• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been into digital photography since high school. I'm not big on being in a darkroom, I fee l much more comfortable with photoshop as I've been using it for 7 years.

I don't have a portfolio or anything online, but I've been working on getting together a small indie graphic design company. I have a temp page with some of my work at http://www.motorde.com (note...I haven't worked out the kinks in it, and it's best displayed in IE)

Here's some promotional work I did for Telefon Tel Aviv.
tta_one.jpg

I haven't tried my hand at any really "artsy" type of photos yet, and I've never had any instruction, despite my dad having been a professional photographer. I think secretly he's a little disappointed that I don't inquire of his years of experience. Perhaps some day, before it's too late, I will develop more of an interest in photography.

Most of my photos are pretty much shit, and aren't interesting at all. Just random things that appeal to me: scenery, interesting objects, landscapes, animals, etc. From the limited amount I have on my hard drive, I found a few decent ones.

trees_backyard.jpg

frontyard_stormy.jpg

christmas_cat.jpg

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
DSCN0120.jpg

ew... photobucket killed them lol. I'm gonna resize them myself.

First attempt to resize them:
hawaii03164E.jpg

DSCN0071E3.jpg

hawaii03212E3.jpg

hawaii03292E2.jpg

God damn it... why is it so small?? I give up lol.

just started getting into it. Been using a Sony Cybershot P72. Good for still shots, eh for indoor to be honest, but outdoor shots have been fantastic. If I want better landscape shots tho I need the mount and tele lense. Digital zoom sucks, but it does have 3x optical built in.

Camera%20Cybershot%20P72_Det.jpg

I would have gone film but im cheap, overall upkeep on digital seems less. Ive noticed digital is sorta grainy. Also the p72 is only 3.2 mega.

Oh well, I like it.

test1.jpg

test2.jpg

test3.jpg

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
The outdoor shots are in both Butchart Gardens in Victoria BC, and up on Huricane Ridge in the Olympic mountain range in Washington state. The ones with the almost painting like feeling to them are actually 3D scenes in the Royal BC Museum in victoria...I just thought they looked so cool in the pictures I'd post em...heh

That horse looks almost real, and the one with the building witha rocky beach in the back does look real...alas neither one is.

EDIT : If you have never ventured up to Hurricane Ridge (Port Angeles, Washington) and you are in the area, go! The views from up there are insane on a clear day (was a little hazy when I went). I'll develop some panoramics I took when I get the chance.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Mr Pockets said:
Just some pics I took on a little trip I took a few days ago (Hurricane Ridge WA, Victoria BC).
:) That's amazing! I have to go there sometime! Maybe after my trip to the Galapagos Islands this March...

Leon

I have a curiosity-based question. I'm not into photography at all, but I enjoy seeing other people's work, like everyone in this thread.

However, photography being such an expensive "hobby", and for someone like sp0rks, majoring in it, what are the possible job opportunities in this field? It has to bring some kind of reward. I can think of being a people photographer, as in magazines and such, or also for national geographic-style magazines, but that's about it. What else?

Mr Pockets said:
The outdoor shots are in both Butchart Gardens in Victoria BC, and up on Huricane Ridge in the Olympic mountain range in Washington state. The ones with the almost painting like feeling to them are actually 3D scenes in the Royal BC Museum in victoria...I just thought they looked so cool in the pictures I'd post em...heh

That horse looks almost real, and the one with the building witha rocky beach in the back does look real...alas neither one is.

EDIT : If you have never ventured up to Hurricane Ridge (Port Angeles, Washington) and you are in the area, go! The views from up there are insane on a clear day (was a little hazy when I went). I'll develop some panoramics I took when I get the chance.

I'm a huge backpacking fan so I'll definately keep that in mind if I ever go out there. The mountains look incredible there!! Please do post some panaramics if you ever develop them. :)

my main problem with digital is the post-shoot work. Getting balance of colors/light shadow tweaked to where I want. The camera I am using, while basic, does offer certain levels of exposure control and a few filters that help, but it can only do so much. Eventually ill need to upgrade but thats a few years off yet.

Hmm, yeah, all that post-shoot tweaking sounds complicated, yet interesting. I haven't even begun to delve into that yet. All the pictures I take are just straight dumps from the memory card. When I post them on a message board or whatever, I just use Paint Shop Pro to resize them.

well you can do some neat stuff with Photoshop to make it how you want it, but id hope that I can somehow develop a skill for making pictures look breathtaking right out of the camera, like the one I linked above.

As it is, the harsh arizona sun, the abundance of brown, makes it hard for a beginner like me to create the definition needed for my focus to stand out. Case in point the cactus picture above. Granted a LOT of the clarity is lost in the jpg compression I had to put it through to make it fit on imageshack, but still....

Kitchen, it's awesome that you do promo stuff for Telefon Tel Aviv. I'm the same as you, I'm not into darkroom tech at all. Digital all the way!

Very true, it's hard to find decent material to shoot when you live in a goddamn desert like us (California is still very much a desert wasteland). But you can still make it work for you. I think that cactus picture is very rustic looking. I would try to find things that have that type of feel to them, maybe like some old wooden fence posts on the side of a road, you know, stuff like that.

nitewulf

Error Macro said:
IMG_1211.jpg

Do you have the original, non-resized version of that? I think it would make a nice wallpaper.

yes, and it does make a nice wallpaper. i'll link to the original picture when i get my hard drive back from my brother...and also post some recent pictures.

tuvoc, whats been mentioned about macro focus. and the first picture is blurry due to camera shake.

I have almost no experience with photography despite the fact that I love it and I worked in an art school/gallery for three years, but here's a couple of pictures that I like for one reason or another.

I personally take pictures in consideration of context and subject as I could never compete with some of the brilliant stuff "real" photographers do (like some of the stuff in this thread.)

They've been resized and whatnot with a shitty program so thats where the artifacts come from.

http://pubweb.northwestern.edu/~tmz048/EACatnight.JPG

It doesn't really look good on the PC, but the blown up print of this is gorgeous. The blue in the sky turned out unreal.

http://pubweb.northwestern.edu/~tmz048/llittlebillyP5080194.jpg

I took this because i thought my cousin's pose and position was hilarious, but a slight skake in my drunken hands added a nice air-brushed blur to it.

treeP4100068.jpg

By far the best picture I've taken where the emphasis is not on the action. The sky that day was actually sunny and cloudy, but it came out looking like a still from a Burton film.

harryP4230143.jpg

Here's Harry rising above the tormented souls from which he drains power and energy.

nitewulf

Sho Nuff said:
I shoot with a Canon 300D. I do a lot of events. Picked up a 80-200 2.8L for a steal at the beginning of the year. That combined with the 300D's ISO1600 makes for some fantastic event/concert shots:

mi_IMG_0529_jpg.jpg

btw that's a handheld shot taken from +20 meters away :)

quite amazing. not that the flash would work from that distance, but did you use it? amazing clarity for such an action shot, in low light.

karasu

My attempts. I took these about an hour ago where I train at. The frigging security guard came and threw me out for taking pics.

training3.jpg

training2.jpg

and here's my bamboo tree.

bamboo.jpg

karasu

lol pretty much. Been doing martial arts for 21 years, I train outside so as not to disturb the neighbors, and to beat up trees.

Clip Says: Here's some cool one's my GF took recently:

Your GF is a great photographer. I can see she is doing a fair amount of post work on her stuff. What find of lens or filter is she using to allow the aperature to open so wide?

etiolate

Banned
I use a Vivicam 3610. I often forget to change the settings, thus ended up in some bad indoor shots. I mostly crop or just resize my photos afterwards. I've been thinking of upgrading to something with an optical zoom.

My attempts. I took these about an hour ago where I train at. The frigging security guard came and threw me out for taking pics.

Haha, I sneak onto farms in the outlying areas where there is like a NO TRESSPASSING sign every 20 feet. One day some old man is going to jump out of a bush with a shotgun aimed at me.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Sho Nuff said:
I shoot with a Canon 300D. I do a lot of events. Picked up a 80-200 2.8L for a steal at the beginning of the year. That combined with the 300D's ISO1600 makes for some fantastic event/concert shots:

mi_IMG_0529_jpg.jpg

btw that's a handheld shot taken from +20 meters away :)

who makes that lens btw. im about to get a 100-300 canon lens but i was also looking at a 75-200 sigma. whats the dilly on that lens yo.

Sho Nuff

Banned
sp0rsk said:
who makes that lens btw. im about to get a 100-300 canon lens but i was also looking at a 75-200 sigma. whats the dilly on that lens yo.

It's the Canon 80-200mm 2.8L, aka the "magic stovepipe." About 10 years old, SUPERB color reproduction. I would strongly recommend looking for it used, it's about $300-$400, but it's the last zoom you will ever need to buy, muhaha. I cannot stress how important it is to have a fast zoom (either 4 or 2.8).

mi_IMG_0362_jpg.jpg

Socreges

Banned
This thread is inspiring. I've got to take my camera around more often. I went to a beautiful city on Vancouver Island a few weeks ago and constantly regretted having no camera.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Sho Nuff said:
It's the Canon 80-200mm 2.8L, aka the "magic stovepipe." About 10 years old, SUPERB color reproduction. I would strongly recommend looking for it used, it's about $300-$400, but it's the last zoom you will ever need to buy, muhaha. I cannot stress how important it is to have a fast zoom (either 4 or 2.8).

mi_IMG_0362_jpg.jpg

does it have image stabilization?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Observe my lack of photo taking skills!

DOH!

Um... more photo study for me ! :)

oh, i suck at internet

=W=

clipunderground said:
Here's some cool one's my GF took recently:
digi_017.JPG
This is one of me new favorite pictures ever. Now it's also my new wallpaper.

Anybody else notice how much more photogenic dogs are than cats?

So, in conclusion, dogs > cats.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
IS is a necessity for me.
My hands shake so much that when i go for a piss, i end up having a wank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom