• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Thread: Plus What? PLUS EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Has this been posted before? Apparently some of the games coming to PS+ EU in July and August have been leaked on what I presume is a Russian gaming blog: http://translate.google.com/transla...e=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http://kanobu.ru/pub/379138/

Might be fake though. Will have to wait and see.

Probably fake considering we get 3 PS3 games + 2 Vita Games every month and the pic only has 2 PS3 games per month.

But it makes sense otherwise, Payday 2 releases in August so having the first one for free is a smart way to market the sequel. Spec Ops was offered on US+ a couple of months ago. I want to believe!

EDIT: And I believe someone already confirmed LEGO: Lord of the Rings would be a PS+ game in July or August.

ReNeGaDe124

Probably fake considering we get 3 PS3 games + 2 Vita Games every month and the pic only has 2 PS3 games per month.

But it makes sense otherwise, Payday 2 releases in August so having the first one for free is a smart way to market the sequel. Spec Ops was offered on US+ a couple of months ago. I want to believe!

EDIT: And I believe someone already confirmed LEGO: Lord of the Rings would be a PS+ game in July or August.

But as you can see, the month of June is also missing a game, Demon's Souls. That's why I said "some of the games", because we will get another PS3 game along those in the picture I posted. So maybe LEGO: Lords of the Rings is that third game in either July or August.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
Man, I wish there would be a #PSPlusEqualGames campaign. I think European gamers really deserve their amazing lineup each month, since they have been screwed over so many times in the past, paying more for games and getting them late, but the US lineup is a joke.

I simply don't understand publishers and their politics getting full force behind SCEE but not SCEA for PS Plus. Does anyone know why there is such a huge gap in the quantity and quality of titles released on the different markets? Is it just based on the numbers of consoles sold in each territory? Licensing rights?...

Drago

Has there ever been a month where there has been some parity between EU and NA (as in both +'s got the same game in a month)

Has there ever been a month where there has been some parity between EU and NA (as in both +'s got the same game in a month)

June last year both regions got LBP 2, Infamous 2, Warhammer 40k Space Marine and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown at the same time. Borderlands looks to have been August for both, September both got Starhawk single player and both got Joe Danger 2 in March.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmRRDLosxQLIdGJmcVJudmxhSzhsb1hkX19ZRWMxS0E#gid=0

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh man, my 90 day sub ran out. I'll have to keep an eye out for deals. Will see what next month brings anyway before resubbing.

I'm not too sure we'd get two retail Vita games a month. It would probably remain one retail + one indie or just two indies so I dunno about that leaked list...

Jeanmamadou

Neo Member
Does anybody knows about the economics behind this service ?

Since I'm a PS+ member and given the uncertainty that surrounds the PS4 online services, I've really given up spending on PSN.

Here is a quick list of contents I was considering for purchase on EU PSN and that I absolutely recall holding off.
- Okami HD (30€)
-Ico HD (30€)
- God of War HD (30€)
- Sleeping Dogs (60€)
- Bioshock 2 (20€)

Assuming Sony takes a 30% cut on 3rd parties, that would be at least 90€ of cash that got into converted into a 50€ subscription fee. And I'm sure I can't recall many others aborted purchases because I just remembered I was a PS+ member.

I know this has been the topic of another thread but my question is : How does/can it work out for Sony ? Like, how do they reward 3rd parties releasing their games for free to PS+ members ?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Might have something to do with PS+ subs encouraging DLC purchases for those games, or discounts on games/DLC encouraging members to buy stuff they wouldn't otherwise. Not really sure though.

This is the answer they gave regarding Battlefield 3:

So maybe they had a change of mind or the leak is fake.

Looks pretty fake to me. To add to the above doubts, the Coconut Dodge icon is from the Minis version, not the new Vita version. I somehow doubt Sony would make that mistake.

Jeanmamadou

Neo Member
Might have something to do with PS+ subs encouraging DLC purchases for those games, or discounts on games/DLC encouraging members to buy stuff they wouldn't otherwise. Not really sure though.

I don't think so, they were giving Hitman Abolution + extensions last month !
But I did purchase the 35$ Okami Artbook after playing it but this is no money for Sony...

jayu26

How does/can it work out for Sony ? Like, how do they reward 3rd parties releasing their games for free to PS+ members ?

I think Sony is definitely eating a lot of cost of providing these games. But Sony probably looks at as a way to tie customers to their digital service. I heard that PS+ idea really took off at Sony after seeing how successful PSN comeback offer was after the hack.

In some cases both them and third party are eating the cost. Third party probably see it as a good way to either sell dlc or give exposure to games that have otherwise picked in sells at the retail. Indie developers just want their games in as many hands as possible. I think these reasons apply to Steam sales also. That is why I expect this to continue into next generation despite its economics not making much sense.

How does/can it work out for Sony ? Like, how do they reward 3rd parties releasing their games for free to PS+ members ?
From what I understand, they estimate how many members will download a given title, and then negotiate price with the publisher based on that. Obviously it's a lot less than they get for a regular purchase, but given that there are lots of Plus members out there that's still a decent chunk of cash, especially for titles that probably aren't selling that well any more.

And it's worth noting that not every Plus member downloads all the titles, which further increases Sony's margin on the subscriptions.

Andrefpvs

And it's worth noting that not every Plus member downloads all the titles, which further increases Sony's margin on the subscriptions.

I can't really understand this; I add everything that is free to my download list, even if I know I'll probably never play it. I mean, why wouldn't everyone do this?

Vashetti

Banned
I can't really understand this; I add everything that is free to my download list, even if I know I'll probably never play it. I mean, why wouldn't everyone do this?

1. Some people may only be interested in certain games and are happy enough to just pick the games they want.

2. Some people may think that "purchasing" all the games on offer may mean they have to download them all at once to their HDD, so they don't bother as they don't have the room.

Second point I think that Sony need to get across in their advertising.

1. Some people may only be interested in certain games and are happy enough to just pick the games they want.

2. Some people may think that "purchasing" all the games on offer may mean they have to download them all at once to their HDD, so they don't bother as they don't have the room.

Second point I think that Sony need to get across in their advertising.

More importantly, I think:
3. A lot of people don't visit the PS Blog or the PSN store every week, so they miss out on stuff simply by not paying attention.

androvsky

Since I'm a PS+ member and given the uncertainty that surrounds the PS4 online services, I've really given up spending on PSN.

Here is a quick list of contents I was considering for purchase on EU PSN and that I absolutely recall holding off.
- Okami HD (30€)
-Ico HD (30€)
- God of War HD (30€)
- Sleeping Dogs (60€)
- Bioshock 2 (20€)

Assuming Sony takes a 30% cut on 3rd parties, that would be at least 90€ of cash that got into converted into a 50€ subscription fee. And I'm sure I can't recall many others aborted purchases because I just remembered I was a PS+ member.

I know this has been the topic of another thread but my question is : How does/can it work out for Sony ? Like, how do they reward 3rd parties releasing their games for free to PS+ members ?
The part of how third-parties are rewarded is easy; Sony gives them a lump sum from subscription money based on estimated downloads; obviously that can't be as much as the sales would be, but this is for older games that aren't selling much anyway. It's easy money. For titles that go on PS+ when they launch, it's the publisher / developer betting that the PS+ lump sum will be more than the sales might be, and that the extra word of mouth will increase sales among Playstation users that aren't PS+ subscribers and regions where the game isn't free at launch. Obviously titles with DLC get the added benefit of extra DLC sales.

How the whole thing doesn't harm the PSN ecosystem is a little more complicated. For one thing, it helps keep player's attention on the PS3, so they're a little more likely to buy non-free games on there instead of the competition. Also, not everyone is a PS+ subscriber, so additional buzz on PSN titles can still result in higher sales, even if a large chunk of people are getting it for free. The recent emphasis on retail titles is more likely to discourage used sales. Finally, not every subscriber remembers to pick up every game while it's free, so there's a few extra sales when subscribers want to grab what they missed.

Joni

Some third-party publishers might not even get paid for Plus-releases of their content, but use it as a tool to sell DLC and sequels.

eggwolio

I don't understand why people still have reservations about PS+. I saw a kid in the store yesterday, probably in his early teens. I saw that he and his dad were headed to checkout with a used copy of Sleeping Dogs, priced at $35. I asked if they had internet and if their PS3 was online and explained that Sleeping Dogs was on PS+ and 3 months was just over half the price. Kid acted like I was an a-hole and told me that was a ridiculous suggestion cause "games take forever to download over wifi." His dad looked irritated that there was a much cheaper option but he went ahead and paid the cashier and they left. I just shook my head.

I don't understand why people still have reservations about PS+. I saw a kid in the store yesterday, probably in his early teens. I saw that he and his dad were headed to checkout with a used copy of Sleeping Dogs, priced at $35. I asked if they had internet and if their PS3 was online and explained that Sleeping Dogs was on PS+ and 3 months was just over half the price. Kid acted like I was an a-hole and told me that was a ridiculous suggestion cause "games take forever to download over wifi." His dad looked irritated that there was a much cheaper option but he went ahead and paid the cashier and they left. I just shook my head.

Well to be fair he could have a tiny HDD and his internet could actually be garbage.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just finished Ico.
Great Scott.

I didn't cry. Really. Not a single tear!
:(

What a gem. I don't think I would have played it without plus. Great puzzle/platformer.

Labadal

I might have to pick up a Vita very soon. I'll wait until E3 is over and see if they drop the price first. With the PS+ stuff, I have enough games to keep me occupied for some time.

kaskade

I might have to pick up a Vita very soon. I'll wait until E3 is over and see if they drop the price first. With the PS+ stuff, I have enough games to keep me occupied for some time.

I'm feeling the same way. It seems like you can buy the vita and a memory card and have enough games to last a good while. Even if they don't drop the price I wouldn't mind a few months of plus and a memory card included.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Something like Blaz Blue aivt or Soul Calibur psp/tekken psp/kof13 for ps3.

I know I don't want to play them ever. Why spend the time putting it on my DL list?

Menaged

Just finished Ico.
Great Scott.

What a gem. I don't think I would have played it without plus. Great puzzle/platformer.

Easily one of my favorite games. Played it for the first time years ago beacuse of a demo that came with my PS2, and playing it a few months ago again just reaffirmed my love for this games.

I especialy love the part where
Ico and Yorda are running on the bridge and it suddenly breaks or something, leaving Yorda behind. I instinctivly ran back to get her. I didn't think about it for a second. It speaks so highly IMO about the connection between the player and Yorda, and that's without a word of dialog.

Masterpiece :)

Cronen

Was picking normal game mode for Catherine a good or bad idea?
Kinda stuck in 3rd nightmare,
THAT ASS
is fast..

I struggled with Catherine on normal. After changing the difficulty to Easy I managed to get through it without many problems at all. I recommend it!

The_Monk

Was picking normal game mode for Catherine a good or bad idea?
Kinda stuck in 3rd nightmare,
THAT ASS
is fast..

I played on Easy fellow GAFfer since I'm not a big fan of Puzzle games and it was fine but I had some problems on the very end. Aside of that no problems at all.

What day of the week did the previous GameStop leak happen? Surprised we haven't seen one for June yet.

E3 being in 8 days + replacement of year long titles mean Sony might want to surprise everyone this month, especially if they announce that PS+ crosses over to the PS4. That added in with a really good game line up could probably get them a good amount of new subscriptions this month.

iiicon

Just finished Ico.
Great Scott.

I envy you. I would love to be able to go back and replay Ico for the first time. Easily one of my favourite and most memorable PS2 experiences. Now get to Shadow of the Colossus if you haven't already!

Ocaso

E3 being in 8 days + replacement of year long titles mean Sony might want to surprise everyone this month, especially if they announce that PS+ crosses over to the PS4. That added in with a really good game line up could probably get them a good amount of new subscriptions this month.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only announce a single game on Monday and leave the rest of the month as an E3 reveal. I'm sure they'll be adding some heavy hitters to replace the three year-long titles.

Drago

What time tomorrow should the June games be announced?

Hoping for Rayman Vita or Catherine based on recent EU + games.
though we won't get either

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've got my fingers crossed for Arkham City this month... I sold it a while back and really really regret it. Would have repurchased, but I saw EU give it away and it made me think twice. I still have all the preoder stuff and DLC...

It's still quite a while till we find out US instant game collection, right?

edit: nvm guess we'll know tomorrow, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom