• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Gaia

To be honest If Sony can increase clockspeeds without an appreciably negative impact on yields or power consumption it would be stupid not to as they are leaving available performance untapped.

Right, so the only sane assumption is that the performance figures they released to developers are what they thought they could get with acceptable yield and thermals. Trying to get a 25% increase in performance, like to 5TF from 4.2TF, would generally require nearly double the power consumption and corresponding generated heat. It just doesn't seem plausible.

If they have tweaked the design in any way from the leaked specs I'll be very curious to see where. Only people very familiar to the hardware know where the bottlenecks are, and therefore what would make a real difference.

What's the chance of an available now announcement happening with Neo? I think it'll release in October to supplement VR.

Yeah it won't happen for Neo or we would have gotten a leak by now. Slim will be an "available now" announcement for sure, but there'll be a 1 month lead time for Neo. I can actually see them launching it the same day as PSVR.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah it won't happen for Neo or we would have gotten a leak by now. Slim will be an "available now" announcement for sure, but there'll be a 1 month lead time for Neo. I can actually see them launching it the same day as PSVR.

I don't know about that. That is a ton in money choices on a single day for certain people considering which to buy if not both. I can't say October doesn't make sense because it does, though I still have hope for September.

Saberus

Yeah, no Neo till Oct/Nov.. slim is in the supply chain already so natually your going to get leaks, you can't hide things like this once its in circulation.

iratA

Why do so many people think that Sony would launch Three (I repeat 3) new pieces of Hardware within 3 months? (assuming SEPT+OCT+NOV) Honestly when have either Sony, Nintendo or MS released 3 new major pieces of hardware (referring to SLIM+PSVR+NEO) in that short of a time? If there has been precedent for this before someone please tell me. My best guess is an official NEO reveal with launch details, support details and pricing will happen at the upcoming event. A release date approximately around March. No upgrades either.

Here's what I think:

*Slim SEPT. release within 7 Days of the announcement.

*PSVR in OCT. as already announced, with the a focus on selling through follow-up shipments leading into the Holidays. Be mindful this release only leaves ~2.5 months worth of Holiday Sales.

*NEO launching sometime in MAR. No spec upgrades.

Darklor01

Why do so many people think that Sony would launch Three (I repeat 3) new pieces of Hardware within 3 months? (assuming SEPT+OCT+NOV) Honestly when have either Sony, Nintendo or MS released 3 new major pieces of hardware (referring to SLIM+PSVR+NEO) in that short of a time? If there has been precedent for this before someone please tell me. My best guess is an official NEO reveal with launch details, support details and pricing will happen at the upcoming event. A release date approximately around March. No upgrades either.

Here's what I think:

*PSVR in OCT. as already announced, with the a focus on selling through follow-up shipments leading into the Holidays. Be mindful this release only leaves ~2.5 months worth of Holiday Sales.

No precedent I can think of. Simply articles claiming they would like to release by end of first half of their FY which ends Sept. 30. Now, we know project time tables slide as time goes on and complications hit. If the articles sources are correct, would we then have to assume these other items releasing would be a surpise to them and they didn't know about them when they stated the End of the first half of theirFY release concept?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why do so many people think that Sony would launch Three (I repeat 3) new pieces of Hardware within 3 months? (assuming SEPT+OCT+NOV) Honestly when have either Sony, Nintendo or MS released 3 new major pieces of hardware (referring to SLIM+PSVR+NEO) in that short of a time? If there has been precedent for this before someone please tell me.

There hasn't been a precedent for any of this before.

For such an expensive new peripheral-based sub-platform.

For two distinctly specc-ed models in one platform.

So appealing to history for a roadmap on these releases seems shakey to start with IMO.

Regarding Neo and the slim releasing in close quarters - the intent is to address two different markets. If they can't launch in close quarters for audience overlap reasons then the assumption that they address two different markets is flawed, and you have to wonder why they're keeping two models at all.

That leaves PSVR. TBH, I think Neo should launch at or around the same time, so people buying into the platform for the first time with VR have the choice of which system to get for that. I want to jump in with PSVR and would prefer not to have to wait around months for Neo to release.

So yeah, it would be a lot of hardware. But they're more like alternate or complimentary options rather than intended to be 3 things that one segment of the audience 'has to' buy together. You're going to be buying, none, one, or two at most.

We have to bear in mind also that all these are releases building on an existing market that has driven high volume. Sony is at a wide end of the market now. They're not targetting a small core of early adopters with 3 pieces of hardware. It's 3 pieces of hardware to underpin the wider latter half of the PS4 cycle. It certainly represents ambition on their part, but hey, why not? It's a profitable, successful business. Why rest on your laurels if you're in a position to try some new things?

iratA

No precedent I can think of. Simply articles claiming they would like to release by end of first half of their FY which ends Sept. 30. Now, we know project time tables slide as time goes on and complications hit. If the articles sources are correct, would we then have to assume these other items releasing would be a surpise to them and they didn't know about them when they stated the End of the first half of theirFY release concept?

How old are these articles though? I'm just trying to get people who keep hoping for a release of NEO in the next three months to keep their expectations well in check. We have to look at the reality of the current schedule. Especially now we know the Slim is here and ready to deploy; aka retail packaging/boxed product.

So appealing to history for a roadmap on these releases seems shakey to start with IMO.

Regarding Neo and the slim releasing in close quarters - the intent is to address two different markets. If they can't launch in close quarters then the assumption that they address two different markets is flawed.

That leaves PSVR. TBH, I think Neo should launch at or around the same time, so people buying into the platform for the first time with VR have the choice of which system to get for that. I want to jump in with PSVR and would prefer not to have to wait around months for Neo to release.

PSVR should sell out so it not like they have to worry abut that .
At least for the first few months .

Venom Fox

Banned
I'm not ignoring anyone but im not quoting because it seems the green boxes are broken...

But I agree that it'll launch mid October. It makes sense to me. Launch with VR to give people a better experience.

Saberus

How old are these articles though? I'm just trying to get people who keep hoping for a release of NEO in the next three months to keep their expectations well in check. We have to look at the reality of the current schedule. Especially now we know the Slim is here and ready to deploy; aka retail packaging/boxed product.

If they are not launching till March, then there is no reason to tell the developers to have their software thats released in Sept/Oct to have it Neo ready, there would be no rush if the hardware is not out till March.

S1kkZ

I'm not ignoring anyone but im not quoting because it seems the green boxes are broken...

But I agree that it'll launch mid October. It makes sense to me. Launch with VR to give people a better experience.

but vr on the current ps4 is perfectly fine.

iratA

Regarding Neo and the slim releasing in close quarters - the intent is to address two different markets. If they can't launch in close quarters then the assumption that they address two different markets is flawed.

Sure I get the positioning of the NEO as a "Premium SKU". But I don't think that takes anything away from my argument that we are taking about Sony quite literally flooding the market with new Hardware all within 3 months. Two of which are considered High-end/Premium Products (PSVR+NEO).

Then there is the entire point of mixed messaging around these. We've seen this even on this very board, so many people "well if you want to invest in PSVR you need a NEO" PSVR needs to be clearly sold on its own merit. "Hey here is PSVR - you already have what you need to play this at home" Enthusiasts will wait for NEO and still buy PSVR!

finalflame

but vr on the current ps4 is perfectly fine.

Perfectly fine based on what? I've done multiple PSVR demos (PSX, GDC) and have weekly access to a Rift CV1 running on my i7-6700K/GTX 1080. There is a LOT of room for improvement for VR on PS4. Neo will give the better experience by a large margin if the power numbers we're hearing are true.

Just because PS4 CAN do VR with their frame interpolation tricks and low IQ does not mean it's the ideal experience. Neo is great for PSVR.

Noctis3

I'm sure they do not want to miss those holiday sales. I'm guessing mid-October, I just don't see them releasing in March and missing the holidays.

Darklor01

Articles were based in May, shortly after document leaks I suppose. I really get where you're coming from. And, there isn't a precedent, and people should keep expectations in check. I personally don't care if it releases within the next three months since my OG PS4 isn't going anywhere lol. I just can't imagine a scenario that has leaked PS docs with statements on it from their own people that they want to release by the end of the first half of their FY without knowing these other items were going to be released and their projected release schedules as well. That doesn't make business sense from a project standpoint. Thing is, project schedules to slide. Complications arise. Decisions change for business reasons. It might very well release in 2017, but I can't dismiss the idea it might hit this year.

iratA

^in relation to the bolded. See my previous post! This right here, transmitted through the waves and noise of the internet and into everyday folks, turns into "Hey if you really want PSVR, don't bother unless you have a NEO" again its a messaging problem.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
^in relation to the bolded. See my previous post! This right here, transmitted through the waves and noise of the internet and into everyday folks, turns into "Hey if you really want PSVR, don't bother unless you have a NEO" again its a messaging problem.

I'm not sure how much of a problem that really is though. It's true that in the vacuum of information before an official reveal, misinformation can run. But if that has been the case, even in that context, PSVR preorders have sold out, right? I can't imagine that's all intending Neo owners. So I'm not sure if that misinformation really has spread so much, and once all these SKUs are out of the closet, Sony can sharpen the official message that Neo is a PS4, and there's nothing exclusive there in terms of software compatibility.

(I'm not saying it's impossible that Neo could launch next year, of course. I've no idea. I hope it launches this year, but of course, until it's official we don't know... I just don't really see a big show-stopper barrier to it releasing this year, from a marketing or messaging POV)

sense

i am kinda expecting september as well. september 20 to be more exact probably bundled with destiny collection. October is probably more realistic

finalflame

Saving this for when the Neo launch date is announced and it's in 2016.

Noctis3

Although if they do go the 2017 route, I can see some increased specs probably happening.

Edit: At the same time having the NEO being ready before Horizon comes out is a big deal.

Marlenus

Right, so the only sane assumption is that the performance figures they released to developers are what they thought they could get with acceptable yield and thermals. Trying to get a 25% increase in performance, like to 5TF from 4.2TF, would generally require nearly double the power consumption and corresponding generated heat. It just doesn't seem plausible.

If they have tweaked the design in any way from the leaked specs I'll be very curious to see where. Only people very familiar to the hardware know where the bottlenecks are, and therefore what would make a real difference.

It depends where the power, speed, yield sweet spot is. Maybe on production silicon this sweet spot is at 1,000Mhz instead of 911Mhz with ES silicon.

If the margin is there for Sony to increase clocks without affecting yield or power consumption in a negative way vs their forecasts they might. Of course they could use the higher quality silicon to qualify more chips at their desired clockspeeds which will reduce the cost of each chip.

iratA

I'm not sure how much of a problem that really is though. It's true that in the vacuum of information before an official reveal, misinformation can run. But if that has been the case, even in that context, PSVR preorders have sold out, right? I can't imagine that's all intending Neo owners. So I'm not sure if that misinformation really has spread so much, and once all these SKUs are out of the closet, Sony can sharpen the official message that Neo is a PS4, and there's nothing exclusive there in terms of software compatibility.

(I'm not saying it's impossible that Neo could launch next year, of course. I've no idea. I hope it launches this year, but of course, until it's official we don't know... I just don't really see a big show-stopper barrier to it releasing this year, from a marketing or messaging POV)

Even if we assume the mixed messaging around what is and isn't required for PSVR is only minimal. We are still talking about two premium priced products releasing in a very short time. It just feels like a marketing nightmare to me, and I think there will be some cannibalism as well aka we've seen plenty of enthusiasts (including on this board) say things like "if NEO launches at the same time, I'll probably cancel my PSVR order to pick it up". Not many people can justify an expensive mid console cycle refresh AND an expensive (as in hundreds of dollars, not by comparison) experimental new gaming gadget aka PSVR.

Now if they are separated a little bit, people can digest the changes in the marketplace easier. Household budgets can cope and people looking for a "new experience" from Sony this holiday season, still get that. Hence why I'm sticking to the 2017 release for NEO.

Jonboy

Hoping for a Neo leak soon. Yes, I'm terrible, I know. The wait is killing me. I just want to see the thing.

And I'm surprised how many people are still thinking 2017. This thing is a lock for holiday 2016, imo. Would be absolutely stunned if it's not.

Darklor01

Even if we assume the mixed messaging around what is and isn't required for PSVR is only minimal. We are still talking about two premium priced products releasing in a very short time. It just feels like a marketing nightmare to me, and I think there will be some cannibalism as well aka we've seen plenty of enthusiasts (including on this board) say things like "if NEO launches at the same time, I'll probably cancel my PSVR order to pick it up". Not many people can justify an expensive mid console cycle refresh AND an expensive (as in hundreds of dollars, not by comparison) experimental new gaming gadget aka PSVR.

Now if they are separated a little bit, people can digest the changes in the marketplace easier. Household budgets can cope and people looking for a "new experience" from Sony this holiday season, still get that. Hence why I'm sticking to the 2017 release for NEO.

I think the majority consumer is a one or the other case and doesn't actually want to buy both Neo and PSVR. Also, launch quantities or PSVR are sold out already causing a break in that budget for those who didn't get a preorder in.

Slim on its own for newcomers or someone that wants replacement PS4.

Neo on its own for newcomers that want latest and greatest, or upgraders.

Slim + PSVR is a consideration for some now. That saves some money. Newcomers that want both, have the money, but don't want as high of a cost.

NEO + PSVR is high cost and for the hardcore or newcomers with money for both.

Otherwise, it's one or the other. I don't see an issue with having all three at once.

I'm thinking Neo and Slim at the same time but I could be really wrong

Sony have apparently told Japanese retailers that they won't be receiving anymore PS4's. So they appear to have stopped production on the original model. Which would lead to the conclusion that the slim would be launching almost immediately after the PS Meeting. Developers aren't even required to have Neo content until October, so it's hard to see them releasing it in September when the content won't be there.

Asd202

Sony have apparently told Japanese retailers that they won't be receiving anymore PS4's. So they appear to have stopped production on the original model. Which would lead to the conclusion that the slim would be launching almost immediately after the PS Meeting. Developers aren't even required to have Neo content until October, so it's hard to see them releasing it in September when the content won't be there.

I'm thinking Neo will be in November, Slim in September, VR in October. It makes sense to spread it out a little. Every month new PS device get hyped etc.

Here's what I think:

Cause Sony would be idiots to announce the neo before the holiday season and then say coming early 2017, you've basically told people to hold off on purchasing your console currently cause we've got a better model coming right after the holidays. IMO, that's more cannabalizing than releasing the neo, slim and vr in the same quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom