• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planned DLC content for SFxTekken found on the original disc

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly would be shocked if there isn't a super SFXTekken Game in 9-15 months if this sells well.

I don't care how many times they say there won't be. I don't fucking trust Capcom anymore.

I'm going to make a "best pizza" voting thread. I hear mods like polls. As much as thread derailments at least, I'm sure. Pizza poll sounds like a gaming side topic, right? Don't wanna post in the wrong forum.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member
If they're on the disc, finished, and you're still charging me for them despite the purchase I've already made, you have released an incomplete product and you don't deserve my money. I don't give a damn what the reason is. They pulled this shit with a lot of their other games. Does anyone not forget the "DLC" they had for Resident Evil 5 that Capcom outright lied about and claimed it was made separate from development, not on the disc, and all it took to play it was an unlock key?.

If you remember the RE5 fiasco, you remember that it was actually an 11mb file + a game patch, not just a random 100kb file to unlock the mercenaries stuff. While minor, not everything was included on the game disc...

LowParry

I'm going to make a "best pizza" voting thread. I hear mods like polls. As much as thread derailments at least, I'm sure. Pizza poll sounds like a gaming side topic, right? Don't wanna post in the wrong forum.

Naw, it'll get locked. Best to keep it here. Oh, let's not forget Papa Johns. They're pretty dope.

I think this is straight up bullshit, but there's not really much we can do about it.

What a bummer, right off the heels of finishing the fantastic RE:R I'm met with this slap in the face.

sure just slap a Yo Noid boxart in the OP and youll be golden!

For me personally I just try to steer clear of this nonsense...If its on the disc and I paid for the disc I should get it....but different times I guess with me apparently just renting the systems and games nowadays and not actually owning shit anymore

Om3ga

I don't mind DLC. Unlock codes are a common practice this generation and the only thing Capcom learned is that if you put the characters there, people will buy them. I hope they at least put out a "complete" edition with all the DLC characters already unlocked. I think I'm going to wait and NOT buy the game until that version is out or buy this game used.

14 characters is quite a bit of characters, at $5 each (or for 2) that would be $35-$70 to get a complete character roster... that's pretty expensive.

Honestly would be shocked if there isn't a super SFXTekken Game in 9-15 months if this sells well.

I don't care how many times they say there won't be. I don't fucking trust Capcom anymore.
They'll be busy making Ultimate Darkstalkers IV by then.

You are too slow.

VariantX

Looking at how much it costs to do patches and updates, it's probably a cost cutting measure to have some of the assets on disc. I just can't see the huge deal it is when all we buy is really a license to use the software. It's been that way since forever. I guess some are being made painfully aware of that during this console generation.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm content to wait for Super Street Fighter x Tekken Turbo Tag with previous character DLC included outside of new costumes.

The DLC issue has been raged to death for years now. I still dislike it (unless it is a proper expansion all but in name) and my conscious is untainted when I don't buy it, so debating over its merits and whether a hobby I thoroughly enjoy is facing doom because of this whole situation is slightly irrelevant. I'll let the peons splurge their wage away on "DAY ONE!!" items while I reap the benefits later on with GOTY releases at $10.

The biggest issue will be its impact on multiplayer. No one likes to be at a disadvantage because they didn't spend an extra $10 over their $60 purchase; hopefully it will brew company disinterest and cause customers to think before they run.

This sounds like something straight out of the early 90s.

Looking at how much it costs to do patches and updates, it's probably a cost cutting measure to have some of the assets on disc. I just can't see the huge deal it is when all we buy is really a license to use the software. It's been that way since forever. I guess some are being made painfully aware of that during this console generation.

Should the same rules apply to Capcom's PC release? Or can we blame piracy for the cost of DLC?

NfoRcEr

Neo Member

Nah man, paying $40,000+ dollars per patch to release a new patch that lets everyone play with or against a new character makes a lot of business sense for capcom... Hey, but at least it wouldn't be on the disc then!

I don't know what's better about this post: the fact that there's a thread stuck on top of Gaming side saying not to make voting threads, or that it's based on a bunch of shitty yet delicious analogies.

I know duckroll's announcement was the whole point of the joke, I just wanted to make two points instead of one

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the board as a whole wasn't so in tune with the cost, time and development involved in making video games. Maybe there would be less sympathetic posts towards the favor of the developers or publishers in cases such as this.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the board as a whole wasn't so in tune with the cost, time and development involved in making video games. Maybe there would be less sympathetic posts towards the favor of the developers or publishers in cases such as this.

Ignorance is bliss....

Foffy

Banned
Would anyone be willing to answer my question I asked earlier in the thread? I was honestly considering getting the game, assuming DLC was costumes, but I think they had pre-order characters or something that soured my view, then I heard of the Vita roster and felt like maybe I should be waiting...

If those characters are finished and Capcom's just sitting on them, I think I'll spend my time on more deserving fighting games.

If you remember the RE5 fiasco, you remember that it was actually an 11mb file + a game patch, not just a random 100kb file to unlock the mercenaries stuff. While minor, not everything was included on the game disc...

Ah, right. Perhaps my memory was fuzzy on that, but I know all of the shit in Mega Man 9 and 10 is not DLC, but unlock keys. Once Capcom released the first unlock key for each game, hackers got to the rest of the content in the game..which was everything else they wanted to charge for.

mclem

Not everything they are working on during development, just you know, the stuff that is actually ON THE DISC i buy they later try to sell me as "downloadable content".

So, just to verify: If everything else was the same, but they didn't put the content on the disc, you would have absolutely no problem with it?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Patches cost $$$ because it costs money to pay the people to make them.

BHK3

Banned
This isn't DLC. DLC is "extra" stuff released for sale or free after a game has been released. The characters are on the disc already, there's nothing extra for sale, they're locking you out of something you paid for. Very few companies do this and they are considered scum.

MightyKAC

I think this is straight up bullshit, but there's not really much we can do about it.

What a bummer, right off the heels of finishing the fantastic RE:R I'm met with this slap in the face.

I know exactly what I'm gonna do:

A. NOT buy this game day 1 and either wait for a price drop or a cheap used copy. (whichever one I find for 30 bucks first)

B. Continue to call this crap what it is (some anti-consumerist bullshit)

C. Enjoy playing this game 2 maybe 3 months later since the community will still be there and by then the game will be MUCH more reasonably priced AND have the added bonus of NOT feeling like an idiot for paying 60 bucks for this crap.

Foffy

Banned
This isn't DLC. DLC is "extra" stuff released for sale or free after a game has been released. The characters are on the disc already, there's nothing extra for sale, they're locking you out of something you paid for. Very few companies do this and they are considered scum.

The ones against that mold are the better ones. Rockstar and Bethesda are good examples of this. You can tell by the sheer size of the content it was made post-disc printing.

I hope Nintendo follows them when it comes to DLC. I don't want Fire Emblem to be an unfinished game that I have to pay even more for to unlock stuff on the cartridge. What they had going on with the Wifi "DLC" on DS was amazing, though. It unlocked stuff in the game, but you never once needed to pay for it.

Goon Boon

Banned
Is there any reason I can't buy the game, j-tag a 360, then unlock the characters already on the disc? I mean, since people are using the characters without the dlc actually being released it means they aren't just pirating the dlc and are unlocking content already on the disc. I barely use live anymore so I'm curious about this.

While I was the anti on disc DLC guy on the first page, I have to say the points people made were pretty true. You are told what you are getting before you pay, if you agree that what you are offered is worth $60, you're not really getting fucked.

We still have the right to not be okay with the situation, and not buy it, or buy it and bitch about it (but nobody will give a shit). I still think it's sleezy. But, the above point is true. The sleezy part is when shit like the RE5 thing happens and they flat out lie and say it's not on the disc.

Is there any reason I can't buy the game, j-tag a 360, then unlock the characters already on the disc? I mean, since people are using the characters without the dlc actually being released it means they aren't just pirating the dlc and are unlocking content already on the disc. I barely use live anymore so I'm curious about this.

Tread softly, my child (and anyone brave enough to answer).

BHK3

Banned
While I was the anti on disc DLC guy on the first page, I have to say the points people made were pretty true. You are told what you are getting before you pay, if you agree that what you are offered is worth $60, you're not really getting fucked.

Hiding things from the consumer isn't getting fucked?

The ones against that mold are the better ones. Rockstar and Bethesda are good examples of this. You can tell by the sheer size of the content it was made post-disc printing.

R* puts love and effort into their DLC, their extra stuff are expansion packs, and they released small stuff for Red Dead as well. Bethesda does the same, release big add-on packs with not a shred of them found in the original games except for maybe a name or two.

Right now a guy is uploading all the locked out character stuff on youtube and capcom is claiming copyrights left and right and getting his account closed, tell me, why? If there's nothing wrong with this practice then why is Capcom so scared of this getting a little popular? After all, We are told what we are getting for our money, right?

Foffy

Banned

Big grey area, friend. On one hand, it is on the disc, and some may feel entitled to access what they physically have in their hands, but on the other it is content that's intended to be purchased. That falls into a big hole, and the only answer one can make on that matter is up for them, even moreso than console/handheld modding.

I'm sure the stance on GAF here is doing that is a big no-no. You would be engaging in some sense of 'piracy', as you are taking content intended to be purchased. Personally, why not wait till the content is out and buy the game at the cheapest price, maybe even used? Don't embrace companies doing this shit at premium price if it bothers you that much, and perhaps show them your disdain by not supporting the launch of the product. That's what I'm doing with the shit Namco's doing with Armored Core V, due to them making weapons a preorder bonus for a competitive weapon-oriented game.

horsebird

Banned
I get that they budget for this stuff, but I doubt they're actually budgeting more money than they would otherwise have allocated to these projects.

So I guess console owners have to wait until a few months after the Vita version's release to be able to buy these characters. Capcom could (will?) also take back unsold copies of the vanilla console versions and repackage them with redemption codes as Super/Ultimate/Ultra SF x Tekken for maximum troll.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

I can tell this content was made after a disc was manufactured because of the size of the content and because of having seen some content in my time.

the "content" is the download key. You want to play semantics with what the word "content" means? At the end of the day, you were never going to get these extra characters for free. That was decided long ago. It's an added revenue stream for these companies. By all accounts it's planned far ahead of time as such. Most likely if it wasn't around you'd just be getting the same games we've always been getting and these extra characters would never exist. I don't' see the big deal. If you don't like the game, don't buy it or don't buy the DLC, but having extra content for people that love the games they play is not a bad thing to me. If you would have told me back in the day I could have paid $15 for a few extra characters in SF2 or Mortal Kombat, or some new maps in Goldeneye, 6 months after the game came out, I would have thought it was awesome.

nah they just would have made you purchase unlock codes for ken/ryu, scorpion/subzero, and facility/paintball mode

Gartooth

After Jill and Shuma-Gorath were locked DLC on vanilla MvC3, I expected something like this to happen. Its a shame that instead of 2 characters, it is now 12 characters being locked out.

Costumes are one thing, but characters? Come on Capcom! Well guess all we can do is wait to see what the pricing and release will be.

Arozay

I ordered the Street Fighter X Tekken, damn you Capcom!

MAi1L.png

I hope Nintendo follows them when it comes to DLC. I don't want Fire Emblem to be an unfinished game that I have to pay even more for to unlock stuff on the cartridge. What they had going on with the Wifi "DLC" on DS was amazing, though. It unlocked stuff in the game, but you never once needed to pay for it.

lol. I get it now. Some of you just want game companies to treat you like naive children?

Khezu

I understand how DLC works, and well I'm not a fan of it most of the time, I have come to accept it.

My problem is not that they did it, but just the shear volume of characters, 14(xbox version) is a lot of on disk DLC, not even counting all the costumes.

Foffy

Banned
I can tell this content was made after a disc was manufactured because of the size of the content and because of having seen some content in my time.

Heh, really though, the size of the content is quite clear that it's not on the disc. It's not something less than 20 MB or anything. And especially considering no hackers have found that stuff and were able to play with it before the game launches. ;)

lol. I get it now. Some of you just want game companies to treat you like naive children?

I hope you too don't think I mean "this is huge content, therefore it's really DLC!". It's more of looking at when it comes out, the size of the content (in filesize), and what's been revealed previous to its release. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years was a game on WiiWare that had about 75% of the game as downloadable after the initial download, but all of that was stuff unlocked with unlock keys. If a pirate or a hacker is able to access all of that stuff before it's officially released, it's not actual DLC.

Hope I cleared up what I meant a little bit.

Heh, really though, the size of the content is quite clear that it's not on the disc. It's not something less than 20 MB or anything. And especially considering no hackers have found that stuff and were able to play with it before the game launches. ;)

I hope you too don't think I mean "this is huge content, therefore it's really DLC!". It's more of looking at when it comes out, the size of the content (in filesize), and what's been revealed previous to its release. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years was a game on WiiWare that had about 75% of the game as downloadable after the initial download, but all of that was stuff unlocked with unlock keys. If a pirate or a hacker is able to access all of that stuff before it's officially released, it's not actual DLC.

Hope I cleared up what I meant a little bit.

DLC is simply downloadable content. It's an acronym. Whether it's 2 gigs or 2 megs, an entire file or just a key or 2 texture maps, if you are downloading content, it's DLC. Everyone's personal definition, or whether or not this fits yours, is irrelevant.

It's one thing to be "anti-DLC" as a whole, that's your prerogative. But I just find it silly to be against one form over another because of the way it's being delivered. That's just head-in-the-sand ignorance.

My point simply being is that if you don't think Rockstar and Bethseda put as much work into DLC pre-release as Capcom has with SFxT, you are being extremely naive. The difference simply is that Capcom, for whatever reason (to save bandwidth, would be my guess) put a bunch of it on the disc so they'd have less to download later. That's all.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I got this game for free from a co-worker (whupping his ass 10-0 in first to ten pays off) and I still won't pay Capcom a dime for extra characters. lol

LuchaShaq said:

The one, true way to deal with anything Capcom releases. Ever. Hell, 90% of developers today. I will have the popcorn .gifs ready when its announced.

ultron87

If the content included with the game off the shelf is not to your liking you shouldn't buy it.

At least they'll definitely work online whether my opponent has bought them or not.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm more mad at the people defending this TBH. Did you get kicked in the head? Seriously i want to know.

If it was complete in development and is on disc it should be available to all, if it was made after release by all means charge 100 bucks each a character.

Steaks

You don't own the code, content, and asset to the game when you buy the game. We have never own them at all, all we own is the license to access the game contents and it doesn't have to be complete access. It's much like Windows OS such as Windows 7/Vista. Even though each Windows installation disc contains the whole software for Starter, Standard, Professional, and Ultimate... You don't get acess to all the features of Ultimate when you pay for Starter even thought they are on the same disc. You have to pay more for more stuff.

When I buy a game disc, where do I sign a contract that everything on the disc doesn't belong to me?

I am under the assumption that unless I deliberately agree to a EULA that explicitly says I've purchased access to a service, that everything belongs to me in my purchase.

This isn't an argument or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

Gotchaye

I really don't get it. How is it not obvious to everyone that if consumers actually get really pissed off about on-disc DLC, that same DLC will just not be on the disc and they'll have to download it, which is worse for everyone but which apparently isn't nearly as scummy on the part of the publisher?

Remember that game development is not a serial process. If designing characters takes less time than making the rest of the game, and everything starts at the same time, your character designers are going to finish first. You could keep paying them and have them make more characters, but you're only going to do that if there's net expected value from it.

Now, it's obviously the case that some DLC is content that would have been in the game for free if there was no DLC. The marginal value of DLC to a publisher is huge, and it can make sense to trade some sales of your game for more DLC purchases, if the ratio is right. If DLC wasn't an option, you might have included that content anyway in order to generate more sales, but you wouldn't have been able to sell the game at a higher price point because the market resists that. It's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed that DLC encourages this; consumers are right to be sad that suppliers have gotten better at price discrimination. But the on-disc vs downloaded distinction is bizarre and ridiculous. Even the made-before-release and made-after-release distinction is strange; if that were really a big deal to consumers you'd just see some content that would otherwise have been made before release being delayed in production, and due to timing issues this might result in whole games being delayed more often and for longer than they currently are.

So, be upset that we have DLC at all, or don't be. But I haven't heard a not-crazy argument for anything else being particularly bad for the consumer.

Satchel

Banned
Too many overreact to this.

No one is yet to do it an a way that indicates the main game was compromised in any way.

Most gamers over 20-25 these days just expect too much.

My logic says that it makes sense, and there's nothing wrong with doing this. There's a piece of me that will always consider it a dick-move though, no matter what justifications are made

Whether it's already on the disc or not, is up to Capcom. The fact of the matter is 12 of these characters are going to cost you additional from the initial 60 dollars to play them. It's the developers prerogative to do so. If they wanted, they could lock out half the game on the disc as DLC if they wanted to. It's up to you - the consumer to make the judgement call if the game priced at 60 dollars with this amount of content is worth it. If it is, then it is. If locking out these 12 characters makes you feel that you aren't getting the complete value of what you're paying for, don't pay for it. Or get it later when it's cheaper.

The production and budget plan for this game was to create additional revenue on these characters. Whether this content is already on the disc or not is irrelevant.

Top Bottom