• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum talks about Bayo 1 on Wii U (took 1.5 years, also worked on by Bee Tribe)

I can't recall since I skipped cutscenes on all subsequent playthroughs (which is also when I used costumes), but I think all the cutscenes reflected your costumes.

Adaren

The PS3 and 360 version had FMV's.
I think
On the Treehouse live-stream they said they changed that to in-game cinematics (for the Wii U version).

Nope. Not a single one except for the post-credits scenes (as InfiniteNine pointed out).

I borrowed the first Bayonetta and thought that it was pretty neat. The last few bosses were especially crazy. I never got the chance to play around with the other weapons in the game though, so I'll definitely be checking that out in this new version. It's one of those times where my opinion changed because I did not like the demo for it.

A good port maybe. Most multiplats are worked on in tandum with their primary release, so a full game port after the fact, trying to do so as a quality release? Yeah I could see it taking that long.

Hopefully Bayo1 will be available at a discounted rate online to be a good "gate keeper" release to drive people to full priced bayo 2.

I'd like it if someone at E3 who gets to interview someone at Nintendo would ask about that. I'd like if they'd ask about the virtual console too. We might have to just wait until there is a Direct closer to release.

I hope the alternate costumes are available early and give you full access to her regular attacks. Bayonetta's character design has always kind of turned me off, but if I could play through looking like Samus I could get behind that.

balgajo

Good to know that WiiU can handle a last gen game with double of the framerate.
I wasn't going to buy, but now, with Bayo 1, I'm sold.

Kriken

Glad to hear what went into this port, gives me confidence that it wasn't some rushed, sloppily put together 2 weeks ago type port and will probably end up as the definitive version barring a PC port

Adaren

I'd look for the part of the stream, but they haven't uploaded it yet.

I remember the part. They were just commenting that all of the costumes are reflected in the cutscenes because Bayonetta's cutscenes are in-game, but they never said that was new to the Wii U version.

Trust me. It's near the top of the endless list of things I love about the game. They're definitely all in-game.

Just make an FMV with a different costume...

3 character + 14 costumes for one character + 15 costumes for another character + 20 different Umbran Elegance combos * 2 characters = 72.

I hope the alternate costumes are available early and give you full access to her regular attacks. Bayonetta's character design has always kind of turned me off, but if I could play through looking like Samus I could get behind that.

It's a cool gimmick

Check out the Treehouse vids to see the cool features

Peach's costume was the least interesting to me until I saw Bowser, but it's just eye candy

Is it normal that a port takes so long?
It does when you add cool stuff like this

nXIcO09.gif

DeaviL

Banned
I remember the part. They were just commenting that all of the costumes are reflected in the cutscenes because Bayonetta's cutscenes are in-game, but they never said that was new to the Wii U version.

Trust me. It's near the top of the endless list of things I love about the game. They're definitely all in-game.

Ok, cool.
But are they 30FPS then, and why?

Alx

It's a bummer that it's retail only... I intended to buy Bayo2 digital, and since I still have the 360 version (I even own it both on disc and digital) and don't really care about the Nintendo costumes (they don't really fit in the visual style of the game), I should skip it. But then it's still an improved Bayonetta. :/

I'm so glad to see that they've put some love and care into this. With Sega apparently having no interest in a PC version, it's great to know this game will get the definitive edition it deserves. And giving it away for free, no less! I Yeah'd like 300 Miiverse posts begging for a Wii U Bayonetta 1, but this was beyond my wildest dreams.

Adaren

That seems like a really long time to port for what sounds to be just a 1:1 transfer.

Given the phrasing, it's my interpretation that the idea started being bounced around 1.5 years ago. I doubt that a significant team actually put 1.5 years of work into it (though the quality of the port still looks perfect).

Bayonetta 1 now runs at a rock-solid 60 fps with no screen-tearing and what appears to be cleaner image quality. We can see this in the Gamersyde footage. It's looking GOOD.

I can't believe how smooth it looks. I look forward to Digital Foundry comparing the Wii U and 360 versions. I dare not dream of a Mario Kart / Mario 3D World style locked 60fps the whole time, but it could happen.

Is it really locked 60fps locked? Even the 360 version tanked hard during the whirlpool bit of the surfing boss. If it is, Wii U is more powerful than it gets credit for

Neiteio

Is it really locked 60fps locked? Even the 360 version tanked hard during the whirlpool bit of the surfing boss. If it is, Wii U is more powerful than it gets credit for
Well, we obviously can't say for sure the frame rate never dips throughout the entire game, but so far, so good

I can't believe how smooth it looks. I look forward to Digital Foundry comparing the Wii U and 360 versions. I dare not dream of a Mario Kart / Mario 3D World style locked 60fps the whole time, but it could happen.
Fairly certain 3D World is locked 60 fps, is it not?

nordique

Wasn't expecting this so it's a hugely awesome surprise.

Nintendo really delivered this e3 - go figure the one where I had the lowest expectations going in, I came out being the most pleased

Good to know that WiiU can handle a last gen game with double of the framerate.
I wasn't going to buy, but now, with Bayo 1, I'm sold.
The 360 version was 60 fps. Unlocked though, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version will be too despite the footage being stable (I'm pretty sure that was the case with The Wonderful 101 too - steady 60 fps footage but a lot of drops in the game).

I don't like the sound of this. It should, no doubt, be the best version on more powerful hardware and fine tuned for 1.5 years.

That's not how it works. Many of the performance issues on PS3 were in part due to the game being built from the ground up for the 360 and how it handles certain visual effects. They might, of course, have tweaked those for this port, but it's definitely not "newer hardware = more power = better version" just like that. 1.5 Years does sound promising though, especially with Kamiya overseeing the whole thing.

Really happy to hear about all of the effort they've put into this port. I just moved last month so my copy of the first game and my 360 are still in boxes so I'm so excited to play this version.

I wonder if they fixed the Durga/Kilgore glitch

Alx

Did people doubt that a WiiU was more powerful than a 360 ?

Raitaro

Bayonetta 1 now runs at a rock-solid 60 fps with no screen-tearing and what appears to be cleaner image quality. We can see this in the Gamersyde footage. It's looking GOOD.

It also has OPTIONAL touch controls (which everyone says are really well-done), as well as the option for Off-TV Play, and of course, Miiverse support.

And those Nintendo costumes aren't just for show. Bowser is one of Bayonetta's Wicked Weaves when she uses the Peach costume, and gold coins (as well as blue coins) fly out of enemies when they're defeated. Peach has her own unique whip weapon, while Link uses the Master Sword and Samus uses the arm cannon. Samus can even toggle her visor up and down, even during cutscenes.

This is the definitive edition of Bayonetta 1, a game where it wasn't unusual for people to invest 200+ hours... A game where multiple playthroughs are handsomely rewarded, and the sheer amount of content to unlock and combinations to try seem endless.

And it's included with the equally robust sequel... for FREE.

I. Can't. Get. Over. That. Value.

Great write-up. Makes me even more excited.

I still can't really believe Nintendo is actually doing this. Seems like one of those typical fan dreams that seems like a no-brainer to us, but that never comes true in reality. I would have paid money for a simple port of the 360 version of Bayo 1 on Wii U (especially since I was stuck with the PS3 version before and quit the game quite early in anticipation of better versions to come), but this is even better.

That reminds me: what are they doing with the Sega references and Space Harrier inspired section? I assume they will be in there right?

Neff

The cutscenes are now in-game,
that smoothness was probably because it was also 60FPS.

As mentioned, yeah they were always in-game.

But they're still not 60fps.

That reminds me: what are they doing with the Sega references and Space Harrier inspired section? I assume they will be in there right?

I don't doubt it. It's still Sega's game, all said and done, despite Nintendo paying for this port.

Also Super Mario Bros, F-Zero and Star Fox levels in Bayo 2.

Well, I can dream.

Adaren

I wonder if they fixed the Durga/Kilgore glitch

I was wondering the same. I feel like they might preserve it just because it's so hilarious...

However, there are supposedly some effects on Shuraba (bottom of the Trivia section) that were accidentally left out in the final version. Probably won't come back, but it'd be cool!

Yeah, I'm sure. Sega was still the original Publisher, and I'm sure that their blessing was needed for this port as well.

bumpkin

Judging from Gamersyde's 60fps floor footage, it is indeed even better than the 360 version. I haven't seen one frame drop, zero tearing, and even the 30fps cutscenes are a little more fluid.

They've obviously handled the port with a tremendous amount of love and care.

And it's fucking free!
Music to my ears. Bayo on 360 has been in my backlog for quite some time. Sounds like maybe I should just play it on Wii U instead.

Music to my ears. Bayo on 360 has been in my backlog for quite some time. Sounds like maybe I should just play it on Wii U instead.

Play through Bayonetta 1 now, then enjoy its benefits on the Wii U in October after you beat Bayonetta 2 ;)

Bayonetta is my favorite 360 game, it's that good. Now if Nintendo could somehow scoop up a Vanquish 1 + 2 pack... I'd explode.

ec0ec0

Based Platinum and Nintendo.

There's no reason anymore for a Wii U owner to not get this game. And I really hope most people will give it a chance. The first one was great and I'm expecting the second one to be amazing too :)

little kids you know ;P this game is a little...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thrilled to be getting what could be the definitive version of Bayonetta free, with purchase of Bayo 2. What a package! Nintendo truly had a killer E3.

Seik

Banned
I want it, so much.

Platinum ended up outsourcing much of the project to a little-known studio based in Osaka called Bee Tribe, with "every aspect of its development" being overseen by Kamiya.

:lol

I can see why Kamiya did this, no fuck-up twice it seems! :D

Top Bottom