• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

You could use the Trainer Escape glitch to get all the Pokemon you don't have regular access to in your version.
Near Fuschia City is grass with Ditto in it. When they transform, they copy your stats perfectly (apart from Speed, if I recall). The Pokémon you encounter using the Trainer Escape glitch is based on the Special stat of the last Pokémon you encountered whether it was in a trainer battle or not. Thus if you let one of these wild Ditto transform into a Pokémon with a special stat of 21, you'll encounter a Mew when the glitch is done.

The following is a link to all the index values for Gen 1 Pokémon, which happens to correspond to the Special stat of the last Pokémon you need to encounter to make the glitch work. Note that the Special stat triggers on a Mod 256 basis (go too high and it loops around back to 1), so to get very low Special Stat values, you can do it with Pokémon with Special stats over 256:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_index_number_(Generation_I)

Another useful thing to know is that technically, you can escape the first trainer, then fight a wild Pokémon to set up the glitch and not fight a second trainer at all if you use Strength to move a boulder before you do it. To do this, escape from the first trainer, go into the Pokémon Center and use Bill's PC to change boxes. For some reason, the PC still works even though your Start menu is disabled. Changing boxes saves the game automatically, so you can now reset the game and get your start menu back.

A good place to do this is Fuschia City. The route to the East has wild Ditto as well as trainers you can escape from on it and there is a Strength boulder in the Warden's house. The procedure then becomes:

1. Go to the route East of Fuschia City.

2. Trainer Escape from the guy at the far end of the route where the road turns North. Fly/Teleport to Fuschia City.

3. Go into the Pokémon Center and use Bill's PC to change boxes. If you haven't done so already, withdraw a Pokémon with a Special stat that corresponds to the index number of the Pokémon you want to encounter. Remember to change boxes again after to save if you do this.

4. Reset

5. Go to the Warden's house. Move the boulder there by at least one space

6. Go to the route to the East of Fuschia City. Put the Pokémon with the desired special stat at the head of your party and find a wild Ditto in the grass near Fuschia.

7. Once the Ditto has transformed into your Pokémon, defeat it or run away

8. Go East until you see the trainer you originally escaped from. The encounter with the desired Pokémon will now trigger, provided you did everything correctly.

Nerokis

I'm about to be on a plane for several hours, and I figured that would be a great time to relive Blue. I don't think I've played it since I was around 10 years-old, but for some reason it feels so much more recent than that. I'm excited to jump in and weigh it against my memories.

Theorymon

This is a bit off topic, but I feel like I should bring it up. So I was rummaging around my video game boxes, and I found my old copy of Yellow version I got on release day.

Turns out, the fucker's battery still works!

Now what I want to know is: Is there any way I could dump the save of this game or something? I'm shocked the battery is still holding up, and I'd love to preserve my memories of the game forever if possible, since I have no idea how long this battery is gonna last!

JoeM86

CdqHqUeWEAAGKwp.jpg:orig
Finally arrived. Was stuck in customs for 2 weeks -_-

fantastico

This is a bit off topic, but I feel like I should bring it up. So I was rummaging around my video game boxes, and I found my old copy of Yellow version I got on release day.

Turns out, the fucker's battery still works!

Now what I want to know is: Is there any way I could dump the save of this game or something? I'm shocked the battery is still holding up, and I'd love to preserve my memories of the game forever if possible, since I have no idea how long this battery is gonna last!

Yes, you need the Mega Memory from Datel or mega memory card by interact. They might be getting quite hard to find as it's an older product but eBay or Amazon should have something.

Yellow version get.

Haven't touched Gen 1 since before Gold and Silver. This will be fun.

Almost went with Red, because I never played it or Blue (I started with Yellow), but nostalgia won.

Wurliwurm

I am doing a red nuzlocke run. I have already defeated all 8 gym leaders and went through the victory road. now i started my training for the elite 4, and my first pokemon to die is during a random training session. :(

Kinokou

I blacked out for the first time against Giovanni's Dugtrio. Fissure is so dumb. :(

Just beat him myself, somehow my Starmie was faster so, so it went smoothly after that.

Only the Persian getting a Crit KO on my Jolteon who I think I actually have no use of any more as I can just as well give thunderbolt to Starmie and pick up a legendary bird :\

Just beat him myself, somehow my Starmie was faster so, so it went smoothly after that.

Only the Persian getting a Crit KO on my Jolteon who I think I actually have no use of any more as I can just as well give thunderbolt to Starmie and pick up a legendary bird :\

Jolteon can have uses - being faster than Zapdos is a good one, from a competitive standpoint. He'll get STAB from Thunderbolt, which Starmie won't. From an in-game perspective, he'll get Pin Missile which really hurts Psychic, Grass, and Poison types. Double Kick is a good move against Rock types that would otherwise resist Jolteon.

You can definitely go with Starmie or Zapdos, and I frequently do, but Jolteon has uses.

Firemind

Jolteon can have uses - being faster than Zapdos is a good one, from a competitive standpoint. He'll get STAB from Thunderbolt, which Starmie won't. From an in-game perspective, he'll get Pin Missile which really hurts Psychic, Grass, and Poison types. Double Kick is a good move against Rock types that would otherwise resist Jolteon.

You can definitely go with Starmie or Zapdos, and I frequently do, but Jolteon has uses.
Starmie with Surf, Blizzard, Psychic and Thunderbolt is probably the most OP Pokemon ingame.

Starmie with Surf, Blizzard, Psychic and Thunderbolt is probably the most OP Pokemon ingame.

Ingame half of them are OP. Chansey with Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Double-edge/Softboiled, Exeggutor with Mega Drain/Psychic/Explosion/Whatever, Lapras with Blizzard/Surf/Psychic/Thunderbolt, Alakazam with Psychic/Literally Anything Else, Tauros with Body Slam/Blizzard/Earthquake/Thunderbolt... Shit, a Golem with Earthquake and Rock Slide can demolish most everything ingame.

I'm just pointing out that Jolteon has its uses, that's all.

kubus

Fuck this stupid Safari. I have three Chanseys and two Scythers + all the other Pokemon but the game absolutely refuses to give me a Kanghaskan, Pinsir and Tauros.

There really isn't any trick to it besides spamming Safari Balls + throwing rocks hoping they don't run away?

v1perz53

Man, I probably played through R/B/Y 50 times fully through between 1999 and 2006 when I took a break from Pokemon (because I was too cool for it in HS, sigh), and I always considered it to be amazing and hugely responsible for shaping my childhood. But going back to it now I find I just... can't enjoy it very much. Probably a combination of missing features from later on, no physical/special split and just having played through too many times, but I can't settle on a team I want to use because everything that gets half decent moves I've used 20 times already and everything else is stuck with like 40 BP moves at endgame.

When I got this I was sure it would be the time I finally got all 151 pokemon, and I considered even making a living dex to eventually transfer forward via pokemon bank. But I just am not feeling it, and I stopped just after Rock Tunnel.

I'd probably be loving this if I played R/B/Y 1-2 times as a kid and was coming back now, but since I can tell you where every Rare Candy is in the game from memory as well as what most trainers Pokemon are on a random route, I think I'll just go back to my ORAS/XY playthrus. I did want to go through a game from each gen for the 20th anniversary but doesn't seem like it will happen.

Might try a Nuzlocke but it was never really my thing. Oh well, I guess R/B/Y will remain as a fond childhood formative memory, not something I replay now.

BTHR Zero X

Fuck this stupid Safari. I have three Chanseys and two Scythers + all the other Pokemon but the game absolutely refuses to give me a Kanghaskan, Pinsir and Tauros.

There really isn't any trick to it besides spamming Safari Balls + throwing rocks hoping they don't run away?

which version are you playing?

Because if it is Red/Blue go to the area in the Safari where the pokemon are and run out of time. Then fly to Cinnabar island and surf up and down the right side. You will encounter all pokemon from that area in the water there. Catch away. If you have not been to Cinnabar go to Seafoam Island and surf up and down the side that you get to from Fuchsia.

CTLance

Obligatory rage: Fuck Gary Oaks and his ambushes. Shit's personal again.

Also, damn shame that the resolution of the upper screen doesn't allow for a "clean" zoom in 1:1 mode (i.e. 160x144->320x288). The 1:1 virtual GBC screen on my non-XL n3DS is seriously tiny. Someone hand me that magnifying lens thing I had as a kid. Oh, the nostalgia.

That said, I'm really enjoying the "new" version. Never played yellow as a kid, I was on team red back then. Also, Pokemon tagging along should be a thing again. Sure, the rat gets in the way on occasion, but it feels great to see it waddle after the PC. Wish the entire team followed him around.

aadiboy

http://www.dragonflycave.com/safarizone.aspx
According to this site, your highest probability of catching Pokemon in the safari zone is to just throw balls. Don't bother with bait or rocks.

Kinokou

So, I'm setting myself up to duplicate some HM's before hitting the leauge but it is a little unclear to me how the memory/inventory list of the game works in regards to temporary items.

Is it enough to soft reset the game to wipe it? Because then I would only have to clear out Cerulan/route 24, Cinnabar and the mansion to go glitch safe, I think?

I'm a little nervous so I'm starting by getting Alakazam, grind it up to level 49+ to hit special 183 or 184 to ensure hitting a safe missinNo. And then I flee it or defeat it?

Many many questions, but I would hate doing anything that messes with the game in any way.

Outside of pin missile the rest of the squad will take care of all that, went with Articuno as the choice for Starmie was either t-bolt or ice beam and I found the perfect nickname for Articuno (Aviato) whilst for Zapdos I was stumped. But now it is becoming a bit clear that Zapdos and Moltres should be Hooli and Nucleus.

Yes I am very exited for Silicon Valley season 3!

So, I'm setting myself up to duplicate some HM's before hitting the leauge but it is a little unclear to me how the memory/inventory list of the game works in regards to temporary items.

Is it enough to soft reset the game to wipe it? Because then I would only have to clear out Cerulan/route 24, Cinnabar and the mansion to go glitch safe, I think?

I'm a little nervous so I'm starting by getting Alakazam, grind it up to level 49+ to hit special 183 or 184 to ensure hitting a safe missinNo. And then I flee it or defeat it?

Many many questions, but I would hate doing anything that messes with the game in any way.

Outside of pin missile the rest of the squad will take care of all that, went with Articuno as the choice for Starmie was either t-bolt or ice beam and I found the perfect nickname for Articuno (Aviato) whilst for Zapdos I was stumped. But now it is becoming a bit clear that Zapdos and Moltres should be Hooli and Nucleus.

Yes I am very exited for Silicon Valley season 3!
You mean TMs. HMs are already infinite use.

Really, the best way to item duplicate is to use the Old Man / Cinnabar surfing trick. There are calculators online that'll tell you what kind of Missingno you'll encounter based on your name. It's highly likely that you're only ever going to encounter safe Missingno anyway.

The other thing is that even the dangerous Missingno aren't going to do too much damage if you just avoid catching them. Every Missingno is going to screw up your Hall of Fame data as part of the same process that duplicates the sixth item in your inventory.

Cilla

I just recently caught all six Pokemon I want but now my team is really low. 35-20 at Cinnabar. Where's a good place to train in Yellow?

Kinokou

You mean TMs. HMs are already infinite use.

Really, the best way to item duplicate is to use the Old Man / Cinnabar surfing trick. There are calculators online that'll tell you what kind of Missingno you'll encounter based on your name. It's highly likely that you're only ever going to encounter safe Missingno anyway.

The other thing is that even the dangerous Missingno aren't going to do too much damage if you just avoid catching them. Every Missingno is going to screw up your Hall of Fame data as part of the same process that duplicates the sixth item in your inventory.

Since I'm on yellow the old man trick will not work from what I understand. Do you have a link to such a calculator? I would like to see what for fun and I don't get the table set ups :S

I'm not sure if I'll replay Red and play through Blue right away, or maybe play through Alpha Sapphire first. I need to beat that and Diamond, and perhaps Heart Gold if I can borrow it back from the person I gave it to.

I don't think they bought their son a 3DS, so it's probably just sitting there unless they sold it.

Man, what in the hell were they thinking with Yellow's level progression? Both Sabrina and Koga's Pokémon are far higher in levels than anything else you'll have seen up until that point- all of Sabrina's Pokémon are the same level as Giovanni's main Pokémon in Red and Blue, for goodness's sake.

That aside, it's been a hell of a lot of fun. I'm running with the sort of team I used when I was playing the game sixteen years rather than as I would now, so I've got Pikachu, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Sandslash and Haunter with me. The game's challenging but not impossible, although I suspect Lorelei might give me some issues.

Junahu

Silph Co. is a legit dungeon. I love XY but compare Pokeball Factory to Silph Co. and weep.
I love how you can quickly beat silph co if you know where to go (it can be shorter than even the Pokeball Factory), but most players dig in their heels and clear out the whole building top to bottom.
It's great that how long the dungeon lasts is up to the player's intuition and resilience.

I looked up a guide on how to do the glitch to catch Mew (and other Pokemon), and I think I get it, but how feasible is it to use for each of the Pokemon you can't catch in your version of the game (including Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan, Kabuto/Omanyte, etc)? It looks like it's possible to run out of trainers who can initiate the trick or something.

I want to get Yellow, but nearly everybody I know got Yellow also, and I still want to be able to complete the Pokedex.

BTHR Zero X

I looked up a guide on how to do the glitch to catch Mew (and other Pokemon), and I think I get it, but how feasible is it to use for each of the Pokemon you can't catch in your version of the game (including Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan, Kabuto/Omanyte, etc)? It looks like it's possible to run out of trainers who can initiate the trick or something.

I want to get Yellow, but nearly everybody I know got Yellow also, and I still want to be able to complete the Pokedex.

You do not run out of trainers if you get to their pokemon that has the stat needed and wipe out on it.

You do not run out of trainers if you get to their pokemon that has the stat needed and wipe out on it.

From what I understand, the Ditto method means you don't need to worry about the second trainer, is that right? I should just make sure to keep the gambler trainer on route 8 active for the Fly portion of the trick? Can he "spot" you an unlimited number of times?

Kinokou

From what I understand, the Ditto method means you don't need to worry about the second trainer, is that right? I should just make sure to keep the gambler trainer on route 8 active for the Fly portion of the trick? Can he "spot" you an unlimited number of times?

Yes since you never win over him you can use him forever.

When you don't have any more trainers left you activate the second trainer battle by using strength on a boulder, one of the best locations is in the Safari Wardens house. But since your menu is blocked you need to save the game by changing the box on the pc and restart the game to move the boulder.

Just did this to secure myself a Alakazam to be able to hit the so called safe missingno 183 or 184 for item cloning in Yellow with the least possible effort (except Mewtwo since I want to register it in the dex after the E4)

Yes since you never win over him you can use him forever.

When you don't have any more trainers left you activate the second trainer battle by using strength on a boulder, one of the best locations is in the Safari Wardens house. But since your menu is blocked you need to save the game by changing the box on the pc and restart the game to move the boulder.

Just did this to secure myself a Alakazam to be able to hit the so called safe missingno 183 or 184 for item cloning in Yellow with the least possible effort (except Mewtwo since I want to register it in the dex after the E4)

So if I get Pokemon Yellow, then as long as I keep that particular gambler trainer active, I don't need to worry about backing myself into a wall? I can just do whatever else I want and not have to constantly worry about doing something wrong/missing something/avoiding anything else?

Arcia

Banned
So if I get Pokemon Yellow, then as long as I keep that particular gambler trainer active, I don't need to worry about backing myself into a wall? I can just do whatever else I want and not have to avoid doing other stuff?

Just be careful doing the glitch. A side effect of the Mew Glitch is that it can possibly delete items and event sprites (like people blocking doors or one time pokemon) in areas you visit while the glitch is active.

This can be good because it can let you do things like delete snorlax so you can get around it early, but it can also delete important one time items like the card key in Silph Co. (which happened to someone in this thread).

Try to finish plot and pick up items in areas that you plan to go through while using the glitch first. Also reload the game before you do the glitch to wipe its loaded memory and start fresh so it won't delete items in areas you went to before you activate the glitch.

Just be careful doing the glitch. A side effect of the Mew Glitch is that it can possibly delete items and event sprites (like people blocking doors or one time pokemon) in areas you visit while the glitch is active.

This can be good because it can let you do things like delete snorlax so you can get around it early, but it can also delete important one time items like the card key in Silph Co. (which happened to someone in this thread).

Try to finish plot and pick up items in areas that you plan to go through while using the glitch first. Also reload the game before you do the glitch to wipe its loaded memory and start fresh so it won't delete items in areas you went to before you activate the glitch.

Great, thanks for the heads up. I'll probably play through the full game before I go back and use the glitch. It would have been nice to have Mew on my main team, but it's not worth the risk.

Arcia

Banned
Great, thanks for the heads up. I'll probably play through the full game before I go back and use the glitch. It would have been nice to have Mew on my main team, but it's not worth the risk.

You can get Mew safely without deleting anything important. Teleport away from the trainer in the grass just to the left of nugget bridge, then fight the swimmer in Cerulean Gym who has the Shellder. Nothing important should get removed, though if you want to be extra safe just make sure to finish doing stuff in Cerulean first.

Its using the glitch in later areas that can be more troublesome.

Awesome; thanks!

When you use this glitch, are the stats of Pokemon you catch fixed, or random? I was wondering if I could keep using it to get a Mew with decent IV's (not much of a concern now, but will be when we can transfer Pokemon via Pokemon Bank).

Top Bottom