• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Dance Revealed [Trailer]

I was talking to some friends who are all female gamers, and between sweeping FeMC under the rug, the directors comments that P4's story 'needed' a male MC and how poorly P5 treats Ann, the general feeling among them is that it's becoming harder and harder to feel that Persona isn't actively hostile to fans who aren't male otakus

They didn't exactly put their best foot forward with forced romance in P3 (which they admitted was because they couldn't imagine friendship with a girl) and like most of P4's content.

Because Persona Q, like Ultimax, is canon to the Persona storyline so there's no reason to mention her at all.

It had Theo and time travel.

Opa-Pa

Almost everything regarding female characters in modern Persona is stupid EXCEPT FeMC, so it's really frustrating that she isn't canon and that they refuse to ever try having one again.

Like, I get why she's not in Arena, but geez. The rest of the spinoffs are so silly they should just not be canon to both stop further ruining the original stories and to be able to have fun stuff like FeMC back.
She's so much better than that tool.

Kthulhu

Sorry if this has already been pointed out, but...

20507804_1427550787325019_4234738509803716228_o.jpg

It's just too close to be a coincidence.

Give me P4D's aesthetic and style with a completely different rhythm game system and I'm in. P4D was awesome except when you actually played the game.

1upsuper

I'm definitely looking forward to these, but at the same time I never actually picked up P4DAN. I probably should though. When it came out I had lots of rhythm games to play.

Dissapointed in no Switch versions but atleast both games are coming to Vita. I'll likely never play a Persona game on a tv after P5 again since I just can't deal with it (playing tv games give me extreme pain due to various body problems), so glad to have portable versions of all the games announced today.

I do hope these are sequels since I always like those. P3 doesn't seem to be. Maybe P5 is. The palace featured looked familiar, but I think its a new palace and seemed like it had a new anime cutscene in the trailer.

Can't wait to dance all night to Rivers in the Desert. Will be great.

Neither of those names are as good as Dancing All Night tbh

---

Because they're doing all the models for P3 characters, chances of some kind of remake? Have only played 5 and would like to go backwards but I'm not getting my PS2 out of the closet lol

Opa-Pa

Neither of those names are as good as Dancing All Night tbh

---

Because they're doing all the models for P3 characters, chances of some kind of remake? Have only played 5 and would like to go backwards but I'm not getting my PS2 out of the closet lol

I mean, they made P4 ones for DAN too and it didn't mean anything. I think that's just wishful thinking.

A full remake of 3 (or 4) would be a huge waste of resources and would basically be pointless now that P5 improved dungeon gameplay so much. They'd have to change a lot of stuff in the older games, especially 3, for it to be on the same level as 5 and it probably wouldn't be worth it as it'd delay production of P6 a lot.

They didn't exactly put their best foot forward with forced romance in P3 (which they admitted was because they couldn't imagine friendship with a girl) and like most of P4's content.

Oh fucking hell, I had forgotten about the forced romances in P3. And did they seriously say they couldn't imagine platonic friendships?? Jesus fucking christ, Persona.

Also, while we're on the topic of female characters the series dropped like a hot potato, who is the bigger black sheep of modern Persona? FeMC or Metis?

1upsuper

Oh fucking hell, I had forgotten about the forced romances in P3. And did they seriously say they couldn't imagine platonic friendships?? Jesus fucking christ, Persona.

Also, while we're on the topic of female characters the series dropped like a hot potato, who is the bigger black sheep of modern Persona? FeMC or Metis?

I mean they basically got rid of one when they added the other so...both?

And yeah, Persona had some serious growing pains and it still has a long ways to go.

I mean, they made P4 ones for DAN too and it didn't mean anything. I think that's just wishful thinking.

A full remake of 3 (or 4) would be a huge waste of resources and would basically be pointless now that P5 improved dungeon gameplay so much. They'd have to change a lot of stuff in the older games, especially 3, for it to be on the same level as 5 and it probably wouldn't be worth it as it'd delay production of P6 a lot.

Tbh I feel like Atlus would make a lot of money from a P3 Remake.

Plus I believe Saga doesn't mind the milking as well as I lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Some of you folks are talking as if Persona games have always treated female characters badly or something like that (because of the Persona 3 FeMC?), while the truth is:

1. Aigis is arguably the biggest star of all the cast of characters in P3, and she even became the lead in the game's concluding finale in The Answer.
2. In The Answer, all the important players are females: Aigis, Yukari, Mitsuru, Metis. Practically all the plot points in the Answer revolved around these four while the guys were just basically decoration.
3. In Persona 4, the one who basically leads the entire team was Naoto. Sure, the MC was the leader but Naoto played a huge part as well.
4. The same in Persona 5, many of the characters that took charge for the whole plot are females like Makoto, Sae. In fact, just like the Answer, with the exception of Morgana, the guy characters were basically just there and not a significant contributor to the plot.

Well, that's how I see it, anyways. Of course things could be improved and yes sometimes the games treated female characters in less than ideal portrayals (like the costumes, the bath scenes in P4/P4G, ugh), but overall I think they're pretty okay.

Opa-Pa

Laughing banana I don't think you're wrong but I feel like for every positive point about their female characters there are two awful ones, especially with low key fetishy characters like Aigis and Mitsuru.

Persona isn't the worst in the industry and definitely gets stuff right at times, but it's still ridiculously juvenile for a series that tackles the themes it does.

Tbh I feel like Atlus would make a lot of money from a P3 Remake.

Plus I believe Saga doesn't mind the milking as well as I lol.

I don't doubt it'd do great, but as much as Atlus loves milking Persona, they always ensure they put out quality games as well and I don't think they'd be happy with a P3 remake unless it was as good or better mechanically than P5 and that would take so much work (including messing with the story, as having ONLY Tartarus again probably wouldn't fly with a lot of players after P4 and especially 5) that they might as well just make P6 instead.

IMO a regular P4G-like remaster is far more likely.

Persona appeals to female otakus as well.

So yaoi baiting somehow lessens the damage of bad treatment of female characters then?...

Defuser

You know instead of asking for a P3 remake you should be asking for a P3 sequel considering what Elizabeth is trying to do.

1upsuper

You know instead of asking for a P3 remake you should be asking for a P3 sequel considering what Elizabeth is trying to do.

I'm hoping they just
resolve that whole thing in a tiny corner of an obscure canon work to justify a sequel.

If something would actually come out of that, which I doubt to begin with, the circumstances would be so far removed from P3 that I don't think it'd actually be much of a sequel. I mean, Elizabeth considered recruiting Aigis mostly because she's the only related character who'd plausibly live long enough to see it through.

Yeah pretty much.

You should see how much females especially gush over the male protagonists of 3,4,and 5.

I saw the live concert stream, when Minato and Joker appeared the fangirls tore the roof off lol.

In many ways it reminded me of the Tales festival.

So yaoi baiting somehow lessens the damage of bad treatment of female characters then?...

I'm saying it's not just male otakus that they appeal to.

Laughing banana I don't think you're wrong but I feel like for every positive point about their female characters there are two awful ones, especially with low key fetishy characters like Aigis and Mitsuru.

Persona isn't the worst in the industry and definitely gets stuff right at times, but it's still ridiculously juvenile for a series that tackles the themes it does.

I don't doubt it'd do great, but as much as Atlus loves milking Persona, they always ensure they put out quality games as well and I don't think they'd be happy with a P3 remake unless it was as good or better mechanically than P5 and that would take so much work (including messing with the story, as having ONLY Tartarus again probably wouldn't fly with a lot of players after P4 and especially 5) that they might as well just make P6 instead.

IMO a regular P4G-like remaster is far more likely.

I see your point, but leaving all these seemingly updated HD models of the P3 characters as well as some of these locations for no use seems like a huge waste imo. Considering how much they milk the series and lots of people have no problem with it i see no reason why Atlus couldn't remake P3. Heck there are a lot of people who want a definite version of P3 so I do not understand the sentiment of just waiting for P6. Each numbered series is different from each other with different characters, stories, and music so I do not see why wanting a P3 remake would not be in their interest since it lacks a definite version. Plus seeing how Atlus are under Sega now I can see them wanting Atlus to expand further and make as much revenue. A remake of P3 would be smart choice especially if there are who would play the series, but can't because it isn't on any current gen system.

So I wouldn't leave out the possibility due to how popular P3 is.

PK Gaming

Some of you folks are talking as if Persona games have always treated female characters badly or something like that (because of the Persona 3 FeMC?), while the truth is:

1. Aigis is arguably the biggest star of all the cast of characters in P3, and she even became the lead in the game's concluding finale in The Answer.
2. In The Answer, all the important players are females: Aigis, Yukari, Mitsuru, Metis. Practically all the plot points in the Answer revolved around these four while the guys were just basically decoration.
3. In Persona 4, the one who basically leads the entire team was Naoto. Sure, the MC was the leader but Naoto played a huge part as well.
4. The same in Persona 5, many of the characters that took charge for the whole plot are females like Makoto, Sae. In fact, just like the Answer, with the exception of Morgana, the guy characters were basically just there and not a significant contributor to the plot.

Well, that's how I see it, anyways. Of course things could be improved and yes sometimes the games treated female characters in less than ideal portrayals (like the costumes, the bath scenes in P4/P4G, ugh), but overall I think they're pretty okay.

None of this actually conveys why the female characters in Persona are good. They're good because they tend to be fleshed out and resonant characters, not because of their feats. And yet Opa-pa is absolutely spot on when it comes to their treatment. So you have these great characters that are semi-consistently thrown under the bus for titillation or a quick laugh, and it's beyond obnoxious.

Still, I disagree with the assertion that women are only drawn to Persona because of yaoi-baiting/hot boys. I think a big reason for why a huge part of the playerbase is female is due to large amount of women present in these games. It's easier for women to relate to these characters, rather than being forced to relate to "that one chick" in typical RPG set ups. Hell, I bet the female playerbase for this series would grow even bigger if they added more female protagonists.

None of this actually conveys why the female characters in Persona are good. They're good because they tend to be fleshed out and resonant characters, not because of their feats. And yet Opa-pa is absolutely spot on when it comes to their treatment. So you have these great characters that are semi-consistently thrown under the bus for titillation or a quick laugh, and it's beyond obnoxious.

Still, I disagree with the assertion that women are only drawn to Persona because of yaoi-baiting/hot boys. I think a big reason for why a huge part of the playerbase is female is due to large amount of women present in these games. It's easier for women to relate to these characters, rather than being forced to relate to "that one chick" in typical RPG set ups. Hell, I bet the female playerbase for this series would grow even bigger if they added more female protagonists.
Yup, I think this is why my sister is a huge fan of the franchise also

Hell, I bet the female playerbase for this series would grow even bigger if they added more female protagonists.

Given how many girls I know who loved P3P and then bounced off the rest of the series, I am inclined to agree.

In the West, at the very least. I recall reading that in Japan, female fans tend to prefer male leads because they are cooler. It's unfortunate, but I guess not exactly unexpected for the region

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Given how many girls I know who loved P3P and then bounced off the rest of the series, I am inclined to agree.

In the West, at the very least. I recall reading that in Japan, female fans tend to prefer male leads because they are cooler. It's unfortunate, but I guess not exactly unexpected for the region

Eh, not necessarily? Otome games have female leads.

I see your point, but leaving all these seemingly updated HD models of the P3 characters as well as some of these locations for no use seems like a huge waste imo. Considering how much they milk the series and lots of people have no problem with it i see no reason why Atlus couldn't remake P3. Heck there are a lot of people who want a definite version of P3 so I do not understand the sentiment of just waiting for P6. Each numbered series is different from each other with different characters, stories, and music so I do not see why wanting a P3 remake would not be in their interest since it lacks a definite version. Plus seeing how Atlus are under Sega now I can see them wanting Atlus to expand further and make as much revenue. A remake of P3 would be smart choice especially if there are who would play the series, but can't because it isn't on any current gen system.

So I wouldn't leave out the possibility due to how popular P3 is.

A full remake would use a lot of the resources that could go into P6 though. It would be cheaper to just release P3FES as a ps2 classic on ps4.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The pop at the start of the P3 section was notably louder, lol.

P3MC best MC. :p

You say this, and then you also have Megumi as your avatar..... goddamn are you me?

(Megumi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Erina)

Well like I said it's not perfect, and there are times when I hope the games could have done better, though I wouldn't necessarily call them "ridiculously" juvenile. Call it the makers being trapped by the market they're trying to sell their products in, hahah.

So they're good, but not good, but they're great, but then again not great because they're "semi-consistently" used for titillation/quick laugh. So which is it? They're good or not? Hehehe.

Well yeah, the games could do better with how they portray their female characters, though P5 at the very least I think was an improvement over P4/P4G... at least we didn't get unnecessary bathing scenes this time :p

Defuser

So in 2018 we have:

Persona 5 Anime
Persona Q2
Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night
Persona 5 Dancing Star Night

How can I hold all these Personas?

Top Bottom