• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Rumble U (April 24th Japan) - First Wii U game to use NFC

From the TOS:
D. Copyrighted Material

The posting of full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images is not allowed. Users in breach of this rule are subject to banning. The posting of review scores (without text), news summaries, rumors, and review paraphrasing is acceptable, as long as credit is given to the original source.

So deleting those scans would be a good idea, guys :)

hiro4

Welp here we go!
But I must say the most interesting part to me is the price point. 200 yen is something the kids themselves can buy or at least the parents won't mind as much compared to the sky landers figures.

Vinci

Danish
Smart, but they should have made a much bigger entrance with nfc.

We've been discussing this outcome for a while and I have to agree. I mean, this could be a case of 'not awesome but good enough to be big without being overly costly,' but this seems like it could be a bit too narrow in its appeal compared to what many of us really had in mind.

Guess we'll see whether this is Nintendo being conservatively brilliant or just conservative.

Azure J

Herald to the Tsar Bomba that is some form of mainline-like NFC powered Pokemon game or Pokemon TCG: Revengeance. This could really be massive.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm not so happy about this.
I don't like the style of the figures, I'd prefer normal Pokemon figures. I'm not sure that an ehsop rumble spinoff is importan enough to present this feature of the WiiU Gamepad.
If it's just a start or a test, and they'll push it also with other projects I'd be ok.

CengizMan

They are probably just testing the waters with this. Not surprised by this at all. This was kinda bound to happen. What I didn't expect though, was that they are doing this for a eShop title. Like I said, probably testing the waters.

The way Miyamoto talked about NFC though, it seemed to me that he has much greater plans for it than just simply copying Skylanders. Maybe the e-Reader like functionality? Or perhaps that rumoured Gamer Card? Something with the 3DS. The possibilities surely are endless.

Famicom? Fan Club?

NFC= Near Field Communication.

Like how Skylanders and it's figures work.

Edit: Since it's possible to "train" the figures, could we see people trying to resell fully trained figures on ebay for high prices? Or will they likely be locked to your account or something?

Neo Child

Banned
loved the one on the wii, I kinda like this idea because choosing a starter one to go through the game as cause they'll probably level up this way.
edit: yeh scans say the figures level up,
that was something I wanted cause the first one didn't have this

graphics look kinda nice, the wii one looked alright and was insane amounts of fun when 4 of us played. reminded me of dungeon explorer on the turbografx in 4p & gauntlet but POKEMON

ash_ag

200 yen is currently £1.49, so I expect these to be £1.99 in the UK.
And $1.99 in the US, probably.

It should translate into 2€ and $2, so, probably £1.75.

NFC= Near Field Communication.

Like how Skylanders and it's figures work.

Actually, the Skylander figures work with RFID. NFC is kind of an extension to that, but a more advanced standard. I'm surprised Activision didn't launch Skylanders with NFC, as it's far more secure.

Rumble is the most sensible at least as a first try, considering the Pokemon ARE already toys here.

How would they do this in a real Pokemon game anyway? Equivalent to promotions?

NFC RFID is a lot harder to exploit than a simple optical code. Hell, I don't think people have pulled it off for Skylanders yet.

Skylanders has had an exploit from what I remember. With that said, Skylanders is a multi-million dollar market, whereas Pokemon is multi-billion dollar market. I expect exploits for Pokemon to be far aggressive than Skylanders'. It would be as simple as generating NFC code from your NFC-active cellphone, as long as someone is willing to crack it.

udivision

Rumble is the most sensible at least as a first try, considering the Pokemon ARE already toys here.

I think you'd just make a more desirable game than Pokemon Rumble... whatever that means. It wouldn't work for the main ones.

Tehalemi

649 Pokemon. Gen 1-5.

jeezuz kryst. D:

K-ON_-_Akiyama_Mio_56153.gif

We'll soon be shifting from hat-based to pokemon based currencies, heh.

My little cousin paid $33 for 5 tiny Mario Bros figures this past week. I would bet Nintendo has something major planned. This is but testing the waters.

Wiz

Nintendo/Pokemon Company will be raking in the dough.

Cheap toys, cheap game...it's a no brainer.

fernoca

If anything, I wonder how this would be distributed outside Japan (if the figures made it). There are too few Nintendo Stores, maybe a deal with Gamestop? Toys R Us and Activision have a deal for Skylanders so I doubt they'll make a separate deal for Pokémon; but who knows.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kind of an odd choice. I guess this is Nintendo's big Golden Week game?

Sqorgar

Banned
Sounds like the little capsule toys I used to buy when I lived in Japan. They had these adorable SD Gundam figures for 200yen in gumball machines. A new collection of six or seven every month. Looked like this (wave 47?):

unbranded-capsule-toys-sd-gundam-stage-47-set.jpg

Not sure how they'd do it in America, because we don't have anything like that and I doubt they'd sell them randomly for $2 ea.

If it was a full retail release maybe. This is download only- not going to drive any traffic to Wii U hardware.

Depends how much they market it, Nintendo have run adverts for download only software before and the cheap price coupled with less reluctance now in japan to buy direct download games could still drive hardware

Somnid

Eh, unless the figures stand on their own as collectables the game won't drive them very far, especially as a DD game. I still Nintendo needs to sit down with the Pokemon company and plan a multiplatform, multigame lineup of figures if they want to go that route. It doesn't need to be Pokemon though, a new IP could do just as well.

OMG Aero

Well at least they are doing this with the Rumble series of games and not the actually good Pokemon games.
My wallet is safe for now.

Sounds like the little capsule toys I used to buy when I lived in Japan. They had these adorable SD Gundam figures for 200yen in gumball machines. A new collection of six or seven every month. Looked like this (wave 47?):

unbranded-capsule-toys-sd-gundam-stage-47-set.jpg

Not sure how they'd do it in America, because we don't have anything like that and I doubt they'd sell them randomly for $2 ea.

Pokemon originated as Capsule Monsters.

FULL CIRCLE!!! XD

Starting with 6 regular figures, and one special one. Figures can be trained in-game and then have the data written back to the figures.

Story is that the toys fell in a river and were washed away from their toy shop and are attempting to return. Boss fights included, like Chandelure.

EDIT: Damnit Joe.

I see, so the incentive to picking up the figure over finding the Pokemon in-game is the ability to level-up the figure and be able to use your favourite Pokemon for the whole game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If they have some kind of starter bundle at retail that has a few toys and a download code card, that might help a lot.

I find it hard to think that this operation could push KIDS to purchae an expansive home console in Japan nowadays.

BTW, if you look at the scan you do see a Pikachu toy, it is Skylanders style with the stand and it looks exactly like the in-game design, makes sense.

JoeM86

Is this a new game or an up-port of Pokemon Rumble with the NFC characters added?

Totally new game :)

Eh, unless the figures stand on their own as collectables the game won't drive them very far, especially as a DD game. I still Nintendo needs to sit down with the Pokemon company and plan a multiplatform, multigame lineup of figures if they want to go that route. It doesn't need to be Pokemon though, a new IP could do just as well.

That won't happen. Junichi Masuda, director of the main series, has said in interviews that he's against making kids have to pay for extras for the main games. As such, the main series games are incredibly unlikely see paid DLC nor figures such as these.

This is a spin-off game, however, and really the most logical one. It's the best selling of the recent spin-off games, with the Wii one consistently staying at the top of download charts and the 3DS one being one of the first 3DS games to break a million units sold. Plus, it's all about Toy Pokémon!

A new IP wouldn't do as well either. While in the west, Pokémon is big, but not huge, while in Japan it is MASSIVE. There is no game that approaches its popularity. It is embedded everywhere. Every shop you will enter will have something Pokémon branded: Some food, some random toys etc. These toys will likely sell on their own as it is, let alone for Rumble U usage.

Top Bottom