• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2023 |OT| Show as a Service! (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm BST) (No Spoilers!)

Rate the Blow... Showcase

• Total voters

AGRacing

hHupuQW.jpg

Mr Hyde

Dragons dogma was one of my favorites of the show and I never played the first one. After a bit I wanted them to stop showing the awesome looking villians and enemies cause I want to be surprised.

Dragons Dogma 2 looked like the first one but on steroids. Looks like it takes place in the same world too as the first. Combat is what sets this franchise apart from other RPGs. It's downright fantastic, especially the magic archery, and I would like to think that Capcom nails it like they did in the first. I think you'll enjoy it greatly if you liked what you saw here on this showcase.

phant0m

Big ol pile of alright. Plenty to look forward to, and I’m glad they targeted games that were getting soon instead of stingers for shit we won’t see for another 18 months.

MGS3 trailer surprised the hell out of me. Obviously knew it was in the show but those first 20 seconds were not at all what I thought that trailer would be. Marathon remake looks cool, as does AW II. Plucky Squire is gonna slap but we saw it at TGA, nothing new there.

SE really trying a Splatoon knock off?

Wild that hardware announcement was a fucking footnote in an hour long trailer reel. I guess it’s just streaming device, not something you can play standalone but still.

Bluecondor

I feel like it's going to be ages until we see another console game based around criminal enterprises. The continued success of GTA:O and the massive failure of Saints Row have basically grinded the genre to a halt.

Vognerful

Just finished watching the show. Things that caught my attention:

• Immortals of Aveum
  • Phantom Blade
  • Sword of the Sea
  • the Talos principles
  • MGS of course
  • Granblue Fantasy
  • Marathon

all in all, I would say PC players are eating well.

Puscifer

The only thing dissapointing about that spiderman showing was some of your ridiculous expectations
That reveal trailer and the things insomniac were saying set a particular bar that we'd be seeing this huge graphical leap. And it barely looks better than miles and I watched it on my 4K monitor from the Playstation channel.

Hoppa

Spiderman looks awesome as expected but not much for me here unfortunately. Too many space robots aliens and spaceships tbh. Also I blame you shameless plum pips for telling Sony you like cat games when Stray came out

I get to play Beat Saber now though which is nice

Last edited:

sachos

Platforms are dead within this gen or next imo, its not sustainable
I agree games are taking waaay too long to make. Thats my hope for Generative AI, to significantly reduce dev time moving forward, get it closer back to the PS2/3 days. But i think we as consumers have to agree to chill a little with our expectations for insane graphics if we want shorter dev times, i think ToTK showed us that graphics really do not matter that much, gameplay is king as you say. Although i admit even that example is not that good since even without insane graphics it took 6 years to make.

So disappointed. That could have been easily a state of play instead of a showcase. Seems to me they had too many marketing obligations that the show was too long and therefore they labeled it as a showcase, but not because of its quality…

supernova8

Banned
My takeaways:

1) The only game that stood out to me was Phantom Blade, and I'd never even heard of Phantom Blade before the Showcase.
2) Way too many games also coming to PS4
3) PSVR2 showing was so meh they should've just shown that stuff at a separate State of Play
4) Gran Turismo movie looks like it will be coming to Amazon Prime very soon after release
5) Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater reveal was pointless, at least show us a bit more, like they did with the Silent Hill 2 Remake
6) Spider-Man 2 didn't offer the sort of graphical leap I was expecting considering it's a PS5 exclusive (if you watch it again, you'll see the explosions look particularly underwhelming)
7) Loved the cheeky Xbox tweet right after the show reminding everyone that a lot of the games shown are also coming to Xbox.

and finally:

8) This far into the PS5 console cycle and still no true breathtakingly good looking games? Seriously?

Thank fuuuuck I bought a Series S instead of waiting for next-gen games that are probably never going to appear (that includes Series X).

Last edited:
Is my memory failing me, did they really show only 1 First Party single player game? All the other stuff was GaaS? After almost 2 years of no Showcase, oof.

Nope your memory is not failing you. That actually happened.

My takeaways:

1) The only game that stood out to me was Phantom Blade, and I'd never even heard of Phantom Blade before the Showcase.
2) Way too many games also coming to PS4
3) PSVR2 showing was so meh they should've just shown that stuff at a separate State of Play
4) Gran Turismo movie looks like it will be coming to Amazon Prime very soon after release
5) Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater reveal was pointless, at least show us a bit more, like they did with the Silent Hill 2 Remake
6) Spider-Man 2 didn't offer the sort of graphical leap I was expecting considering it's a PS5 exclusive (if you watch it again, you'll see the explosions look particularly underwhelming)
7) Loved the cheeky Xbox tweet right after the show reminding everyone that a lot of the games shown are also coming to Xbox.

and finally:

8) This far into the PS5 console cycle and still no true breathtakingly good looking games? Seriously?

Thank fuuuuck I bought a Series S instead of waiting for next-gen games that are probably never going to appear.

Agreed with a lot in here except the idea there still isn't any breathtaking good looking games available on PS5. There are several. Rift Apart, Demon Souls Remake, HFW Burning Shores, GT7 etc.

The problem is, they are either cross-gen games or were released years ago, or in Burning Shore's case just an expansion. Spiderman 2 look quite good visually but, yeah, not the visual leap I was expecting (and I'd say Rift Apart, looks better).

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Nope your memory is not failing you. That actually happened.

Agreed with a lot in here except the idea there still isn't any breathtaking good looking games available on PS5. There are several. Rift Apart, Demon Souls Remake, HFW Burning Shores, GT7 etc.

The problem is, they are either cross-gen games or were released years ago, or in Burning Shore's case just an expansion. Spiderman 2 look quite good visually but, yeah, not the visual leap I was expecting (and I'd say Rift Apart, looks better).
Yeah I agree, Rift Apart definitely leans into the art style. Also Rift Part not targeting pseudo-photorealism (in the way that Spiderman is) because it's also fantasy creatures helps it a great deal.

But like you said, those games were released years ago so I was kinda hoping they were "the tip of the iceberg". Turns out maybe this level of visuals is all we should really expect. Of course, there's every chance that Naughty Dog, Guerilla, and Santa Monica come out with some amazing-looking games but I can't imagine those dropping for at least a few more years (which leaves me thinking "OK er... what now?".

Then again, the Alex Jones-esque tinfoil hat man in me is screaming "Sony is just holding back until/to see if the Microsoft ActBliz deal falls through!!!!". Plus, I guess it makes business sense for Sony not to show off its big guns until PS5 sales experience a noticeable slowdown.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

lol let it go bro. They got nothing. This was their first real show in 3 years and they literally had nothing from their first party other than spiderman 2.

@James Sawyer Ford Can we finally agree that Jim Ryan and Herman Hurst are hacks who need to go? PS might be posting record sales, but I am not a stockholder. I am a consumer and a gamer and they have proven me right over and over again. You want me to give them a shot. Well, three years later, time has proved me right.

I want an apology from all other sony fans on this board for predicting this man would completely ruin the best part about playstation gaming. Actual boundry pushing exclusives. They have nothing. 25 studios and 1 game with gameplay. After 3 years.
I've noticed the same, I swear one day they will run Playstation to the ground creatively. Like literally relying on third party deals, axing japan studios, "remake galore", milking Horizon(it was obvious with Hulst getting more creative control)
Saying "fuck showcases" being tight lipped for no reason regarding their first party studios, increasing game prices. Saying fuck AA games only cinematic experiences, saying "who wants to have BC???""" Fucking showing off Movie trailers during their Playstation Showcases now, this is early Xbox One showcase levels of bad. It's obvious that those are out of touch. I want Yosp/House back 😫

Last edited:

Dafegamer

Yup, plus Assassin's Creed looked pretty good and apparently Marathon was a great game back in the day, I'd like to know more about this reboot. Street Fighter 6 too.

Even the ones I'm not all that interested like the EA FPS game didn't look too bad, people enjoyed Ghost Runner and apparently Talos Principle is a good game, right?

I honestly don't know why people are so negative, it was a good show.
If it was a state of play, it would be perfectly fine.... It being Sony big showcase in years tho.... Absolutely not a good showing, especially if you expect actual updates from their In-house devs :/

sachos

People wondering how Microsoft can fight back? Double down on their single player IPs, now more than ever. Come out announcing Dishonored 3, Prey 2, Doom 3, Quake Reboot with Dark Gothic Bloodborne like awesthetic, Wolfenstein 3, The Evil Within 3. They have a chance, they have to take it.

Cornbread78

So, like...... where are all Sony's IPs? This was an OK 3rd party showcase, but only 1 Sony game? Really? 3 years into PS5 and only 1 game at their big post COVID conference? The excuses are gone at this point and it's sad to see, but this is a prime example of how MS is gonna be feasting 2025+ with all the Beth & Acti/Bliz 1st party titles coming..

GoW and......... umm, GoW can't carry a console for the rest of the gen...

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Sony fuel was spent during PS4.
This gen, they need that fuel back, especially with Xbox trying to get their shit together.
Anymore of this nonsense, and Xbox might have a slim chance for competition.

It was a failure focusing on live service games. They still don't have their own shooter SP games or RPG games.

I don't game anymore but if I played I would be completely disapointed.
This is a Sony PS showcase. Only one PS studios game was showned, and that was Spiderman. What the heck are PS studios doing?
We got bunch of generic games that will be realeased in other platforms and there was nothing really new.
What was there to justify dropping 500 eurs on a PS5? Heck, some games looked like moblle games.
Worst time ever for videogames. I'm glad I lived my youth 20 years ago.
It was bad Grandad now take your tablets and try and make it one night without shitting the bed like Playstation did

Apeopleman

No Last of Us 2 Factions

No Bloodborne 1 remake or Bloodborne 2

No Socom 5 developed by Guerilla Games or whatever Guerillas secret project is

Sony used to drop bombs at every E3. Now we don’t get shit.

Top Bottom