• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust HD Port coming to Xbox One and PC (Play Anywhere) 2017

This is great, can't wait!

The trailer/old CG looks great still, very atmospheric and unique. Love everything about it.

The classic xbox logo in the beginning makes me think more xbox remasters are on the way, and if so I'd bet on Metal Wolf Chaos.

The trailer/old CG looks great still, very atmospheric and unique. Love everything about it.

The classic xbox logo in the beginning makes me think more xbox remasters are on the way, and if so I'd bet on Metal Wolf Chaos.

If classic Xbox remasters are on the way I'd love to see Ninja Gaiden Black

Gattsu25

Banned

Some interesting info in here..

Release date: 2017

Xbox Play Anywhere title (Xbox One and Windows 10 PC versions included with single digital purchase at no additional cost)

Product Overview
“Phantom Dust” for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC is a re-release of the original classic, brought to life for the modern generation with Xbox Live features like cloud-save support, cross-device play, cross-buy, Looking for Group on Xbox Live, and support for Arena on Xbox Live. In addition, it features new gameplay enhancements including multiplayer* starter decks that let you jump straight into multiplayer, improved frame rate, and adjustments to overall game balance.

“Phantom Dust” is a unique blend of third-person arena combat and collectable card game, in which both fast reflexes and clever thinking matter. Collect over 300 unique abilities and build your arsenal of powers, taking them into battle with up to three other opponents. You’ll compete in highly-destructible arenas—in teams or alone—and unleash a wide array of powers and tactics, including orbital particle cannons, flaming swords, barriers of ice, flight, cloaking, attack reflection, and even mind-reading abilities.

The game features over 20 hours of solo player content through an engaging story that explores the ideas of isolation and faith, and full Xbox Live multiplayer support for up to four players with a variety of game types.

Features
Tactical Action – Up to 4 players choose from more than 300 skills across five diverse schools of powers to create a unique “arsenal” to take into combat. Draw odds and deck building strategy collide with moment-to-moment action as players blast, block, and leap across each arena in an effort to defeat their opponents. With billions of deck combinations and 12 years since the original’s release, no one has yet to find a “perfect” arsenal!

Map Destruction – Major components of all the arenas can be destroyed. Blow out bridges to limit access to high ground, punch enemies into or through walls, rain debris down in an enclosed room, drop the floors out from under opponents, and hurl objects and debris for quick damage. As the board is destroyed and the landscape changes, players must adapt, increasing the need for strategic action and arsenals that cater to each specific arena.

Skills – More than 300 skills are available for players to earn and purchase through the solo campaign and multiplayer battles. From basic attacks and defenses, to radical board-altering abilities, Phantom Dust has a play style to suit anyone; stay at distance with the Optical school’s laser attacks; get in close and pummel your opponent with the Ki school; cause chaos with the unpredictable Psycho school; heal and boost your abilities with the Nature school; debilitate and punish with the Faith school. Mix schools to create radically different strategies and rebuild your arsenals to counter tricky opponents as you progress.

Campaign – Humanity has been driven underground by a mysterious dust that eats away at memories. Play as Alpha, a newly discovered survivor with no memory of their past. Journey across the radical landscape of a changed Earth as you undertake more than 100 missions to reveal the secrets of the Phantom Dust. Get ready for a brooding and introspective campaign with over 20 hours of play, featuring a host of unique characters to fight with and against, massive boss encounters, diverse arenas, memorable set battles, and unlockable multiplayer bonuses.

New Features for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC
• Xbox Live Arena support integrated
• Play on Windows 10 PC or Xbox One seamlessly with cross-saves, retaining all of your progress and in-game items between both platforms.
• Cross-device play lets you play against friends regardless of platform.
• Full Xbox Live feature set of the original game, including downloading top player’s arsenals to practice against them – a feature not available since the original’s release!
• Looking for Group on Xbox Live so you can find and connect with other gamers more easily than ever.
• Multiplayer starter arsenals are included. Jump right into multiplayer with a better selection of skills!
• The Multiplayer skill shop is no longer tied to solo player progression. All skills are available for purchase immediately for multiplayer use.
• Improvements to game balance and frame rate​
Please don't add microtransactions....

Also, holy shit is the font in that doc abhorrent looking.

Classic Xbox Remasters with Live support, cross-play, and achievements sounds so good. I'd be in on so many games, presuming they're priced right.

Surely this won't cost anywhere near $60? Hopefully sub-$40, ideally sub-$30.

i want it, i want it badly just like some other games..
but
1) my xbox one used to stay at my parents home (for the 3 times/year that i visit them).. I sold it to get the scorpio later in 2017, but will anyway keep at my parent's home..
2) alternatively there's pc, but microsoft has to understand that windows 10 adoption is really low... plus there are people like me (sw eng) that at most can use windows 7... some stuff i use does not work properly (if at all) with windows 10... so, for me win10 is not going to happen anytime soon...
;_;

butzopower

proud of his butz
Fucking yes! I don't need a remake, online Phantom Dust on PC is exactly what I want. I've wanted it so so so so so bad.

Daria

it's being developed by code mystics, who also did killer instinct classic on xb1 and worked on rare replay

http://www.codemystics.com/

they seem to specialize in porting or emulating old games

interesting, thanks. I wonder how long this has been in development. There has been one project from MGS since 2013, I wonder if that is the same HD port or another unannounced edition.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there a substantive story and campaign? Or is the main draw the multiplayer?

There is a campaign with cut scenes, a hub where you get missions and talk with NPC's and something like a 20 hour campaign with unique boss battles, etc. The arenas repeat over and over and the enemies are basically just NPC version of multiplayer characters with specific arsenal loud outs.

Still can't believe they didn't just port it over to begin with...I mean, they were already working with Grounding and Futatsagi at the beginning of the gen on Crimson Dragon.

Is there a substantive story and campaign? Or is the main draw the multiplayer?

It's eight to twelve hours from what I remember. It mainly serves as a tutorial and introduction to the world and story characters. It was fun and looked amazingly stylish for the time of the game's original release, but MP is the meat of the game, especially now that you don't have to earn skills by finishing the SP.

Keeping the game at the original resolution is kind of WTF. I understand for menus and FMVs, but even the 3D graphics? That's going to be rough.

Vinc

Is this getting a physical release? Just wondering cause I still have a pre-order of that Phantom Dust reboot / sequel with Best Buy and I don't want them to get their wires crossed with this lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There is no way they are shipping a console game that is resolution locked to 480p in 2017, I'd bet anything that she misunderstood the question and was talking about the in game assets (models, textures, etc).

Miker

I'd be perfectly fine with the original game, textures and all, just running in 1080p w/ SMAA or something. Widescreen would be nice, but I don't think it'd be a dealbreaker for me personally.

I don't know how excited I am to play the campaign again. It felt a bit bloated with the hub world, and not all of the fights were actually enjoyable. Too many missions were fighting against small little monsters that only used basic fireball-ish attacks, or against giganto-bosses that weren't any fun to fight.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd be perfectly fine with the original game, textures and all, just running in 1080p w/ SMAA or something. Widescreen would be nice, but I don't think it'd be a dealbreaker for me personally.

I don't know how excited I am to play the campaign again. It felt a bit bloated with the hub world, and not all of the fights were actually enjoyable. Too many missions were fighting against small little monsters that only used basic fireball-ish attacks, or against giganto-bosses that weren't any fun to fight.

Well they've decoupled the multiplayer unlocks from the campaign so you can skip it now if you want.

Miker

Well they've decoupled the multiplayer unlocks from the campaign so you can skip it now if you want.

Yeah, I know, I'm just offering my opinion on the campaign, which I don't hold in as high regard as other players. That said, I feel like I should replay it to refamiliarize myself with all the skills.

Synth

I hope so.

Well, even then they could just be cutting off the black bars the original game had, a simple-ish crop, but that is a good sign.

A 480p release is unlikely enough. But 360p?... :D

In either case it would invalidate the claim that the graphics are completely untouched, so I think an upres is a safe assumption.

Daria

They've altered it so you now start with arsenal so you can jump into multiplayer from the start.

BioFan

Just learnt of this news!!!
I'm actually more excited for this over the remake. The remake looked so rough and didn't feel the developer could do the game justice.
Yaaay can't wait. Hopefully this will end up as good if not better than the KI classic ports.
Woohoooo!!!
Maybe Iron Galaxy should do the real remake after KI Season 3! Hopefully this will sell well so MS will be more confident in the investment.

Castef

Banned
Just asked Phil Spencer about the game.

This is his reply.

"Just like pre-E3, @shannonloftis is keeping the secrets to herself. But my moles say things are progressing well."

Keeping fingers crossed.

Top Bottom