• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Tom_Cody

I just picked up Yellow yesterday and I'm having a blast. This will be my first Pokemon.

Well, I actually owned Red back in the day. And then Pearl. But I bailed on both of those early. I used to have an absolute completionist attitude towards gaming (101% completion, etc), and I couldn't handle the fact that I would never 'collect them all'.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun. I wasn't planning on getting Sun/Moon, but then I happened to play the demo and I got sucked in again. I've been stewing in my juices waiting for November 18th and I found myself looking for another way to satisfy my Pokemon interest. When I heard that you could transfer Pokemon over into the latest gen, it became a no-brainer for me to pick up one of the VC games. And when I discovered that you can get all three starters in Yellow, I downloaded it that second.

If I have questions along the way, should I ask here or the main Pokemon community thread?

eefara

Probably your best bet would be the main community thread, though since I'm never over there I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be to get answers. This thread is great, but it's been pretty dead for a while now.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I may have a bug, unless Sleep worked differently back then. My Butterfree Refuses to wake up, is that normal?

Sleep status in gen 1 lasted between 1-7 turns, though it might as well be 8 turns since waking up takes a turn as well.

Just use an awakening and make sure that you have some with you till you get the Pokéflute.

Smasher89

Just saw on serebii that they will have a mew ticket distribution in the UK, any idea if it gets something out of the ordinary moveset?
I bet glitched mew/missigno can get transferred anyway!

Zubz

Banned
Just saw on serebii that they will have a mew ticket distribution in the UK, any idea if it gets something out of the ordinary moveset?
I bet glitched mew/missigno can get transferred anyway!

But wait, I thought we knew that (Sun/Moon Spoilers)
Missingno was not added to the Pokedex?

Missingno. transfer would result in a few things, judging by past ways of handling it:

-Missingno. would turn into a Ditto, as was done in Stadium 2
-Missingno./other glitches would convert into what they became on the hexadecimal table in G/S/C. Unlikely, as []'M[] would stay as hex 00 which to this day is still the placeholder pokedex image.
-They'd just block it until it was removed from the box in question.

Zubz

Banned
Missingno. transfer would result in a few things, judging by past ways of handling it:

-Missingno. would turn into a Ditto, as was done in Stadium 2
-Missingno./other glitches would convert into what they became on the hexadecimal table in G/S/C. Unlikely, as []'M[] would stay as hex 00 which to this day is still the placeholder pokedex image.
-They'd just block it until it was removed from the box in question.

There's still time to add in the "Make Missingno a canon Pokemon and just turn the glitches into the actual Pokemon" option, right? I mean, the ability to transfer isn't starting until January; maybe GameFreak half-learned from previous blunders and are planning on patching Missingno in later?

In all seriousness, they probably would just tell you it couldn't be transferred like Bad Eggs/hacked Pokemon, but Ultra Beasts and the overflow of Gen 1 love are the perfect opportunity to canonize Missingno!

Tom_Cody

Question: Are there any downside to doing the Mew glitch? And then doing the level 100 glitch?

I'm just about to get to the point where I can get Abra, and I've left the two necessary trainers unfought.

Can getting Mew cause save file problems or anything else?

If I do the level 100 glitch, would the Mew miss out on any moves that could be gained from leveling it up? I have no issue with glitching the game to get Mew, but skipping it to level 100 seems like unnecessary cheating somehow.

Question: Are there any downside to doing the Mew glitch? And then doing the level 100 glitch?

I'm just about to get to the point where I can get Abra, and I've left the two necessary trainers unfought.

Can getting Mew cause save file problems or anything else?

If I do the level 100 glitch, would the Mew miss out on any moves that could be gained from leveling it up? I have no issue with glitching the game to get Mew, but skipping it to level 100 seems like unnecessary cheating somehow.
If you do it with the standard Cerulean or Lavender version, no. The glitch can cause certain overworld objects to disappear but there aren't any of those on the normal methods.

In Gen 1, a Pokemon jumping levels like that would result in them not learning any of the level up moves from the skipped levels. It's not a problem with Mew however, whose best level up move is Psychic and also gets literally every TM/HM, but it's something to keep in mind. Personally I wouldn't do it though. Gen 1 is easy enough that you don't need to glitch to max level.

I just beat the Elite Four and Gary last night, with the in-game timer at almost exactly 13 hours. I'm actually a bit surprised it took me this long, as I've been able to power through the recent Pokemon games in less time. I forgot how many and how detailed the "dungeons" in RBY are, and I guess the world sizes haven't actually increased that much over the generations. Plus I wasted so much time managing items because my computer and bag got full.

I solo'd the whole game with my starter Pikachu, which probably wasn't ideal, but it wasn't that difficult. I grinded before Brock until Pikachu learned Double Team at level 15, then abused that for the win. It was surprisingly easy (or maybe I got lucky). Giovanni (at Viridian) gave me way more trouble. While Pikachu could take a few Tackles from Brock's Geodude and Onix, it could only take two Earthquakes from Giovanni's Dugtrio, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Rhydon. I abused Double Team again, but also had to use two hyper potions to stay healthy. I also taught Pikachu Seismic Toss (TM19) to have a reliable damage-dealer for ground types. It was able to KO almost everything in 2 hits, other than Lance's Dragonite and Gary's Sandslash, which took 3 hits. Pikachu was level 79 going in to the Elite Four, and level 82 after beating Gary. So if you're thinking of solo-ing Yellow with Pikachu, that's how I did it.

Jesus lol, post the run next time.

jrDev

Playing yellow right now before jumping into Sun, but why does the item bag section not give a description of what the actual item does?

Playing yellow right now before jumping into Sun, but why does the item bag section not give a description of what the actual item does?
Considering they admitted to having to decide between allowing three save slots or being able to nickname your Pokemon, I would guess memory limitations. There's a few signs around that explain what certain items do, but yeah, some of the stuff isn't immediately obvious.

eefara

Considering they admitted to having to decide between allowing three save slots or being able to nickname your Pokemon, I would guess memory limitations. There's a few signs around that explain what certain items do, but yeah, some of the stuff isn't immediately obvious.

Whoa, I've never heard this before; super interesting. Are there any interviews or anything floating around where the devs talk about stuff like this?

Whoa, I've never heard this before; super interesting. Are there any interviews or anything floating around where the devs talk about stuff like this?

Can't remember which interview it was (might have even been Iwata Asks: HGSS), but this site has a bunch of old interviews archived. Even includes the concept art that gets posted a bunch, but this time with context.

eefara

Can't remember which interview it was (might have even been Iwata Asks: HGSS), but this site has a bunch of old interviews archived. Even includes the concept art that gets posted a bunch, but this time with context.

Fantastic, thanks!

In other news, I finished my Spanish Halloween-themed run of Pokemon Blue a couple of weeks ago. Final party was ComeHombe (Victreebel) [Level 41], Luna (Wigglytuff) [Level 42], Bruja (Hypno) [Level 43], Murcielago (Golbat) [Level 43], Calabeza (Blastoise) [Level 44], Fantasma (Haunter) [Level 45]. I think I averaged somewhere around 15-20 levels below the Elite Four, but I still didn't have too much trouble. Kinda makes me want to push it, see how low I can go.

I probably should have gone for a Clefable for Luna, but I've got history with Jigglypuff and Halloween, so I couldn't resist. It was kinda tough to find Halloween-y Pokemon that I hadn't used in my Yellow/Red runs, and I did repeat one (Haunter), but overall it was surprisingly successful. In particular Wigglytuff and Golbat amazed me with how long they managed to hand on throughout the run.

Now I just need my Gen 2 VC releases. :<

jrDev

How in the world did we know what each obscure item did without using it? Like TMs that you find...
Fantastic, thanks!

In other news, I finished my Spanish Halloween-themed run of Pokemon Blue a couple of weeks ago. Final party was ComeHombe (Victreebel) [Level 41], Luna (Wigglytuff) [Level 42], Bruja (Hypno) [Level 43], Murcielago (Golbat) [Level 43], Calabeza (Blastoise) [Level 44], Fantasma (Haunter) [Level 45]. I think I averaged somewhere around 15-20 levels below the Elite Four, but I still didn't have too much trouble. Kinda makes me want to push it, see how low I can go.

I probably should have gone for a Clefable for Luna, but I've got history with Jigglypuff and Halloween, so I couldn't resist. It was kinda tough to find Halloween-y Pokemon that I hadn't used in my Yellow/Red runs, and I did repeat one (Haunter), but overall it was surprisingly successful. In particular Wigglytuff and Golbat amazed me with how long they managed to hand on throughout the run.

Now I just need my Gen 2 VC releases. :<
Yes please! Probably at next years NDirect!

Tom_Cody

Another Pokemon newbie question regarding my Yellow playthrough:

Are Double Kick and/or Pin Missile viable moves for Jolteon?

I'm right at the end of the Silph Co and my final team is starting to take shape:
-All three starters to cover Fire, Water, and Grass offense.
-Mew to cover psychic offense (plus ground and ice thanks to TMs)
-Pikachu (it's yellow after all)
-And an open slot for HM users

This leaves me with two offensive gaps: Fighting (for use against Normal) and Bug (for use against Psychic). Jolteon learns Double Kick and Pin Missile, which would seem to cover those gaps, so swapping Pikachu out for Jolteon would seem like a logical choice. That said, I don't know enough about how damage is calculated to know if this makes sense. Jolteon has a high Special stat, I but I believe I have read that Pin Missile doesn't end up being that effective against Psychics once the numbers are actually crunched.

I'm curious to hear any feedback.

Btw, I realize this is a simplistic squad so forgive me. This is my first Pokemon playthrough.

Malakai

I'm right at the end of the Silph Co and my final team is starting to take shape:

This leaves me with two offensive gaps: Fighting (for use against Normal) and Bug (for use against Psychic). Jolteon learns Double Kick and Pin Missile, which would seem to cover those gaps, so swapping Pikachu out for Jolteon would seem like a logical choice. That said, I don't know enough about how damage is calculated to know if this makes sense. Jolteon has a high Special stat, I but I believe I have read that Pin Missile doesn't end up being that effective against Psychics once the numbers are actually crunched.

Btw, I realize this is a simplistic squad so forgive me. This is my first Pokemon playthrough.

Don't use Pin Missile. The move is too weak. You may just want to use Physical STAB move (think Dugtrio with Earthquake or Turos wth Double Edge) on Physic types due to Special stat being used as Special Attack and Special Defense.

eefara

I wouldn't worry about trying to find any decent bug moves for use against psychic; your options are extremely limited, and aren't generally worth it. I'd use that last slot for whoever you think would be fun to use; the rest of your team is solid enough, and I wouldn't worry about countering normal types, as they aren't generally an issue.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Jolteon doesn't exactly have the best attack stats so those move aren't going to yield much damage.

You best bet is to take advantage of Jolteon best stats which is speed and Special and have him paralyze Pokémon while firing back with Thunderbolt, honestly though Jolteon doesn't have the best movepool in gen 1 and Thunderbolt or Thunder will be his only only decent special attack.

You would be better suited with Snorlax to counter the Psychic type as he's quite bulky and has great attack stats to take psychic down as they have terrible defense.

Tom_Cody

Don't use Pin Missile. The move is too weak. You may just want to use Physical STAB move (think Dugtrio with Earthquake or Turos wth Double Edge) on Physic types due to Special stat being used as Special Attack and Special Defense.
Very helpful answer. I didn't know STAB was a thing. That definitely fills in a gap of my understanding. Thanks!

Jolteon doesn't exactly have the best attack stats so those move aren't going to yield much damage.

You best bet is to take advantage of Jolteon best stats which is speed and Special and have him paralyze Pokémon while firing back with Thunderbolt, honestly though Jolteon doesn't have the best movepool in gen 1 and Thunderbolt or Thunder will be his only only decent special attack.

You would be better suited with Snorlax to counter the Psychic type as he's quite bulky and has great attack stats to take psychic down as they have terrible defense.
Thank guys.

I decided to pull my Snorelax out of storage and he's working like a charm.

I wouldn't worry about trying to find any decent bug moves for use against psychic; your options are extremely limited, and aren't generally worth it. I'd use that last slot for whoever you think would be fun to use; the rest of your team is solid enough, and I wouldn't worry about countering normal types, as they aren't generally an issue.
I'm going to try to keep this in mind. I'll probably rotate various Pokémon through that slot.

Tom_Cody

Another damage calculation question:

How viable is Fly for Charizard? It would be nice to have fly with my main squad and I basically only use him for fire attacks and slash so I can spare the move slot. I don't have any flying moves in my party otherwise, and so it would be nice to have it for fighting types.

I just ask because almost no movesets I've seen online pair him with Fly and there seems to be such a strong negative feeling towards HMs in general.

Makonero

How viable is Fly for Charizard? It would be nice to have fly with my main squad and I basically only use him for fire attacks and slash so I can spare the move slot. I don't have any flying moves in my party otherwise, and so it would be nice to have it for fighting types.

I just ask because almost no movesets I've seen online pair him with Fly and there seems to be such a strong negative feeling towards HMs in general.

He can only learn Fly in Yellow, and it's a fine move for in-game stuff.

Do you have Yellow? Charizard can't learn Fly in Red or Blue (which probably explains the lack of moveset pairings with him).

eefara

Fly is pretty much always an excellent safe move: good damage, you're out of reach for most attacks, and it's actually a useful, long-term HM.

Fly is pretty much always an excellent safe move: good damage, you're out of reach for most attacks, and it's actually a useful, long-term HM.
Also probably the only real option for flying moves in the game. A few of the birds get Drill Peck (Fearow, Zapdos and Dodrio I believe?) but other than that you've got Wing Attack with a base power of like 30.

Gen I is so hilariously unbalanced. No decent Bug-type move, Ghost-type move, Dragon-type move. And then all of the Pokémon who never learn anything of their own type outside of TMs (e.g. Rhyhorn's learnset has no Ground-type moves, Voltorb's no Electric-type).

Revisiting the originals was super fun (finished the dex in Yellow and have Blue just to dick around in every once in a while) but I would love if they released Gold/Silver eventually, it's a much more functionally balanced game even if it suffers for world design.

eefara

Also probably the only real option for flying moves in the game. A few of the birds get Drill Peck (Fearow, Zapdos and Dodrio I believe?) but other than that you've got Wing Attack with a base power of like 30.

Gen I is so hilariously unbalanced. No decent Bug-type move, Ghost-type move, Dragon-type move. And then all of the Pokémon who never learn anything of their own type outside of TMs (e.g. Rhyhorn's learnset has no Ground-type moves, Voltorb's no Electric-type).

Revisiting the originals was super fun (finished the dex in Yellow and have Blue just to dick around in every once in a while) but I would love if they released Gold/Silver eventually, it's a much more functionally balanced game even if it suffers for world design.

I'm crossing my fingers that they're just waiting for the Switch release, then announce Gen II, preferably for both Switch and 3DS.

Speaking of Nintendo not announcing things, I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about Pokémon Bank compatibility for gen 1 yet?

JoeM86

I'm crossing my fingers that they're just waiting for the Switch release, then announce Gen II, preferably for both Switch and 3DS.

Speaking of Nintendo not announcing things, I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about Pokémon Bank compatibility for gen 1 yet?

January :)

Tom_Cody

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, it ended up working well for Charizard. Solid as an attack and very convenient to actually have someone with fly in my normal squad.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, it ended up working well for Charizard. Solid as an attack and very convenient to actually have someone with fly in my normal squad.

Here's the moveset I went with my Charizard in Yellow,

Fly, a decent flying stab move
Slash, great in gen 1 as Charizard is pretty fast so he will land critical hit often
Flamethrower, a great stab fire move
Submission, risky but decent in taking out rock types should Charizard need to.

Top Bottom