• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
But by using only what was leaked, it gives people (wrongly or not) the impression that they know all the characters/stages in the game. It inadvertently kills hype since there is a lot less to look forward to

If they had shown something that hadn't been revealed yet, it keeps people guessing. Gives them something to anticipate, and maybe wonder that there is a lot more to be revealed

I'm sure they have a developmental process to follow along side the PR one, so it may not be easy to switch around the order of the character reveals. But you would think they would at least clearly say "there some characters to be there at launch that are not yet leaked" in order to make people go out of there way to keep up on their planned announcements.

Mr. Fix

Are we talking about Snake? Well to be fair if he aint a playable character I would be surprised if he doesn't show up as DLC (at least as Big Boss just in time to market MGS5 lol). Who knows tho.

Negotiation could be more lenient once the game's out (and making money). And they've got Raiden in already, but I still doubt they're going to prioritize on him. Probably more cash-ins like Ryu or Kat.

Negotiation could be more lenient once the game's out (and making money). And they've got Raiden in already, but I still doubt they're going to prioritize on him. Probably more cash-ins like Ryu or Kat.
I would be extremely surprised if they don't push Snakes inclusion as DLC just because they have Raiden allready. If the game is a success its a great deal for both Sony and Konami. Then again it is almost unspeakable not to have Snake on the initial roster (theres still hope ;) ) as much as I do like having ninja Raiden.

SmithnCo

seriously tho I hope the game is a success and we get a fast sequel for PS4 with a bigger budget now that the core mechanics and such are in place. Maybe around~late 2014-early2015. A man can dream ^^.

Yeah, hopefully they dig into secondary characters a bit too. Maybe not too overboard but I need Lammy.

ascii42

Also true, but i would prefer new characters over a skill set of a known character.

Sure, but let's say there in fact new characters, wouldn't it be better to save them until later, vs having the last 4 character reveals be characters we already know?

Noi

Sure, but let's say there in fact new characters, wouldn't it be better to save them until later, vs having the last 4 character reveals be characters we already know?

That'd be fine if the leak hadn't revealed so many characters. They later went and said that the leak wasn't representative of the final roster... and showed 4 character at Gamesom that were part of the leak. I don't think I'm alone in having expected them to show at LEAST one character that wasn't part of the leak, just as a way of saying "we still have surprises left to show."

Depends on the reception they see in the leaks. If they want to assure us that there are more characters we haven't seen, there's nothing wrong with showing just one of them, right?

This too. Though admittedly, knowing beforehand that Dino was in the game softened the blow a bit when they did actually reveal him, since it got the initial freakout out of the way earlier.

Mr. Fix

Depends on the reception they see in the leaks. If they want to assure us that there are more characters we haven't seen, there's nothing wrong with showing just one of them, right?

To be honest snake would be pretty boring character to play with.

I wouldn't bet on it. Radec is awesome and so seems Drake and I think these 2 would be the closest to him. Also theres a ton of fun not so serious moves outside of fist+guns he could use kinda like Drakes barrels and falling floors. Just to list a few moves on top of my mind:

Barrel roll from MGS4
Metal Gear mark 2
C4 is allways awesome
Nikita is allways awesome
Cardboard box block/attack

SmithnCo

Him being in the cardboard box if you hold L1 like Sly would be interesting. Maybe it would block normals or something. Either that or stealth camo.

He definitely wouldn't be boring if they give him more than just guns. Even then, he could have a lot of variation, for instance the tranq gun idea.

J-Tier

Him being in the cardboard box if you hold L1 like Sly would be interesting. Maybe it would block normals or something. Either that or stealth camo.

He definitely wouldn't be boring if they give him more than just guns. Even then, he could have a lot of variation, for instance the tranq gun idea.

Well, Raiden would be still more interesting. Regardless, Snake is more iconic. Hopefully we get both.

SmithnCo

Well, Raiden would be still more interesting. Regardless, Snake is more iconic. Hopefully we get both.

Raiden definitely would have more combo ability and be flashier. Snake would likely be a trap/long range fighter. So I'm definitely more excited to see Raiden. Especially after seeing Dante... Based on Revengence footage, Raiden could look even crazier.

Also hope he has MGS2 and MGS4 closed visor alts.

Noi

Only if it's this MGS2 alt.

Raiden.jpg

I was hoping for some surprise announcements at gamescon, then they didnt even change their reveals to something that wasnt leaked. Which i thought was odd...
It unfortunately makes sense that there arent any more on disk characters because if that wasnt the case then why wouldnt they just change the reveal to something that we didnt know?

But heres to hoping.

*raises glass*

Unfortunately, the way you're looking at it makes too much sense... I'm definitely of the mind now that your source is correct and that the original leak is all we're getting. Bummer. Oh well, at least it'll come off as a really nice surprise now if that ends up not being the case after all.

I hear you man. I truly wish we could even hope to see him in a PSAS, SSB, *vC game, or even (gasp) a mega man game. I really don't understand why Capcom has chosen to let that ship sail.

I hear you. I'm on a total Capcom boycott (except for Okami HD, and I will support one of the best games of all time no matter who publishes it) until they stop neglecting Mega Man. I will start supporting Capcom again as soon as they show me they're ready to fully recommit to the character and series that originally put them on the map (and no, Rockman Xover does not count as "recommitting"). Honestly though, not buying Capcom games these days is pretty easy for me since I really don't care about Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, or Resident Evil from a gameplay perspective (even though I recognize their quality). Not that they care about my support, but hey. :p

Not that there's anything wrong with pointing out the negatives. Hopefully they'll actually see where they went wrong next time.

(spergpost incoming)

The entire internet and us pointed out those aesthetic flaws over and over again. They even have the perfect stadium assets available in the character trailers that could boost this game's aesthetic value up to several degrees. Not exaggerating, it would ooze with style and attitude, increasing the fun that you have with the game and the excitement that it can evoke. While some people have low standards and don't care about things that make sense in a 60 dollar product or simple things you take for granted, like transition animations that you can even do with goddamn Powerpoint, there are people that do have an eye for it (not even me, plenty of other designers I knew back from art college think it looks simple) and who do care. The LBP stage is flowing with personality, it even has little easter eggs that I didn't even notice until others pointed it out (the popit menu deleting Buzz's shades), yet they slack off on things that re-occur the most. It's all so inconsistent. I've sperged about the UI enough already so no need to revisit that.

So far, Superbot doesn't seem to care about feedback though, I wonder why they even have a community manager besides luring the FGC to the game. *shrugs* No blood on our hands if the reviewers rip the presentation apart; a while ago I did my best to offer a huge amount of help by collecting beta feedback (even on other forums like GameFAQs, hi!) and turning it into a report, complete with breakdowns on what to improve and why (the UI rant was based a bit on that) and how other games that don't have an inebriated toddler as a UI designer actually showcase functional designs to improve gameplay. Heard nothing, so I assumed they had things under control and that feeling was later on strengthened by Clock's post, saying that the char select screen wasn't final.

Then the Ratchet/Dante/Spike/Sack trailer was released and all they did was delaying the death sparks, add a sound effect that even a 2 dollar laser gun would be ashamed to make and light the super meter's 3 on fire. Not that impressed, I said back then I was waiting for more improvements. I still am.

I have to emphasize that this isn't about personal ego-tripping (my passion definitely can make it seem that way, sorry about that to the lurkers), they can use anyone's ideas if it helps them out in development, I just want the game to turn out right according to current standards set by other games in the same genre and the same price tier. Hell, maybe even setting some new standards for other companies to beat. It's frustrating that a game that many people have been looking forward to for so many years is made by Western people, yet the feedback influences so far seems to be absolutely zero. So close, yet so far away.

I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love to see the next trailer showing off a new hud to display crucial information better. Hell, it could be OPTIONAL. If a gamer has problems following the hectic action, then give them the choice to activate some bells and whistles to help out. That's what it means to make a game; go the extra mile for the important things. Don't cut corners and expect everyone to like it, because I can assure that many people will have problems with it. Keep in mind that many people spent hours helping you guys out, not just on GAF, but other forums too. All the people doing write ups on the game and its characters, posting impressions, informing the haters and skeptics that it's not just a Smash Bros ripoff; this is a group effort. Effort is appreciated best if it comes from both ways. The ball is in your court now, prove to us that you genuinely care about feedback and the many hours we all invested.

It's rare that I'm this excited and frustrated at the same time for a game. In retrospect, I do care too much sometimes. I care too much right now. It's 3:21 am. Goddamn Superbot.

TheMink

(spergpost incoming)

The entire internet and us pointed out those aesthetic flaws over and over again. They even have the perfect stadium assets available in the character trailers that could boost this game's aesthetic value up to several degrees. Not exaggerating, it would ooze with style and attitude, increasing the fun that you have with the game and the excitement that it can evoke. While some people have low standards and don't care about things that make sense in a 60 dollar product or simple things you take for granted, like transition animations that you can even do with goddamn Powerpoint, there are people that do have an eye for it (not even me, plenty of other designers I knew back from art college think it looks simple) and who do care. The LBP stage is flowing with personality, it even has little easter eggs that I didn't even notice until others pointed it out (the popit menu deleting Buzz's shades), yet they slack off on things that re-occur the most. It's all so inconsistent. I've sperged about the UI enough already so no need to revisit that.

So far, Superbot doesn't seem to care about feedback though, I wonder why they even have a community manager besides luring the FGC to the game. *shrugs* No blood on our hands if the reviewers rip the presentation apart; a while ago I did my best to offer a huge amount of help by collecting beta feedback (even on other forums like GameFAQs, hi!) and turning it into a report, complete with breakdowns on what to improve and why (the UI rant was based a bit on that) and how other games that don't have an inebriated toddler as a UI designer actually showcase functional designs to improve gameplay. Heard nothing, so I assumed they had things under control and that feeling was later on strengthened by Clock's post, saying that the char select screen wasn't final.

Then the Ratchet/Dante/Spike/Sack trailer was released and all they did was delaying the death sparks, add a sound effect that even a 2 dollar laser gun would be ashamed to make and light the super meter's 3 on fire. Not that impressed, I said back then I was waiting for more improvements. I still am.

I have to emphasize that this isn't about personal ego-tripping (my passion definitely can make it seem that way, sorry about that to the lurkers), they can use anyone's ideas if it helps them out in development, I just want the game to turn out right according to current standards set by other games in the same genre and the same price tier. Hell, maybe even setting some new standards for other companies to beat. It's frustrating that a game that many people have been looking forward to for so many years is made by Western people, yet the feedback influences so far seems to be absolutely zero. So close, yet so far away.

I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love to see the next trailer showing off a new hud to display crucial information better. Hell, it could be OPTIONAL. If a gamer has problems following the hectic action, then give them the choice to activate some bells and whistles to help out. That's what it means to make a game; go the extra mile for the important things. Don't cut corners and expect everyone to like it, because I can assure that many people will have problems with it. Keep in mind that many people spent hours helping you guys out, not just on GAF, but other forums too. All the people doing write ups on the game and its characters, posting impressions, informing the haters and skeptics that it's not just a Smash Bros ripoff; this is a group effort. Effort is appreciated best if it comes from both ways. The ball is in your court now, prove to us that you genuinely care about feedback and the many hours we all invested.

It's rare that I'm this excited and frustrated at the same time for a game. In retrospect, I do care too much sometimes. I care too much right now. It's 3:21 am. Goddamn Superbot.

Word

Noi

Second. I was initially skeptic over the gameplay, which the beta proved me wrong about, so now I really really want Superbot to nail the aesthetics, roster and sound. It'll make all the difference between "must get this day one" purchase and "eh, I can wait a bit to get it."

Mr. Fix

Well put, CC.

So far, Superbot doesn't seem to care about feedback though, I wonder why they even have a community manager besides luring the FGC to the game. *shrugs*

They were discussing this in the fighting game weekly thread. It's true though. Clock's only here to promote (this is a serious issue, both in and outside the game) and play damage-control. There's still time for changes, so who knows, right? But even now, I'm keeping my expectations low, which is really unfortunate given the potential the game had in so many aspects.

Ran rp

(spergpost incoming)

Well that sums up my thoughts and feelings. Like I said earlier, I hope they do have a build of the game that's drastically improved upon aesthetics-wise and that they just don't want to share it with the public yet. I don't know why they wouldn't want to, but I don't understand a lot of the decisions made concerning this game.

Wrong. If you're gonna argue that the new Dante's not a PS-Allstar (he isn't), despite his predessor being PS-heavy, then you have remain consistent by saying that Raiden isn't a PS All-Star either. This isn't the MGS2 or MGS4 version, it's the MGR one. Both aren't canon to their respective series.

Looking forward to it!

What do u mean not cannon what I heard is rsing picks up after 4.

How is it their blunder if they couldn't get third parties on board, though?

There's only so much money Sony can sink into PBR.

This isn't Gran Turismo, where it's bound to sell 8-10 million copies off the bat. PBR isn't going to have a 60 million dollar budget.

The game already has, at the least, 4 third party characters in the game: Big Daddy, Dante, Heihachi, Raiden (possibly). That's 4 individual third party deals. In my book, that's pretty impressive. This isn't like Marvel vs Capcom, where the only people striking the deal were Marvel and Capcom. When Nintendo got Snake in Brawl, that was just a deal between Nintendo and Konami.

This is Sony, Capcom, 2K, Namco, and Konami. 4 distinct deals had to be in place just to get those 4 characters in the game. You're all basically asking Sony to ink deals with Capcom, 2K, Namco, Konami, Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Rockstar, Eidos, Square-Enix, etc. That's crazy, especially for an unproven IP with a budget of, I'm pretty sure, less than 20 million.

Those dollars can only stretch so far, and I think it's kind of unfair to get on SuperBot's case, when 1, it's Sony's wallet, and 2, not all third parties are playing friendly, and more than likely, asking for too much in terms of licensing fees.

Sure, it would be great if we got every single one of our ideal picks, but this is business, and it's out of our hands, and it's out of SuperBot's hands. They've done the best they can with the time and budget they've been given, and, fortunately, the game is actually fun, which is the most important factor.

@jtir, I'm also a big fan of crossover games, but I'm primarily and Smash Bros and MvC fan. This one is now added to that list based off of my time with the beta.

the problem is though I think crash, spyro and cloud in that order should be the focus of the third party budget and if there is any left go after other less demanded characters like dante and raiden. It may hurt sony pocket book at the time but I think it would made for a better game which would translate to better sales.

J-Tier

the problem is though I think crash, spyro and cloud in that order should be the focus of the third party budget and if there is any left go after other less demanded characters like dante and raiden. It may hurt sony pocket book at the time but I think it would made for a better game which would translate to better sales.

You have no idea what Activision might be charging.

Keep in mind that the new Skylanders is banking them hundreds of millions of dollars, and they're expecting to net more than $500million off of it. Why would they care about this "puny" game called Playstation something-or-other, what would they gain from it?

Mr. Fix

Rising is a spin-off.

In a perfect world. :I

Jawmuncher

I don't know if anyone brouht it up, but with that supposedly "big" MGS conference with a lot of different announements. Perhaps Snake would be announced there by himself or maybe him and raiden?

Also considering they're probably going to announce a new MGS game perhaps Snake, might be whatever version they have prepped to show. (So I would guess Big Boss since the series seems to be stuck in the prequels now)

Rising is a spin-off.

Rising is a spinoff but from what I recall it's still canon.
Much like a lot of the Resident Evil Spin Off games.

Noi

Rising is a spin-off.

A spin-off of a series isn't always non-canon, and all that's been said about the plot for Rising is that it's 9 years after MGS4 and not part of the Metal Gear Solid series, though that can just as easily mean it's only not part of the Tactical Espionage Action line of games, not that it's not in the same continuity. Unless Kojima outright says otherwise (which he's been secretive about) like he did for Snake's Revenge or it's as obvious as it is for Ac!d and Ghost Babel, there's no evidence to the contrary.

I don't particularly mind if it's non-canon, in any case. Metal Gear is full of crazy shit anyway.

Mr. Fix

Metal Gear is full of crazy shit anyway.

This is true. I'm not sure if Kojima's in charge of the story, but it's his work that I do consider part of the same universe. If there is an MGS5, then that'd mean whatever happens in Rising should affect/be related to it, and I doubt that it would.

KalBalboa

Banned
Anyone else doing "homework" for PBR?

I just finished Sly #1 and began the Jak Collection so I could get my legacies in before the game hits.

KalBalboa

Banned
Jak and soon to be Ratchet for me. Two gems from the ps2 era. Not sure if I should dip into Sly though.

I got Sly thanks to the free PS Plus version of the first game a few months back. I never played it back in the day, but I wound up liking it so much I got the platinum.

Those hd collections are gems.

fernoca

Any hands-on, reports, whatevers..on the Vita version?
I preodered it (no PS3 at the moment :p); but basically on the promise that it will be pretty much the same game but with the scaled down visuals, etc. (but still look great on it).

J-Tier

I just finished Sly #1 and began the Jak Collection so I could get my legacies in before the game hits.

Yep, I played through Infamous 1 & 2, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper for this game.

Any hands-on, reports, whatevers..on the Vita version?
I preodered it (no PS3 at the moment :p); but basically on the promise that it will be pretty much the same game but with the scaled down visuals, etc. (but still look great on it).

The PS3 version comes with the vita version free.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yep, I played through Infamous 1 & 2, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper for this game.

The PS3 version comes with the vita version free.

I think the PS2 platformers warranted "homework" the most due to a mixture of how many there were, how good they all wound up being, and how they all recently got HD versions.

I grew up on Twisted Metal and played Parappa, God of War, Uncharted, and Infamous into the ground too, but those big three on PS2 snuck right past the teenage version of me.

J-Tier

I think the PS2 platformers warranted "homework" the most due to a mixture of how many there were, how good they all wound up being, and how they all recently got HD versions.

I grew up on Twisted Metal and played Parappa, God of War, Uncharted, and Infamous into the ground too, but those big three on PS2 snuck right past the teenage version of me.

Ah I see, I was late to the PS3 era titles as I bought the console years (probably) late, but as for the PS1/PS2 era, I was pretty much on top of it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I got Medievil off PSN and Ape Escape 1&2 off Ebay. Ape Escape seems ok. Its very interesting to me to go back and see the game act like dual analog was the craziest newest most awesome thing ever, because it was. Gameplay is pretty bland, but I love seeing all the different situations the monkeys are in. Unfortenately it appears that this version of spike is completely different from the one in PSAS, with them taking the very different Japanese only version of him, proving once again that Superbot hates american fans of japanese games.

And I really hated Medievil. Poor art style, poor controls, poor gameplay. Don't know at all why anyone would ask for that guy unless you get horny looking at his picture or something. I brought it up before but instead of anyone coming up with good reasons why they like him or his game, they just posted pictures of him like creepy 12 year old girls with Bieber crushes.

TheMink

Technically between 2 and 4.

And i thought you werent interested in this game anymore :p

If there is an MGS5, then that'd mean whatever happens in Rising should affect/be related to it, and I doubt that it would.

if there is any justice in the world, hopefully it will play out like this:

Sarah Connor Chronicles:::Terminator franchise

-as-

Rising :::: Metal Gear Franchise

as.in.totally.forgetable.irrelevant.and.noncanon.

period.

Spinluck

It's frustrating that a game that many people have been looking forward to for so many years is made by Western people, yet the feedback influences so far seems to be absolutely zero. So close, yet so far away.

O..M...G...

How can I not have noticed this before??....

Easter devs are the Kings of Fighting(pun intended) games, bar none.

Year in and year out they dominate fighter genre, and have basically ruled it. I hope for a sequel(if there is one) Sony takes a hint from Nintendo, and teams up their Western Studio with an outside dev team in the East. Cause when it comes to fighter mechanics, I think the West is still far behind... what do we have besides Mortal Kombat?

I hope I'm not sounding ridiculous, I think Superbot are a talented bunch, and yes- they do have experience it this field. But so far, lets be freakin' honest here, all I see GAF do for the most part is complain how it's not enough like this fighter(made in the East), and the presentation isn't as good as this fighter(ehhrm, also made in the East). Then the pics or select screens and whatnot start to surface. So.. anyone agree? Or somewhat agree?

I personally am still very excited for the game, and don't have too many problems with it. Just a hand full of gripes, and that's about it. I just think a lot of people turned off by it, feel it's lacking that "UMPH" factor that a lot of fighters from the East have. I can't put my finger on it, it's almost like a certain charm. Just look at how UMvC3 takes the most different characters and molds them so perfectly, even better than Smash Bros. in making each character "belong together", IMO. Nintendo only had Sonic and Snake to mold into the Nintendo Universe, but they're both still characters conceptualized in the East. Capcom had like a shitload of Marvel characters, that they had to mold with Japanese made characters. Out of all 50 of them, I can't think of one that looks waaay out of place.

I think I'm onto something here...

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the quality of the combat or dismissing it because it's Western, more like that there is no language barrier and that we are closer to the development team in terms of communication than a dev team that's all-Eastern. That's why I meant so close, yet so far away. I get your point, though.

Spinluck

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the quality of the combat or dismissing it because it's Western, more like that there is no language barrier and that we are closer to the development team in terms of communication than a dev team that's all-Eastern. That's why I meant so close, yet so far away. I get your point, though.

I understand, it was just the trigger word(western) that made me think of all that.

Shahed

I got Sly thanks to the free PS Plus version of the first game a few months back. I never played it back in the day, but I wound up liking it so much I got the platinum.

Those hd collections are gems.

Yep. Did the exact same thing. While curious, I could never make myself takd the plunge on these. Then I git Sly 1 on PS+. Quite enjoyed. I bought the Sly, Jak and Ratchet HD Collections from that point. They make good homework as well!

Finished Sly and Jak, and the first Ratchet game. Sly 3 seems like the best game thus far. They went from the most repetitive game I played in ages in Sly 2, to one of the most varied in Sly 3. Every mission was unique in that game.

As fot the whole Western thing, I won't get involved on the gameplay side of things. I'm not the best at fighters, so my opinion probably wouldn't be very valid in that regard.

What I will say is that Japanese games tend to put more emphasis on aesthetic and music, where I think they have an advantage over Western games. Especially the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom