• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planned DLC content for SFxTekken found on the original disc

njean777

Seems to me most people are mad for no reason, I purchased UMVC3 on vita and love it, I dont have jill or shuma either. The problem it seems is most people feel ripped off for something they do not have to purchase in the first place. If somebody wants one of the characters it is within their right to pay for them. So what is the big deal here? The fact is, that with the game you already get way to many characters to master.

I dont see this as a big deal (unless one of those characters has a magic combo that makes the round end every time after doing it), now if it was along the lines of Mass Effect 3 where they are hiding what would seem to be a very important character behind DLC then I would be pissed. You dont hide a character that has something to do with the story, EVER. These characters have nothing to do with the story of the game, they are extra and if you want them you get to pay for them.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So, what will Capcom sell us? DLC Characters, DLC costumes, DLC colors for color edit and DLC Gems.

You know, I hope anyone who is for this never says a word about EA/Bioware ever. lol

The hilarious part is...I bet only like 2-4 of these characters will be any good. Not to mention Gems. BUT, you gotta buy them all to find out!

This isn't Third Strike X Tekken.

I think that if you're smart enough to rip the game, decode it with a hex editor or whatever and reorganize the files already on the disc to give yourself DLC months ahead of time, you deserve to have it. If you just download a crack somebody else posts on the internet, you're an asshole.

M-PG71C

This is true, but it also raises another question: with all this talk about "consumer rights" in the DLC debate: who are the DLC critics to tell everyone else that they're fools for spending money on something that's worth that money to them?

Because that's the attitude hidden between the lines. (And sometimes, not so hidden.)

If people vote with their wallets, then DLC has been voted into office by possibly the majority of gamers this generation. People mock Call of Duty players for buying map packs, but to the COD players the map packs are clearly valuable and worth their money. Else the map packs would have failed and we wouldn't see publishers using that strategy.

The fighting games present a more interesting case, as far as Capcom goes at least, in that despite Vanilla MVC3's good sales, the Jill and Shuma DLC allegedly performed poorly. So, it seems with this game Capcom is making a harder push - preparing far more characters for DLC at once and making some of the more popular and desired characters DLC rather than RE5 Jill and "who the hell is that?" Shuma.

I suppose we'll see what happens. Perhaps these DLC characters will perform as badly as with MVC3. If that happens, I would expect Capcom to likely back away from doing DLC characters for fighting games - but if that does happen, before anyone starts to cheer "victory!" they should brace themselves for Darkstalkers 4 or Capcom vs SNK 3 not having a ton of characters. It seems probable with how this has worked that Capcom will just dial back the overall budget and scale the fighting games down, if they can't make the money off them they feel they require.

On the other hand, if these 12 characters sell good to excellent, get ready for the new standard.

I agree with you man, truly. But how I see it is that the people who are satisfied on buying DLC, they are not the ones complaining. Whatever justification they want to use is a different story but they are not the ones screaming on the top of their tongues, "This should have been included" or "They are ripping us off". They are satisfied.

The ones I'm always annoyed with (And that's carefully worded because in many ways, I really don't care lol) are the ones who scream they are ripping us off and they won't purchase it....yet come day of release, they are the first ones lined up.

Hence my comments. I don't personally care for DLC. I don't buy it. But if its a way to ensure titles like Darkstalkers 4 are going to be created because of the extra revenue, that's fine by me. Someone is bound to buy it lol

Seems to me most people are mad for no reason, I purchased UMVC3 on vita and love it, I dont have jill or shuma either. The problem it seems is most people feel ripped off for something they do not have to purchase in the first place. If somebody wants one of the characters it is within their right to pay for them. So what is the big deal here? The fact is, that with the game you already get way to many characters to master.

I dont see this as a big deal (unless one of those characters has a magic combo that makes the round end every time after doing it), now if it was along the lines of Mass Effect 3 where they are hiding what would seem to be a very important character behind DLC then I would be pissed. You dont hide a character that has something to do with the story, EVER. These characters have nothing to do with the story of the game, they are extra and if you want them you get to pay for them.

I don't think that's really a good comparison, because those games are in two different genres. These characters are just as important to the game mechanically as that ME3 DLC character is to ME3 story-wise.

njean777

I don't think that's really a good comparison, because those games are in two different genres. These characters are just as important to the game mechanically as that ME3 DLC character is to ME3 story-wise.

But are they? Obviously not if they are paid dlc. If they were vital (balance wise), I feel they would be in the game along with all the characters already in the game. Fighting games are tricky as if you master one character enough, you can beat anybody that steps up whether they are dlc or not is irrelevant.

Kai Dracon

I agree with you man, truly. But how I see it is that the people who are satisfied on buying DLC, they are not the ones complaining. Whatever justification they want to use is a different story but they are not the ones screaming on the top of their tongues, "This should have been included" or "They are ripping us off". They are satisfied.

The ones I'm always annoyed with (And that's carefully worded because in many ways, I really don't care lol) are the ones who scream they are ripping us off and they won't purchase it....yet come day of release, they are the first ones lined up.

Hence my comments. I don't personally care for DLC. I don't buy it. But if its a way to ensure titles like Darkstalkers 4 are going to be created because of the extra revenue, that's fine by me. Someone is bound to buy it lol

Well, there is that. There's always a lot of people who breath fire then roll over on their backside.

Perhaps that's why some of them complain the loudest. They're angry at themselves because they know what's coming :lol:

kirblar

So then who is to blame for this current state of affairs?

The pirates, or those who created this situation in the first place?
It's Capcom, for putting this stuff on the disc. The "honest" consumer now gets to watch the "dishonest" consumer enjoy the content months ahead of time for free. That's not a good situation, and it's one that was very foreseeable.

BHK3

Banned
This is the real issue here. It's not a matter of principle, it's a matter of piracy.

How? You have the game, and they're just unlocking the entire disc. Sure if they pirated the disc then it's piracy but you can't pirate what you pirated already.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
It's interesting that people assume everyone within a company is of the same attitude and opinion. Therefore, if the company does one thing, while a particular producer says another thing, the only answer is that the producer is insincere and lying.

Which is kind of a dumb thing to assume. Back when this entire Capcom fighting game revival started, it was stated pretty openly that the actual moneymen at Capcom didn't think FGs were worth it and didn't want to revive Street Fighter. Ono had to fight with them to try it.

So, the quotes from Ono from way back then, like four years ago now, keep getting dragged up. The bits where he says he doesn't want to do DLC characters in games.

Now we have DLC characters, so people say "That Ono! This was his wicked plan all along!"

But what's simpler? That the producers of games lie at every turn and go out of their way to conceal Wicked Plans, or that the uncaring company officers who are only concerned with making money will order their employees to do whatever is required to make money, even if it makes their employees look like hypocrites due to a previous statement?

Knowing how corporations work, I'm betting on the latter.

Personally, I think it's likely that people like Ono, or Seth, are sincere about their appreciations for the fans and wish to do a good job. But in the end, they're going to be forced to execute whatever plan the moneymen decree.

Im not blaming Ono at all, hes a spokesperson and he does what he told, thats fine. He does a good job too. He gets an inordinate amount of credit though, hes not directing nor designing these games, he sells them to executives.

Im just saying, some companies do lie about this stuff and I know so for a fact, maybe Capcom is being sincere about it but theres no reason why we need to take hem at their word, this thread is enough proof of that.

This whole ordeal is very anti consumer though, thats the sad part.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's Capcom, for putting this stuff on the disc. The "honest" consumer now gets to watch the "dishonest" consumer enjoy the content months ahead of time for free. That's not a good situation, and it's one that was very foreseeable.

This has been going on for years with different games, different companies, etc. Not just Capcom.

Someone needs to do a drawing of a pizza box with a hidden a second level under the the pizza on the top containing another pizza that you can't access unless you Paypal some money to Capcom who will then send an unlock signal via wifi/Ethernet cable to you pizza box unlocking the pizza that was hidden there. Capcom save on the delivery boy costs.

MightyKAC

And I have no doubt in my mind that Capcom knew this could happen. There have been LOTS of cases where hackers have gotten access to content on disk that should have been locked away. So then what that tells me is one simple thing.

They didn't give a damn.

Kai Dracon

Im not blaming Ono at all, hes a spokesperson and he does what he told, thats fine. He does a good job too. He gets an inordinate amount of credit though, hes not directing nor designing these games, he sells them to executives.

Im just saying, some companies do lie about this stuff and I know so for a fact, maybe Capcom is being sincere about it but theres no reason why we need to take hem at their word, this thread is enough proof of that.

This whole ordeal is very anti consumer though, thats the sad part.

Sorry. Kind of reflexive, because so many people online act like Ono or Seth Killian run Capcom Corp (tm).

And I have no doubt in my mind that Capcom knew this could happen. There have been LOTS of cases where hackers have gotten access to content on disk that should have been locked away. So then what that tells me is one simple thing.

They didn't give a damn.

If that means keeping it off the retail disc for people to download later which causes incompatibility and your dlc not being seen by others..no thanks. I'll take this.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Well that changes everything.

He said it was Capcom's fault for creating the current situation with on disc DLC and I corrected him. Because ya know Capcom wasn't the only ones doing this.

Use your context clues in reading comprehension!

I'm curious, was there a similar outcry when game prices were raised from $50 to $60?

kirblar

This has been going on for years with different games, different companies, etc. Not just Capcom.
Has it been in competitive games, though? I feel like that aspect changes the calculus tremendously. It's one thing to have an extra map, or a bonus campaign. It's another to have a two-month jump learning your new Lei/Elena team and bodying people Day 1.

I wasn't saying they created the concept of on-disc DLC. Just that the Pirates are gonna do what Pirates do, and thus the onus was on Capcom to make a decision knowing that. (I have no issue with the pricing whatsoever- Capcom making money on these games means they're likely to make more of them for us.)

SRTtoZ

I dont see what the big deal is here. If they werent DLC, they would never have even been put out in the first place...so why care? If you dont want them, dont buy them. This coming from someone who has NEVER purchased any Capcom DLC.

MightyKAC

Has it been in competitive games, though? I feel like that aspect changes the calculus tremendously. It's one thing to have an extra map, or a bonus campaign. It's another to have a two-month jump learning your new Lei/Elena team and bodying people Day 1.

I wasn't saying they created the concept of on-disc DLC. Just that the Pirates are gonna do what Pirates do, and thus the onus was on Capcom to make a decision knowing that.

It has existed in competitive games on the past. However I don't recall it existing to QUITE this degree (I.E. 12 characters).

Big-E

On the disc, off the disk, I don't really care. Day 1 DLC in all its forms is garbage outside of pure cosmetic items. The whole budget excuse pisses me off because it is just publishers trying to exploit their customer base to the maximum which is fine from a business standpoint but I only care about customers as that is what I am.

On the disc, off the disk, I don't really care. Day 1 DLC in all its forms is garbage outside of pure cosmetic items. The whole budget excuse pisses me off because it is just publishers trying to exploit their customer base to the maximum which is fine from a business standpoint but I only care about customers as that is what I am.

It isn't day one though. More like day 60 or so...unless you are a pirate. Then you can play with them now.

Raonak

Banned
If you thought that the game already had enough content to justify the 60$ price tag, then I don't see a big problem with it.

It's not like the revelation of DLC characters lowers the value of the game.

Card Boy

Banned
It isn't day one though. More like day 60 or so...unless you are a pirate. Then you can play with them now.

I don't understand this post. Are you implying people who buy the game then try and hack the disc are pirates? Or is there some other way people are managing to get content? I'm not aware of th latest consolite pirate methods.

I don't understand this post. Are you implying people who buy the game then try and hack the disc are pirates? Or is there some other way people are managing to get content? I'm not aware of th latest consolite pirate methods.

No...I'm just saying the content was supposed to be officially available a few months after release. If you are a pirate, you can enjoy it right now. I'm not implying anything.

It's a fine line. There is DLC that doesn't get made unless there is a separate budget and added dev cycles, and then there's DLC that is content that is ripped from the core production of a game's dev cycle.

MightyKAC

If you thought that the game already had enough content to justify the 60$ price tag, then I don't see a big problem with it.

It's not like the revelation of DLC characters lowers the value of the game.

It has for me.

I'd rather buy a fighting game with 50 characters rather then one with 38. Especially if wind up spending the same amount of money.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Absolutely pathetic to see this stuff. Even if you're making reasons for this happening, it seems hard to defend the fact that the characters are clearly content complete and now we're all aware that there's a 12 chunk of the roster arbitrarily locked out for x amount of time. Just make them day 1 DLC and save everyone the hassle, no fucking point.

web01

I dont see what the big deal is here. If they werent DLC, they would never have even been put out in the first place...so why care? If you dont want them, dont buy them. This coming from someone who has NEVER purchased any Capcom DLC.

Arguments like this are just complete BS. If DLC didnt exist they would fit as much content of the disc as possible for release and as these characters were finished before release.

Big-E

It's a fine line. There is DLC that doesn't get made unless there is a separate budget and added dev cycles, and then there's DLC that is content that is ripped from the core production of a game's dev cycle.

It is a fine line and I think that line is constantly crossed but we get the excuse that it was planned from the start to try and justify it. I think a lot of these decisions happen far later in the cycle and things get shifted in order to generate more profit. I know I have no proof but I doubt things like the ME3 stuff and certain characters here weren't originally planned from the start and they took them out to get people excited for the DLC.

While I agree with the general principle that the company isn't obligated to make all content on the disc accessable (so long as there's no deceptive marketing involved); I'd be really interested in seeing the company's reaction if customers found a way to unlock the content (is there in this case? I dunno) themselves and distributed the information to do so to other customers for free.

I'd imagine any company willing to lock out content on the disc would understand that they'd just have to eat it in this scenario, but it'd be hilariously rich if a company cried foul and shrieked about piracy concerning customers hacking into their own discs.

BHK3

Banned
No...I'm just saying the content was supposed to be officially available a few months after release. If you are a pirate, you can enjoy it right now. I'm not implying anything.

But it is available, it's just hard to get, what does piracy have to do with this?

Negator

You know this never works especially when there is a large Defence force in this very thread willing to scoup it up the second it comes out.

It's the only power you as an individual consumer has. It doesn't matter how small it is, because what else are you going to do?

Raonak

Banned
It has for me.

I'd rather buy a fighting game with 50 characters rather then one with 38. Especially if wind up spending the same amount of money.

Are you not buying it because the DLC is on disk, or that it has DLC in general.
If you were gonna buy it, knowing theres DLC, then the fact it's on disk shouldn't really change anything.

im not buying it staight away anyway.

Sblargh

Banned
It has existed in competitive games on the past. However I don't recall it existing to QUITE this degree (I.E. 12 characters).

Arcade SF4 and Console SF4 kind of created this situation, where japanese players wouldn't know them (even making Justin use Fei Long against Daigo's Ryu in order to maybe get an advantage).

Mista Koo

I like to think that I own everything on the disc I bought. If I can somehow play the with the locked characters I will.
I'd say it's just like ripping your own games and playing them on emulators.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He said it was Capcom's fault for creating the current situation with on disc DLC and I corrected him. Because ya know Capcom wasn't the only ones doing this.

Use your context clues in reading comprehension!

I'm curious, was there a similar outcry when game prices were raised from $50 to $60?

Ummm yes there was a lot of bitching about $60 games.

But it is available, it's just hard to get, what does piracy have to do with this?

Huh? Maybe I'm confused, but I thought it was intended to be DLC a few months after release. You can't get the characters by beating the game or getting all the achievements, you HAVE to buy them to unlock them....in a few months when Capcom puts the unlock codes up for purchase. The people who have pirated the game have accessed said characters, so not only do they play the game early, they get the characters two months early as well. When I get my copy Tuesday, I can't play with any of them no matter what I do unless I void the warranty on my system and go that route.

Again, that is from my understanding of the situation. Are they unlockable on day one any other way? What do you mean "they are just hard to get"? This entire thread is pointless if so lol

Top Bottom