• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust HD Port coming to Xbox One and PC (Play Anywhere) 2017

"Wasn't the original too light on content to begin with?"

No? It's a multiplayer focused card/action battle game that also came with a full campaign with story and cinematics. The big issue is that multiplayer progression (with regards to unlocking abilities) was tied to single player campaign progression. You had to play through the campaign to unlock everything.

This is what it should have been to begin with. Remaking a game is stupid, and if people who played the original are disappointed in this news, well, this isn't meant for you just like every other re-release.

Also, I wish more companies realize this.

Remaking a game isn't stupid. In fact, games like Odin Sphere benefit greatly from being remade and retooled. Not that it's part of this discussion anyway, since the original pitch wasn't a remake in the first place.

And I think people have a right to be a little miffed considering the original announcement last year was bringing this franchise back. But today, we have something of a port to fill in for that. Which isn't the worse news, honestly, but won't replace that new game thirst MS set us on already.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wasn't the original too light on content to begin with?

It had a surprisingly decent single player campaign despite limited content in terms of maps but it had a decent and weird story, multiple unique boss battles and some some ok story missions. Its biggest issue was repetitive maps and such.

packy34

"We're using the original assets from the Phantom Dust that was released by Microsoft Japan in 2003," Loftis said. "We are updating some key parts of it. We are updating it with modern Xbox Live. ... For those who haven't heard of it, this game is a collectible card game that's wrapped in an action RPG. ... The game, when it came out, was very of its time."

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/13/11927046/phantom-dust-is-back-on-for-xbox-arrives-in-2017

Basically, nothing about the graphics is being updated. Not a HD remaster. It's not even clear if it will be rendered in a higher resolution. People should keep expectations in check until things are clarified.

Zeta Oni

New Features for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC:
• Xbox Live Arena support integrated
• Play on Windows 10 PC or Xbox One seamlessly with cross-saves, retaining all of your progress and in-game items between both platforms.
• Cross-device play lets you play against friends regardless of platform.
• Full Xbox Live feature set of the original game, including downloading top player’s arsenals to practice against them – a feature not available since the original’s release!
• Looking for Group on Xbox Live so you can find and connect with other gamers more easily than ever.
• Multiplayer starter arsenals are included. Jump right into multiplayer with a better selection of skills!
• The Multiplayer skill shop is no longer tied to solo player progression. All skills are available for purchase immediately for multiplayer use.
• Improvements to game balance and frame rate

This is all amazing, but glad to see that return in particular.

Riposte

Fucking finally. I hope this forms a nice community on, at least, PC. It may not happen, but I think anyone who gets hooked will stay hooked for awhile. Even just going through the campaign is a really fun time. One of the top tier overlooked Xbox classics as far as I am concerned and it's holds up well (more weird than archaic).

element

Sounds like a crazy coincidence that a fake ass trailer comes out when Shannon announces they are doing a remaster.

Ishmae1

Basically, nothing about the graphics is being updated. Not a HD remaster. It's not even clear if it will be rendered in a higher resolution. People should keep expectations in check until things are clarified.

We're working on some improvements beyond what's been called out, but because we're very sensitive to maintaining the balance and feel of the game, we'll see how they turn out before we promise them.

Worst case, you get perfect PD at solid frame rate. Best case... it's going to be better than that.

We're working on some improvements beyond what's been called out, but because we're very sensitive to maintaining the balance and feel of the game, we'll see how they turn out before we promise them.

Worst case, you get perfect PD at solid frame rate. Best case... it's going to be better than that.

hey send me a invite to playtest ;_; please bae.

Miker

Holy shit I thought Phantom Dust was dead after Kotaku reporting MS shut the old reboot studio down. This, though, is the best news out of E3 so far.

element

Holy shit I thought Phantom Dust was dead after Kotaku reporting MS shut the old reboot studio down. This, though, is the best news out of E3 so far.
That version of Phantom Dust is dead. This appears to be something totally different.

Miker

That version of Phantom Dust is dead. This appears to be something totally different.

Yeah, I meant the IP was dead forever and MS would just say "it's coming" until finally admitting years down the line that it, in fact, was never coming.

• Multiplayer starter arsenals are included. Jump right into multiplayer with a better selection of skills!
• The Multiplayer skill shop is no longer tied to solo player progression. All skills are available for purchase immediately for multiplayer use.
Excellent, excellent news.

No offense intended to the now-closed developers who were working on the earlier version, but I actually prefer this approach. The original game saw huge amounts of post-release testing, and while not ending in a perfect place (ex: Vicious Balance was too strong IMO) it was still in a great state. It's an incredibly solid foundation to revise a bit.

The existing art and especially sound are also excellent, so it should look quite good at a better resolution and framerate. I wouldn't complain about better textures here and there, but it was always a really good looking game.
Wasn't the original too light on content to begin with?
Not even slightly.

It has a slightly awkward hub world which does waste a lot of time, but the game is filled with lots of skills, character models, enemies, missions (including optional missions), maps, cutscenes, and so on. It's a big game, and that's ignoring the fact that the primary appeal is the multiplayer anyway.

The single player campaign has maybe my second favorite videogame ending, for whatever that's worth.

Skulldead

Why they didn't show that on the MS conference, would have rise a couple of point on Microsoft Conference... I can't wait to play on PC. So the remaster of this game is clearly dead ? this is just a normal HD remake ?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
New Features for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC:
• Xbox Live Arena support integrated
• Play on Windows 10 PC or Xbox One seamlessly with cross-saves, retaining all of your progress and in-game items between both platforms.
• Cross-device play lets you play against friends regardless of platform.
• Full Xbox Live feature set of the original game, including downloading top player’s arsenals to practice against them – a feature not available since the original’s release!
• Looking for Group on Xbox Live so you can find and connect with other gamers more easily than ever.

*Tears of joy*

Daria

project possibly being developed by Armature Studio. the creative director of Recore has also been working on a Phantom Dust project since 2013

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
*comes back from Ranked Rocket League failures and sees this news*

fBnI2pn.gif
fBnI2pn.gif
fBnI2pn.gif

fBnI2pn.gif
fBnI2pn.gif
fBnI2pn.gif

lol just watching this. People really asked for this? Its just old game

<------------------------------------ME FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS.

I stated this wayyyy before that remake was a glimmer in Microsoft's eye: I'd rather have a fucking PC port of this than them attempting to do it (and do it badly) because of how dormant they put the IP AND because they had no faith in it back in 2005 when they were the publisher in the first place (Majesco scooped it up because MS paid for translation and then backed out because it's "too niche")

Now, if I can monkey paw Tecmo into giving me a tolerable port of Ninja Gaiden Black and Ubisoft to patch Pandora Tomorrow, I'd officially have no reason to hold onto my X-box 180.

Also while I'm wishing and if Phil is listening and still listening to my hopes: FUCKING PUT THIS ON STEAM AND GoG/Origin AND DON'T MAKE IT UWP.
He's totally gonna fucking make it UWP now isn't he? D:

Can you confirm if there will be a physical boxed release for the Xbox One? Pretty please?!?!?!

Why they didn't show that on the MS conference, would have rise a couple of point on Microsoft Conference... I can't wait to play on PC. So the remaster of this game is clearly dead ? this is just a normal HD remake ?

The remaster being a step down from the promised remake probably made it a decent idea to push the game out of the spotlight. That or someone realised the double quote on the trailer and didn't have time to correct it.

Can you confirm if there will be a physical boxed release for the Xbox One? Pretty please?!?!?!

I'll echo this. Just like Ori I'm happy to support more games getting physical releases.

Grief.exe

This seems to be a fair compromise as they don't have to front the initial investment required for a complete game.

Zedox

Also while I'm wishing and if Phil is listening and still listening to my hopes: FUCKING PUT THIS ON STEAM AND GoG/Origin AND DON'T MAKE IT UWP.
He's totally gonna fucking make it UWP now isn't he? D:

Definitely Windows Store exclusive.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just imagine what could be in a collector's edition nowadays. How great would a physical TCG be?

How would that even play given this isn't really a card game in anything other than building arsenals and skills.

Kent

How would that even play given this isn't really a card game in anything other than building arsenals and skills.

Obviously not a 1:1 conversion, but there's a lot of potential for a creative, light physical card game based around similar concepts. More of a collector's item than anything else.

Top Bottom