• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright DS barebones port to Wiiware. Capgod strikes again!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
confused said:
sucks, what if I happen to miss that particular thread. Ignorance(when rules aren't clearly stated) bannable ? sounds fair to me.

don't complain (that's another unspoken rule =P)

Capcom hasn't been able to hire proper copy editors or translators since the first game, of course they're going to hire high quality voice actors for the massive PW game scripts for a system with a smaller install base where it hasn't proven itself like it has on the DS.

I mean, it's obvious they would.

Danthrax said:
Books don't have charming art and fantastic music. Let alone interactive puzzles (choose your own adventures notwithstanding)
Well I guess the art is OK but it wouldn't factor in whether I buy it, and the best 16-bit music I've heard is from Earthbound; can you compare it to that? Are the puzzles complex like in Professor Layton (I'd love to try that) or are they more like minigames?

ChoklitReign said:
Well I guess the art is OK but it wouldn't factor in whether I buy it, and the best 16-bit music I've heard is from Earthbound; can you compare it to that? Are the puzzles complex like in Professor Layton (I'd love to try that) or are they more like minigames?
They're logic puzzles. This is grossly oversimplifying it, but you basically have to listen to the witness's testimony, press them for facts, and then find the evidence which suggests a contradiction to their statement.

Also, the music is some of the best I've ever heard, period. It sets the mood perfectly. Honestly, I've gotten infinitely more pumped when playing Phoenix Wright than any other game I can think of, and the music is only one part of the equation why.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
RocketDarkness said:
They're logic puzzles. This is grossly oversimplifying it, but you basically have to listen to the witness's testimony, press them for facts, and then find the evidence which suggests a contradiction to their statement.

Also, the music is some of the best I've ever heard, period. It sets the mood perfectly. Honestly, I've gotten infinitely more pumped when playing Phoenix Wright than any other game I can think of, and the music is only one part of the equation why.
The music, while excellent by itself, acquires its true meaning only once you put it in context.
Listening to the music WHILE you play the game is what makes it so awesome. Listening to a few tracks on Youtube without having ever played it wouldn't have the same effect. At all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ChoklitReign said:

The game is about presentation, pacing, and endearing eccentric caricatures that are represented in a perfect way, visually and musically. The writing is witty and clever, and the twists are outrageous enough to keep you entertained. It's pretty much like a visual novel, but having you make the (very limited) choices in logic puzzles that will spell out the rest of the case.

It's hard to describe the exact appeal of Phoenix Wright, but none of that will matter once you see Phoenix Wright strike his trademark pose, hear his voice cry "Objection," the music amp up, and watch the witness crumble to pieces are they are caught in a lie.

Jocchan said:
The music, while excellent by itself, acquires its true meaning only once you put it in context.
Listening to the music WHILE you play the game is what makes it so awesome. Listening to a few tracks on Youtube without having ever played it wouldn't have the same effect. At all.
Well yeah, I sort of hinted at that. After you understand the context, though, it'll always get you pumped. When I hear certain segments of a theme, I need to find the nearest hard surface to bang my fist/slam my hand down on.

GuardianE said:
It's hard to describe the exact appeal of Phoenix Wright, but none of that will matter once you see Phoenix Wright strike his trademark pose, hear his voice cry "Objection," the music amp up, and watch the witness crumble to pieces are they are caught in a lie.
Or when you and the prosecutor get involved in a heated string of objections. It's beautiful.

Raxus

RocketDarkness said:
Or when you and the prosecutor get involved in a heated string of objections. It's beautiful.
Even the silly last minute drama objections and the absurdity some of the objections lead into are great (Now I throw my coffee at you). Ah good stuff.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Raxus said:
Even the silly last minute drama objections and the absurdity some of the objections lead into are great (Now I throw my coffee at you). Ah good stuff.
I feel like playing through the games again. Hm...

Jangaroo

On topic: Was the PC version of this game just a straight port?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much.
RocketDarkness said:
I feel like that every day. I think it's been a couple of months since my last playthrough, I don't know if I can hold out much longer...
ARGH! I think I'll hold out a bit longer. Maybe I'll have a playthrough before Ace Attorney Investigations comes out.

RocketDarkness said:
or in apollo justice when the prosecutor and your assistant... and the crazy hobo who used to be a lawyer... all keep solving the case... for you...

Jangaroo

EmCeeGramr said:
or in apollo justice when the prosecutor and your assistant... and the crazy hobo who used to be a lawyer... all keep solving the case... for you...

AJ leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

OH WTF is this indeed? If it is a straight port would it be even superior to the DS version? Sure Higher Res is nice but what about text scrolling and investagations. Pointing and clicking the Wiimote constantly could get rather annoying. But I'm just shocked at the supposed announcement.

Hot damn my Ace Attorney artbook cant get here any faster.

Jangaroo said:
ARGH! I think I'll hold out a bit longer. Maybe I'll have a playthrough before Ace Attorney Investigations comes out.

Oh, that's a perfect idea. I'll do the same.

EDIT: Why is it so far away? T.T

Jangaroo

RocketDarkness said:
Oh, that's a perfect idea. I'll do the same.

EDIT: Why is it so far away? T.T
Well my birthday's around that time of month, so I suppose the wait won't be too bad. It's taken every ounce of my will power NOT to spoiler myself :/
Segata Sanshiro said:
Hey, Alexander O. Smith is a pretty top notch translator!
I think he only worked on the first game.

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
OH WTF is this indeed? If it is a straight port would it be even superior to the DS version? Sure Higher Res is nice but what about text scrolling and investagations. Pointing and clicking the Wiimote constantly could get rather annoying. But I'm just shocked at the supposed announcement.

Hot damn my Ace Attorney artbook cant get here any faster.
1. Didn't in Another Code: R
2. Use buttons/D-pad where available?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
ShockingAlberto said:
Capcom hasn't been able to hire proper copy editors or translators since the first game

Jeremy Blaustein made the localization for the 3rd entry and it was very good, actually.

Jangaroo

bernardobri said:
Jeremy Blaustein made the localization for the 3rd entry and it was very good, actually.
Are we complaining about the grammar errors in the games or the quality of the translations?
Pureauthor said:
Capcom - proudly leading the industry in spreading the love everywhere via ports.
But it's Ace Attorney gosh darn it.

donny2112

The point (for me) of the Ace Attorney games is to discover the contradictions, clues, and story. As I've already played all the games released in the U.S. (just finished Apollo Justice literally a few hours ago), I have no interest in playing through them again on the Wii. Bring on Ace Attorney 5!

bernardobri

Jangaroo said:
Are we complaining about the grammar errors in the games or the quality of the translations?

But it's Ace Attorney gosh darn it.

AFAIK, the proper English release in PW3 didn't have grammar errors.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Voice acting would probably ruin the characters.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only fucking person who feels this way.

Jangaroo said:
I think he only worked on the first game.
Nope, he did Apollo Justice as well.

I dunno, there are always a few grammar/spelling mistakes in each game, but given the amount of text I don't think a couple mistakes are really something to be concerned about. It's just a shame that one of the mistakes in PW2 was in a very, very high profile spot.

Jangaroo

bernardobri said:

Some random person on Gamefaqs said:
Some of the spelling errors are abosolutely terrible

Case 1
That guy is such a Dufus = Doofus

Case 2
"It's humun error." = Human Error

Case 3
"You've got to eat a of cake during New Year's!" = a lot of cake
"Goosebumbs...? You?" = Goosebumps
There were errors. They didn't fix it from the Japanese release.

Anyway, the point of my original post wasn't to nitpick at the grammar. I'm kind of surprised that there were people who didn't like the translations of the sequels.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
bernardobri said:

It's got a few.

The JPN DS releases had a bunch more. The US releases are basically a revised edition of the localized scripts.

donny2112

Jangaroo said:

The game itself was fine, but my favorite part was in the final case where you
play as Phoenix Wright
going back and forth through
time
. Love how it all ties together, too. :D

bernardobri

Oh, then I must have missed those. My bad.

Back on topic, the one thing I love about Phoenix Wright is the conversation flow when attorneys and prosecutors discuss in climatic parts. Especially between Phoenix Wright and Godot.

Also, I can't understand the hate on JFA. Case 4 is easily the best in the series :/

No_Style

Jangaroo said:

Why? Never understood the critical and fan hate for AJ. I thought it was awesome. Superior to Justice for All and rivals the third one with regards to awesome soundtrack. T&T and the original were superior, but damn did I enjoy how AJ unfolded. :D

Jangaroo

No_Style said:
Why? Never understood the critical and fan hate for AJ. I thought it was awesome. Superior to Justice for All and rivals the third one with regards to awesome soundtrack. T&T and the original were superior, but damn did I enjoy how AJ unfolded. :D
I can give credit to AJ's soundtrack. The objection theme is probably my favorite next to the first game. My main gripe with the game was the way they handled the characters and the plot. Wasn't a big fan of how they portrayed Phoenix in particular.

Jangaroo said:
I can give credit to AJ's soundtrack. The objection theme is probably my favorite next to the first game. My main gripe with the game was the way they handled the characters and the plot. Wasn't a big fan of how they portrayed Phoenix in particular.

I thought it just felt unfinished. The final case felt very unsatisfying, both how Apollo basically took a back seat and how the guilty party's motives never quite rang true with me.

EmCeeGramr said:
I thought it just felt unfinished. The final case felt very unsatisfying, both how Apollo basically took a back seat and how the guilty party's motives never quite rang true with me.
I think it's clear we don't know the whole story just yet.
Black Psyche Locks, oh damn!

RocketDarkness said:
That's what was disappointing. It felt like it was just a set up for a new trilogy.

EmCeeGramr said:
That's what was disappointing. It felt like it was just a set up for a new trilogy.
I guess I can understand that, but I think the main focus of the overall storyline was to give us insight into Apollo and Trucy's backstory, primarily. Whatever's going on between Phoenix and Kristoph is just a taste.

Jangaroo

RocketDarkness said:
I completely forgot about that. The last time we heard any news of the fifth game was way back in 2007.
EmCeeGramr said:
Same here. I really hated how Apollo took a back seat as the rest of the game focused entirely on Phoenix. And yeah, it's pretty obvious that the game was intended to be another trilogy. I wonder if they'll work on the fifth one now that Ace Attorney Investigations is done.

donny2112

EmCeeGramr said:
how the guilty party's motives never quite rang true with me.

I think he had OCD. In that case, being dropped off a case that he'd done so much illegal prep for would probably drive him crazy. How'd Zak try Phoenix second with the poker cards, though? I guess they were in the same practice? And if Zak had only lost once before, what were the chances that he'd lose again to some random laywer? And where's what's-her-name with the purple outfit from the first games? I guess she's off studying and Phoenix is sending her updates on the Steel Samurai episodes?

Lamorir rocks. :D

It just seemed so crazy that there's this madman with a devil scar on his hand and he's capable of pulling all these conspiracies and he can beat the magatama by having secrets so deep that nobody can get to them... but his big secret is that he killed some guys to keep from losing a court case? He was never presented as a Von Karma-style perfectionist, so that motive just made no sense.

It makes me suspect that maybe the
the Klavier family has some kind of old rivalry with the Gramaryes, and that Kristoph was involved in Thalassa somehow ending up in a foreign country. Kristoph used a powerful poison back then after all, and the cocoon from Borginia is described as being able to create a poison just like that.

Minamu

I thought the devs said it didn't make any sense to port PW to any other platforms & that it best fit on handhelds? :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm going to stop reading this thread because I'm worried about spoilers. I haven't beaten Apollo Justice yet. Reading a GAF thread before spoiled part of the end of Justice for All.

:(((((

Top Bottom