• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

The physics look almost exactly like Smash Bros. This isn't a bad thing really, but I'm not very optimistic about the lack of damage meters or smash/"ringout" wins. Maybe it'll help differentiate it from Smash, but it's part of the latter game's appeal.

I agree that its part of the latter game's appeal, but I don't see this as a bad way of playing a game like this. Think of it like the dragoon parts. The game is a frantic tug of war to keep someone from reaching their supers. They build meter and you frantically try to take it away. Like when folks would nearly have the full dragoon and you'd frantically rush them down to try and knock parts away from them to avoid the KO.

It'll definitely create a more tense environment in the game that'll make folks play differently than they do in Smash. I'd love to play this sometime to see how this mechanic feels.

hitlerat

"Nice to meet you. I'm an assassin.""

NfnEs.jpg

Flonne pleaseeeeeeee!!!

Ploid 3.0

Just watched that first Gametrailers video and the whole they're like "this mechanic is KIND OF like Smash Bros but it's different because _______."

The super system sounds pretty broken, at least the way he described Parappa's Level 3. Being able to kill every opponent no matter where they are on the stage or in relation to your own character doesn't sound like a really fun implementation for a fighting game.

Maybe Parappa will be a huge target making people focus on keeping his meter down while carrying on with their duties. Like the guy said, it's probably best to use level 1 and 2 with Parappa.

guys, where is that info about the game being in 60fps, was it from twitter?

Geoff's twitter after the show.

229d49b35e7c746c4d01424df08915a6bd5dd822.jpg

-viper-

Banned
graphics look horrendous.

this game barely has anything going on and it looks so bad. its just four bloody people in a screen. the 60fps excuse doesn't fly here, because GT5 runs at a much higher resolution AND at 60FPS, with 16 highly detailed cars (instead of 4 characters)

sure, the gameplay might be good, but graphics are just as important as gameplay.

sometimes, good graphics make me enjoy a game more. e.g. crysis.

darkwing

Another update on your info would you kind sir? :)

here it is

Character Moves
"Every character has approximately two dozen attacks in their arsenal, and they vary wildly".
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...04/27/ps-all-stars-battle-royale-preview.aspx

Single Player
The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player, campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Game Modes
The game features a number of cool game modes for both single and multiplayer, with a focus on online play which features a robust tournament mode. Players will be able to compete against each other as well as play cooperatively. We can’t wait for you all to try it for yourself.

Until then, please stay tuned; there are plenty more features, characters, and levels we want to show. And you definitely don’t want to miss what we’ve got in store for E3!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/see-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-in-action/

2 game modes revealed and played so far which are shown in the videos now
One mode where there is a set amount of lives that the player has, and will be out of the match if he runs out of it, another is a time based mode where the winner is the one who has dealt the most amount of KOs but there is no KO counter shown on the screen
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-interview-playstation-all-stars/729624?

Additional Character info from IGN
Parappa the Rapper has strength at close range, where he can use his Chop Chop Master Onion-learned kung-fu stylings on his opponents.
Colonel Radec on the other hand, is almost entirely ineffective unless at a distance, relying on a plethora of Helghan firearms and pieces of technology from afar.
Sweet Tooth's considerable strength complements his brutal fighting style
Kratos' skill with his arsenal of weapons is obvious.
Sly Cooper's agility shines through almost immediately, and he has a special skill that no other character has. He forfeits his ability to block -- something every other character can do -- instead going invisible when the L1 button is held down. This allows him to sneakily slink around and get the jump on other characters.
Fat Princess, on the other hand, relies on her deceptive, innocent look to get in close and cause the brunt of her damage. She can even summon forth minions such as the sword-wielding warrior or the fire-throwing wizard from her self-titled game to briefly supplement her attacks.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Game Items
the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

Drop item through the R1 button

Items like rocket launchers and the Spear of Destiny from God of War will occasionally drop onto the battlefield, and they can be used to reduce the super meter of opponents. AP orbs can be granted by certain moves, such as Parappa's Boxy Boy boombox ability.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729632?

Combos
Special emphasis on combos....
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729632?

Interactive Stages
One stage, Dreamscape, looks like it came straight out of LittleBigPlanet, complete with stage creation pop-up menus in the background, randomly selecting platform pieces for you and your opponents to overcome. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the screens in the back of the stage become a backdrop for a Buzz! quiz show, with Buzz coming out to ask random trivia questions. In one fight we were asked, "Which Sony handheld was released in 2011." The text from the four multiple choice answers fly over each fighter, and it seems you're supposed to attack the correct answer. It's strange, but it works, and makes for some really wacky fights.

The other three stages we saw were just as fun. The Hades stage starts out looking just like God of War, but the background transitions to feature scenes and characters from Patapon, cute cheering and song included.

Another stage called Metropolis is straight out of Ratchet and Clank at first, with its moving platforms and conveyer belts, but then rain starts to pour, and a huge hydra pops up from the back to attack fighters.

My favorite stage mixes a Jak and Daxter village with Hot Shots Golf. From nowhere, with no notice, Hot Shots characters begin using the play field as a driving range, with ultra-hot golf balls raining down on you and your opponents like missiles.

Dreamscape feels different than the other stages, as it's set in the level editor of LittleBigPlanet. You see Pop-It bubbles and creation elements spring up throughout the fight, which creates different platforms to battle on. Keeping with the hybrid stage theme, it eventually turns into an impromptu game of Buzz! Quiz. A Playstation-related question appears on the screen, and the fighters have to stand on the platform that corresponds with the correct answer to avoid taking damage.

Character Glow
Visual indicator for Supers being ready

Super Attacks
Each character 3 different super attack levels, each progressively takes longer to gain but becomes stronger, for example Level 1 is good for a single opponent, Level 3 for multiple opponents

Third Party Characters
3rd party characters are confirmed and should be revealed in the coming months or in E3

Super Attack Strategy
Once you’ve reach level 1, 2, or 3, you’re free to unleash the super, but as game director Oman Kendall explained, a well-timed level 1 super can be just as effective as a level 3 if used smartly, suggesting that timing can often be more important than sheer power level. Based on the matches I played, this absolutely ended up being the case (I think my 5-0 record more than proved that). So while turning Sweettooth into a towering, machine gun-armed Mechatooth or riding around on a giant chicken as Fat Princess can be highly deadly, so too can PaRappa’s skateboarding attack, because it all depends on who happens to be in your immediate area at the time you trigger the super, adding a great level of strategy to the chaotic action.
http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/66057...battle-royale-hands-on-preview-smashy-smashy/

SuperBot
The team includes fighting designers with experience on games as new as UFC Undisputed and as old as X-men Next Dimension. Even Ed Ma, a preeminent Street Fighter IV player, is on the combat team.

Game Director Omar Kendall tells me that though the game has a casual appeal, they want it to serve doubly as a competitive fighting experience.
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/27/2977903/playstation-all-star-battle-royale

60fps
And yes, the game is running at 60 FPS. So many cool little moments in this game.
https://twitter.com/#!/geoffkeighley/status/195740239870967808
Media Impressions
Destructoid
After several matches I came away pretty excited about All-Stars. Smash rip-off? Who cares! It's so fun that I'm not even drawing the connection anymore. It's so easy to get in and get wrapped up that I found that a string of fights takes place before you know it. Even with only six characters and four stages I'm sure I could have played all night if permitted. The characters are are an obvious draw, and with their fantastic control you want to keep playing them. The mashed-up stages are also a riot, and are all eye candy to boot. If they get the balance down pat and add the right characters, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will be a smashing success. I'm sure they can pull it off, as the foundation has already been laid for a great fighting game.
Gameinformer
There's no denying where the inspiration for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale comes from, but I had fun during my time with it. Sony's characters may not fit the colorful, family-friendly mold of Nintendo's creations, but their differences make for some entertaining and varied attacks and play styles. While plenty of roster reveals are inevitable before Battle Royale is released, I can't help but wonder if it'll compare to the variety in Nintendo's fighter. That said, we wouldn't be surprised to see big names like Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Jak, and Ratchet join the fray (Crash Bandicoot is likely excluded thanks to the fact that he isn't Sony-exclusive anymore). It's far from a novel idea, but All-Stars Battle Royale made for a fast-paced and fun four-player experience in my time with it.
IGN
After playing the game, speaking to the president of the studio and then playing the game some more, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is no longer a game I'm profoundly skeptical of, but one of my most-anticipated upcoming projects. There's no reason to be coy about its inspiration -- Super Smash Bros. undeniably paved the way for it -- but no reason exists to dismiss it as a clone, either. After all, it's not very often that a clone gives its inspiration a serious run for its money. And from what I've seen and played of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, it seems ready to do just that.
jstevenson
The camera is what makes it seem so familiar, I don't think the actual play isn't similar to Smash's main scoring tenants (ie, knocking people off the sides of the level, damage making you fly farther, etc).

Sure it's looks similar, but from what I have played, it's definitely its own unique play-style.

just tell me if I've missed anything lol

KingK

Imagine it's Smash Bros., but reversed.

As you hit someone, instead of his percentage going up and flying further, your percentage goes up to make your hits harder. It makes a free-for-all a bit different, but a 1-on-1 would play identically.

Now, at about 70%, you might get a KO if you're good. At 140%, you're probably going to get a KO if you're decent. At over 200%, you're basically guaranteed a KO.

That seems to be the general concept of the game. Similar to Smash Bros. in the sense that you beat up your opponent a bit, then finish him off with a powerful attack, but with a completely different mechanic.

Yeah, that's kinda the way I see it as well.

I'm still not sure if it will work as well as Smash does, but I'm very excited to try it out.

Shiggy

You don't have to be obtuse; you could just quote me the posts explaining your reasoning, because all I'm seeing are replies containing insightful declarations like - and I'm paraphrasing here - "nothing Sony has is as popular as Mario in Germany" or "SSB wouldn't have been as popular without its top-tier franchises like Mario." In response I've merely highlighted how tiresome your comparison is because it in no way effects Battle Royale's potential success, while at the same time acknowledging that it's doubtful BR will sell as many copies as SSB.

You're not the first person to come into a Battle Royale thread and spout that "lolz, Sony doesn't have characters like Mario and Zelda to make this kind of game." It's just that usually those people don't back-pedal as soon as someone highlights the fact that you don't need an ultra-iconic character to sell such a game, as long as the popular franchises are there, all together in one big celebration of a company brand.

What's your problem then? That was the point and that's certainly a point that can be discussed.
And we then even seem to agree as you also acknowledge that it will probably not sell as much as SSB. And that's what I implied right from the beginning: Ibelieve that you need a ultra-iconic character/franchise to make such a title a huge success. I did never deny that this title is not allowed to exist as a fan service for Sony fans, I even said that I want this game to have a great singleplayer mode (unlike SSB).

I doubt that SSB would have sold this well without these meaningful, well-known Nintendo franchises. I even said that I doubt that it would've been a success with pushing the game only with the Ice Climbers or other lesser known franchises. So when talking about the potential success of this game, it is a valid point indeed, isn't it? We are just talking past each other if you do not want to discuss the relationship of well-known franchises and the potential success of this title, a topic that simply comes up because of the similarities between SSB and All-Star Battle Royale.

So again, I did never ever say that this game will not sell well, that's your interpretation. If you do not like that these things are pointed out I'd recommend staying out of this forum, it's not your decision what shall or what shall not be discussed on here...

libregkd

this game barely has anything going on and it looks so bad. its just four bloody people in a screen. the 60fps excuse doesn't fly here, because GT5 runs at a much higher resolution AND at 60FPS, with 16 highly detailed cars (instead of 4 characters)
I'm sorry, but what?

BurntPork

Banned
Why are you guys throwing a fit over people saying that it's similar to SSB? It's not like that's an insult, and if it's good who cares that it's a clone?

Imm0rt4l

Having seasoned players consult with combat makes me more optimistic for this game than I would be otherwise since I find smashs style to be kinda reductive.

Ploid 3.0

Why are you guys throwing a fit over people saying that it's similar to SSB? It's not like that's an insult, and if it's good who cares that it's a clone?

It seems some people want to calm the people that are upset that it's possibly a carbon copy of Smash.

Since you can pick directional buttons, or analog Arcade stick should be a go. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a arcade stick option like SF4.

Comet

Just watched that first Gametrailers video and the whole they're like "this mechanic is KIND OF like Smash Bros but it's different because _______."

The super system sounds pretty broken, at least the way he described Parappa's Level 3. Being able to kill every opponent no matter where they are on the stage or in relation to your own character doesn't sound like a really fun implementation for a fighting game.

But it's totally cute when Pit hits a smash ball in Brawl and kills every person on the screen right??

C'mon now, stop judging it by the tiny details we know. Of course it's not going to be that broken, that's a level 3 special, which apparently takes time to get. Just like you can't use smash balls willy-nilly in Brawl.

Hero

It's a fighting game. The solution to that is, I don't know, keep Parappa from reaching level 3 in the first place? It's not like players are getting AP for free, they have to earn their specials by duking it out with the other players. Like many others have said, the system seems to reward players by getting into the thick of the action, instead of running away.

In Smash, I always get the most KOs, but I hardly ever win because I stupidly kill myself (mistimed jumps, etc) a lot. This game already has a different flavor for the KO system alone.

Except Parappa has a move where he busts out a boom box and AP balls pop out of it. So yeah, it's a concern I have.

Imagine it's Smash Bros., but reversed.

As you hit someone, instead of his percentage going up and flying further, your percentage goes up to make your hits harder. It makes a free-for-all a bit different, but a 1-on-1 would play identically.

Now, at about 70%, you might get a KO if you're good. At 140%, you're probably going to get a KO if you're decent. At over 200%, you're basically guaranteed a KO.

That seems to be the general concept of the game. Similar to Smash Bros. in the sense that you beat up your opponent a bit, then finish him off with a powerful attack, but with a completely different mechanic.

Part of what made Smash so great was that despite a player being better at the game by damaging opponents or what not, other players could cherrypick your kills after you got them up high enough in percentage. With a reverse system like this, just by the way they designed it, sounds like it'll constantly be rewarding superior players because they're doing more combos and what have you. Not saying it's going to be awful because of it but I am definitely skeptical.

But it's totally cute when Pit hits a smash ball in Brawl and kills every person on the screen right??

C'mon now, stop judging it by the tiny details we know. Of course it's not going to be that broken, that's a level 3 special, which apparently takes time to get. Just like you can't use smash balls willy-nilly in Brawl.

Smash Balls were completely optional in Brawl. From what we know about this mode, the only way to earn points is to kill people with their Super Move. And if you're a competent player you're not even going to get hit by Palutena's Army anyway.

KingK

Wow good stuff, I especially like Jstevenson's quote. Wonder if he's going to rock the Ratchet/clank/whoever that's fighting for the Insomniac side. Ooh what if Hale is in, or a chimera...

I'd much prefer a Chimera than Hale. Hale is generic as fuck, but the Chimera is pretty cool looking. My only concern with including a Resistance character is there will probably be too many gun wielding characters already. Radec, Snake (I'm assuming), Drake, Ratchet, potentially Jak (though if they're smart, they'll go with his Jak 1 design and use mostly eco based moves), etc.

1upmuffin

While the crossover stages are alright, I don't get why EVERY stage has to be a crossover stage.

I do like some stuff about it though, the fighting and physics both look fun, seems like this will be a fun party game.

Ploid 3.0

I vow to solely play as Parappa the Rapper.

Huge target will be on your back, your skateboard better be ready, and your boom box.

While the crossover stages are alright, I don't get why EVERY stage has to be a crossover stage.

I do like some stuff about it though, the fighting and physics both look fun, seems like this will be a fun party game.

Maybe to cram in as many game nods as they can, or double the amount of stages with each having one game theme only. It also goes with the idea of the game being a crossover. Look at SFxT stages, they are super awesome, and all of them mix in both sides I think (background characters and stuff going on in them).

Imm0rt4l

Part of what made Smash so great was that despite a player being better at the game by damaging opponents or what not, other players could cherrypick your kills after you got them up high enough in percentage. With a reverse system like this, just by the way they designed it, sounds like it'll constantly be rewarding superior players because they're doing more combos and what have you. Not saying it's going to be awful because of it but I am definitely skeptical.

As a competitive player, I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Shiggy

Don't remind me of the smash balls in SSBB! I hope the ASBR system works definitely as the smash ball system was pretty broken. Never really understood why Brawl even got such good ratings with most stages being the same and the singleplayer being a boring mess. I will not even mention the online mode.

SLV

Except Parappa has a move where he busts out a boom box and AP balls pop out of it. So yeah, it's a concern I have.

So, what's wrong with a game that rewards players who are skilled ? Especially if this is designed as a game for an audience that not only consists of casual players ? The previous stuff about pro fighter dudes or what not in the team ?
Just because Super smash bros has a certain audience to which it caters more or less better, it does not mean that sony's "Rip-off" has to do the same, with prancing ponies, rainbows and COLOR.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Final Smashes were pretty terribly balanced, I ended up turning them off. There's a difference when it's a mechanic the entire basis of scoring is relying on.

It's too early to say if it's good or bad, but they REALLY need to do a good job of making the supers balanced if they're going to be so important. And that also means making them useful in a way that doesn't promote camping and running away once someone has a super.

SykoTech

Hey, lupinko.

Get in here and leak the characters already....please.

The most disappointing thing about this game so far....

is the title.

The logo makes the title even worse. The All-Stars bit is the worse part of the title, yet they decided to make it the biggest part of the logo. So dumb. PlayStation Battle Royale would be so much better.

Hero

As a competitive player, I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Protip: Competitive players aren't what made Smash Bros. the success it is today.

So, what's wrong with a game that rewards players who are skilled ? Especially if this is designed as a game for an audience that not only consists of casual players ? The previous stuff about pro fighter dudes or what not in the team ?

The whole point is that if not balanced well enough casual people will get frustrated that the superior players consistently beat them. If the better players ALWAYS got the Smash Ball in Brawl it wouldn't be fun for less skilled players. But by the nature of the design it's somewhat balanced because you never know what hit is going to break the Ball to get the power-up and it constantly moves around and has unique hit behavior that tends to be unpredictable.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So the things on the bottom are super meters. Is there anything that displays damage? Are win conditions similar to Smash (stock, time etc.)?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So the things on the bottom are super meters. Is there anything that displays damage? Are win conditions similar to Smash (stock, time etc.)?

There doesn't seem to be a damage indicator, for now it seems like the only way to score is getting a KO with the super.

KingK

The logo makes the title even worse. The All-Stars bit is the worse part of the title, yet they decided to make it the biggest part of the logo. So dumb. PlayStation Battle Royale would be so much better.

Yeah, the name is shit and the logo looks like something that belongs on shovelware. Changing it to Playstation Battle Royale would be acceptable, but still not great, and changing that logo should be a top priority.

The whole point is that if not balanced well enough casual people will get frustrated that the superior players consistently beat them. If the better players ALWAYS got the Smash Ball in Brawl it wouldn't be fun for less skilled players. But by the nature of the design it's somewhat balanced because you never know what hit is going to break the Ball to get the power-up and it constantly moves around and has unique hit behavior that tends to be unpredictable.
Well in Smash 'competitive' players can play without items, 'casuals' can play with them. Easy!

Tiamant

I'm liking the way they're handling those scenarios. Every character represents an answer in Buzz and you have to punch the right one? perfect representation meets fun gameplay, really, really clever.

SLV

Protip: Competitive players aren't what made Smash Bros. the success it is today.

Well if i was this theoretical poor sap, who gets his ass beaten every time:
A:) I have a choice with whom to play
B:) I can play it offline only
C:) If this is the case, i would personally invest my time in this game, be it SP or MP, to better myself, it would drive me to improve, but that is just me.

i dunno, it depends on how you look at it, everything is not black and white

Ploid 3.0

Because everybody's just going to stand back and watch him build up AP.

And good players, as a rule, should always win.

Parappa is going to have to be played by good players, someone that can deal with constant pressure. No one will sit and let him do his thing, everyone will want him contained. He's going to be the life of the party, his music will draw too much of a crowd. Mwahahahahaaa

Comet

Final Smashes were pretty terribly balanced, I ended up turning them off. There's a difference when it's a mechanic the entire basis of scoring is relying on.

It's too early to say if it's good or bad, but they REALLY need to do a good job of making the supers balanced if they're going to be so important. And that also means making them useful in a way that doesn't promote camping and running away once someone has a super.

For all we know a super can be hard to pull off (Jigglypuff's down B). From what I read you need to get behind a player to use Sly's special. I think some people are seriously trying to make a mountain out of an ant hill on very little information.

darkwing

I'm liking the way they're handling those scenarios. Every character represents an answer in Buzz and you have to punch the right one? perfect representation meets fun gameplay, really, really clever.

from my info thingy
Keeping with the hybrid stage theme, it eventually turns into an impromptu game of Buzz! Quiz. A Playstation-related question appears on the screen, and the fighters have to stand on the platform that corresponds with the correct answer to avoid taking damage.

cednym

Banned

I'm pretty sure each platform represents an answer, and you have to stand on the correct one. The incorrect platforms are hit with pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom