• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
badcrumble said:
It's nice that it downloads game patches without having to start the game, though.

But it doesn't do that as soon as a patch goes live. It check for patches ever 48hrs or so. If you play a given game daily, you are likely to be prompted to download a patch just as usual (ie by starting the game).

yencid said:
well obviously, But it is worth it for those who havent bought it before. im just saying, it IS worth it. If they do offer decent games every month it is def worth it.
The problem is, I've already bought all the decent games. So if they offer crap games, it'll probably be worth more to me :p

AwRy108

netguy503 said:
Are people in this thread actually OK with this? This sounds VERY dangerous to me and you're almost playing with fire or Russian roulette with your console in a world with the YLOD (which is again Sony's fault). So my system will just turn on automatically even if I'm away to download a patch of a game I have but maybe not want patched at that time. It also shuts off when the patch is done. Isn't that what Sony themselves says causes the YLOD? The turning on and off of the console quickly and suddenly because of the heat it gives off? It say I can possibly set the time I want my system to be on once it starts downloading but I dunno about that either. As a YLOD survivor I'm extremely paranoid about my system and I wouldn't like the fact that I can't manually control when I want my system on or not anymore. I'd be putting the fate of a future YLOD into the hands of a machine that itself YLOD's.:lol

Also it will manually decide for itself to delete updates/demos if I don't access them within one month? What if I'm on vacation or a business trip? Guess what, I have to go back and download huge file sizes all over again which leaves my system on further and longer also contributing to when it might YLOD. I can see why a person can't subscribe a few months after the service begins and expect to get all the previous months content with his subscription, that sounds fair, but if I'm a paying member I expect to be treated like a king.

I dunno why other people, especially other YLOD survivors, have not brought up what I quoted before me. It's actually surprising to me. I bet that feature alone will up the ante of YLOD systems and Sony's going to get alot of complaints on this one. And guess what, once your system dies if it indeed does (and I don't know how it won't with this system in play- could take awhile though), all your games and everything you earned go with it. That would be the real kicker- "I lost a $600 game system on a half-baked psn sh!t deal that wasn't even good to begin with".:lol :(

Yeah, the whole implementation sounds like a mess, especially for those of us that already use our PS3's enough to manage small tasks like these. Also, as you said, this sounds rather unhealthy for the hardware; but maybe I'm wrong.

TTP said:
But it doesn't do that as soon as a patch goes live. It check for patches ever 48hrs or so. If you play a given game daily, you are likely to be prompted to download a patch just as usual (ie by starting the game).
Right. That's why I want the ability to manually do a check for patches on all games without having to start them one by one. Sony wouldn't have to do the Wake-on-LAN thing for you or push demos out, just game patches upon request same as usual but with an improved interface for checking for them. If this feature's coming, it's totally possible to extend that to end users. Just stick it right next to the button that checks for firmware updates.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AwRy108 said:
Yeah, the whole implementation sounds like a mess, especially for those of us that already use our PS3's enough to manage small tasks like these. Also, as you said, this sounds rather unhealthy for the hardware; but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think it's unhealthy. I assume it takes the system some time to check if there is anything new to download, so it's not like it's gonna turn itself on and off in a 10 seconds span.

But then again, yeah, the whole implementation is of little use to anybody who actually plays the thing.

badcrumble said:
Right. That's why I want the ability to manually do a check for patches on all games without having to start them one by one. Sony wouldn't have to do the Wake-on-LAN thing for you or push demos out, just game patches upon request same as usual but with an improved interface for checking for them. If this feature's coming, it's totally possible to extend that to end users. Just stick it right next to the button that checks for firmware updates.

I'd like that.

expy

Banned
My PS3 is on almost 24/7 with maybe 3-6 hours downtime each week. This won't be a problem if I decide to get the subscription. Besides, I'm pretty sure this will coincide with a firmware update which will have an additional "PlayStation Plus+" tab in the settings menu.

TTP said:
I don't think it's unhealthy. I assume it takes the system some time to check if there is anything new to download, so it's not like it's gonna turn itself on and off in a 10 seconds span.

But then again, yeah, the whole implementation is of little use to anybody who actually plays the thing.
Who are, presumably, the people who ought to be most interested in this paid service.

Still, once a monthly deal comes along that isn't stuff I already own, I'll likely bite.

mrwilt

Quick question. I have a family of four with each of us having a separate PSN ID. Does this $50 a month cover all of us, no matter who logs in? Is this the way it works on Xbox Live?

Loudninja said:
I am surprised they didn't add rented movies,you know like 1 or 2 ever month?
That may be coming in the future (remember, they've said they plan on adding more services/features), but that takes a LOT more negotiations with multiple content license holders and would consequently take longer to roll out. Also, don't forget that it's pretty likely that we'll be getting a Netflix app by the end of the year.

edit: also, they'd have to pay royalties to the folks that they'd be renting those movies from, which would likely jack up the cost of the service. Much better (and easier accounting + legal negotiations) to give a 20% discount (or whatever) on rentals than to give you two free rentals per month or something.

tirminyl

Loudninja said:
I am surprised they didn't add rented movies,you know like 1 or 2 ever month?

I agree. All that content and they aren't using it.

mrwilt said:
Quick question. I have a family of four with each of us having a separate PSN ID. Does this $50 a month cover all of us, no matter who logs in? Is this the way it works on Xbox Live?

Other user ID's on the console should have access as long as the "master" account is on the box. I can't speak for LIVE, but I doubt you can. For LIVE I believe it is per ID.

Loudninja

badcrumble said:
That may be coming in the future (remember, they've said they plan on adding more services/features), but that takes a LOT more negotiations with multiple content license holders and would consequently take longer to roll out. Also, don't forget that it's pretty likely that we'll be getting a Netflix app by the end of the year.
Yeah I know they will be adding more stuff,and yeah you right about all that other stuff,I am pretty sure turn out well in the end.

mrwilt

tirminyl said:
Other user ID's on the console should have access as long as the "master" account is on the box. I can't speak for LIVE, but I doubt you can. For LIVE I believe it is per ID.

Thanks for that. I feel a little more relieved that it will cover the whole family.

Raistlin

For people concerned about YLOD and it being unhealthy for your HW ... this is really no different than RemotePlay. Relax.

krae_man

TTP said:

You have to leave it in remote play standby mode which basicly means you have to leave the system on 24/7.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I dont think the updates push is a bad deal at all.

Its every 48 hours, 10 games per session. If the last 10 are up to date, then next older 10 games and so forth.

And we play about 3-5 max games in that time period or so. And patches come about 3-4 a month between all my games.

So sure if a patch is out today and you play today you will have to wait, but otherwise it should be able to keep all the games up to date very well.

I actually think its a pretty good system. And its excellent because it should be able to keep older games up to date, ones that if you don't play in a while, you may be reluctant to play due to the amount of recent patches. So if anything it should help us play older games too.

I think I need solid details on the freebies lineup for the US before I decide to bite. I already have Wipeout so that's not exciting at all to kick off the program.

tirminyl

AndyD said:
I actually think its a pretty good system. And its excellent because it should be able to keep older games up to date, ones that if you don't play in a while, you may be reluctant to play due to the amount of recent patches. So if anything it should help us play older games too.

Like LBP. I can say, that it is time consuming (whine) to manually update my games just in case I want to play them. Anything there is a patch for I boot the game to download it even though I don't feel like playing it just so when I get the urge to play it, it is ready to go.

AndyD said:
I think I need solid details on the freebies lineup for the US before I decide to bite. I already have Wipeout so that's not exciting at all to kick off the program.

They are supposed to have the first and second month published sometime soon. Going forward they were supposed to publish the next two months in advance, unless I misunderstood.

netguy503

krae_man said:
You have to leave it in remote play standby mode which basicly means you have to leave the system on 24/7.

No, geez what have I started. You just have to leave it so the red light is on at all times. That means it will be off yet, say if you have a phat, you can never flip the switch in the back to turn it all the way off. Slims don't have the switch in the back and you always have to leave it with the red light on. This does not mean its on and it won't hurt the console. However, having the machine turn on suddenly just to "update" and then switch off whenever it darn feels to, might. We have been told that we are getting YLOD's because of a heat issue, even people saying you should pop out your game after use and leave your PS3 on the XMB for awhile after use to help the system cool down after use before you turn it off, sure a YLOD will not happen right away but after several months I think that this will be terrible for a console's lifespan and SONY will get alot of complaints for this even though you did buy the "feature".

netguy503

AndyD said:

I was hoping Qore would do this but that never happened. Why would this be different?

Besides, think of it like Qore for a second. The first year of Qore was awesome while the second one was a joke. What if you see this "published list of freebies" from the first year of Plus, decide you like what that published list represents the service as and join only to find the next month of it is crap on a stick. Now your in a corner: you can't unsubscribe, you'll loss all that cool stuff from the first year, but you are now getting shitty service for $50 a pop. At least Qore let's you keep all your stuff.:lol

I'm telling you, like Qore, I bet the first year of this WILL be great. It's what happens a year from now where we will see if this thing actually has legs or not. Unfortunately, by then, you are trapped/tied to the service forever. I actually bet that's part of their plan.:lol

Danielsan

My main issue with this whole PSN+ is the fact that you stop owning the "free" games as soon as you stop paying for the service.
If I pay for a full year of the service I should at least own all the products given to me in that year.

The other issue is that I already own Wipeout HD and there is no guarantee that the freebie PSN titles will be A: games that I don't already own, B: games that I would give two shits about.

The value proposition in this thing is really piss poor.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
krae_man said:

lol no. Where did you get that idea from?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
netguy503 said:
No, geez what have I started. You just have to leave it so the red light is on at all times. That means it will be off yet, say if you have a phat, you can never flip the switch in the back to turn it all the way off. Slims don't have the switch in the back and you always have to leave it with the red light on. This does not mean its on and it won't hurt the console. However, having the machine turn on suddenly just to "update" and then switch off whenever it darn feels to, might. We have been told that we are getting YLOD's because of a heat issue, even people saying you should pop out your game after use and leave your PS3 on the XMB for awhile after use to help the system cool down after use before you turn it off, sure a YLOD will not happen right away but after several months I think that this will be terrible for a console's lifespan and SONY will get alot of complaints for this even though you did buy the "feature".

You make it sound like downloading patches is as stressful for the system as running Uncharted 2 or whatever spanks those SPUs.

I think it will be fine.

badcrumble said:
Well, the wake-on-LAN standby mode DOES consume more power than the regular standby mode. Maybe that's what he means.

I don't think such a system is in place at all. Sounds like the PS3 turns on based on the internal clock, not via some prompt over the net. Kinda like PlayTV programmed recordings work.

krae_man

TTP said:
I don't think such a system is in place at all. Sounds like the PS3 turns on based on the internal clock, not via some prompt over the net. Kinda like PlayTV programmed recordings work.
That's true, you're probably right. Earlier I'd thought that the PS3 would be remotely prompted when patches were ready, but if it just wakes up on its own every 48 hours, it's probably just an internal timer.

netguy503

Danielsan said:
My main issue with this whole PSN+ is the fact that you stop owning the "free" games as soon as you stop paying for the service.
If I pay for a full year of the service I should at least own all the products given to me in that year.

The other issue is that I already own Wipeout HD and there is no guarantee that the freebie PSN titles will be A: games that I don't already own, B: games that I would give two shits about.

The value proposition in this thing is really piss poor.

Yea I think what Sony should have done is say they are giving away a $20 game this month like Wipeout HD. Oh wait, the subscriber already has that (the system can verify that by the "purchased icon already on that game's icon in the store) son Sony will let you buy any other $20 value game you want for that month (seriously, that's like only two PSN games anyway). Now you may say, and the only problem I see with this is, what about that specific game's publishers. Well, isn't that why we are paying a fee couldn't Sony work out that of all the people that have the game and are downloading other games a "cut" of that money goes to the game developer of the game you chose. And since more people will subscribe if Sony offered the service like this, they would have more money to work with and I don't see why this couldn't be possible.

The only other thing is, as I said, you'd have an extra $20 if the system verified you have the game with the purchased icon in the store for that month alone. You should not be able to abuse this feature for building up your PSN "wallet". Then people will say "what if I go on vacation/don't use my PS3 that month" and I would say to bad. I hear SONY has a system in place where all the deals in one month on this "plus" would be locked out after that month is over and this should be the same.

I also said that the system has to verify that you have purchased the offered game of the month by seeing the store bought icon in the store on your system to take away from people who share accounts. and so that the rightful owner does indeed get to pick out the game he/she truly wants for the month. There, I think I covered all bases. Sony, I expect a job offer within the hour.:D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
krae_man said:
When I put my PS3 in standby mode(after the firmware update allowing "remote start" came out) the fan stayed on at a noticable volume and heat continued to come out of the system.

I know it's not exactly like the system is left fully on but it's close enough. Definately more then Wiiconnect24 though.

Edit: one of the reply's of the blog post said your PS3 needs to be in Standby mode to get the updates.

Stand by mode doesn't mean what you think it does.

It's already explained to you in one of the posts above.

MrPliskin

Banned
netguy503 said:
Are people in this thread actually OK with this? This sounds VERY dangerous to me and you're almost playing with fire or Russian roulette with your console in a world with the YLOD (which is again Sony's fault). So my system will just turn on automatically even if I'm away to download a patch of a game I have but maybe not want patched at that time. It also shuts off when the patch is done. Isn't that what Sony themselves says causes the YLOD? The turning on and off of the console quickly and suddenly because of the heat it gives off? It say I can possibly set the time I want my system to be on once it starts downloading but I dunno about that either. As a YLOD survivor I'm extremely paranoid about my system and I wouldn't like the fact that I can't manually control when I want my system on or not anymore. I'd be putting the fate of a future YLOD into the hands of a machine that itself YLOD's.:lol

Also it will manually decide for itself to delete updates/demos if I don't access them within one month? What if I'm on vacation or a business trip? Guess what, I have to go back and download huge file sizes all over again which leaves my system on further and longer also contributing to when it might YLOD. I can see why a person can't subscribe a few months after the service begins and expect to get all the previous months content with his subscription, that sounds fair, but if I'm a paying member I expect to be treated like a king.

I dunno why other people, especially other YLOD survivors, have not brought up what I quoted before me. It's actually surprising to me. I bet that feature alone will up the ante of YLOD systems and Sony's going to get alot of complaints on this one. And guess what, once your system dies if it indeed does (and I don't know how it won't with this system in play- could take awhile though), all your games and everything you earned go with it. That would be the real kicker- "I lost a $600 game system on a half-baked psn sh!t deal that wasn't even good to begin with".:lol :(

So what you're saying is you actually don't know how the PS3 works, and what causes this.

It's not the turning on and turning off, it's the turning on, stressing the system, and turning off. There is almost zero demand on the CPU/GPU when downloading / installing. It is completely different.

I would get this if they offered cloud saving for me to back up my saves on top of what they're offering. As it is though, I'm not gonna sign up.

krae_man

TTP said:
Stand by mode doesn't mean what you think it does.

It's already explained to you in one of the posts above.

I read that post. I'm well aware of the difference between the hard power switch in the back and the red light being on.

I do not believe that is what is meant by "Stand by mode" though. I'm 99.9% sure it's going to have to be in the remote play standby mode which is pretty much like leaving it on 24/7. If they can really can turn the system on to download the updates in the way netguy503 says, why can't they do remote play that way then?

I would use remote play if you could do it like that instead of the "Remote play standby mode" thing.

Edit:

The way remote play standby mode used to work is you had to put it in standby mode manually and leave your system in that state still on(green light). A firmware update came out allowing "remote start" but in reality all it did was create a toggle in the options menu of "put my PS3 in remote play standby mode every time I turn my PS3 off" and when you turn the system off the light turns red, but in reality it's just in standby mode and every bit as on as before.

The red light is a lie:lol

AranhaHunter said:
I would get this if they offered cloud saving for me to back up my saves on top of what they're offering. As it is though, I'm not gonna sign up.
I'm noticing a lot of people saying this. I think Sony would be very smart to offer this as a part of the overall package.

krae_man said:
I read that post. I'm well aware of the difference between the hard power switch in the back and the red light being on.

I do not believe that is what is meant by "Stand by mode" though. I'm 99.9% sure it's going to have to be in the remote play standby mode which is pretty much like leaving it on 24/7. If they can really can turn the system on to download the updates in the way netguy503 says, why can't they do remote play that way then?

I would use remote play if you could do it like that instead of the "Remote play standby mode" thing.

Edit:

The way remote play standby mode used to work is you had to put it in standby mode manually and leave your system in that state still on(green light). A firmware update came out allowing "remote start" but in reality all it did was create a toggle in the options menu of "put my PS3 in remote play standby mode every time I turn my PS3 off" and when you turn the system off the light turns red, but in reality it's just in standby mode and every bit as on as before.

The red light is a lie:lol

The remote play standby mode lies in between normal standby (off) and fully powered-on normal play mode.

For this new updating feature the firmware could simply be programmed to power the console on once a day/week/etc from a complete standby (off) status. If it's scheduled, then it wouldn't be anything like Remote Play and in a pseudo-standby mode waiting for a magic packet.

AwRy108

badcrumble said:
I'm noticing a lot of people saying this. I think Sony would be very smart to offer this as a part of the overall package.

The theme here seems to be this: none of the PSN+ package has been very well thought out.

I'd gladly pay for cloud saves and cross-game chat--they could leave everything else be.

As of now, even at just a few $'s a month, I'm still not buying in.

DigiMish

Cloud saving is definitely what this gaming age needs, thanks to such high numbers of consoles failing of all brands. Securing accomplishments and your future FTW!

AndyD

aka andydumi
DigiMish said:
Cloud saving is definitely what this gaming age needs, thanks to such high numbers of consoles failing of all brands. Securing accomplishments and your future FTW!

Yep. It would be interesting with game sharing though... everyone would use the same save? :lol :lol

Joking aside, cloud saves are the one thing that would make a large number of players sign up. Even if its not live, behind the scenes saving, but something like the game updates, if it fires up every night by itself or on demand after a play session it would be just fine.

Nothing angers us more than losing some untransferrable saves for games that are very hard, stuff like Demon's Souls. Cloud saving would be fantastic.

see5harp

You know all of this talk of cloud saving and how that would affect game sharing and all Sony has to do is allow us to save games to a flash drive or back things up. This shit isn't rocket science.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have no real interest in cloud saving, but I'm super interested in automatic backups of saves to USB sticks. It'd be so nice to just stick a USB stick in my PS3 and have it automatically back up all my saves. It could even do it differentially so that monster save files like Afrika weren't a problem.

CozMick

Banned
I'm desperately trying to convince myself that PSN+ is worth it...........

Background downloads is certainly not worth my £40.

Sure the free game incentive is cool, but how many of those games would I actually buy and play If they weren't thrown at me.

CozMick

Banned
Man said:
They will probably get you when the GT5, LBP2 and KZ3 betas roll around.

I would give Sony my arse If they offered all three betas with PSN+

but once my subscription is up I want my arse back
:lol

I was leaning towards signing up for the three month at least just to see how the service is, but everything I'm hearing makes me think this is a service aimed at people who don't use their PS3 that often. Automatic updates of the last ten games? Why would I need them to do that, I PLAY the last ten games all within a days or two, I will get the updates timely enough. PSN and PS1 rentals? I own all the PSN stores games that are any good, and I'd have to wait a long time until enough new games cycle in and those are free. Maybe the discount is worth it, but I don't know enough about what discount and on what products. I don't care about free avatars and themes, I already have the best avatar and theme on the system and those will never be beaten lol. Qore? eh, It's a cool show but it doesn't tell me anything I can't learn just reading the same internet site I do anyways.
I'm too Elite for the elite service : (

Sophia

CozMick said:
Sure the free game incentive is cool, but how many of those games would I actually buy and play If they weren't thrown at me.

I really think it's dependent on how many games you already own. I own a total of one PSN title and one retail title, and I rent a lot of games. It's effectively my way of seeing if the game is worth spending my money on.

So the idea of free games and free full-game trials for what I'd essentially spend on rentals anyhow is worth my money for sure. Moreso if the service eventually starts to include retail titles. There are certain titles (3D Dot Game Heroes, for example) I just can't play because they're not available to rent and I don't feel like spending money on a game I may not want.

CozMick

Banned
Marrshu said:
I really think it's dependent on how many games you already own. I own a total of one PSN title and one retail title, and I rent a lot of games. It's effectively my way of seeing if the game is worth spending my money on.

So the idea of free games and free full-game trials for what I'd essentially spend on rentals anyhow is worth my money for sure. Moreso if the service eventually starts to include retail titles. There are certain titles (3D Dot Game Heroes, for example) I just can't play because they're not available to rent and I don't feel like spending money on a game I may not want.

I definitely understand how you would benefit from this service.

Lucky for some I guess :D

Stumpokapow said:
I have no real interest in cloud saving, but I'm super interested in automatic backups of saves to USB sticks. It'd be so nice to just stick a USB stick in my PS3 and have it automatically back up all my saves. It could even do it differentially so that monster save files like Afrika weren't a problem.

mh, if you don't have an USB stick connected all the time, it wouldn't help THAT much, would it?
Currently, after you have copied all your savegames once to a USB drive, the next time you just order them by date (updated, not creation date) and only copy the ones after the last date you copied them (= the new ones) so it's not much effort anymore (though they really should allow the copy-multiple-feature possible for media files...)
Also you still wouldn't be able to backup the copyprotected savegames, cloud-saving would very likely allow that.

Sophia

CozMick said:
I definitely understand how you would benefit from this service.

Lucky for some I guess :D

Yeah, best part is, I don't feel bad about dropping it and picking it back up like Netflix. It's nothing essential that I need, but it's nice to have.

Unlike Xbox Live, where I'm at the mercy of whenever a multiplayer game or demo is released. :lol

Raistlin

Stumpokapow said:

Would that work for 'locked' games though? I wonder if the assumption is a cloud-based service would, and that's why people are interested?

My guess: cross-game chat yanked from PSN+ at the last minute, firmware delayed to reflect this change. Probably next week then.

Top Bottom