• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... who here is into photography?

I am. My camera of choice right now is the Canon A-1 film based camera. I used to have the Canon PowerShot G3 digital camera, but I found it to be a little too amateur-ish (I can't stand not having a manual focus ring).

So now I think I am saving up for a Canon Digital Rebel (around $900).

Here's a link to two of my latest photos:

http://www.noiseglow.com/photo/greg/wires.html
http://www.noiseglow.com/photo/greg/motel.html

So let's get some "photography chat" going.

Jim Bowie

Do you like B&W or color more? And if so on color, have you ever tried self developing? Might change your mind :p

I'm all about black and white. It's so much more artistic, I think; it draws away from the color and forces the viewer to look at the composition. I'm away from my computer, or else I would post some stuff I did in infrared.

I can't do digital cameras.. lack of manual focus bugs me too. I used the Pentax K100 for most of the photography I've ever done. Pentax makes the best cameras, IMO.

I love photography. I'm minoring in it and have been taking classes for the last 3 or so years. Still using a canon ae-1 that i bought my first year after using a nikon n75. It was wierd because I love using the older heavier one so much for some reason.
I like black and white alot, and am still trying to get as good in color as I am in black and white. I've been trying to learn about studio photography since I want to do high fashion photography one day.
I'm trying to save up for either a canon 10d ( if it goes down in price anytime soon) or a nikon d70. I'm just hoping the transition to digital for me goes well. I've been ttrying to learn about processing raw files and all the good stuff. Hopefully some of you guys will be able to help me.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yay a photography thread!

i am very very very into photography and it is my major and hopefully what i will go into grad school for. I shoot currently with a Canon G2 but ill have a 300d in a week or so. and heres my gallery

http://sp0rsk.deviantart.com/

I liked the visual quality of the two images you posted idle. the composition is quite novel in the second image.

What are your influences? Mine all come from painting pretty much.

That first pic looks like you were there for a while. Exactly how long was it exposed?

great stuff there sporks! Real nice. Looks like you'll have an excellent future in photography.

edit: found two pics i had scanned of some of my first shots that got me into photography. Lemme try to figure out how to put this stuff on idisk

sp0rsk said:
yay a photography thread!

i am very very very into photography and it is my major and hopefully what i will go into grad school for. I shoot currently with a Canon G2 but ill have a 300d in a week or so. and heres my gallery

http://sp0rsk.deviantart.com/

I liked the visual quality of the two images you posted idle. the composition is quite novel in the second image.

What are your influences? Mine all come from painting pretty much.

That first pic looks like you were there for a while. Exactly how long was it exposed?

hey sporks, you sorta got me into digital photography believe it or not. A long time ago on GA you started a photography thread. You posted some shots of a baseball game and of fireworks, and those eventually led to me buying a PowerShot G3.

The wires pic was a 10 second exposure.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Here's my page. My photographing abilities are limited more by my goddamn camera...

080602_fg1.jpg

...than my abilities. That said, some of my stuff is better than other stuff...I've got some of my earlier photos on my page. My newer stuff is on the last page.

etisnomad.com/photos

sprsk

haha really? thats cool, im glad i inspired someone to go out there and shoot. My work has matured a shitload since then. But its nice to know there are other foto gaffers around.

edit: demon that shot of the man in the subway would have been really nice had the figure not been clean instead of blurred. Looks like it would have been a real interesting pose.

http://homepage.mac.com/picassopete/

some of my early stuff. Two of the pictures are from a plantation here in Louisiana. They really arent the best technically, but they kinda mean alot to me after I took a tour of the place. I learned alot about slavery and got into photography after that. The other picture is my first figure study picture. Nothing wrong with taking pictures of girls every now and then right? :)

sprsk

The second picture is easily the strongest of the 3. they are all pretty solid, but the middle one is pretty damn good for a still life.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
sp0rsk said:
edit: demon that shot of the man in the subway would have been really nice had the figure not been clean instead of blurred. Looks like it would have been a real interesting pose.
Shows what you know, amateur. That's a ghost! Do YOU have any pictures of ghosts?

I didn't think so.

Ill Saint

I shoot a LOT of photos, and though I've studied photography for many years, I don't consider myself a true photographer. I abuse all my photos through software programs and most crowds can't really tell that my stuff started out as a traditional photo work.

I use an old Olympus OM10 and an old Sony digital camera.

any one have experience with negative scanners and recommendations? I hate scanning prints whenever i want to show someone. I guess i wont have to deal with that much longer with digital but i'd still like it for some of my old stuff

sprsk

theres only one film image in my gallery and its the one of me in teh bath tub and that was taken like 3 years ago

do you print any of your digital pieces? I'm just really interested in how well digital b&w translates onto paper. Do you get nice true blacks or does it turn out purple. I've seen some amazing digital b&w prints by professionals but printed on $2000 printers, but I'm interested in how far digital can go for a hobbyist

sprsk

luvaboi217 said:
do you print any of your digital pieces? I'm just really interested in how well digital b&w translates onto paper. Do you get nice true blacks or does it turn out purple. I've seen some amazing digital b&w prints by professionals but printed on $2000 printers, but I'm interested in how far digital can go for a hobbyist

My prints are black and white, if they turn out purple, your printer just sucks. I mean, mines not special or anything but it prints 8x10s quite nicely. Also get epson photo paper, its the best for printing digitally at your home.

etiolate

Banned
Photography is one of my weekend hobbies. I've thought about taking classes, but I mostly just do it for fun. Here's some shots:

rurallines.JPG

pfe.JPG

parkpath.JPG
earth.JPG

spiral.JPG

fallingsun.JPG

snakey.jpg

redhut.jpg

bigsky.jpg

adam20

I am getting a Canon A80 pretty soon as a gift. I started to really want to take up photography after checking out some sites like Pbase. Some photos can be really inspiring. One thing I dont like about photography is that hardly anyone takes it seriously. It's not exactly great to be one of the only people you know who has a passion for photography. I dont know too many people who would relate to my appreciation of photographic art.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I shoot with a Canon 300D. I do a lot of events. Picked up a 80-200 2.8L for a steal at the beginning of the year. That combined with the 300D's ISO1600 makes for some fantastic event/concert shots:

mi_IMG_0529_jpg.jpg

btw that's a handheld shot taken from +20 meters away :)

nitewulf

im very much into it, its a hobby. i took a course back when i was in high school, but i was mostly influenced by my brother...he is a great photographer.
i currently shoot with a canon powershot g5.
here are some of my stuff, all resized, so the jaggyness and blurryness come from the compression.

9.jpg

11.jpg

IMG_0104-resized.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0169-resized.jpg

IMG_0180-resized.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Picture_017.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

chicago:

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

stitch_3.jpg

cvxfreak

Photography Intro was my favorite class last year. Developing photos is a harder task than it seems, when you're using chemicals. You've got to make sure you develop the film correctly, and then make sure the light is exposing the paper properly, etc. Hard work.

I don't want this thread to die just yet, so I'll jump in. I've been wanting to try my hand at amateur photography for a while now, and recently picked up a PowerShot A80:

There are times I wish I had more than the 3x zoom this camera provides, but it fits my skill level (zero :p) and price range. It has enough manual control that I shouldn't outgrow it for a long time, too. I'd hoped to take a photography class this fall, but they fill rapidly and I missed my chance. Hopefully I can squeeze in next spring, my last semester here before I graduate.

Here are a few of my pictures. I don't know much about photography techniques, composition, etc. but I am trying my best to learn :)

06-22-2004-GeophysicalInstitute.jpg

2004-06-30-Sprinkler.jpg

2004-06-30-SunandGreenhouse.jpg

2004-07-29-NaturalSciencesBuilding.jpg

I hope more people will share their photos! This is a nice topic :)

Tuvoc

its not much, but I just started..

I wish this one was more crisp
15287588_l.jpg

same w/ this
15287730_l.jpg

15287636_l.jpg

anyone w/ any tips on how to make pictures better. I could use all the help I can get.

Desperado

http://desperado-.deviantart.com

just starting out...i don't exactly have the greatest camera [Canon PowerShot A70], limited by the inability to go anywhere, and i just do it for fun. check it out though, please!

Deviantart's submission process pisses me off...why so many damn categories?

Desperado

Tuvoc said:
its not much, but I just started..

I wish this one was more crisp
15287588_l.jpg

same w/ this
15287730_l.jpg

15287636_l.jpg

anyone w/ any tips on how to make pictures better. I could use all the help I can get.

what kind of camera do you have? it should have a macro function, which is what you need for close up things like your first 2.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This is at my Mom's country house in Long Island, NY a few weeks ago. I took photos of my friend, a real photographer.

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Weapon of choice... Canon A60

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
:( Some of my pictures are too big... should have taken them at a lower resolution. I guess I'll have to resize em'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom