona. This is like SF4 all over but for anime fighters!

Top Bottom