• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright DS barebones port to Wiiware. Capgod strikes again!

No_Style

Jangaroo said:
I can give credit to AJ's soundtrack. The objection theme is probably my favorite next to the first game. My main gripe with the game was the way they handled the characters and the plot. Wasn't a big fan of how they portrayed Phoenix in particular.

I thought they handled the new characters and plot well. I loved Trucy and the mysterious past of all these new comers. It raised a lot of questions early on which kept me pushing forward for answers. I admit that it relied heavily on the final case to piece it all together, but I found it to be a neat way of testing the player's attention.

Phoenix's demeanor was a bit jarring though. However, I settled with the notion that he got
royally screwed by Kristoph
and just fell into a rut and used it to
gather evidence against Kristoph in secret

I was a bit skeptical with AJ due to the offhand remarks people made against it, but it grew on me.

Kudos to Capcom on the gameplay side though. I thought they were going to abuse the hell out of those mini-games, but they used it when appropriate.

If it's just a port then no thanks

Well actually, I haven't played the game in forever. I might decide to download it after all if it does get released lol.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GuardianE said:
That's so so so fantastic. Thank you for posting it.
That clip has always convinced me a Phoenix Wright animated series would be very very awesome.

trinest

donny2112 said:
The game itself was fine, but my favorite part was in the final case where you
play as Phoenix Wright
going back and forth through
time
. Love how it all ties together, too. :D
Yeah that was awesome- if they are going to remake any Ace game for Wii it should be this one.

Snaku

Banned
Oh man, I really hope the orchestrated soundtrack is optional. I'll be all over this in any case since my copy of PW 1 was stolen. :(

I'd definitely be up for this with Voice Acting and Orchestral (or at least higher quality synth) Music. Seeing those PC screenshots make me drool at the possibilities. Just keep an option to turn VAs on and off incase they get some lousy VAs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Costanza said:
I'd love it if they added full voice acting.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Roto13

It´s probably a port which means I probably won´t buy it. But if there´s no content, I´m totally there. :p

Rez said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
More like fuck no. Having to listen to that shit repeatedly would be the worst thing ever, even if it was actually decent. Also, it would be segmented to all hell, and segmented voiced dialog is never, ever good in a game. By segmented, I mean you having to push a button to make the conversation continue. God, that is so robotic and terrible.

Sloane

Banned
abstract alien said:
More like fuck no. Having to listen to that shit repeatedly would be the worst thing ever, even if it was actually decent.
Seriously. There's so much text, no way I would listen to it. Also, there's probably no way Capcom would add voice-acting, so whatever.

XiaNaphryz

Flying_Phoenix said:
Please, stop! For the love of God, stop!

You're destroying my ears!
Don't care for Japanese voices then I take it? :p

abstract alien said:
More like fuck no. Having to listen to that shit repeatedly would be the worst thing ever, even if it was actually decent. Also, it would be segmented to all hell, and segmented voiced dialog is never, ever good in a game. By segmented, I mean you having to push a button to make the conversation continue. God, that is so robotic and terrible.
It worked somewhat in PC adventure games, where some conversations were segmented due to dialogue trees. All they'd need to put in is a "Speech Off" toggle for you fools who don't want to bother with it. It's not that difficult to have both options.

Seriously, I don't see how people can complain "OMG too much text, don't want to listen" when people don't seem to mind it in RPGs or adventure games with just as much or more text.

XiaNaphryz said:
Don't care for Japanese voices then I take it? :p

It worked somewhat in PC adventure games, where some conversations were segmented due to dialogue trees. All they'd need to put in is a "Speech Off" toggle for you fools who don't want to bother with it. It's not that difficult to have both options.

Seriously, I don't see how people can complain "OMG too much text, don't want to listen" when people don't seem to mind it in RPGs or adventure games with just as much or more text.
It isn't as simple as an on/off toggle. Things are expressed differently when written as opposed to being voiced, and the opposite is true as well. To have a top quality voiced work, or top quality written work, it must be created with one or the other in mind. Have you ever played a game that was voiced and then toggled off to read the text instead? Its not a good experience at all.

cvxfreak

They should just allow for voices to be turned on or off. Problem solved.

Going further, the 4 GS games are already voiceless, so adding optional voice doesn't have to change the game dynamic.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
abstract alien said:
It isn't as simple as an on/off toggle. Things are expressed differently when written as opposed to being voiced, and the opposite is true as well. To have a top quality voiced work, or top quality written work, it must be created to one or the other in mind. Have you ever played a game that was voiced and then toggled off to read the text instead? Its not a good experience at all.

Bingo fucking bango.

cvxfreak

Does anyone have an opinion on the PSP version of Tales of Phantasia? That one added voices to a game that was over 10 years old, IIRC.

FSLink

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the PSP version of Tales of Phantasia? That one added voices to a game that was over 10 years old, IIRC.
Was pretty good, except Dhaos's voice had to be [understandably since his old VA died] replaced so it was a bit weird at times. It was a welcome change since the PSX version had a couple voiced lines here and there randomly...
I personally would love a voiced Phoenix Wright game, and hey, maybe they could just voice the courtscenes only. Save on space, plus the investigation scenes seem better to read to me.

Q8D3vil

i always liked phoenix wright because it was ona portable system
unless there's voice acting im not interested in this

wRATH2x

Banned
I literally gasped at the thread title :lol

And no voice acting! For all that is sacred and holy no voice acting! Remember guys, this is capcom.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I seriously doubt Capcom is willing to add full voice acting, unless this is a retail release.
If it's going to WiiWare, the best option would be an episodic format with the first chapter given for free (as a demo, considering it's really damn short) and the other chapters sold for like 800 Wii points each.
But then again, Nintendo's policy about demos makes this nearly impossible to happen.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Please be more responsible with your thread titles. This is not confirmed, and I had a fucking heart attack.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Razien said:
What policy? "We are going to provide demos for select WiiWare games"?
Yes, as a test. What if they consider the test failed after a while?
Would they remove the first chapter? Would they start charging for it?
It's early to tell, and thus my comment :p

Razien

Banned
Jocchan said:
Yes, as a test. What if they consider the test failed after a while?
Would they remove the first chapter? Would they start charging for it?
It's early to tell, and thus my comment :p

Removing the first chapter wouldn't be much of a trouble, as most people would've downloaded it by then, and Capcom would probably, at worse, simply put it as DLC for the game. Most probable outcome of the demo failing so bad that they'd take it out would be having the first chapter for 0 points at the WiiWare channel. I mean, Nintendo makes idiotic decisions, but they wouldn't simply remove all the free content from the face of the earth and never let it come out again. They even gave a free NES game for those who paid for the Internet Channel.

upandaway

What? I got into the thread surprised and excited and fuck me all and I get some fucking German site? What gives? Did anyone ever think it was a typo?

I'll be glad for someone to smack me in the face and demonstrate how legit this is.

Shiggy

upandaway said:
What? I got into the thread surprised and excited and fuck me all and I get some fucking German site? What gives? Did anyone ever think it was a typo?

I'll be glad for someone to smack me in the face and demonstrate how legit this is.

Why should it be a typo? Is the game planned for any other platform?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
upandaway said:

That "fucking German site" is basically the German ESRB. Why would Capcom ask them to rate (or re-rate) the DS version now?

XiaNaphryz

abstract alien said:
Have you ever played a game that was voiced and then toggled off to read the text instead? Its not a good experience at all.
Many times. The LucasArts adventure games pulled it off pretty well.

jts

...hate me...
Does Nintendo have some sort of exclusivity agreement for PW titles?

Because I'd fucking kill small kittens for the series to get on the iPhone. With my bare hands.

If they had hi-res assets I don't know why some of the backgrounds look terrible in the Phoenix Wright DS games, it looked like they ripped them from the GBA version rather than take it from a hi-res drawing.

That being said I knew this already because there was Japanese port of Phoenix Wright to PC.

zoku88

Josh7289 said:
If this is just a port of the first game, that's kind of dumb.

Eh, we'll see.
A lot of people didn't get a chance to play the DS game. I don't think stores even carry it anymore...

Kamaki

I'm genuinely excited for this! Reading through peoples replies makes me question why people wouldn't want voice acting? Actually no, I do see why people might not want it; I personally think it should be there but have an option for it to be disabled :D
Along with the orchestrated soundtrack as an option.

Episodic cases, one a month or so would be the way to go! New cases every month for some of the best characters in a game ever would be mind blowing! :D

botticus

infinityBCRT said:
If they had hi-res assets I don't know why some of the backgrounds look terrible in the Phoenix Wright DS games, it looked like they ripped them from the GBA version rather than take it from a hi-res drawing.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
The DS only has an ever-so-slightly higher resolution than the GBA, to the point where it would be identical to the GBA shots anyway, except a few extra vertical pixels of space.

botticus said:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did.

Yeah, the first three DS games are straight ports in every way, except for the last case in the original, which was made specifically for the DS. It used the same graphics though.

Apollo Justice used a different background for the courtroom though, and it does look considerably better.

Anyway, I can't wait for this. I don't even care if it's a straight port; I'll be buying it. I never get tired of replaying the Ace Attorney games. Personally, I hope it's a full retail game, as that would likely mean a longer and better game.

Top Bottom