• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Crayolan

jokes on you though, parasect is the worst. and they still have gust

Parasect is surprisingly effective in gen 1, or at least was in my playthrough. Though weak at only 20 BP, STAB Leech Life does work on the huge number of poison types in Kanto, and completely destroys any grass types since almost all of them are also half poison.

Then Parasect also gets Slash with its silly crit rate in gen 1 and Spore which can be used to give you a free switch or a free solarbeam.

Macka

Just cleared out Silph Co. Was much easier than I remembered, but still probably the hardest 'dungeon' in the series. Current team (all level 36):

025.png
009.png
071.png
085.png
106.png

Decided to box Nidoking, as I've known all along that I would be replacing him eventually, and would rather just keep the main crew strong. There are no real duds at this point though - even Pikachu excels with Thunderbolt, although I imagine he's going to become noticeably less powerful soon. Victreebel's Razor Leaf is ridiculously OP lol.

Upload to Miiverse and grab it from there. :)
Cheers! I want to take screenshots of the team after I beat the League.

Arcia

Banned
I may have glitched myself into an untenable position - I've been messing around with the Mew Glitch inside the Silph Co building and I think the Card Key was deleted from the 5th Floor before I could get it. It means I cannot complete the dungeon or ever challenge Sabrina and thus can never beat the game.

Does anyone know a way around this? Is there a challengeable trainer in Saffron I can use to get rid of the Rocket in front of the Gym? Can I skip the Marsh Badge gate on Victory Road?

Okay, so I think you can get the game to delete a rocket grunt because their sprite is considered temporary. Basically, you need to visit Saffron, save with the grunt you want to delete on screen, reset your game (to clear the games loaded memory), then fly away and go to the area with your long range trainer and fly away from them, go to another area to battle a trainer, then fly back to your long range trainer and finish the glitch.

If the area where your long range trainer is in, the trainer you fought is in, and any other area you had to walk through have no more items, one time event Pokemon, or other removable sprites, the game should then be forced to delete a removable sprite in Saffron, which will hopefully be the rocket grunt blocking your way, though it is also possible that some other rocket grunt in the city will be deleted first and you may have to do this multiple times until the right one gets removed.

Though I do wonder if Giovanni will still spawn in Viridian Gym if you never fought him in Silph Co.... Knowing how poorly programmed these games are, there is a good chance he will still be there since the trigger for entering the gym is having 7 badges, not defeating him at Silph Co.

cory64

All-Time US eShop Update:

Yellow – #9 All Games, #5 VC
Red – N/A All Games, #10 VC (the #9 game is #16 among all games so it has some work to do)
Blue – N/A All Games, #14 VC

Ceej

Gah I'm not sure what to get. Red or Yellow. (No getting both isn't an option right now!) I love Ken Sugimori's art in Yellow, but Red is kind of the "purest" in the sense that it doesn't have the pikachu emphasis, etc. and of course the original GB color scheme haha

Kyzer

Banned
Damn this game is triggering the MMO loot whore inside me with these gen I mpvesets. I will be playing through these games many more times in the coming years

Fissure Blastoise and Horn Drill Dragonite lmao

Kinokou

Finally got Chansey! Now I only have 6 captures/evolutions to take care of before exp all, which I really need since my team levels are going all over the place due poor typing choices.

Gah I'm not sure what to get. Red or Yellow. (No getting both isn't an option right now!) I love Ken Sugimori's art in Yellow, but Red is kind of the "purest" in the sense that it doesn't have the pikachu emphasis, etc. and of course the original GB color scheme haha

Box the rodent and it doesn't feel like there is Pikachu emphasis at all.

They pretty much have to release G/S/C now. It's easy money.

I'm praying for it along with Stadium. Starting in Johto is just so good. I beat Gold in January, Soul Silver in February and I'm still down to play them again. One of my GOAT games.

Right after finishing Yellow I went and started White for the first time (LTTP). Gave me the same fresh feeling I had when I played gen 1 as a kid. Beat it in two days with a 35 hour save. Off topic but holy shit Krookodile and his Foul Play-Earthquake-Brick Breaker moveset is so OP. Beat the E4, N, and G under leveled like a mofo (low-mid 40s) because of him mostly.

Debating on playing either Alpha Sapphire or White 2 next.. Any advice guys? I'm afraid running through Unova again will be too soon, but I've heard there's a lot different about it.

Wrap/Bind are the most bullshit moves. Erika had all her Pokemon EXCLUSIVELY use those moves against me. Like she wasn't even trying to fight, just waste my time.

And while I'm complaining, inventory limit was a mistake and should never have been in the game. Pointless restriction.

Red is still fun. Finally got Fly

Seven Force said:
They pretty much have to release G/S/C now. It's easy money.
Crystal might encounter some problems if they do decide to bring it back and it would most likely require some more work than the other games.
Japanese Crystal has the PCC in Goldenrod City which could only be fully used with the Mobile GB adapter and worked very much like the GTS/Wi-Fi features of Gen 4. Now, as they've shown here with Gen 1, they don't want to re-release the games with missing features. They could just work on this version of the game and spoof the old servers using the 3DS' connection, but that would mean only Japan gets to trade and battle online. As shown with how America reacted to Japan getting Shiny Jirachi in X/Y while our legitimate Shiny Jirachi from the Colosseum bonus disc were blocked from Bank, this would probably be the cause of a massive amount of whining, threats, and change.org petitions.
Now, it is true that most of the menus and the PCC itself were fully translated in the English versions of the game, but that would require some editing to get them back. It's even worse for the European language games because they have very little to no translations for these things, so they'd have to get new localizers in and then add them to the credits. It might just not be worth it, because no matter what someone's not going to be happy (missing features, region locked feature, price increase). G/S should be easy enough to port, though.

Also yeah I'd love to see Stadium make a return, would be great to curse the AI all over again as my Blizzard misses 6 times in a row and their Horn Drill somehow manages to crit.

I've been playing Yellow on and off since launch and I've only just realised that pressing the X button opens up the menu like in the newer games. Or rather, I've only just noticed that I've been pressing it via reflex without remembering that the GBC had no X button.

What a nice touch.

Dishwalla

Banned
Wrap/Bind are the most bullshit moves. Erika had all her Pokemon EXCLUSIVELY use those moves against me. Like she wasn't even trying to fight, just waste my time.

I think it's dumb how they still hit Ghost types, it doesn't affect them or take away HP, but it still makes it so that you can't move.

Also some of you guys are so mean to your Pikachu, bet he hates you. You will never know the love of that cute little Pika.

I think it's dumb how they still hit Ghost types, it doesn't affect them or take away HP, but it still makes it so that you can't move.

Also some of you guys are so mean to your Pikachu, bet he hates you. You will never know the love of that cute little Pika.

Wtf really? I can't tell if that means Ghost types are broken or Wrap is. Gonna say both.

And I love that chubby little mouse. I forced him to change the way he looks, but I still love him.

Crystal might encounter some problems if they do decide to bring it back and it would most likely require some more work than the other games.
Japanese Crystal has the PCC in Goldenrod City which could only be fully used with the Mobile GB adapter and worked very much like the GTS/Wi-Fi features of Gen 4. Now, as they've shown here with Gen 1, they don't want to re-release the games with missing features. They could just work on this version of the game and spoof the old servers using the 3DS' connection, but that would mean only Japan gets to trade and battle online. As shown with how America reacted to Japan getting Shiny Jirachi in X/Y while our legitimate Shiny Jirachi from the Colosseum bonus disc were blocked from Bank, this would probably be the cause of a massive amount of whining, threats, and change.org petitions.
Now, it is true that most of the menus and the PCC itself were fully translated in the English versions of the game, but that would require some editing to get them back. It's even worse for the European language games because they have very little to no translations for these things, so they'd have to get new localizers in and then add them to the credits. It might just not be worth it, because no matter what someone's not going to be happy (missing features, region locked feature, price increase). G/S should be easy enough to port, though.

Also yeah I'd love to see Stadium make a return, would be great to curse the AI all over again as my Blizzard misses 6 times in a row and their Horn Drill somehow manages to crit.

If anything, R/B/Y selling as well as it is right now shows that they could get away with local wi-fi only and have it not be a big deal. I really doubt that it's going to stop them from doing Crystal. What I am interested in seeing is if they'll emulate the Mystery Gift feature. Should be possible since the 3DS has an IR port like the GBC did.

Then again, this time last year, people were saying they'd never go the extra mile to do wireless trading/battling for a potential Gen 1 VC release and we all know how that turned out, so who knows?

Okay, so I think you can get the game to delete a rocket grunt because their sprite is considered temporary. Basically, you need to visit Saffron, save with the grunt you want to delete on screen, reset your game (to clear the games loaded memory), then fly away and go to the area with your long range trainer and fly away from them, go to another area to battle a trainer, then fly back to your long range trainer and finish the glitch.

If the area where your long range trainer is in, the trainer you fought is in, and any other area you had to walk through have no more items, one time event Pokemon, or other removable sprites, the game should then be forced to delete a removable sprite in Saffron, which will hopefully be the rocket grunt blocking your way, though it is also possible that some other rocket grunt in the city will be deleted first and you may have to do this multiple times until the right one gets removed.

Though I do wonder if Giovanni will still spawn in Viridian Gym if you never fought him in Silph Co.... Knowing how poorly programmed these games are, there is a good chance he will still be there since the trigger for entering the gym is having 7 badges, not defeating him at Silph Co.
Thanks for responding so quickly. I will have to try it tonight.

Many years ago, I was given Pokemon Blue version for Christmas along with a GameBoy Color. I started with a Charmander and made my way through the game. It was an arduous journey and I enjoyed every minute. I finally reached Champion Lance but lost, however, I made a save right before I was to fight him and left for school. Little did I know, I would never finish the game for it was stolen from me (sister's fault, she lost it). I was then given Yellow version as a birthday present and I've been a part of every main Pokemon title since then. However, I never did finish Blue version. With this release, I will have a second chance at redeeming myself.

I played at my own slow pace but I finally managed to defeat the Elite Four and Champion last night.

Team: Charizard/Raichu/Mew/Victreebel/Articuno/Snorlax

I didn't grind (say for just battling the trainers) and my Pokemon were between Lv.46-50.

Final thoughts: I enjoyed the hell out of it despite being old, I wasn't bothered by the old mechanics. I'm moving to Yellow next (after I catch Mewtwo). Razor Leaf and Slash were broken as hell with a near 100% chance of Critical Hit. Also, catching the Legendary birds was bull. The Pokeball missed. It missed?! I forgot it did that and I'm glad it was removed from later releases.

Arcia

Banned
Thanks for responding so quickly. I will have to try it tonight.

Well, I hope it works. I am not far enough in the game to test it myself, though I have successfuly deleted a snorlax sprite before so I know a bit about how the whole process goes.

Edit: Oh no, I just did a little more research and it looks like it may not be possible :(.

According to the commentary on this TAS video:

Skipping Snorlax (RBGY)
The object that ends up disappearing is the last vanishable object encountered before the menu pops up at the end of the trainer-fly glitch. This can be a legendary pokemon (e.g. Snorlax), a character (e.g. guard in Saffron), or an item (e.g. antidote on Route 1). It may be encountered before trainer-fly is initiated, during the time the start button is disabled, or even after the start-button is reactivated.

A room has at most one vanishable object, and that object is "encountered" just by entering the room even if the object does not appear on-screen. If this one object has already been removed, in the end the glitch has no effect. On route 1, this one object is the antidote. In Saffron City, this is the guard blocking the way to Copycat. Thus, it does not seem possible to remove either of the other two guards in Saffron.

You can perhaps use the walk through walls glitch to walk on top of the gym building and get into the door from the top, though it is a pretty complicated glitch to perform. Or you may just have to start over if that doesn't work :(

Well, I hope it works. I am not far enough in the game to test it myself, though I have successfuly deleted a snorlax sprite before so I know a bit about how the whole process goes.

Edit: Oh no, I just did a little more research and it looks like it may not be possible :(.

According to the commentary on this TAS video:

You can perhaps use the walk through walls glitch to walk on top of the gym building and get into the door from the top, though it is a pretty complicated glitch to perform. Or you may just have to start over if that doesn't work :(
That would explain why I couldn't get it to work before. No worries, I think I found a reasonably manageable method of pulling it off.

http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Walk_through_walls_trick_(museum_guy_method)

Twenty years of built-up Pokémon expertise is really something else.

Arcia

Banned
That would explain why I couldn't get it to work before. No worries, I think I found a reasonably manageable method of pulling it off.

http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Walk_through_walls_trick_(museum_guy_method)

Twenty years of built-up Pokémon expertise is really something else.

Man, no kidding. I've never even heard of that variation of that glitch before! It also seems way better because you can have a full party with you instead of one, including a Pokemon that knows Fly so you can escape from behind the Team Rocket guy when you try to exit the gym building.

I love how overpowered razor leaf and blizzard are. One thing I don't understand is why razor leaf is "not very effective" against Gyarados and Tentacool. Was this one of the kinks gen 1 was working out?

Arcia

Banned
I love how overpowered razor leaf and blizzard are. One thing I don't understand is why razor leaf is "not very effective" against Gyarados and Tentacool. Was this one of the kinks gen 1 was working out?

Its an error the gen 1 games often make. Obviously it should be saying that a grass move should be doing neutral damage against gyarados and tentacruel, but for some reason the game is only acknowledging their resistant type and gives you the wrong message. The damage should be fine though.

Makonero

Its an error the gen 1 games often make. Obviously it should be saying that a grass move should be doing neutral damage against gyarados and tentacruel, but for some reason the game is only acknowledging their resistant type and gives you the wrong message. The damage should be fine though.
The game only ever checks the secondary type, so because Gyarados is part flying, it shows the wrong message. But you still do neutral damage.

Man, no kidding. I've never even heard of that variation of that glitch before! It also seems way better because you can have a full party with you instead of one, including a Pokemon that knows Fly so you can escape from behind the Team Rocket guy when you try to exit the gym building.
Oh dear. It turns out the Museum Guy method only works on Yellow and not Red or Blue (I'm playing Blue). Not to worry, after three attempts, I managed to get the Ledge Method to work (having to have a party of all poisoned Pokemon meant I had to leave Venusaur and Nidoking in the box) and I now have a Marshbadge!

Time will tell if I'll be able to face Giovanni at Viridian gym, but I can at the very least attempt to walk past the guards on Victory Road.

Oh dear. It turns out the Museum Guy method only works on Yellow and not Red or Blue (I'm playing Blue). Not to worry, after three attempts, I managed to get the Ledge Method to work (having to have a party of all poisoned Pokemon meant I had to leave Venusaur and Nidoking in the box) and I now have a Marshbadge!

Time will tell if I'll be able to face Giovanni at Viridian gym, but I can at the very least attempt to walk past the guards on Victory Road.

Walk through walls will not get you past those as their triggers extend for the entire horizontal line they're on IIRC

I've had a blast running through Red version using the glitches. Using the pokedoll to get the pokeflute and around Snorlax was game changing. It was an interesting feeling using an actual Mew on Mewtwo. But all in all it was a blast, I made sure to make my final save right next to the truck. Feels good.

Top Bottom